It's Halftime in Amercia...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You know my opinion on the debt and deficits, but can't we be a little more selective in which graphs we cut & paste?

:laugh: short answer: No.

Manipulative propaganda is the reason the republican party is fracturing and nothing can get accomplished in congress. You have the right wing bubble and the beltway bubble and facts and honesty CANNOT get through to either.

C'mon...these guys constantly rely on cartoons to make their point. Well, that's when there not using carefully constructed talking points. Yea, the volt is slowing production, BUT the Camry, Civic, Altima, Focus, and Fusion are also in the top 10. These types of facts don't help their case, so they just omit and misdirect.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...s-top-10-best-selling-vehicles/1#.T1QaaFbYE5R

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: short answer: No.

Manipulative propaganda is the reason the republican party is fracturing and nothing can get accomplished in congress. You have the right wing bubble and the beltway bubble and facts and honesty CANNOT get through to either.

C'mon...these guys constantly rely on cartoons to make their point. Well, that's when there not using carefully constructed talking points. Yea, the volt is slowing production, BUT the Camry, Civic, Altima, Focus, and Fusion are also in the top 10. These types of facts don't help their case, so they just omit and misdirect.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...s-top-10-best-selling-vehicles/1#.T1QaaFbYE5R

It isn't about cars slim. It's about my money being stolen by govt. officials to help some rich liberal in SanFrancisco get a new Chevy Volt.

Here is a graph for the Liberals:

1. Stop stealing my money through high, punitive taxes to pay for wealth redistribution.
2. Cut the budget by a few trillion over 10 years
3. Reduce all programs to 2008 levels and FREEZE them
4. End all Federal Unions; if they don't like what the taxpayer offers in terms of salary find a new job.
5. Slash govt. work force to 2008 levels

national-debt-crisis-debt-crisis-14-trillion-greek-riotsin-america-2013-dollar-collaps-lindsy-williams.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Per capita debt figures without the context of per capita income or GDP isn't very useful.

Where does Germany fall on that scary graph? Canada? UK? Japan? It's insanity to make the statement that we're worse off than Greece, for example, but that's exactly what that graph implies.

I hate these graphs; they're essentially propaganda tools that are set up to mislead. Many of them, if they showed up in an anesthesiology journal, would result in said journal getting tossed in the trash.

You know my opinion on the debt and deficits, but can't we be a little more selective in which graphs we cut & paste?

We still rank worse than many of those PIIGS countries in debt to GDP as well. Either way....

....This does not look good.

It isn't about cars slim. It's about my money being stolen by govt. officials to help some rich liberal in SanFrancisco get a new Chevy Volt.

You keep wanting to argue about the parsley and not the meat and potatoes on the plate of government spending.

Here's a little clip on your class warfare, REdistribution of wealth. Funny how the initial distribution of wealth can never be addressed....To put this in context they had just shown how ending the Bush Tax cuts for the top 1-2% would save ~$700B.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/t...-class-warfare---the-poor-s-free-ride-is-over

Last edited:
Well your clown extended them. Obama = Bush. Get it??

You don't actually follow politics huh?....remember the Repubs blocking the extensions for everyone unless the top got them as well?

You don't actually follow politics huh?....remember the Repubs blocking the extensions for everyone unless the top got them as well?

And try finding a single piece of data indicating that those upper tier breaks created, or will create,a SINGLE job, which was as usual the republican line.

Math could care less about politics. Why should anybody get tax cut extensions? We are broke.

Last edited:
Like I said Blend; you really need to get informed on the issues. I can tell that morning joe is going to set you straight. Stop trying to come up with inane reasons why you should not be exposed to media that will allow you to be informed.

Just as you pointed out - and I can tell - you're left leaning. That is why I prescribed an MSNBC program that would fit your needs. An overtly right leaning news broadcast would be a shock to your system and it would not lead to enlightenment.

GL. Just watch one morning joe and tell me what you think.

PS: DX, RX etc. dont require google lol.

1. You are just too willing to adopt politically designed talking points that contain distortions, cherry picking, and semantic tricks.
2. I am a left leaning moderate on most issues, but quite conservative on others. I will vote Obama, but my motivation is to call out bad information not blindly follow as a fanboy. If you look at my first posts in this thread all the way to my last one, it is showing that the main talking point of the right, " thing's are worse now than before Obama" just flat out isn't true unless you base it on emotion and nothing more.
3. Joe is a douche, his sponsor "starbucks" is the epitomy of what I hate about greed and corporations ****ting on hardworking, family-owned local businesses.
4. I know your DX/RX is a joke, but the funnier part is your framing it such a way as a prehealth student who doesn't know what their talking about to begin with. 90 sec google searches an expert does not make.

Last edited:
And try finding a single piece of data indicating that those upper tier breaks created, or will create,a SINGLE job, which was as usual the republican line.

They do as much good for the economy as the massive debt spending bills that are called "stimulus;" that being no benefit at all.

Toss Bush a few steroids and you have Obama.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The thing I find interesting about politics is that doctors are conveniently positioned to be f***ed by both sides.

Most doctors earn enough to be in the top or near-top income tax brackets, but not enough to exploit loopholes.

Democrats are more interested in protecting lawyers, patients who can't pay and unionized nurses, Republicans are more interested in protecting insurance companies, pharma, investment bankers and oil barons. None of them care about the interests of doctors.

If you're earning under $30k or over $30m a year, you're probably getting taxed similarly. Doctors earn enough that no one feels sorry for them, but not enough to be worth sheltering.

Republicans have fooled doctors into thinking they care about their interests, and Democrats group doctors into the 1% even though they're more often the 2% (and the real problem with income inequality in the US is with the 0.1% or even 0.01%).

The debates you see on all cable news channels are generally dumbed down and completely irrational, and as physicians/soon-to-be-physicians I would have hoped we'd be able to see through most of it.

The thing I find interesting about politics is that doctors are conveniently positioned to be f***ed by both sides.

Most doctors earn enough to be in the top or near-top income tax brackets, but not enough to exploit loopholes.

Democrats are more interested in protecting lawyers, patients who can't pay and unionized nurses, Republicans are more interested in protecting insurance companies, pharma, investment bankers and oil barons. None of them care about the interests of doctors.

If you're earning under $30k or over $30m a year, you're probably getting taxed similarly. Doctors earn enough that no one feels sorry for them, but not enough to be worth sheltering.

Republicans have fooled doctors into thinking they care about their interests, and Democrats group doctors into the 1% even though they're more often the 2% (and the real problem with income inequality in the US is with the 0.1% or even 0.01%).

The debates you see on all cable news channels are generally dumbed down and completely irrational, and as physicians/soon-to-be-physicians I would have hoped we'd be able to see through most of it.

Pretty much correct. But we are a 2 party system so you need to ask yourself which one will you support?

Do you want Ronald Reagan or Barack Obamna?

Pretty much correct. But we are a 2 party system so you need to ask yourself which one will you support?

Do you want Ronald Reagan or Barack Obamna?

Wow, ever heard of a false dichotomy? Add that to you skipping 2 republican presidents, AND asserting that Ronald Reagan has a equal in the current race. :laugh:

You can't actually do math huh? Why should anybody get tax cut extensions? We are broke.

You change positions more often than a hooker in overtime.So now you're FOR tax increases?

We are not broke, that's another talking point. We have an allocation of funds problem combined with low revenue from recession and higher costs to our largest programs because the baby boomers are here.

Reaganomics has been debunked over and over ( I am happy to address this further) but we know that the people most likely to spend their tax extension are the middle and lower class. That money is most needed by them AND is most likely to help benefit the overall economy.

Like I said Blend; you really need to get informed on the issues. I can tell that morning joe is going to set you straight. Stop trying to come up with inane reasons why you should not be exposed to media that will allow you to be informed.

Just as you pointed out - and I can tell - you're left leaning. That is why I prescribed an MSNBC program that would fit your needs. An overtly right leaning news broadcast would be a shock to your system and it would not lead to enlightenment.

GL. Just watch one morning joe and tell me what you think.

PS: DX, RX etc. dont require google lol.

You've been mentioning Morning Joe in several posts. I have seen his show. He's nothing special. I check in with EVERY major news station to get their spin on and read multiple sources of day-to-day issues. That is how one can develop an overlapping understanding of the issues and make up their own mind. I don't religiously watch any news specific program.

I think you need to realize that TV news today on all networks is a consumer product. MSNBC tells the lefties how the evil republicans are puppets to their masters in industry and corporate owners while themselves being owned by GE and Morning Joe sponsored by Starbucks.

FOX tells the righties how Obama is evil, alters photos, leaves out details of stories, they even call Republicans, Democrats and change the graphics when it suits their narrative, all while claiming to be fair and balanced.
They all have a responsibility/loyalty to their sponsors not the public.
I would like to see a law imposed that if a show wants to call itself "NEWS" it has a responsibility to be truthful and openly retract bad info. But this would create an informed public and nobody in charge wants that.

You need to work on your objectivity.

Morning Joe just seems like a likable guy. I could get a beer with him and shoot the stuff over a cup of coffee in the morning. Even during the show I kinda feel like I'm apart of the disucssion in the morning.

I get some good info while getting a good laugh or two. They do a good job of balancing out the pure facts with a little comedic anecdote. I think it's a solid program - just the other day he was talking about how bad our debt was. I tend to agree with him.

Come on man! It's "Joe".

You've been mentioning Morning Joe in several posts. I have seen his show. He's nothing special. I check in with EVERY major news station to get their spin on and read multiple sources of day-to-day issues. That is how one can develop an overlapping understanding of the issues and make up their own mind. I don't religiously watch any news specific program.

I think you need to realize that TV news today on all networks is a consumer product. MSNBC tells the lefties how the evil republicans are puppets to their masters in industry and corporate owners while themselves being owned by GE and Morning Joe sponsored by Starbucks.

FOX tells the righties how Obama is evil, alters photos, leaves out details of stories, they even call Republicans, Democrats and change the graphics when it suits their narrative, all while claiming to be fair and balanced.
They all have a responsibility/loyalty to their sponsors not the public.
I would like to see a law imposed that if a show wants to call itself "NEWS" it has a responsibility to be truthful and openly retract bad info. But this would create an informed public and nobody in charge wants that.

You need to work on your objectivity.

I agree....I probably differ with Scarborough on every possible position, but at the very least he seems like a decent guy with real conviction. Can't really say the same about the craven coward who's currently the GOP frontrunner.

Morning Joe just seems like a likable guy. I could get a beer with him and shoot the stuff over a cup of coffee in the morning. Even during the show I kinda feel like I'm apart of the disucssion in the morning.

I get some good info while getting a good laugh or two. They do a good job of balancing out the pure facts with a little comedic anecdote. I think it's a solid program - just the other day he was talking about how bad our debt was. I tend to agree with him.

Come on man! It's "Joe".

Last edited:

Come on man! It's "Joe".

You and your opinions are a becoming a waste of my time. I'm about the truth and facts. Try it sometime. Likability does not equal journalistic accuracy. Go back through the posts and address my points that you have ignored.

Excuse me. Mitt Romney or Barack Obama. There is a difference.

Except, they are both undercover atheists pretending to be Christians while raised as something else.

I think mit would be as much a pragmatist as obama, but he has zero connection with the poor and would have the same compassion for them as he does for companies he has destroyed through Bain.

Except, they are both undercover atheists pretending to be Christians while raised as something else.

I think mit would be as much a pragmatist as obama, but he has zero connection with the poor and would have the same compassion for them as he does for companies he has destroyed through Bain.

Our country needs a balanced budget; Mitt will get that done over 8 years.

Mormons aren't atheists and Mitt Romney is a devout Mormon by all evidence.

The USA can no longer afford to give benefits to every citizen. The poorest among us should get govt. assistance to teach them to fish if possible and stop giving them free fish on a daily basis.

Yellow represents the percentage of Democrats that feel Obama is a better president than Bush. Purple represents the Democrats that feel Bush was a worse president than Obama. The black line tiny sliver separating the two represent the 3 or 4 Democrats that understand that the Obama economic policies are basically the same as the Bush economic policies, just multiplied up a bit more.

Geezz your sphincter is wound tight. I answered a joke post with a joke post. Go drink a cream soda and relax before you blow a cerebral vessel.

I've looked and looked. Your "joke post" is in no way different from any of your other posts in this thread. That infers a few things: either your sense of humor sucks (because there is nothing funny - at all - about the first post above), or, since that first quoted post has the same tenor as everything else, everything you've written and posted in this thread is a joke.

And my sphincter is wound tight because I point out how unfunny you are? That's irony. And you think I'm going to pop a vessel? Between the mod who really really thinks I'm angry, you, who is less funny than Dane Cook and Carlos Mencia combined, and the resident **** French guy (not the Belgian (maybe Dutch) - you know who they are, right?), this forum is suffering. I see what MilMed and Jet are saying.

Our country needs a balanced budget; Mitt will get that done over 8 years.

Mormons aren't atheists and Mitt Romney is a devout Mormon by all evidence.

The USA can no longer afford to give benefits to every citizen. The poorest among us should get govt. assistance to teach them to fish if possible and stop giving them free fish on a daily basis.

You missed my point, mitt claims to be a Mormon Obama to be a Christian. I don't believe either.

Forget fish how about jobs.....? We keep hearing don't raise taxes in the job creators, well their taxes have been where they are for over a decade. Where are the jobs?

You change positions more often than a hooker in overtime.So now you're FOR tax increases?

We are not broke, that's another talking point. We have an allocation of funds problem combined with low revenue from recession and higher costs to our largest programs because the baby boomers are here.

You're kind of stupid aren't you :rolleyes:

Between the mod who really really thinks I'm angry

You certainly appeared miffed about our collective ED needling in the airway bleed thread. You wrote what, something like 1000 words in multiple posts griping about how we impugned the honor of the ED? My apologies for misjudging your level of angst. I thought you were serious.

How's Maui?

this forum is suffering. I see what MilMed and Jet are saying.

I think you've got it backwards. Jet seems to think the forum is suffering because there's NOT ENOUGH drama, and nobody "running point" to steer discussion, neither of which I agree with.

Not that I'm anti-drama, it can sure be entertaining.

You and your opinions are a becoming a waste of my time. I'm about the truth and facts. Try it sometime. Likability does not equal journalistic accuracy. Go back through the posts and address my points that you have ignored.

Truth and facts are good. I don't think many would disagree.

Wait, what happened to the truth and facts? That sounds like conjecture.

You certainly appeared miffed about our collective ED needling in the airway bleed thread. You wrote what, something like 1000 words in multiple posts griping about how we impugned the honor of the ED? My apologies for misjudging your level of angst. I thought you were serious.

How's Maui?

I'm back on O'ahu. It was nice, but rainy (across all islands).

And, for all your time on SDN, with people REALLY up in arms about others MFing their specialty (anesthesiology, radiology, general surgery, psychiatry, peds, IM - all of which have ample history of people righteously indignant about disrespect - which you won't find in the EM forum - and I challenge you to find such a thread there), you got "anger"? What did I say - several times? "Take an objective look". Did I say "you guys are full of ****, and you suck, too! We're good at what we do, and you can't hurt our feelings! And you suck, too!"? No, I didn't. And "griping about impugned honor"? A bit theatrical or dramatic there? Here's an analogy: years ago, on the History Channel, there was a guy talking about religion, and saying all of them are so different - except they will unite, and form a unified front, to say that voodoo is evil and to vilify it. It's the only thing that will tie them together. And, the comparison on SDN is to MF the ED. Whether a one liner to say it, or a fully fleshed out screed outlining every sin and failure and perceived slight, it seems no post involving a pt admitted from the ED is complete without it.

As for "1000 words", I would rather be clear and well-written. When someone does the one-liner, most are not pithy and remarkably witty, and a plurality are just not clear.

Not broke, "allocation of funds problem" :laugh: :laugh:

The Orwellian newspeakishness of that is incredible. What do you think broke is, if it's not borrowing and printing money to pay interest on debt while borrowing and printing more money to maintain spending despite insufficient revenue?

I suppose Japan, with debt:GDP of something like 250% and an impending budget deficit of 60% of their annual revenues, just has an "allocation of funds problem" ...

I'm not quite sure where to go with this.

I'm back on O'ahu. It was nice, but rainy (across all islands).

My mom lives on the big island, near Hilo. I think she picked the wrong side of the island to live on. Not only does it rain all the time, but the beaches on that side lack sand and have these endangered seals that necessitate closing the beaches every time they show up, lest they be hassled or stressed or something.

Yes, people pick on the ED. And dermatologists are acne pill doctors, and surgeons are obnoxious godcomplex prima donnas, and internists are mental masturbators who spend hours rounding and deliberating over whether a K of 3.1 warrants replacement, and we lazy anesthesiologists are lazy stool sitters who are so lazy that we sold out the specialty because we realized they could make CRNAs take all the night and weekend call.

Your angst over the :poke:'ing seemed a little excessive, that's all.

Truth and facts are good. I don't think many would disagree.

Wait, what happened to the truth and facts? That sounds like conjecture.

You have a point. I meant it as a half joke and made a point in my next post to clarify that it was my opinion and nothing else when I said, "I dont believe either."

Not broke, "allocation of funds problem" :laugh: :laugh:

The Orwellian newspeakishness of that is incredible. What do you think broke is, if it's not borrowing and printing money to pay interest on debt while borrowing and printing more money to maintain spending despite insufficient revenue?

I suppose Japan, with debt:GDP of something like 250% and an impending budget deficit of 60% of their annual revenues, just has an "allocation of funds problem" ...

I'm not quite sure where to go with this.

We have a tri-fecta as I said "allocation of funds problem"=spending too much on the wrong things. While needing to spend more on the baby boomers(~10,000 people per day are turning 65)=SS/Medicare, while revenues are down because of the recession=less tax money coming in.

Again, letting the bush tax cuts expire for the top few% along with moderate cuts to the military, and reasonable reform to SS/Medicare would get us back on track. You guys have sold me on the need and reason-ability of a gradual increase in age limits for SS.

He is way beyond just kind of stupid. Apparently his thinking is if you realize Obama is an idiot then you must be in favor of tax cuts. I'm bored with him at this point.

No it's from when you said "Why should anybody get tax cut extensions?"

Not so much a leap of logic here to say being against a tax cut mean you're for a tax increase? :confused:

about the boredom....ditto.

Again, letting the bush tax cuts expire for the top few% along with moderate cuts to the military, and reasonable reform to SS/Medicare would get us back on track. You guys have sold me on the need and reason-ability of a gradual increase in age limits for SS.

That would be an excellent start, and might conceivably balance the budget, depending on the details.

What's the plan for $15 trillion in existing debt, though?
- outgrow it with sustained strong, positive GDP growth? unlikely
- trust that interest rates will remain near zero forever, keeping debt service manageable? not possible
- abrupt, hard default? unlikely
- devalue the dollar so inflation renders $15 trillion manageable? we have a winner

The right's "plan" for the debt is the same as the left's: inflation, aka "tax the poor" ...

Meanwhile, as this passive and politically easy policy plods on in coming years, we're stuck hoping that an (unlikely) abrupt Greek/European/Japanese currency crisis won't spread to the US ... or that a (IMO likely) Greek default won't further stress Europe and the US exactly when our own economies and budgets are slow and tight.

So, to sum up the debt plan: tax the poor via inflation, hope Greece et al keep it together. (And this assumes the budget gets balanced by a sane compromise of tax increases, military and other spending cuts, and entitlement reform.) If only the timing was as predictable as the result.

Where's all this change in position like the hookers you solicit that you speak of?... *****...

Well.....since I analogized you to hookers, if I am the solicitor you should bend over huh?:D

You take the republican lines repeatedly, but then you advocate raising taxes. If you still don't get how that can be interpreted as a flip-flop we should just move it along.

That would be an excellent start, and might conceivably balance the budget, depending on the details.

What's the plan for $15 trillion in existing debt, though?
- outgrow it with sustained strong, positive GDP growth? unlikely
- trust that interest rates will remain near zero forever, keeping debt service manageable? not possible
- abrupt, hard default? unlikely
- devalue the dollar so inflation renders $15 trillion manageable? we have a winner

The right's "plan" for the debt is the same as the left's: inflation, aka "tax the poor" ...

Meanwhile, as this passive and politically easy policy plods on in coming years, we're stuck hoping that an (unlikely) abrupt Greek/European/Japanese currency crisis won't spread to the US ... or that a (IMO likely) Greek default won't further stress Europe and the US exactly when our own economies and budgets are slow and tight.

So, to sum up the debt plan: tax the poor via inflation, hope Greece et al keep it together. (And this assumes the budget gets balanced by a sane compromise of tax increases, military and other spending cuts, and entitlement reform.) If only the timing was as predictable as the result.

Solid post. You're correct.

I think that the Greece et al situation is by design. Goldman Sachs et al has a revolving door within our highest levels of government. One of the major issues I have with the GOP is their ferocious disgust with the power of the state, while simultaneously having basically zero concern with the power of banks and corporations. It is these same F'in guys that are responsible for the collapse and recession to begin with.

I notice the cynical desperate tone in your posts and I feel the same. There are a few dozen corporations that really own and run the world and you, me, and most politicians are not in the big club. We are playing the games they let us play.

I see a lot of problems for our empire and humanity as a whole on the not-so-distant horizon. I assume that from your military service combined with that all of us posting on here being involved in healthcare, that we all have/had at least some interest in reducing human suffering. I think the republicans of today have focused too much on the almighty $ and have lost sight of our inter-connectedness. I understand getting what you can, every man for himself, survival of the fittest and all that, but not at the expense of someone else who is just getting by. We focus on RE-distribution, but never the initial distribution and how THAT happened.

Then again, I am a native-American born on a reservation so I'm sure I have some bias. I mean....I thinkumm white mans comes to my land, not speakumm my language and tookumm my jobs...:)

You take the republican lines repeatedly, but then you advocate raising taxes.

Other than wanting the government to be fiscally responsible, do tell me all these Republicans lines I repeatedly state.

Last edited:
Oh I get it now; you are one of those mindless follower types that can't agree with someone on just a few issues. No, you have to have your head all the way up his azz and agree with him on every possible issue under the sun.

Other than wanting the government to be fiscally responsible, do tell me all these Republicans lines I repeatedly state.

You keep trying to box me into this Obama lovin, 100% democrat label that if you had any reading comprehension skill you would see your error. Just because you keep throwing terms like "mindless" at me doesn't make it true. If you look back my posts
#330 I said "They[unions] also are the primary funders of the democratic party which is the pro taxes and regulation party."
#361 " I am a left leaning moderate on most issues, but quite conservative on others."
#362 "There are plenty of things I disagree with Obama and the democrats about" #368 "Plenty of things you can criticize Obama about."
But yea my head is up his "azz on every possible issue"?:thumbup:

about your republican lines....
"Wow are we screwed under this slowly evolvng socialist central planned government shift in mentality. "
"Ike was our last great president. " Eisenhower.....a Republican if ya didn't know.
"Why would one think the pain-free cure of Obamanomics would work? That the way out of a borrowing and spending hole is more borrowing and spending?"
"I am utterly embarassed to think the guy[Obama] in the White House is the best this country has to offer,"

These are just from page 1 of 10 of you recent posts. Not to mention your pro Ron Paul comments, and your unwillingness to even talk about GW.But your an unbiased moderate or something right? I admit my bias and leanings repeatedly.

If I can't agree with someone on a few issues, then you did you not notice my agreement with PGG? I mean..... you quoted me from THAT post.....You are just cherry picking to keep an argument going.

BTW you have still ignored my points in posts #330 on page 7 and as predicted #368 on page 8.;)

Where's all this change in position like the hookers you solicit that you speak of?... *****...

You're probably losing people with the name calling. Doesn't represent the profession real well to lurkers either. I'm not sayin I'm above it, I'm just sayin

To move this away from personal stuff a bit, how do you all feel the Republican nominee process is going to affect Romney in the general election?

I assume at this point, we all know that Romney will be the nominee, right?

To move this away from personal stuff a bit, how do you all feel the Republican nominee process is going to affect Romney in the general election?

I don't think it'll really matter. Primaries are always ugly. Obama had some pretty nasty and negative primary scuffles too.

The Gingrich/Santorum supporters like to speculate about how horrible voter turnout from the "real" conservatives and religious right would be for Romney, but I personally believe there's plenty of frothy anti-Obama motivation for those guys to get out and vote anyway.

Again I really believe the general election will ultimately come down to the economy, with Iran drama as a distant 2nd. If nothing bad happens between now and November, I think Obama will get another term. Otherwise, Republicans will get behind Romney.

Nov is a long time from now, plenty of time for people to forget the ugliness of the primaries. Just a couple months ago, Gingrich was the presumed nominee, and a bit before that, it was Perry. Santorum will be forgotten just as quickly and completely as Perry.

If by some horrific sequence of events Santorum turns out to be the GOP nominee, nothing less than HD video from 3 angles of Obama with a dead hooker or live boy can derail his re-election. I might even donate to his campaign.

I assume at this point, we all know that Romney will be the nominee, right?

You're right...they suck me in every time.:bang:

ANYWAY...As I've said before, I don't think Romney should be underestimated. He did win as a Mormon-conservative in the very liberal Massachusetts. I think that overall, the way Romney would do the job as president wouldn't differ all that much from Obama despite the things he says now. Neither are exactly known for living up to campaign promises or for their consistency on the issues.

I think if Romney can at the very least sell the idea that he will be able to end the gridlock and get something, anything done, he may have a better chance than most dems would like to admit. And their may be some truth to it if he touts that line.

I don't think it'll really matter. Primaries are always ugly. Obama had some pretty nasty and negative primary scuffles too.

The Gingrich/Santorum supporters like to speculate about how horrible voter turnout from the "real" conservatives and religious right would be for Romney, but I personally believe there's plenty of frothy anti-Obama motivation for those guys to get out and vote anyway.

Again I really believe the general election will ultimately come down to the economy, with Iran drama as a distant 2nd. If nothing bad happens between now and November, I think Obama will get another term. Otherwise, Republicans will get behind Romney.

Nov is a long time from now, plenty of time for people to forget the ugliness of the primaries. Just a couple months ago, Gingrich was the presumed nominee, and a bit before that, it was Perry. Santorum will be forgotten just as quickly and completely as Perry.

If by some horrific sequence of events Santorum turns out to be the GOP nominee, nothing less than HD video from 3 angles of Obama with a dead hooker or live boy can derail his re-election. I might even donate to his campaign.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. I was just talking with my wife about the whole '08 Obama-Clinton match up and how lots of people said they wouldn't vote for Obama if he won the nomination. Turns out, they did. Same thing will happen here, I suspect. If you're voting for Santorum/Gingrich, you're conservative enough to desperately not want Obama to have a second term.