Is this job worth listing on my VMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sunnyshine

Kansas State C/O 2015
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did some volunteer work taking care of the laboratory dogs at my school. It was only for one semester and only for like a half an hour after school a couple days a week. I only totaled 19.5 hours for the semester while doing it. Does anyone think this job is worth mentioning in the animal experience section? Thanks!
 
I would definitely put in on your application. It can't do any harm and every little bit of experience helps. Plus it's another type of environment in which you've cared for animals. I don't really see any reason not to. Just my opinion 🙂 Good luck!
 
I did some volunteer work taking care of the laboratory dogs at my school. It was only for one semester and only for like a half an hour after school a couple days a week. I only totaled 19.5 hours for the semester while doing it. Does anyone think this job is worth mentioning in the animal experience section? Thanks!

I think its definitely worth adding...any experience you have with animals is worth it, and lab animals will definitely add a dimension to your application--it shows that you see animal research as a fundamental part of veterinary medicine. Some people have a huge problem with it...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yes i do think it is worth mentioning since it was with laboratory dogs. did you happen to see anything done in the lab? you can always talk about observing things. if you didn't observe anything, did you at least ask questions about what was being done? you could write a sentence about what you learned. it's not much, but it is something involved with lab animals so it is a little bit different than just a SA kennel assistant. And everyone should list kennel assistant hours too even if it was for a SA clinic, so yea, include it!
 
I would mention every possible thing you can. Even if its the same type of work you do at other places, its still in a different setting so you may be learning and experiencing different things. Plus, this isn't just more dogs, these are laboratory dogs which can have a completely different emotional feel than dogs at a basic clinic setting.
 
I say list everything baby!! we are selling ourselves to these schools---so I plan on putting absolutely everything down