is my GPA too low to get into med school?

Started by aurora90
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aurora90

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm planning to apply to med school in June 2013. I'm concerned that my GPA is too low for MD. Unfortunately I have so many credits that doing a post-bacc will not help me at all, no matter how many classes I take and get A's in at this point my GPA won't budge much.

My Overall GPA is 3.45
My BCPM GPA is 3.53

Will I need to do an SMP if I want to get into a US MD school?

The reason I'm very worried right now is a friend who is in med school told me he thinks my GPA is going to hold me back 🙁

I haven't taken the MCAT yet (will take it April 2013). My advisor says my EC's are "exceptionally strong"

What should I do?
 
If you ace your MCAT, I think you'll have your best luck with the low tier schools like NYMC and Rosy Franklin, and possibly your state school, depending upon where you live. If in CA, forget about them.


I'm planning to apply to med school in June 2013. I'm concerned that my GPA is too low for MD. Unfortunately I have so many credits that doing a post-bacc will not help me at all, no matter how many classes I take and get A's in at this point my GPA won't budge much.

My Overall GPA is 3.45
My BCPM GPA is 3.53

Will I need to do an SMP if I want to get into a US MD school?

The reason I'm very worried right now is a friend who is in med school told me he thinks my GPA is going to hold me back 🙁

I haven't taken the MCAT yet (will take it April 2013). My advisor says my EC's are "exceptionally strong"

What should I do?
 
I'm planning to apply to med school in June 2013. I'm concerned that my GPA is too low for MD. Unfortunately I have so many credits that doing a post-bacc will not help me at all, no matter how many classes I take and get A's in at this point my GPA won't budge much.

My Overall GPA is 3.45
My BCPM GPA is 3.53

Will I need to do an SMP if I want to get into a US MD school?

The reason I'm very worried right now is a friend who is in med school told me he thinks my GPA is going to hold me back 🙁

I haven't taken the MCAT yet (will take it April 2013). My advisor says my EC's are "exceptionally strong"

What should I do?
Why is your cGPA low?
Do you have an upward or downward trend, or pretty much consistent performance? (Perhaps you could give us your GPA for the last 4 semesters.)
Are you applying after junior or senior year, or after 5+ years?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm planning to apply to med school in June 2013. I'm concerned that my GPA is too low for MD. Unfortunately I have so many credits that doing a post-bacc will not help me at all, no matter how many classes I take and get A's in at this point my GPA won't budge much.

My Overall GPA is 3.45
My BCPM GPA is 3.53

Will I need to do an SMP if I want to get into a US MD school?

The reason I'm very worried right now is a friend who is in med school told me he thinks my GPA is going to hold me back 🙁

I haven't taken the MCAT yet (will take it April 2013). My advisor says my EC's are "exceptionally strong"

What should I do?

The two posters above me should be who you really get your advice from because they are awesome. Though, I would say that your gpa is not too low if you do well on the MCAT. Aim for as high as you can. Really really take it seriously.
 
Catalystik - my cGPA is lower because I did poorly in some econ and gov courses I took. I started out as a gov major, I don't even know why because I had no interest in it but my dad's in government so there was some family pressure to go that route, but I eventually made the decision to be my own person and follow my passion.
Transitioning to hard sciences was an adjustment for me, I started out getting mainly B+/B grades but then improved and consistently got A's, so I do have an upward trend and other than organic chem I and II in which I got a B+, I have taken a lot of upper division science courses and done well (only A's and A-). However my non-science coursework is pretty much consistent performance.

Also, I graduated in may 2012 and have been working since then but also continued my volunteer work
 
If you ace your MCAT, I think you'll have your best luck with the low tier schools like NYMC and Rosy Franklin, and possibly your state school, depending upon where you live. If in CA, forget about them.

Okay thanks. I live in New York, I'd love to go to a NY state school if possible, are they as difficult to get into as the CA schools?
 
Thanks to everyone who has replied, I appreciate all your advice. Given my GPA it seems that the MCAT is going to make or break me. Luckily I'm pretty good at standardized tests, I got a 2100 on the SAT although I studied a lot for it. I'm going to study like crazy for the MCAT. I know I should shoot for as high as possible but what would be an MCAT score range that would help with my GPA issue?
 
Catalystik - my cGPA is lower because I did poorly in some econ and gov courses I took. I started out as a gov major, I don't even know why because I had no interest in it but my dad's in government so there was some family pressure to go that route, but I eventually made the decision to be my own person and follow my passion.
Transitioning to hard sciences was an adjustment for me, I started out getting mainly B+/B grades but then improved and consistently got A's, so I do have an upward trend and other than organic chem I and II in which I got a B+, I have taken a lot of upper division science courses and done well (only A's and A-). However my non-science coursework is pretty much consistent performance.

Also, I graduated in may 2012 and have been working since then but also continued my volunteer work

I know I should shoot for as high as possible but what would be an MCAT score range that would help with my GPA issue?
Lower grades that happened long ago are better tolerated by adcomms. Your GPA may not be as much of an barrier as your friend thinks, as adcomms at many schools look at trend as well. And then there's the potential trumping power of "exceptionally strong" ECs to help you as well. It sounds like you've shown that you you're capable of med school-like coursework. I'd suggest that an MCAT of 33 would be a good goal to shoot for. If a few more informal postbac science classes would get you to a 3.6+ BCPM GPA, that would be helpful as well.
 
your GPA is low, but not exceptionally so. You don't need a post-bac/SMP, but it won't hurt either provided you do well. The biggest thing you need is a good MCAT score (>30). With a good MCAT, you will have a shot at many MD schools.
 
Your GPA will not preclude you from a US MD school, however it is critical that you can get a 30+ on your MCAT to prove to adcoms that you can handle the rigors of medical school. Crushing the MCAT will dispel whatever doubts there are about your GPA.
 
Okay thanks. I live in New York, I'd love to go to a NY state school if possible, are they as difficult to get into as the CA schools?

aurora90, we have the same exact science GPA. I scored a 32 on the MCAT (unbalanced, btw) and got interviews at all SUNY schools except for Buffalo. So, being a NY resident, I think you have a really good shot at getting into those schools if you ace your MCAT.

Good luck!
 
aurora90, we have the same exact science GPA. I scored a 32 on the MCAT (unbalanced, btw) and got interviews at all SUNY schools except for Buffalo. So, being a NY resident, I think you have a really good shot at getting into those schools if you ace your MCAT.

Good luck!
thanks that's good to know! best of luck to you