It may be early, those who have been accepted to Temple are you going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ok so i did some calling today on the RESIDENCY issue in PA; and according to this NICE lady who answered the phone, she says it only takes 30 days to establish legal residency in PA :confused: she went on to say that for educational purposes you wont be considered a resident ( for in-state tuition) until after 12 months. So now im thinking that the big "issue" is a TEMPLE issue and not a PA issue. So, I'm GUESSING that it is up to the school to decide who IS ELIGIBLE for in-state tuition?!?!??!??!?!?!? anyone want to take a shot @ clearing this up???? :D

Members don't see this ad.

good luck to all you guys that got accepted! Although I won't be around to see any of you (hopefully...if i can get through all my requirements)...i wish y'all all the best...and get some rest this summer!!!!...it's gonna be a helluva next 4 years...

mrodr043 said:
ok so i did some calling today on the RESIDENCY issue in PA; and according to this NICE lady who answered the phone, she says it only takes 30 days to establish legal residency in PA :confused: she went on to say that for educational purposes you wont be considered a resident ( for in-state tuition) until after 12 months. So now im thinking that the big "issue" is a TEMPLE issue and not a PA issue. So, I'm GUESSING that it is up to the school to decide who IS ELIGIBLE for in-state tuition?!?!??!??!?!?!? anyone want to take a shot @ clearing this up???? :D

Who are you calling that is so rude to you. I've called twice now and I have been referred to as "sweetie" and "honey".

My question then is what is considered legal residency in PA after 30 days.. Is it 30 days after the purchase of a house or condo.

Sincerely

Dazed and Confused

Members don't see this ad :)
1992Corolla said:
JPdent- you're from VA right? Are you close to buena vista, VA? My twin sister lives there w/ her man and child.
Also have you ever heard of Bill Strong and the V8 mr2?
Just wondering.

I'm from NOVA (Northern Virginia) so I'm nowhere near Buena Vista. I think she lives further southwest from me. Probably 2-3 hour drive (somewhere midway between JMU (my undergrad school) and VTech). And isn't Bill Strong the owner of some racing motorsports company specializing in MR2...(I think that name kinda ring a bell cuz my bro is also into cars). That's about all i know. It's somewhere further down from Charlottesville i believe.

hockeydentist said:
Who are you calling that is so rude to you. I've called twice now and I have been referred to as "sweetie" and "honey".

My question then is what is considered legal residency in PA after 30 days.. Is it 30 days after the purchase of a house or condo.

Sincerely

Dazed and Confused

Well i called the financial aid office only once, and the lady that answered was RUDE... (I called on dec. 1, so she was probably stressed out ) i think somone else posted the same thing though so maybe thats y u are thinking that someone is being rude all the time??????? i dunno w/e ... LOL

I called a different place about the PA residency thing ( NOT TEMPLE ) and the lady was veryyyyyy NICE and HELPFUL. I found it on the internet, its a site for people who are new to PA, they have a number too ( thats where i called) and i think it is 30 days from the day of ur lease, rent, purchase... stuff like that. Are you planning on buying??? and umm where are u looking to move to ??? :)

mrodr043 said:
Well i called the financial aid office only once, and the lady that answered was RUDE... (I called on dec. 1, so she was probably stressed out ) i think somone else posted the same thing though so maybe thats y u are thinking that someone is being rude all the time??????? i dunno w/e ... LOL

I called a different place about the PA residency thing ( NOT TEMPLE ) and the lady was veryyyyyy NICE and HELPFUL. I found it on the internet, its a site for people who are new to PA, they have a number too ( thats where i called) and i think it is 30 days from the day of ur lease, rent, purchase... stuff like that. Are you planning on buying??? and umm where are u looking to move to ??? :)

So you don't have to buy property in order to be considered a resident?
I was under the assumption that you had to buy property. If you just have to get a lease or rent to get residency status, that makes it more interesting.

My initial plans were to buy a condo, somewhere in town 2 bedroom at most (so that I could share the cost of the condo). Also where the likely hood of selling after 4 years would be good. I am looking at saving 40,000 dollars if I was able to get residence status.

i have heard that is it very difficult to get residency in PA when compared to other states. however, the admissions lady at Pitt said that it can be very random and worth applying for. she recommended appealing several times if they deny you residency. she seemed pretty knowledgable, so if you want another opinion, im sure she would answer your questions. i dont know her number, but im sure its on the Pitt website-her name is Rose Mangold.

yeah, Bill Strong is pretty innovative. I guess he's a legend in VA considering you've heard of him too. I'll let everyone know at mr2oc.com

PickMe said:
i have heard that is it very difficult to get residency in PA when compared to other states.

when i was on my interview at temple, one of the students was able to get residency who bought a house and had a family. Another student I talked to has been having a lot of issues getting residency because he had an out-of-state co-signer when he bought his house.

Moral of the story: don't have an out-of-state co-signer if you buy property.

cgDDS said:
when i was on my interview at temple, one of the students was able to get residency who bought a house and had a family. Another student I talked to has been having a lot of issues getting residency because he had an out-of-state co-signer when he bought his house.

Moral of the story: don't have an out-of-state co-signer if you buy property.

I need to make friends with a cosigner in PA...! :eek: :D

anybody get any new information.

HD

did you guys fill out the fafsa yet or are you waiting for some kind of package from the financial aid office

Members don't see this ad :)
I filled out, but have not sent it in yet.

Yah I am waiting on information from Temple.

HD

For those of you looking to buy a home at school, do you have a real estate agent yet? If you do, do you mind sharing the agent's information with me. I am flying back to philly in a couple of weeks and would like to look at homes while I am there and an agent would help a lot. You can just list them or send me a pm. Thanks a lot.

1992Corolla said:
It's my first (not because it's one of my only... ;) ) choices. Who's going?
Let me introduce you to me.
I have red hair and a sweet mustache. Thats all you need to know. If you need help getting in then touch my stache, as it is good luck.
Ben

I am going just got my acceptance letter today!! We'll see yall there!! For all those going from utah drop me a line I'd like to see whose going from the Beehive state.

me and two others from uvsc! we'll all have to hang out sometime...

1992Corolla said:
me and two others from uvsc! we'll all have to hang out sometime...

"Represent'n" (Trying to work on the Phili lingo) from the U of U, I just got my acceptance to Temple. I’m so excited!!! I would love to hang out sometime.

Did any of you get the letter about second deposit.
HD

Anybody get anything from the school lately??

HD

no, I called a couple weeks ago because I didn't get my deposit receipt and they said look for more stuff in march.

So far just a reciept and pin number w/out an id.

I have an interview next week...if accepted, I'm there!

thomasjm said:
I have an interview next week...if accepted, I'm there!
Good luck with the interview. look at like this if you don't secure a seat this cycle, possiblity of getting in the next cycle is very high. what happened to me..

so any news lately? im abroad right now so im relying on this forum for any updates. lets revive this thread. so whats everyone doing before school starts?

It's late now and many waiting to hear are going to be biting their nails until April 1st when the final deposit is due. I have a freind waiting and I know waht he is going through so I could only imagine the rest. As for getting ready, I have started refamiliarizing myself with alginate impressions, making the stone mold, etc etc... I have also began looking at a dental anatomy book to get myself familiar with the terminology. I've got an old tooth carving book my father had that was used by Temple in the 70's and I would like to try it but i'm not sure what type of wax to use. Other than that I plan on assisting 3 days a week at my fathers office as soon as I finish this semester in grad school. It's a bummer I have to drive from philly to north central PA, but its worth it i think.... getting myself prepared now will only make the transition easier in august. My wife and I are putting our house on the market next month and looking for apts in the manyunk area so that I am closer to school.

Greetings all... I will officially be going to Temple in the fall so I thought I'd jump in.

Don't know about you but I'm equal parts excited and nervous about starting dental school...

At any rate, I'm from Philadelphia, and have lived in the city for 5 years and know the city really well. (I was even deferred to a few times during my group interview). Anyway, if you have any questions...feel free to ask.

docious said:
At any rate, I'm from Philadelphia, and have lived in the city for 5 years and know the city really well. (I was even deferred to a few times during my group interview). Anyway, if you have any questions...feel free to ask.

I was only in Philly for a day for my interview and now my wife and I are looking to buy a house. What is your opinion of the Upper Darby / Lansdowne areas?

Lake Powell Lvr said:
I was only in Philly for a day for my interview and now my wife and I are looking to buy a house. What is your opinion of the Upper Darby / Lansdowne areas?

To be honest, I haven't spent much time in that area, but it's supposed to be a decent area. It's right on the western edge of the city... past the 'West Philadelphia' depicted in the theme song to the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. My girlfriend had a friend who lived out there while in grad school at UPenn and said it was fine.

While it's very close to the terminal of one of the subway lines, it's a little hike to get to Temple SOD... you have to take one line all the way into town and then transfer to go all the way north.

However, you will probably be able to get a good deal on a house. Don't know what you're looking to spend, but may be worth considering buying in Graduate Hospital area as well...

What up owls

Quick question regarding the health physical checkup. Is there a due date when this stuff needs to be turned in. I can't recall and the clinic has all my temple paperwork, so I can't verify if there was a date due on the forms.

Reason being, I am assumed that I would have everything taken care of except the third hep-b shot by june. I figured I would send the health forms in june after the second hep-shot.

thanks again
HD