Is Taking Undergrad Anatomy Worth It?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BB Cream

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am wondering if those of you who have taken an anatomy course in college found it to be good preparation for medical school. I'm leaning towards not taking it because I will already be taking 12 credits of science classes (Calc 2, Organic 2, PChem) the semester it's offered at my school, plus 2-3 credits of research activities. Since it's my senior year I'd like to have some wiggle room to fit in volunteering, shadowing, etc. and finish strong. Also, many of my friends who have taken it said that they've forgotten 90% of what they've learned. I have already taken physiology.

Since I've become interested in medical school pretty late in the game, I am also looking at taking 1-2 gap years to be ready to apply. In my situation, would anatomy be worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not. I took a great anat class in college, but I was a sophomore. It was very effective in helping me study for the MCAT though (unfortunately I have forgotten most of it as well...which isn't helpful for the MCAT ;) ), but I think that is very dependent on the professor. Mine was very highly rated and was an incredible teacher.

If good teacher, yes. If normal class...eh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I am wondering if those of you who have taken an anatomy course in college found it to be good preparation for medical school. I'm leaning towards not taking it because I will already be taking 12 credits of science classes (Calc 2, Organic 2, PChem) the semester it's offered at my school, plus 2-3 credits of research activities. Since it's my senior year I'd like to have some wiggle room to fit in volunteering, shadowing, etc. and finish strong. Also, many of my friends who have taken it said that they've forgotten 90% of what they've learned. I have already taken physiology.

Since I've become interested in medical school pretty late in the game, I am also looking at taking 1-2 gap years to be ready to apply. In my situation, would anatomy be worth it?
Only if you take it during the term immediately preceding med school matriculation. Otherwise you'll forget most of it, and you don't want to learn the name of every fossa and groove twice.

Reactions: 2 users
In my undergrad, I took a general anatomy course, with a lecture and lab component where we tested on models, radiographs, and cadaver PHOTOS. I also took a gross anatomy course, just a dissection lab with cadavers. The general anatomy, while it seemed like there was SO MUCH information, barely scratched the surface of what we had to know for gross. By the time I am going to take gross anatomy in Med school, it will be my third time seeing the information. Most physicians I've spoke to about anatomy agree that a lot of things didn't stick until their third or fourth time seeing it, or until they actually starting doing surgery. If you have the opportunity to take any anatomy course, take it because at some point you will have to know the information.

I would take it. I am not in med school but having taken anatomy courses helped with my MCAT a good amount.

Reactions: 1 user
If you feel that it would detract you from your other 12 credits I would suggest not to take it.

Full disclosure: I went to a crappy undergraduate institution.

My undergrad anatomy course was not good preparation for med school anatomy. Although, I suspect that very few undergrad anatomy courses would be, since anatomy was far and away the most intense course I had during my entire M1 year (others may have had other experiences). It doesn't sound like you need another bio class for credits, graduation, etc. and it sounds like you have other things you could be doing with that time. Skip it.

From what I've heard, Pchem is pretty intense. If you can do well in the courses you need to take and do very well in anatomy, then go for it. However, if you do poorly in anatomy for whatever reason, you may give an adcom a good excuse not to interview you (and believe me, when we can interview less than 25% of all applicants, we look for reasons that applicants are not good candidates).

Reactions: 2 users
From what I've heard, Pchem is pretty intense. If you can do well in the courses you need to take and do very well in anatomy, then go for it. However, if you do poorly in anatomy for whatever reason, you may give an adcom a good excuse not to interview you (and believe me, when we can interview less than 25% of all applicants, we look for reasons that applicants are not good candidates).

Pchem is pretty difficult. I TAed the unergrad courses, and they can be all-consuming sometimes. Would recommend not doing it now, given all your other classes. Not necessary! Maybe if you are interested, just try reading on your own time.

I am a rising MS2, and I must say that taking anatomy in undergrad would be a profound help for your first year of basic sciences. I STRONLY suggest taking it. It will NOT help with studying for the MCAT or your application, but in the event you are admitted, having taken anatomy will be a huge help. I would suggest taking anatomy toward the end of your UG career, preferably your last semester.

4th year med student here. I took anatomy in undergrad. Promptly forgot most of it. Didn't touch med school anatomy. Only take it if it is truly of interest to you and won't detract from your other grades.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I am a rising MS2, and I must say that taking anatomy in undergrad would be a profound help for your first year of basic sciences. I STRONLY suggest taking it. It will NOT help with studying for the MCAT or your application, but in the event you are admitted, having taken anatomy will be a huge help. I would suggest taking anatomy toward the end of your UG career, preferably your last semester.

I think it depends on the anatomy class. The MCAT now tests on pretty basic (but still difficult) physiology and biology, including nephron physiology, basic neurology, and heart/respiratory function. You need to know things like O2 saturation curves, etc. Those were all the things my UG A&P taught me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on the anatomy class. The MCAT now tests on pretty basic (but still difficult) physiology and biology, including nephron physiology, basic neurology, and heart/respiratory function. You need to know things like O2 saturation curves, etc. Those were all the things my UG A&P taught me.

I think anatomy by itself refers to the structural aspects of the human body, like stuff on identifying origins/insertions/fossa/nerves/vessels at various regions. Imo, not exactly relevant for the MCAT itself but could be somewhat helpful when taken during the last semester before medical school.

G
I think anatomy by itself refers to the structural aspects of the human body, like stuff on identifying origins/insertions/fossa/nerves/vessels at various regions. Imo, not exactly relevant for the MCAT itself but could be somewhat helpful when taken during the last semester before medical school.
Good point. I meant A&P

Wow, I really appreciate how helpful everyone has been! This gives me a lot to think about. Unfortunately my school is tiny and doesn't offer many bells and whistles with science courses. I'm pretty sure the anatomy course at my school is computer-based with no cadavers. I think I will see how fall semester goes with Calc 1 and Organic 1, and consider taking it in the spring if it will fit in with my schedule. Otherwise, if pchem seems like it will be too demanding I will introduce myself to anatomy on my own time.

If you invite a hot guy to study anatomy with you it'd be hard not to score, just sayin'

I personally have found that having anatomy/physiology I & II has helped quite a bit for my MCAT prep. I have worked through the EK bio systems book pretty quick as it is ~90% review. However, it is important to mention that I had an excellent professor and remember quite a bit from the course even though I took it almost 4 years ago :eek:

And this is really how it will be useful. You will likely forget a lot of the details, especially in physiology, but simply having heard the muscule/artery/vein names will be helpful. Another thing that will help a lot is being familiar with the actions of the muscles. We are all intuitively familiar with the actions, but describing them in words can be challening. Knowing what adduction, abduction, internal rotation, external rotation, protraction are etc etc will be a huge help.

Reactions: 1 users
It wasn't very useful, but that's largely because I'd forgotten 90% of it by the time med school hit. Medical school anatomy is infinitely more difficult than undergrad anatomy, that much I will assure you.

If you have time - yes. I found anytime I saw even a term I was familiar with - even if I already forgotten it - it stuck so much more.

I vote for no, it's not worth it.

Anatomy is pretty irrelevant on the MCAT. Instead of anatomy, take physio. It will aid your MCAT studying the most.

Anatomy is pretty irrelevant on the MCAT. Instead of anatomy, take physio. It will aid your MCAT studying the most.
I agree, physiology was definitely more helpful than anatomy, but you have to know anatomy to understand physiology and vice versa.

I would only take it if you can get an A otherwise it is unnecessary stress. Agree with posters above that anatomy is useless but it is useful if you are about to enter medical school (memorizing bone grooves and fossas of those sorts) but physiology is much more useful for studying for the MCAT.

I would take Physio instead if your school lets you take that before anatomy

I didn't read other's posts but here is my take on it. I took an anatomy and physiology class and really enjoyed it. With that being said there is not point in trying to tailor your undergrad classes to try and make med school easier. From what I have heard from many of the docs I work with it wont make a noticeable difference due to the sheer amount of info you learn in med school. So take the class if you want, or don't take it. I enjoyed, and if you want to pursue the medical field I would hope you would also enjoy it. Good luck.

I didn't read other's posts but here is my take on it. I took an anatomy and physiology class and really enjoyed it. With that being said there is not point in trying to tailor your undergrad classes to try and make med school easier. From what I have heard from many of the docs I work with it wont make a noticeable difference due to the sheer amount of info you learn in med school. So take the class if you want, or don't take it. I enjoyed, and if you want to pursue the medical field I would hope you would also enjoy it. Good luck.

Only exception I make to this is biochemistry. Take the whole darn year, because med school will cover ALL of it in as much detail but in like 12 weeks not 9 months, if they use a block system.

Let's just say I know of a school that only requires like the first two terms of biochem, which usually covers only up to "this is how proteins fold." The last term is when everything comes together and you learn all the cycles.

Anyhoo, let's just say one chem major found this med school's biochem challenging and could only imagine what their classmates were going through.

So many failed that year the biochem professor had to curve the exam to keep the entire school from being set on fire.

All agreed that the one thing they wished they had known better going in was biochem. Only the people who had taken an entire year could do well.

YMMV.

I took A&P 1 and 2, both had labs.
Pros: I have been acquainted to the basic-intermediate muscles, organs and vascular system is much easier IMO (we didn't really go into nerves save a few obvious ones) and feel like it gives a nice foundation.
Cons: In the the 1st lab, it was all musculature and the 2nd semester it was all organ systems and vasculature. Our cadavers were pretty poor in viability. The medical students got them, then the dental students, then the PT/OT students, then the UGs. I believe ours was 3-4 y/o. I don't know what the cadavers look like in MS, but ours were essentially mummified. Larger muscles were fine to identify, but once you got into the forearm and hands, I feel like things got really difficult to place. (The forearm is interesting because there are so many layers to try and identify, its not just this muscle goes laterally, this one goes medially, they layer extensively).
The "biochemistry" portions and physiology portions were pretty basic. It was a nice foundation for when I took the physiology course with the dental students.
All in all, its a foundation and you'll probably nod during MS1 lectures saying, Oh yeah, I vaguely remember about this, before they go off into much larger detail.

My lab PI who was a first/second year prof at our medical school would always harp on about how it's pointless for UGs to take anatomy and that our time is better spent in a physiology class. According to him, UG anatomy barely scratches the surface and most students don't remember much by the time med school starts. I never took anatomy in UG, well except for neuroanatomy, but that's slightly different.

It will give you a slight advantage in med school anatomy. You'll remember the names (semitendinosus, sternocleidomastoid, etc), but you'll have to re-learn where they are on the bodies. Med school anatomy also goes into more depth. I don't remember any anatomy on the MCAT.

Reviving thread:

Should students take anatomy for the MCAT?

All of foundational concept 3b is anatomy. Is it wise to self teach a full part of a foundational concept?

Thanks for digging this up. I was wondering this myself. Given the choice between anatomy and physiology in undergrad, it looks like the consensus is that physiology is extremely helpful (esp for MCAT purposes) while anatomy...not so much

Where do you see the consensus about the benefits of taking physiology?