This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thedailystruggler

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, international student here.

Do all international pre-med students need CPT just to volunteer in a hospital off-campus? I talked to my school's international students' office a few weeks ago and all they told me was that CPT was unnecessary if I plan to volunteer strictly as community service. That means I can't put down my volunteering/clinical experience anywhere, not even on a med school application or resumé. However, if I do want to put my clinical experience anywhere, I need CPT. And get this: CPT requires that my volunteering have something to do with my curriculum and major, which is impossible since my major is Psychology, and there's no pre-med major at my school. I'm already a sophomore with zero to no clinical experience, and in desperate need of some.

How do you guys do it?

Sincerely,
Charlie
 
They’re being unnecessarily difficult. I never had that problem in my school. You’re not getting paid as a volunteer so I don’t know why it would have to count as CPT. And if you are part of an experience, I don’t know how they’re going to preclude you from putting it on your resume. Your resume isn’t some sort of federal document. It’s a personal piece of paper immigration people have no business looking at. It all sounds so bs to me. Sorry you’re dealing with that.
 
They’re being unnecessarily difficult. I never had that problem in my school. You’re not getting paid as a volunteer so I don’t know why it would have to count as CPT. And if you are part of an experience, I don’t know how they’re going to preclude you from putting it on your resume. Your resume isn’t some sort of federal document. It’s a personal piece of paper immigration people have no business looking at. It all sounds so bs to me. Sorry you’re dealing with that.

The only experience that I can gain without filing for a CPT is if I shadow. I explained to them how it's ridiculous to need CPT to shadow when I'm only gonna be there to observe the doctor throughout his day. Fortunately, they met with some higher-ups and said that it was fine. But even if I have 500+ hours of shadowing, nothing beats having volunteering experience.

About volunteering, I don't know why but that's the way it is, at least in their terms. According to them, the only way I can file for a CPT is if the volunteering has something to do with my curriculum, which is total BS. They also told me if I want it to be a part of my curriculum, I need to set up an independent study with my department. But then I can't do that anymore since the damn registration date has passed so I have to wait till next semester D:

I've scheduled an appointment with my pre-med advisor, for the 3rd time, to further discuss this issue.