Is MPH acceptance harder than MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

travelingdoctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always been interested in international healthcare, esp in developing countries. I will be a 2nd time applicant this summer. Last year, I only applied to reg. MD programs, not even considering MPH. I dont even know if this can be generalized, but is it even harder to get into a MPH/MD than it is just MD?

1. It's hard enough to get into med school as is with a MD, but does trying for MD/MPH make it even harder?

2. Along the same lines, is it MPH/MD or none at all? Ie. what if I cant get into MPH program, does that mean I cant do the MD at all for schools? Is so, then this implies it would be much harder to get into schools as MPH/MD than a regular MD.

3. Also, I have no courses taken in Public health, just a strong interest in doing international medicine. Is it even worth it for me to apply to MPH/MD?

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

The med schools and schools of public health that I am familiar that offer the MD/MPH tend to look at one's application separately. In other words, the med school will assess you for the MD and the school of public health will assess you separately for the MPH. In that way, it doesn't make it 'harder' to get into the MD/MPH since they are separate decision processes, and you can get into one degree program and not the other. I don't know much about programs that offer the MPH through the school of medicine itself though so perhaps others can comment about that.

As for public health courses, it's common for people to not have taken a single public health course before starting the MPH so you are not at a disadvantage.

I applied to SUNY Downstate's MD/MPH program, and I was rejected from MD but accepted to MPH. I applied to several MD and MPH schools, and was only accepted MPH.

In response to #3, you don't need Public Health experience. There's looking for the way you think in response to their application essay.

You can PM me if you'd like more details.

it's much harder to get into med school then a MPH program, as you probably already know.

if you are sure you want the MPH then spend this year working toward the MPH while you are reapplying to med school. there are a couple of 1 year MPH programs out there (USC, Dartmouth, Emory, etc.). good luck.