This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Philtheparakeet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to a DO school in the southeast. I applied to several schools (both MD and DO) in my home state (NY) and no success. I've already paid my deposit, but I am seriously considering retaking the MCAT and reapplying this cycle and hope for some success in my home state.

Current stats: 500 Mcat, 3.1 uGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 3.7 grad GPA.
Currently work in a research lab at a major medical school in NYC.
400 volunteer hours at clinic.

I also applied late in the cycle (end of August). I was thinking if I scored 508+ and apply by June, I could possibly obtain admission at a medical school closerto home.

So is it stupid to go through the whole process again? or Should I just go with the acceptance that I already have?

Members don't see this ad.

Most everyone will tell you that turning down that acceptance is a death knell to your chances at DO schools and likely MD as well (since you're a marginal MD applicant, IMO).

I briefly considered turning down an acceptance this cycle and trying to submit much earlier to DO and MD schools in my city since I have roots/family/own a home here, etc. But it was very brief because I realized the inconvenience of moving a couple hours away and starting over again would be worth it in the long term. It certainly beats trying again next cycle and shooting myself in the foot.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think you can make an 8+ point improvement on the MCAT? Not an easy thing to accomplish.

Unless you absolutely hated the school you were accepted to during your interview, it's a risk.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you think you can make an 8+ point improvement on the MCAT? Not an easy thing to accomplish.

Unless you absolutely hated the school you were accepted to during your interview, it's a risk.

Possibly. Will be taking a FL this weekend. That score will determine if I will retake the MCAT or not. Not sure if I will like the area. My whole life is in NY (SO, family, condo). Not sure how I will do in a rural area since I'm from an urban area.

Most everyone will tell you that turning down that acceptance is a death knell to your chances at DO schools and likely MD as well (since you're a marginal MD applicant, IMO).

I briefly considered turning down an acceptance this cycle and trying to submit much earlier to DO and MD schools in my city since I have roots/family/own a home here, etc. But it was very brief because I realized the inconvenience of moving a couple hours away and starting over again would be worth it in the long term. It certainly beats trying again next cycle and shooting myself in the foot.

Thanks for your input!

Possibly. Will be taking a FL this weekend. That score will determine if I will retake the MCAT or not. Not sure if I will like the area. My whole life is in NY (SO, family, condo). Not sure how I will do in a rural area since I'm from an urban area.

Then why on earth did you apply there? If you reapply you need to know that with your academic profile that there is a significant risk that you will not get another acceptance and are risking your medical career.

Reactions: 5 users
Take your acceptance and run. If you reapplied next cycle, I bet you would not receive a single interview if they saw you rejected a DO school already.

Reactions: 1 user
Bird in the hand.....

I was accepted to a DO school in the southeast. I applied to several schools (both MD and DO) in my home state (NY) and no success. I've already paid my deposit, but I am seriously considering retaking the MCAT and reapplying this cycle and hope for some success in my home state.

I also applied late in the cycle (end of August). I was thinking if I scored 508+ and apply by June, I could possibly obtain admission at a medical school closerto home.

So is it stupid to go through the whole process again? or Should I just go with the acceptance that I already have?

Reactions: 15 users
I agree - then why did you apply to that school? It does not look good if you rescinded an acceptance, and decide to apply again next year. Plus, you would be waiting another year to start medical school. I would start this summer, if I were you.

Did you already submit your deposit?

While you may have decent reasons for wanting to try again (in state school, closer to home, cheaper tuition, possibly more reputable school) also remember:

1. You may not get into instate next year, so then all those points are moot.
2. While saving on tuition is important, a 20%-50% difference in tuition cost still won't stop you from becoming a doctor. Not going to medical school guaranteed will stop you from getting the medical degree.
3. Unless you are aiming for a top tier school (pretty much just Harvard in my opinion) it won't really matter where you get your medical degree, or even if it is MD or DO. You can do everything with a medical degree from a ranked 175 school as you can with a medical degree from a top 10 school. It will be up to you ambition.

So if you really want to be a doctor, here is your chance. Take it and thank the gods you got in. Many who have better scores and extra-curricular's than you haven't and are hungry for your spot.

Thanks for the advice! I am really grateful for the acceptance and was ecstatic when I found out. I would love to stay near home but seems like I will go with the acceptance.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Then why on earth did you apply there?

Some people want to go medical school and will apply broadly, or some applicants will look up what are the 'best' schools and apply there, even to places that in retrospect may not be where they want to end up or what they want to pay. Not saying this is the case for OP.

Thanks for the advice! I am really grateful for the acceptance and was ecstatic when I found out. I would love to stay near home but seems like I will go with the acceptance.

I think you are making a wise choice. Going outside of home/comfort zone is also a wonderful way of growing as a person, but can be intimidating. Not saying that is the case, just my own experience (undergraduate near home, moved 2 states away for graduate school even though wanted to stay in state but took the leap. Best decision of my life). Good luck and will see you in 4 years with a Dr. in front of your name!

If you turn this down, remember you may never become a Physician. I know you're grateful, so stick with it, kick ass in med school, and move forward. :)

While it's statistically a better chance, even if you crush your MCAT retake, there's no guarantee you would be accepted anywhere else. If you applied MD with bare minimum DO stats, you must think you're an exception to the rule or something. You should have learned from this arduous application cycle is that you're not special and you're not owed anything.

As it stands now, you were lucky to get a DO acceptance. And the ones in New York are as competitive as a lot of MD programs.

Reactions: 1 users
While it's statistically a better chance, even if you crush your MCAT retake, there's no guarantee you would be accepted anywhere else. If you applied MD with bare minimum DO stats, you must think you're an exception to the rule or something. You should have learned from this arduous application cycle is that you're not special and you're not owed anything.

As it stands now, you were lucky to get a DO acceptance. And the ones in New York are as competitive as a lot of MD programs.

You assume I think I'm special. I know I'm not. You do not know my story or background.

Not worth it. You are a marginal applicant, at least on paper, and you should be extraordinarily grateful to have an acceptance. You will never forgive yourself if you turn down the acceptance and don't get in anywhere next cycle.

You assume I think I'm special. I know I'm not. You do not know my story or background.
I really mean no offense. I'm actually in a very similar situation as you and only got accepted to schools multiple states away as well. I can sympathize.

But if you applied MD with a 500 MCAT, some part of you must have thought you might have a chance at getting an acceptance for no reason. That's magic thinking. The same kind of thinking that makes people believe that it'll work out if they just repeat their mistakes.

Sometimes getting this stuff out there to read or hearing it out loud helps people realize the reality of their situation.

I sincerely hope you're happy with whatever decision you end up making.

I think every person with a DO acceptance has thought this at least once, threads like this are grounding/humbling.

Take the DO acceptance. Congrats.

Reactions: 6 users
I think every person with a DO acceptance has thought this at least once, threads like this are grounding/humbling.

Take the DO acceptance. Congrats.

I agree with this post completely!

OP, don't feel discouraged or stupid from the previous comments; it isn't stupid that you're thinking this way because I feel like a lot of us applicants have thought about this at one point or another. I certainly have, but I realized that it would be asinine of me to give up my medical school acceptance when I've already done all this hard work getting letters of recommendations together, completing secondaries, and flying out for interviews. In addition, I already paid my non-refundable deposit, and I would hate for it to go to waste.

Sounds like you have already made your decision, and best of luck to you!

I've noticed that after a one or a couple acceptances, a lot of us think "Oh, I got two acceptances! Surely if I were to apply earlier/better/wiser next cycle, Ill get more!"

I'm guilty of this as well, but then I remind myself how lucky I am to even have a single acceptance. We get so caught up in trying to go to the "best" school that we forget about the effort we already put in to be a physician, and the effort we still need to perform. After this, its all up to you to put in the effort in medical school regardless of where you go. You won't get a derm match just because you passed Step 1 at Harvard.

You'd call yourself crazy if you told your June-self that youve been accepted to medical school, but maybe youll take the MCAT again to maybe get to a better school.

Something else to think about is tuition (to the best of my knowledge) is only going up, and every year you're not in med school yet is ~150-200k earning potential missed out on as a doc. Not to mention a year less of doing what you will hopefully love to do!

Go with the acceptance for sure! If you want it bad enough you will thrive!

Thanks everybody! Once again, it's not about getting into the best school, it's about staying local.

I personally know individuals with similar stats that got accepted to ivy leagues. Heck I even know a person that got accepted into a SUNY and they're OOS. You'd think this person would have stellar stats? No. They all had compelling stories. I may not have the best stats but I built my application in other areas. There was no magical thinking involved as my school list was extremely broad. I am very well aware that I am an underdog.

I will be taking the acceptance. For the time being I'll be enjoying time with loved ones and will make sure to go to the beach at lease once a day :)

PCOM...Parakeet College of Osteopathic Medicine :rolleyes:

PM me

SUNY's do take OOS students.

I know plenty of SDNers who have failed to get into MD schools with similar stats. My anecdote trumps yours. Very few people have compelling stories such that they salvage a 500 MCAT score for an MD school.

Congrats on the accept. Four years will go fast. Now go read my post on guide to med student success, and try to avoid magic thinking in the future, especially around match list time.

Thanks everybody! Once again, it's not about getting into the best school, it's about staying local.

I personally know individuals with similar stats that got accepted to ivy leagues. Heck I even know a person that got accepted into a SUNY and they're OOS. You'd think this person would have stellar stats? No. They all had compelling stories. I may not have the best stats but I built my application in other areas. There was no magical thinking involved as my school list was extremely broad. I am very well aware that I am an underdog.

I will be taking the acceptance. For the time being I'll be enjoying time with loved ones and will make sure to go to the beach at lease once a day :)

Congrats OP, you picked the wiser decision. Don't know you but I'm proud of you for moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

NO, NO, NO. You take an acceptance and be the doctor you want to be. Period.

508+ won't be enough to save you, IMO. If you apply MD this cycle you will not have a successful cycle

Last edited:
I know people say that turning down your acceptance kills you for next cycle, but the one girl I know who did it still got interviews at the same schools that she turned down the previous year. N=1 I know but still, not sure it's a hard rule.