Is Mid year worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I go I'm staying either at Harrah's, Caesars, or the Bellagio. If these guys keep offering to give me free rooms in Atlantic City, no reason why they can't offer it in Vegas.

Members don't see this ad.

If I go I'm staying either at Harrah's, Caesars, or the Bellagio. If these guys keep offering to give me free rooms in Atlantic City, no reason why they can't offer it in Vegas.

Do you love to gamble A LOT? If you do many hotels will love to offer you free rooms. LOL

If you're booking through ashp for Aria, Mon night is already sold out :( Since I couldn't get Aria, went for the second cheapest (as I hear luxor is a dump), NY NY.

Oh? This is where I'm staying, as that is what the governemt will reimburse for. Is it really that bad?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh? This is where I'm staying, as that is what the governemt will reimburse for. Is it really that bad?

Not as dumpy as Excalibur, but there's a reason that's what the gov't will pay for.

Try to priceline or hotwire those hotels...usually a better price. This isn't a popular time to go to Vegas for normal people so there are deals to be had!

Given how cheap vegas has been now is the time to splurge and go for higher end properties. Next time Midyear is back in LV prices will be back to normal.

Didn't want to start a whole new thread, but how important is midyear for 4th year students. I heard some people say they felt it was wasted money and other people got residencies without going to midyear.

I only ask because I know it's going to cost me at least $1000 with plane tickets and everything else, which for me isn't easy to come by. My state has an annual pharmacy convention and they do a residency showcase there. If I'm planning to stay in state and just attend this, will that be enough? I know if I want to do programs out of my state, I will for sure go to midyear. I'm just wondering if it's necessary if I plan to just apply instate?

Now one thing I hated about Midyear last year was how much walking was involved. I walk into the place from the beginning of the convention hall (like near the place where you pick up the your credentials), and it is a ****ing long ass walk all the way to the residency showcase.

Wanna leave the residency showcase and grab some food from the food court, sure, just gotta walk like 800 feet first.

Maybe its just me and my deteriorating physical condition (increase in weight) since I've gotten so dependent on my car the last few years. If I go to school, I park right in front of the entrance. Go to a restaurant, park right in front of the place. Go to work, park near the entrance. Not to mention taking the elevator for anything.

Now one thing I hated about Midyear last year was how much walking was involved. I walk into the place from the beginning of the convention hall (like near the place where you pick up the your credentials), and it is a ****ing long ass walk all the way to the residency showcase.

Wanna leave the residency showcase and grab some food from the food court, sure, just gotta walk like 800 feet first.

Maybe its just me and my deteriorating physical condition (increase in weight) since I've gotten so dependent on my car the last few years. If I go to school, I park right in front of the entrance. Go to a restaurant, park right in front of the place. Go to work, park near the entrance. Not to mention taking the elevator for anything.

Don't be ridiculous, walking 800 feet is not a big deal. That's a sign to you you should exercise more.:smuggrin:

Don't be ridiculous, walking 800 feet is not a big deal. That's a sign to you you should exercise more.:smuggrin:

It's about 15% of a mile. And its not a one way trip, its a lot of back and forth. Considering that the walk from the French Quarter to the convention center was like 2 miles, it is kinda a lot. Especially when your knee cartilage is non-existent, like me.

It's about 15% of a mile. And its not a one way trip, its a lot of back and forth. Considering that the walk from the French Quarter to the convention center was like 2 miles, it is kinda a lot. Especially when your knee cartilage is non-existent, like me.

Don't be a pansy and pull the knee cartilage excuse. I haven't had meniscus since I was 14, and have had 4 knee surgeries. I run at least 3 miles a day. Excuse fail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't want to start a whole new thread, but how important is midyear for 4th year students. I heard some people say they felt it was wasted money and other people got residencies without going to midyear.

I only ask because I know it's going to cost me at least $1000 with plane tickets and everything else, which for me isn't easy to come by. My state has an annual pharmacy convention and they do a residency showcase there. If I'm planning to stay in state and just attend this, will that be enough? I know if I want to do programs out of my state, I will for sure go to midyear. I'm just wondering if it's necessary if I plan to just apply instate?

You don't need to go to Midyear. There were several people in my class who got residencies on the other side of the country and did not bother with Midyear, though it's possible that they had some other contact with the programs that they were interested in.

Midyear is just another way to gather information on the residencies, so it may be to your benefit to attend but it isn't 100% necessary.

Two of the places I've worked have each had a pharmacist that goes to Vegas 4+ /yr at least. Both said Aria was super nice and the best out of the options through ashp.

aria is nice. Never stayed at Mandalay....also Mandalay is $189 vs. $119 Aria? Anyone wanna share a room?

aria is nice. Never stayed at Mandalay....also Mandalay is $189 vs. $119 Aria? Anyone wanna share a room?

Mine is free.

Don't you get some big fancy suite, being a big DOP and all?

I'd share one, but sharing a room with someone over the internet sounds like the beginning of a dateline-this-person-ended-up-in-a-body-bag sort of thing :laugh:

With Keith Morrison narrating......awesome.

I'd share one, but sharing a room with someone over the internet sounds like the beginning of a dateline-this-person-ended-up-in-a-body-bag sort of thing :laugh:

Well we can meet for a cup of coffee....then we wont be strangers...:smuggrin:?

You don't need to go to Midyear. There were several people in my class who got residencies on the other side of the country and did not bother with Midyear, though it's possible that they had some other contact with the programs that they were interested in.

Midyear is just another way to gather information on the residencies, so it may be to your benefit to attend but it isn't 100% necessary.

Thanks for the information! :)

I decided I'm just going to go. I figure it's better to try to do everything I possibly can at this point to increase my chances of getting a residency. It's expensive, but ah well. I guess I need to really pinch my pennies.

Thanks for the information! :)

I decided I'm just going to go. I figure it's better to try to do everything I possibly can at this point to increase my chances of getting a residency. It's expensive, but ah well. I guess I need to really pinch my pennies.

You can room with Z!! I bet he'll even spoon with you at night.

Spoon Me is an awesome frozen yogurt joint. But the messages on the cup bring a whole new meaning.....

I think spiri is a vegan.

What did the lettuce say to the celery?
Are you stalking me?

Why did the Tomato go out with a prune?
Because he couldn't find a date!

What did one vegetarian spy say to the other vegetarian spy?
We have to stop meating like this.

What do you call a vegetarian who goes back to eating meat?
Someone who lost their veginity!

Yup, and I hear they have an awesome pizza place too. But the cosmo is not through ashp discount and out of budget.

Helps to know people :luck:

Hell yeah the secret pizza hallway is awesome...Holstein's downstairs is a good burger joint too.

I'm gonna go hang out in their lounge and post it on SDN. Catch me if you can, haha.

I felt I should edit it this to say that there are some PGY-1 residencies that use PPS. So if you are interested in any of these residencies, it's probably a good idea to go to Midyear for the face-to-face.

Helps to know people :luck:

Hell yeah the secret pizza hallway is awesome...Holstein's downstairs is a good burger joint too.

I'm gonna go hang out in their lounge and post it on SDN. Catch me if you can, haha.

I'm down for good pizza one night! We need to get rxlea to break her paleo ways for the trip and get pizza as well :thumbup:

I forget. It might be a stock photo, but i think its from a national barista free pour contest in Chicago last year with the drink by a barista that works down the street from my house. I wish my pours were that good.

Thought you'd like this one! Small hole in the wall place this summer. And best part is it tasted better than it looks.

53287034588327497801189.jpg