Is the fanny pack that bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamMachine

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wait, before I lose all my friends, I haven't done this yet. But there are some cool ones (black leather, rocuronium, etc.) the drug reps give that some residents where and it makes many things lots easier. Is it an absolute sign that you have lost all dignity and respect for yourself? If so, I will never consider this option again. Thank you for your participation in this discussion.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
DreamMachine said:
Wait, before I lose all my friends, I haven't done this yet. But there are some cool ones (black leather, rocuronium, etc.) the drug reps give that some residents where and it makes many things lots easier. Is it an absolute sign that you have lost all dignity and respect for yourself? If so, I will never consider this option again. Thank you for your participation in this discussion, but please be "honest" not just "cool."

You could make it cool to wear a fanny pack. It is all about your attitude and how you accessorize it.

You will feel that you need to carry around a lot of stuff while in residency but eventually you will realize that most of this stuff is not necessary and you will be able to predict when you may need some of it b/4 you get to that point.
Personally I would never carry a fanny pac in the OR or in public or in any other place. But thats me.

Members don't see this ad :)
DreamMachine said:
Does anyone in your anesthesia program or that you work with wear a fanny pack? If they do, does everyone make fun of them when they are not around? Is it a tremendous source of humor during lunch?

Forget it, I am not going to get it. I'll stick to running around for now.

They might call you "The Fanny packer." :laugh:
Most people around here have a bag they bring in the OR like a soft sided briefcase type bag. Keep it in the OR with you and you could stash your goods in that if you needed them.

Gern Blansten said:
They might call you "The Fanny packer." :laugh:
Most people around here have a bag they bring in the OR like a soft sided briefcase type bag. Keep it in the OR with you and you could stash your goods in that if you needed them.

Messenger bags.

I always thought those things were just purses for guys... a gurse.
(I would of used murse for male purse, but the term is already cleverly appplied to a much better entity... think gaylord focker).

I think the fanny pack around the stomach is a little tacky. But i think you could reinvent the fanny pack and strap it to your upper arm like all the people in the gym do with their IPODs. Please, hold your applause. :p

pratik7 said:
I think the fanny pack around the stomach is a little tacky. But i think you could reinvent the fanny pack and strap it to your upper arm like all the people in the gym do with their IPODs. Please, hold your applause. :p

I also wear my fanny pack around my guns....I tell people its my gun case :cool:

pratik7 said:

How about one of those gun holsters that detectives wear under their sportcoats? Just throw it on, over your scrubs...

How about a bandolier?

hl_1910.jpg

Dream. I totally can feel your pain.

What i saw a resident do which I thought was a clever alternative was using I think two cell phone holsters. He filled those up with angiocaths, needles, TB syringe, the stuff one would put in a fanny pack. It looked alright. Althogh if you already have a cell phone and pager clipped to your waist this may be a bit cumbersome.

Members don't see this ad :)
SleepIsGood said:
Dream. I totally can feel your pain.

What i saw a resident do which I thought was a clever alternative was using I think two cell phone holsters. He filled those up with angiocaths, needles, TB syringe, the stuff one would put in a fanny pack. It looked alright. Althogh if you already have a cell phone and pager clipped to your waist this may be a bit cumbersome.
Why?

jwk said:
No idea. I suppose if you are in prep and hold and you dont want to go looking for the cart and you want things 'handy'. I just think it's a better alternative to the fanny pack. But hey, if ppl like the fanny pack...then it's all good! :) BTW i have an attendign that wears a fanny pack. He has the most random things (But usually very useful) like mcgills and trauma scissors.

Go figure.

How about a Batman-style utility belt? That would be sweet.

21o1wmd.jpg

DreamMachine said:
Also, does anyone sport the bouffant disposable hairnets, instead of custom surgical caps? I am the only one that wears those right now in my residency program.

Guys who wear the hairnet style caps are always quick to tell you, "It takes a REAL man to wear a bouffant cap," thus insinuating that you're a girly-man who cares too much about his appearance if you wear a surgical cap. But the real reason they wear bouffant caps is because they don't want a surgical cap to mess up their pretty hair. Wear the paper surgical caps if you don't have a custom one, and deal with the flattened hair with pride!

what is it you guys are carting around in these fanny packs? I have a pen, maybe a random syringe of ephedrine,my ID, a scrap of paper or two and some dentyne in my pocket. What else is there to need?

DreamMachine said:
Suppose you are on call. You have the code pager. Someone is crashing. They need a tube, rapid sequence, etc. It would be nice to have the tube, laryngoscope, drugs, syringes, and whatever you need right there attached to you. I haven't been the main dude on call yet. For those of you that have, would a fanny pack be FRIGGIN AWESOME in this instance? What do you people that don't wear it do when this scenario happens?

Seriously? blade handle...Mac/Miller blades...tubes...stylet...drugs...syringes...needles...etc. In a fanny pack? Everything just crashing around in your pooch pouch? Why don't you go ahead and strap the light source for the fiberoptic to your back, or hitch the ventilator to your sacrum. :eek:

I'm guessing they would grab the crash cart from the floor, or take the little tackle box, whatever has all their supplies. Besides, you'd probably sound like a crazy elf with jingle bells running throught the hall with all that crapola. Now, if you used the utility belt for retractable blades, the bandolier for the drugs, stored the tubes sheathed behind your back ala Samurai, and the pouch for throwing stars to defend against would-be intubation poseurs (like me), THAT would be something! :laugh:

DreamMachine said:
Also, does anyone sport the bouffant disposable hairnets, instead of custom surgical caps? I am the only one that wears those right now in my residency program.
If you wear the bouffant you should definately go with the fanny to make the package complete :)

A couple of hospitals that I have rotated at require the bouffant hats for everyone, per Infectious Disease Dept.

i told my residency program that having to wear a fanny pack is a deal breaker for me. i would quit.

does anybody wear their white coat into the OR? ive seen a few surgeons do that.

supahfresh said:
does anybody wear their white coat into the OR? ive seen a few surgeons do that.

That would be a violation in our hospital. Have you seen how dirty some of those coats are?

i once saw a lab coat so dirty it was rounding by itself.

DreamMachine said:
Suppose you are on call. You have the code pager. Someone is crashing. They need a tube, rapid sequence, etc. It would be nice to have the tube, laryngoscope, drugs, syringes, and whatever you need right there attached to you. I haven't been the main dude on call yet. For those of you that have, would a fanny pack be FRIGGIN AWESOME in this instance? What do you people that don't wear it do when this scenario happens?

I have never made it to a code ahead of the crash cart. That's the first thing the floor nurses do is drag the crashcart to the room. It's got all the goodies in it, you just have to ask. And you'll be able to get there faster if you're not draggin' along a 40 lb fanny pack :)

DreamMachine said:
Someone is crashing. They need a tube, rapid sequence, etc. It would be nice to have the tube, laryngoscope, drugs, syringes, and whatever you need right there attached to you. What do you people that don't wear it do when this scenario happens?

Adult%20Crash%20Cart_fin%20copy.jpg

I can't believe all this FannyPack bashing!

I wore my Fannypack for all three years of anesthesia residency, and wore it proudly. I wore that one that the Rocuronium people gave us - the one with cell phone pocket in front. I wore it during my ICU rotations even when I had my coat on. I am totally serious and have no shame about this. Here are my reasons:

1) I like to keep all my valuables on me - credit card, driver's license, cash, keys at all times. So all that stuff goes in my front pocket.
2) I keep my pagers and my badge hooked on the belt part.
3) I keep several pens, chapstick, hand desaniter with moisterizers, gum, a card with important phone numbers, a reference card pack with the dosages of pretty much everything.
4) Cell phone in the cell phone pocket.

Lastly, unlike a lot of people on these boards, I am not a dude, and thus I use the bathroom differently from the rest of you. So if I had to take everything out of my back pocket and off my waist everytime I go to the bathroom, I would lose everything.

So, yes, now I am the only person in my practice with the Fanny Pack. And I wear it in front. But I have a cute hat.

I think it could be done. You'd have to do it in a really cool way though. Like wear it to the side and slightly in front, but also wear it extremely loosely so that it hangs down a lot, like say mid thigh.

DreamMachine said:
That code cart is a mess to get to during a code.

I very seriously doubt you beat the code cart into the room when you're paged to a code.

Laurel123 said:
I can't believe all this FannyPack bashing!

I wore my Fannypack for all three years of anesthesia residency, and wore it proudly. I wore that one that the Rocuronium people gave us - the one with cell phone pocket in front. I wore it during my ICU rotations even when I had my coat on. I am totally serious and have no shame about this. Here are my reasons:

1) I like to keep all my valuables on me - credit card, driver's license, cash, keys at all times. So all that stuff goes in my front pocket.
2) I keep my pagers and my badge hooked on the belt part.
3) I keep several pens, chapstick, hand desaniter with moisterizers, gum, a card with important phone numbers, a reference card pack with the dosages of pretty much everything.
4) Cell phone in the cell phone pocket.

Lastly, unlike a lot of people on these boards, I am not a dude, and thus I use the bathroom differently from the rest of you. So if I had to take everything out of my back pocket and off my waist everytime I go to the bathroom, I would lose everything.

So, yes, now I am the only person in my practice with the Fanny Pack. And I wear it in front. But I have a cute hat.

I decided to buy one of these "condemned items" after I dropped 3 ampoules of fentanyl off my scrubs.That was it!!!I thought the fanny packs were too huge so I got like a camera case with a waist band.It has three pockets ,It serves the purpose.I am glad I got one

DreamMachine said:
Does anyone know of a website that they have used that is good for getting surgical caps or stethoscope clip holders? I got to get rid of the bouffant now.
hovihats4u is an ebay store. She does good quality work at a reasonable price and won't rip you off on shipping either. Lots to choose from too. There are others on ebay as well, but I have used hovihats4u on a couple of occasions and have been pleased with the product and service.

DreamMachine said:
Does anyone know of a website that they have used that is good for getting surgical caps or stethoscope clip holders? I got to get rid of the bouffant now.

http://sparklingearth.com/
allhearts.com

You can get stethescope clips cheaper at a nurses uniform store ~$5.

Instead of a fanny pack, how about a sporran?

Attachments

• leathersporranwee.jpg
    leathersporranwee.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 3,548
So all you cool non-fannypack wearers - where do you keep your wallet and keys and cell phone? That's a lot to carry in your pocket.

Laurel123 said:
So all you cool non-fannypack wearers - where do you keep your wallet and keys and cell phone? That's a lot to carry in your pocket.

Dont take my wallet to work, live about a mile away. Leave cell phone locked in car, keys on waist band.

I've just seen this thread and feel I must reply.

If you are a woman or are gay a fanny pack is fine. I have a jacket for the OR as do all of the residents in the program. These jackets have two side zipper pockets, two inside zipper pockets which provide ample room for wallets and such. Otherwise we bring a shoulder bag to carry books. Hey fanny pack users, where do you put your books? I just cannot foresee any reason to EVER wear that gay @#$%.

Our program has a difficult airway box in case we are paged, plus as everyone else has stated the crash cart is always there. As far as I'm concerned anyone sporting that f a g bag is behind the eightball in my assessment of them. Most girls I talk to, and by girls I mean hotties, agree that the fanny is definitely demasculating.

As far as the bouffant goes, I used to seriously hate them and still agree they look way worse than the other caps, but they offer the advantage of not giving you "hat-head" in case you have to run errands immediately after work.

ReefTiger said:

If you are a woman or are gay a fanny pack is fine. I have a jacket for the OR as do all of the residents in the program. These jackets have two side zipper pockets, two inside zipper pockets which provide ample room for wallets and such. Otherwise we bring a shoulder bag to carry books. Hey fanny pack users, where do you put your books? I just cannot foresee any reason to EVER wear that gay @#$%.

Our program has a difficult airway box in case we are paged, plus as everyone else has stated the crash cart is always there. As far as I'm concerned anyone sporting that f a g bag is behind the eightball in my assessment of them. Most girls I talk to, and by girls I mean hotties, agree that the fanny is definitely demasculating.

As far as the bouffant goes, I used to seriously hate them and still agree they look way worse than the other caps, but they offer the advantage of not giving you "hat-head" in case you have to run errands immediately after work.

Our OR dress code does not allow jackets in the OR :(

ReefTiger said:

You could keep a baseball cap in the car to cover your hat-head during errands. It beats wearing the bouffant all day.

ReefTiger said:

I don't wear a fanny pack or a bouffant cap, but I do not begrudge others who might choose to do that. I doubt that sexual orientation plays a role in this. As you mentioned, some members of the opposite gender may not agree with the fashion sense, or lack thereof, but I would be hesitant to question the person's masculinity.

During my CA-1 orientation last year, my faculty preceptor urged me to wear a fanny pack and I have done so ever since.

What I keep in it:
1. Wallet
2. Keys
3. Cell phone
4. Pager on belt
5. Calculator - cheap "Staples" one
6. Trauma shears - use them on a fairly regular basis to cut just about anything I need to exactly when I need to
7. Kelly clamp - useful for double lumen tubes, stuck stopcocks, etc.
8. Extra pens and sharpies
9. Narcs for next case

How I justify wearing it:
1. I can't possibly keep all this stuff in scrub pockets alone
2. The warm up jackets at my hospital make me too hot
3. When sleeping at night on call, it is extremely easy just to strap the pack on to go to a code, emergency case, etc. instead of trying to grab 4-5 things to put in my pockets in a sleepy daze
4. I'm married, so I'm not going home with any "hotties"
5. Don't care if people think I am gay because of #4
6. I view the fanny pack as a necessary evil and NEVER wear it outside the hospital

ReefTiger said:

Sorry, but one of the most effeminate and demasculating qualities of a guy is when they actually care about what other people think, especially when they care about what girls think. There is nothing more girly than worrying about image and appearance.

I'm a old married woman, so it doesn't really matter what I think - but from talking to my single girl and guy friends - if a guy wants to wear a fanny pack, don't be all sheepish and apologetic about it, just do it with the attitude of ' f what everyone thinks of me, I will wear what I want and I don't give a cr@p about some chick's opinion of me' And if a guy doesn't want to wear one, don't.

yeah but if everyone had that attitude we wouldn't have been able to amuse ourselves with this inane thread for the past couple weeks!

gaspasser2004 said:
During my CA-1 orientation last year, my faculty preceptor urged me to wear a fanny pack and I have done so ever since.

What I keep in it:
1. Wallet
2. Keys
3. Cell phone
4. Pager on belt
5. Calculator - cheap "Staples" one
6. Trauma shears - use them on a fairly regular basis to cut just about anything I need to exactly when I need to
7. Kelly clamp - useful for double lumen tubes, stuck stopcocks, etc.
8. Extra pens and sharpies
9. Narcs for next case

1,2,3 leave in my locker

all the rest of that crap is on my machine or in my cart. stethoscope hangin on the machine.

The only way you can pull off a fanny pack is if you are one kick ass anesthesiologist. Whip a bougie outta there and Ill give you props. Whip out some car keys and I just dont see the point.

BUT if its an ocean pacific fanny pack then its alllll good.

Laurel123 said:
Sorry, but one of the most effeminate and demasculating qualities of a guy is when they actually care about what other people think, especially when they care about what girls think. There is nothing more girly than worrying about image and appearance.

I'm a old married woman, so it doesn't really matter what I think - but from talking to my single girl and guy friends - if a guy wants to wear a fanny pack, don't be all sheepish and apologetic about it, just do it with the attitude of ' f what everyone thinks of me, I will wear what I want and I don't give a cr@p about some chick's opinion of me' And if a guy doesn't want to wear one, don't.

It's in the genes....EVERYTHING guys do is to get the HOT girls' attention....Qualities that make you either effeminate or not...whether a pack is demasculating or not....IS determined by the HOT Chick....

sorry....that's just 500,000 years of evolution....no if's, and's, or but's.

And if the Majority (there are always exceptions to everything) of HOT chicks think the fanny pack is for fags....then the fanny pack is for fags....no if's, and's, or but's...

this is coming from an old guy who is married and has kids and doesn't care what hot chicks think of me.....but I do think the fanny pack is kind of faggish.

What about Johnny Depp as the ultra-hot effeminate Capt. Jack Sparrow? :love: :love: :love:

But I can't imagine the character with a fanny pack, though. ;)

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 203
Annette said:
What about Johnny Depp as the ultra-hot effeminate Capt. Jack Sparrow? :love: :love: :love:

But I can't imagine the character with a fanny pack, though. ;)

let me think about that one....