Is the fanny pack that bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Annette said:
What about Johnny Depp as the ultra-hot effeminate Capt. Jack Sparrow? :love: :love: :love:

But I can't imagine the character with a fanny pack, though. ;)
I think you like Capt Jack because you know that he's just kidding with that behavior. When the camera stops rolling he goes back to being Johnny Depp. I don't think you'd be into anyone who acted like that in real life no matter how hot he might be. That's my take anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

We sign out a fanny pack with narcs every morning. Yes its gay... but its full of fentanyl and versed and dilaudid. At lunch i can have up to 5mg of fentanyl strapped to my waist. So that makes me dangerous and chicks dig that kinda stuff. As for the boof hat.. i think its an ultimate statement of confidence to hit on a girl with a blue mushroom on your head. So a fanny pack and a silly poofy hat make me more like james dean and less like say.. liberace.

On a sadder note.. the real *studs* in my program take said sexually ambigous fashion item and throw it across one should like they are rambo with an ammo belt flung across their chests. What they dont realize that it looks more like a purse than anything gi joe would wear and i think a man with a purse wearing a round hat with a flat top that looks like soup can is nowhere near as sexy as the alternative.

When I interviewed (if u could call it that) at cook county hospital the anesthesia "people" i saw had fuscia colored scrubs. Let me correct myself.. pink scrubs on. I took 1 look at that and first thought i had was living celibate in chicago for 3 years. How the hell do you look masculine with pink pants on.

Anyway.. to each his own i guess.

DreamMachine said:
I decided to get the fanny pack for code / on-call situations ONLY. Does anyone know where to get a cool one? Seriously. Well, not THAT seriously. The Zemuron small black leather ones would be an example of a cool one.

When there is a code or when you're on call...put this on:

blvest.jpg

Anything you need to carry can be placed in one of the pockets of this fanny pack.

Members don't see this ad :)
militarymd said:
When there is a code or when you're on call...put this on:

blvest.jpg

Anything you need to carry can be placed in one of the pockets of this fanny pack.

And watch people move out of your way! :scared:

Please save me and stop using "cool" and "fannypack" in the same sentence. Impossible concept.

BTW, wearing a jacket and calling fannypackers gay is like Richard Simmons wondering if George Michael is hiding something.

DreamMachine said:
Sorry. Didn't mean to violate your concept of "cool."

It's OK. Just don't let it happen again. ;)

ReefTiger said:
I've just seen this thread and feel I must reply.

If you are a woman or are gay a fanny pack is fine. I have a jacket for the OR as do all of the residents in the program. These jackets have two side zipper pockets, two inside zipper pockets which provide ample room for wallets and such. Otherwise we bring a shoulder bag to carry books. Hey fanny pack users, where do you put your books? I just cannot foresee any reason to EVER wear that gay @#$%.

Our program has a difficult airway box in case we are paged, plus as everyone else has stated the crash cart is always there. As far as I'm concerned anyone sporting that f a g bag is behind the eightball in my assessment of them. Most girls I talk to, and by girls I mean hotties, agree that the fanny is definitely demasculating.

As far as the bouffant goes, I used to seriously hate them and still agree they look way worse than the other caps, but they offer the advantage of not giving you "hat-head" in case you have to run errands immediately after work.

You spend a lot of time thinking about fashion... hmmm. :laugh:

DreamMachine said:
I decided to get the fanny pack for code / on-call situations ONLY. Does anyone know where to get a cool one? Seriously. Well, not THAT seriously. The Zemuron small black leather ones would be an example of a cool one.
If you must wear one, anything other than the cheapest black fanny pack at the nearest bookstore shows that you put too much effort into picking a fanny pack which is even less masculine than wearing a fanny pack in the first place.
'Fanny' means a woman's genitals in the UK. I don't think the inventor of the fanny pack was British, but it'd be appropriate.

Wow, I never thought I'd post something that caused such variable responses. For the record, if you are in a program where everyone wears them or has to check them out it is not your fault you wear them. If, however, you choose to wear one, well.....

To the female that said it doesn't matter if you wear a fanny pack or not and that it is ultimately about having enough confidence to not care--
in reality only about 1-2% of guys are actually that confident and every other heterosexual guy (who hopes to hook up with hotties) takes into account whether their attire is gay. Gay is not metrosexual which some chicks dig, however, a fanny pack is not metro.

As far as the jacket goes, it's actually pretty pimp. I totally agree that without seeing it it sounds pretty ladylike. But when you get everyone asking you where you got it etc. you know it's money.

In the end it really is all about how you carry yourself, not what you wear. But for those still single you need to account for first impressions from a distance. Luckily for me my fiancee is way hotter than I expected to get, but for all you single pimps out there remember to stay away from overtly gay ($_% like fanny packs. In the end it is all about helping yourself.

Laryngospasm said:
And watch people move out of your way! :scared:
Gotta love the Blackhawk assault vest. Looks to be the shotgun version. I probably would have gone with the thigh holster though. The vest seems a little over the top.

OMG!

Guys, I haven't checked this site for quite a while, but you all got to be kidding!
Are you SERIOUSLY, I mean SERIOUSLY considering a small helpful piece of plastic/leather/fabric to define how you look or who you are? Are you all that immature and insecure?! Or are you just amusing yoursel!? Do you really think that a valuable person whom you would like to spend life with will define you by wearing/not wearing fanny pack/bouffant cap, etc? My kid is more mature and confident - he doesn't care what the others say ( even the chicks :) ). He wears his fanny pack with CD player and some stuff and for the comments which came for the first 1-2 days just said "so?" and ignored most of them. It didn't make him worse or better, because since he ignored the rest of the comments, they stopped. And everybody moved along.

In my program some of the coolest attendings wear them and could care less.

Whatever you wear doesn't make you cool or uncool, YOU do.

OMG!

Guys, I haven't checked this site for quite a while, but you all got to be kidding!
Are you SERIOUSLY, I mean SERIOUSLY considering a small helpful piece of plastic/leather/fabric to define how you look or who you are? Are you all that immature and insecure?! Or are you just amusing yoursel!? Do you really think that a valuable person whom you would like to spend life with will define you by wearing/not wearing fanny pack/bouffant cap, etc? My 12 year old is more mature and confident - he doesn't care what the others say ( even the chicks :) ). He wears his fanny pack with CD player and some stuff and for the comments which came for the first 1-2 days just said "so?" and ignored most of them. It didn't make him worse or better, because since he ignored the rest of the comments, they stopped. And everybody moved along.

I was working locums at a place where they said they had to get rid of the last physician because of his fanny pack. The OR nurse manager claimed that he had a fanny pack and that they did not know what was in it so therefore they could not trust him so they fired him. As a resident there was another resident who carried a fanny pack which the attendings constantly complained about.

If you carry any drugs in a fanny pack you have to drawn them up for that patient only and only within the last hour or two. Anything you take out of the fanny pack will be assumed by everyone else in the room to have been in there a week or more. Most places I am at the local interpretation of JCAHO policy is that all meds must be drawn up immediately before the patient is in the room or in the presence of the patient. Drugs can't be drawn up and stored for an emergency or placed in a fanny pack.

I wouldn't wear one unless it was the policy of the department, IE they issued narcotic fanny packs, otherwise you are setting your self up for complaints about the improper handling of medicines.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys need to get a life. I think this thread was more a joke than a place to obtain fasion tips for your metrosexual types. I prefer the tactical man's carry all myself.

They might call you "The Fanny packer." :laugh:
Most people around here have a bag they bring in the OR like a soft sided briefcase type bag. Keep it in the OR with you and you could stash your goods in that if you needed them.

there are a few companies that make mini messenger-type bags (about 8-9" long, 3" deep, 7-8" tall) that some of the residents i know carry instead of a fanny. the good things about these bags are (1) NO FANNY PACK! (2) you can carry a small-ish book/journal in the mini-messenger bag if the reading mood strikes you and (3) you can store a couple rarely used items should you need them

the companies i know of that sell good ones in terms of size and style are timbuktu, manhattan portage, REI, EMS

hope that helps some of you out there who are non-fanny packers. like me :D

OMG!

Are you SERIOUSLY, I mean SERIOUSLY considering a small helpful piece of plastic/leather/fabric to define how you look or who you are? Are you all that immature and insecure?! Or are you just amusing yoursel!? Do you really think that a valuable person whom you would like to spend life with will define you by wearing/not wearing fanny pack/bouffant cap, etc? My 12 year old is more mature and confident - he doesn't care what the others say ( even the chicks :) ). He wears his fanny pack with CD player and some stuff and for the comments which came for the first 1-2 days just said "so?" and ignored most of them. It didn't make him worse or better, because since he ignored the rest of the comments, they stopped. And everybody moved along.

I totally disagree. Every middle schooler I see who dresses like a dork gets treated like one by their peers. That, and the whole MTV thing and those kids are under a lot of pressure to dress the part they wish to play.

Anypoops.

If you sport the fanny pack you better be WICKED AWSOME.

Otherwise you should just go ahead and sport a diaper as well. If its all about convience then why not crap yer shorts instead of walking to a bathroom. Maybe you could have a pair of boxers over your diaper. Then, once youre done filling your shorts, you can just slip the diaper out and BOOM the boxers will be right there.

A reversed mini sized backpack dangling over one's genitals is not cool and certainly not necessary. I wont think any less of folks who sport the FP but I will eternally ask why.

I totally disagree. Every middle schooler I see who dresses like a dork gets treated like one by their peers. That, and the whole MTV thing and those kids are under a lot of pressure to dress the part they wish to play.

A reversed mini sized backpack dangling over one's genitals is not cool and certainly not necessary. I wont think any less of folks who sport the FP but I will eternally ask why.

It's a free country and you are welcome to disagree :)
But as a parent I consider my main task is to help my kids distinguish what is important and what is not, what and WHO are valuable and what and who are not and how to withstand the meaningless peer pressure. MTV is not an authority either for me or for my kids - there is music except MTV.
Reversed mini sized backpack is nothing more than it is, and is like anything else you are wearing - your scrubs, cap, shoes or t-shirt. It doesn't have to dangle over the genitals - you can move it aside, probably (if you care).
I do not carry the fanny pack myself because I do not need it - I have enough pockets in my scrubs to stick few syringes, pens and phone. For any code I will have everything on the code cart (or my cart).
I could care less about anybody wearing it - for whatever reason. If he/she does - they need it and nothing else, without any hidden statement.

I just think the fanny packs are for the nurses. The nurses are the ones with all the gadgets in my experience. Some of the residents in my class may have had a fanny pack in the beginning but everyone ditched it by the CA2 year. We would laugh at the nurses who carried one and hadn't used some of the junk in there for over year. Why carry around something all day that you won't use? Just put it in the crash cart and grab it when needed outside the OR.

For the ladies (I know the men won't go for this!)

If there's anyway to wear a silk scarf underneath your OR cap your hair won't get matted down. I wear one under my motorcycle helmet and can get to class/work/the bar (these are all different places BTW), shake out my hair and get all girly again.

I can't wait to wear one!

An attending on one of my rotations wears a mini-skirt length type of device with pockets, loops, etc....all black, tons of stuff in it. I have "pack envy" (sts).

The Illinois Dept of Public Health recently re-issued its rules for proper conudct in the OR as part of its annual inspection of our hospital and, among other strange things, is the requirement not to have any extraneous clothing, including backpacks, cases, and fannypacks in the OR. Bummer fo you guys, I guess.

Now, if you used the utility belt for retractable blades, the bandolier for the drugs, stored the tubes sheathed behind your back ala Samurai, and the pouch for throwing stars to defend against would-be intubation poseurs (like me), THAT would be something! :laugh:

Now I know what to bring once I start my anesthesia rotation . . . heck I imagine the system could be modified for EM, IM, even surgery all sorts of applications. Then I can market this syetm to medical professionals and practice medicine just for the sport of it, rather than you know, needing an income.

Sorry to revive an old thread. Gonna start internship soon as a CA-0 so would like some opinion about wearing one? I got a pretty good looking one made of carbon kevlar:

6979-01.jpg

Would I still be laughed at? Thanks~

Perfect for surf fishing

or paddleboard fishing on a Yolo

My wife wears one at theme parks instead of carrying a purse...'nuf said. :D

Sorry, but one of the most effeminate and demasculating qualities of a guy is when they actually care about what other people think, especially when they care about what girls think. There is nothing more girly than worrying about image and appearance.

I'm a old married woman, so it doesn't really matter what I think - but from talking to my single girl and guy friends - if a guy wants to wear a fanny pack, don't be all sheepish and apologetic about it, just do it with the attitude of ' f what everyone thinks of me, I will wear what I want and I don't give a cr@p about some chick's opinion of me' And if a guy doesn't want to wear one, don't.

couldn't be said better :thumbup:

What the hell are you going to put in there?

My EDC consists of a pen, my phone, the code pager, and a skeletool. No need for a fanny pack.

couldn't be said better :thumbup:

Laurel123 said:
Sorry, but one of the most effeminate and demasculating qualities of a guy is when they actually care about what other people think, especially when they care about what girls think. There is nothing more girly than worrying about image and appearance.

So neither of you would take notice if all men showed up to work naked tomorrow? If we all farted incessantly in the OR? If we took no shame staring directly at your breasts while talking to you?

I just set up a quick joke, so I'll give you the punchline, "Sounds like my day in the Ortho room yesterday."

Now that the punchline is ruined, let me tell you what women really think. Women really do want guys to care about how they look, they just don't want to hear about it. They want it to be effortless. They want their men to look good without really trying. They want men to look presentable but not overly prepped. The last thing they want is a man to go on about looks like all their girlfriends go on all day.

They want men to care just enough about other people to be considerate of their needs, but not enough to look as if they only want to impress others, because...ahem...that would imply they care more about appearances than the woman, which may call into question the orientation of one or both.

Wait, before I lose all my friends, I haven't done this yet. But there are some cool ones (black leather, rocuronium, etc.) the drug reps give that some residents where and it makes many things lots easier. Is it an absolute sign that you have lost all dignity and respect for yourself? If so, I will never consider this option again. Thank you for your participation in this discussion, but please be "honest" not just "cool."

I gotta resurrect this thread for a moment... one other thing I wanted to discuss that was on my "list" to talk about on this forum...

Yes, I had to finally break down (or, should I say "breakdown") and get a fanny pack.

Okay, let's get the "fannypacker" and "did you grow a Freddy Mercury mustache and put on bikini underwear too?" (etc.) comments out of the way right now... here's why...

Unfortunately, seems I was developing meralgia paresthetica on my right side. Why? I'm not exactly sure. I'd had problems with this in the past, infrequently, during residency, especially when I was on-call and carrying the "in-house" phone in addition to my pager.

This got so bad in the month of August that I actually went to one of my pain colleagues and asked her what I should do. She believes the combination of the drawstring in the scrub pants, plus having a pager and cellphone and other things with clips on that side, was just putting too much pressure on my lateral femoral cutaneous nerve. My new post-residency cellphone is bigger (and which I take to the OR with me religiously) and I've been playing a lot more golf since I finished residency.

The end result?

She suggested a fanny pack to carry my absolute essentials to the OR with me. And, since I've been doing this (oh, the past three weeks or so), it's been getting a lot better.

So, I got a gay man-purse strapped to me when I go to the OR. Sorry. It's a medical necessity. I take back everything I said about these in the past. But, I'm still self-conscious enough that I tell people why I'm wearing one when I first meet them... don't want any hot bee-yotches thinking I'm a rump ranger.

-copro

So neither of you would take notice if all men showed up to work naked tomorrow? If we all farted incessantly in the OR? If we took no shame staring directly at your breasts while talking to you?

Hmmmm.... sounds like you didn't have logic as a subject in high school, otherwise you won't compare farting in front of other people( couldn't care less if the men showed up naked as long as they are clean) with wearing the fanny pack or bouffant cap ( CLEAN!!!). As per staring at the boobs you, guys, still do it anyway, right? ;)

It is totally ridiculous all that sexualharassmentcrapyouallarecrazyaboutintheus :laugh:

Now that the punchline is ruined, let me tell you what women really think. Women really do want guys to care about how they look, they just don't want to hear about it. They want it to be effortless. They want their men to look good without really trying. They want men to look presentable but not overly prepped. The last thing they want is a man to go on about looks like all their girlfriends go on all day.

They want men to care just enough about other people to be considerate of their needs, but not enough to look as if they only want to impress others, because...ahem...that would imply they care more about appearances than the woman, which may call into question the orientation of one or both.

this part I agree almost totally :)

Last edited:
So, I got a gay man-purse strapped to me when I go to the OR. Sorry. It's a medical necessity. I take back everything I said about these in the past. But, I'm still self-conscious enough that I tell people why I'm wearing one when I first meet them... don't want any hot bee-yotches thinking I'm a rump ranger.

-copro

:D

do not do it - sound like you are almost apologizing for wearing it -there is no need for it.

-copro

Avoid the explanation.

Just get that embroidered on the pack.

...the combination of the drawstring in the scrub pants, plus having a pager and cellphone and other things with clips on that side, was just putting too much pressure on my lateral femoral cutaneous nerve. My new post-residency cellphone is bigger (and which I take to the OR with me religiously) and I've been playing a lot more golf since I finished residency.

Don't your scrubs have pockets? My personal phone (no pager - work contacts me thru this) +/- work phone (when I've doing a shift where I carry one) both sit in the pockets of my scrubs. As does anything else I carry with me at work.

Seems a soft excuse for the fanny pack :eyebrow:.

Avoid the explanation.

Just get that embroidered on the pack.

Maybe in pink....with little flowers.

Sorry copro - but you couldn't seriously expect to resurrect this thread without consequences.

-copro

So you are man enough to own an arsenal yet you aren't manly enough to sport a fanny pack without sweating it?

Come on dude grow a sack please.

:slap:

the real *studs* in my program take the fanny pack and throw it across one shoulder like they are rambo with an ammo belt flung across their chests. What they dont realize that it looks more like a purse.

It's called a satchel. Indiana Jones has one.

Don't your scrubs have pockets? My personal phone (no pager - work contacts me thru this) +/- work phone (when I've doing a shift where I carry one) both sit in the pockets of my scrubs. As does anything else I carry with me at work.

Dude, as fat as my wallet's gotten over the past several months, it sure as hell ain't going to fit into a scrub pocket.

Come on dude grow a sack please.

I did. It's black cordura and is attached to my waist.

-copro

This thread just made my morning. Well, learning Copro wears a fanny pack in the OR made my morning, but it happened on this thread.

For what it's worth, the on-call person at my institution has a sling backpack for the code stuff. Much more legit. Otherwise, I've seen +/- on the fanny packs.

Well, I toyed with the idea of a fanny pack in residency. Glad I didn't go that route. Now in PP all I really need is a black pen and my iphone. Everything else is there in the OR or will be brought to me if I ask a nurse. The only thing I've ever wished I had was diaper--for those days when I drank 3 cups of coffee before 7am and then found out that no one was giving breaks and I started the day with a 4 hour case. I suppose a nurse would place a foley if I asked.:laugh:

Well, I toyed with the idea of a fanny pack in residency. Glad I didn't go that route. Now in PP all I really need is a black pen and my iphone. Everything else is there in the OR or will be brought to me if I ask a nurse. The only thing I've ever wished I had was diaper--for those days when I drank 3 cups of coffee before 7am and then found out that no one was giving breaks and I started the day with a 4 hour case. I suppose a nurse would place a foley if I asked.:laugh:

I was a CA1 when I thought about this. I was nervously carrying too much crap at the time. Now I don't carry anything but my pen and my pager and my cell. Although they look totally gay, some people can pull it off...

ChuckNorrisFannyPack.png

I was a CA1 when I thought about this. I was nervously carrying too much crap at the time. Now I don't carry anything but my pen and my pager and my cell. Although they look totally gay, some people can pull it off...

ChuckNorrisFannyPack.png

you sure did a LOT of editing :(

You know what, I'm getting an EVEN BIGGER fanny pack after reading this thread...

I'm going to get one that looks like quarter-horse saddle bag. Hot pink. And, the sweater too.

Dance, Dance, Dance, BABY, DANCE!

F**k the naysayers!

il_430xN.13716267.jpg

-copro