Is residency a scam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Not really. For example, a physician needs to be able to use critical thinking to solve complex problems. You can't just resort to a book to get the answer.

Yes really, everything can be reduced down to Boolean algebra and code. Especially with hospital systems pushing standardization. Every profession has its downside. Physicians in every specialty are literally being replaced by mid-levels. How does that make you feel?
 
Yes really, everything can be reduced down to Boolean algebra and code. Especially with hospital systems pushing standardization. Every profession has its downside. Physicians in every specialty are literally being replaced by mid-levels. How does that make you feel?
It doesn't make me feel anything. I've got a pharmD, BCPS, and now an MD soon enough. I'll say this...as a patient, I only go to MDs. DO/PA/NP no chance I'm entrusting my life to them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It doesn't make me feel anything. I've got a pharmD, BCPS, and now an MD soon enough. I'll say this...as a patient, I only go to MDs. DO/PA/NP no chance I'm entrusting my life to them.

you're going to make God awful physician if you keep on beating down other professions and keep on thinking physicians are gods
 
Nothing you do cannot be replicated by a retail pharmD or by a robot in the near future.

Machine learning has been tested in studies and properly trained AI has higher percent accuracy in reaching the correct diagnosis than the MDs it was tested against. Machine learning is about to decimate white collar jobs in every field ranging from law to healthcare so nothing besides programming AI is a safe bet 10-15 years from now. Even then, AlphaGo, where an AI that was taught by humans taught another AI that now surpasses itself and humans shows that nothing is truly safe.
 
Machine learning has been tested in studies and properly trained AI has higher percent accuracy in reaching the correct diagnosis than the MDs it was tested against. Machine learning is about to decimate white collar jobs in every field ranging from law to healthcare so nothing besides programming AI is a safe bet 10-15 years from now. Even then, AlphaGo, where an AI that was taught by humans taught another AI that now surpasses itself and humans shows that nothing is truly safe.

Here is some supporting literature recently published.

Artificial intelligence in radiology | Nature Reviews Cancer