It's not burnout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbhfl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 18 users
Magnificent.

I've always thought this ZDoggMD character was trying just a little too hard to be hip and cool (seriously ... 99% of people who refer to themselves as Dog or Dawg or Dogg are just straight up tools), but he's absolutely 100% correct here.

Reactions: 1 users
Magnificent.

I've always thought this ZDoggMD character was trying just a little too hard to be hip and cool (seriously ... 99% of people who refer to themselves as Dog or Dawg or Dogg are just straight up tools), but he's absolutely 100% correct here.

I think it comes from his name (Zubin Damania). Still sounds a little douchey, but at least it’s plausible that people just called him that.

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree with the video. even in fields like EM there is significant burnout despite low hours worked. it's more than just hours worked though it plays a factor.

also its good that there are doctors out there who take their time to fight for our fields. we need more vocal people like him

i agree with the video. even in fields like EM there is significant burnout despite low hours worked. it's more than just hours worked though it plays a factor.

also its good that there are doctors out there who take their time to fight for our fields. we need more vocal people like him

I smiled when he said, tell them to go f$&k themselves. How I wish I can do just that!

EM traditionally is amongst the highest 1 or 2 “burnout” specialties.

EM traditionally is amongst the highest 1 or 2 “burnout” specialties.

is this from that study? cause based on surveys, it changes every year, EM is usually in the top 7 though . according to Medscape, urology, neurology, and PMR are the top 3 this year. im surprised PMR is that high

Magnificent.

I think he uses the moniker "ZDoggMD" because when he originally entered the spotlight, he was making popular medicine-related rap and R&B parody music videos.

Reactions: 1 user
is this from that study? cause based on surveys, it changes every year, EM is usually in the top 7 though . according to Medscape, urology, neurology, and PMR are the top 3 this year. im surprised PMR is that high
I surprised urology is that high although extracting stones every night could get old quick and I’ve heard the clinic is dreadful

Kind of dismissive of people that actually are going through the burnout that people mean when they say "burnout". The over extended, high intensity situation that has more to do with that than not being able to practice medicine the way you want to. Don't think all of it can be reduced to moral outrage or whatever... And the only people that affect meaningful change that drop f bombs frequently are also holding guns so the rest of us probably will just need to avoid the emotional theatrics and focus on the problems at hand moving forward.

btw our emr has only made patient care where I am more efficient and frankly, easier. It's scary and sad he knows so many people that have committed suicide, but if its over an emr, it isn't the emr.

Kind of dismissive of people that actually are going through the burnout that people mean when they say "burnout". The over extended, high intensity situation that has more to do with that than not being able to practice medicine the way you want to. Don't think all of it can be reduced to moral outrage or whatever... And the only people that affect meaningful change that drop f bombs frequently are also holding guns so the rest of us probably will just need to avoid the emotional theatrics and focus on the problems at hand moving forward.

btw our emr has only made patient care where I am more efficient and frankly, easier. It's scary and sad he knows so many people that have committed suicide, but if its over an emr, it isn't the emr.

Most of the anesthesiologists unhappy in their practice have reasons related to exactly what he mentions in the video. Supervising 3:1 and 4:1 sucks but that's what required of many of us nowadays in the name of throughput, efficiency, and higher billables / hr. All of us (except for the 4:1 PP mercenaries in good payer mix areas who are killing it $$$-wise) know that the gold standard of patient care is a board-certified anesthesiologist sitting the stool. Ignoring the feasibility or logistics of all MD anesthesiology in this country, patients, at the end of the day, are not getting the best care possible, and administrators don't give a sht about quality as long as the cases percolate on through quickly, everyone wakes up, and no one dies. I think "burnout" for the average anesthesiologist is likely inseparable from at least some degree of moral outrage.

Reactions: 4 users
Magnificent.

You know... sometimes I actually agree with you!

Members don't see this ad :)

Would love to know what you guys are using. Thanks

I surprised urology is that high although extracting stones every night could get old quick and I’ve heard the clinic is dreadful

Ya, I’ve heard urology clinic is full of dicks.

Reactions: 15 users
CB4F84BB-05E2-45F1-8DF7-49B5C96605E9.gif
Ya, I’ve heard urology clinic is full of dicks.

Most of the anesthesiologists unhappy in their practice have reasons related to exactly what he mentions in the video. Supervising 3:1 and 4:1 sucks but that's what required of many of us nowadays in the name of throughput, efficiency, and higher billables / hr. All of us (except for the 4:1 PP mercenaries in good payer mix areas who are killing it $$$-wise) know that the gold standard of patient care is a board-certified anesthesiologist sitting the stool. Ignoring the feasibility or logistics of all MD anesthesiology in this country, patients, at the end of the day, are not getting the best care possible, and administrators don't give a sht about quality as long as the cases percolate on through quickly, everyone wakes up, and no one dies. I think "burnout" for the average anesthesiologist is likely inseparable from at least some degree of moral outrage.
Also taking ridiculous amounts of call....that will make you hate work QUICK

A little too emotional. I do like when he calls EMR a glorified cash register.

If you have any compassion for sick people and you feel that the system sometimes or even frequently gets in the way of you doing what you think you should do then this will resonate with you at least a little

Reactions: 3 users
I feel I spend more time filling out paperwork than taking care\talking to patients most of the day. Hard to keep a human touch when you spend more time in front of a computer or have to get documenting done in a timely manner. What's the answer? I don't know...

I feel I spend more time filling out paperwork than taking care\talking to patients most of the day. Hard to keep a human touch when you spend more time in front of a computer or have to get documenting done in a timely manner. What's the answer? I don't know...
I feel like tort reform might be the answer. Take away the litigious nature of the field and all of a sudden there'd be less need for covering our asse... erm, charting.

Don't mind me, I just got lost on the way to the bathroom.

Really? Anesthesia seems to be the field in which you write the least. In my practice I frequently work with CRNA’s and the only writing I do all day is my signature and maybe the occasional check box preop

Really? Anesthesia seems to be the field in which you write the least. In my practice I frequently work with CRNA’s and the only writing I do all day is my signature and maybe the occasional check box preop

I stool sit, pre-op\intraop paper charting, post procedure logs, billing sheets... For long cases NBD but for quick cases pita

We don’t all work with nurses. Some of us hate that crap. The running around like a headless chicken being a paper monkey.

Whatever the case, yeah short cases documented on the computer do suck.

some of the computer systems suck real bad in emergencies as well. no time to be clicking when pushing multiple drugs etc. some times also have to match nursing times and stuff.
i remember that was an issue with the Joan rivers case, some of the times recorded by anesthesiologist was a couple minutes off from what the nurse wrote in their documentation..

i think all this crap from the litigious nature of our country. so many useless notes especially nursing notes, diluting the actual important information in the chart. everyones trying to cover their butt. its sad. its changed the way people practice and teach

Reactions: 2 users
some of the computer systems suck real bad in emergencies as well. no time to be clicking when pushing multiple drugs etc. some times also have to match nursing times and stuff.
i remember that was an issue with the Joan rivers case, some of the times recorded by anesthesiologist was a couple minutes off from what the nurse wrote in their documentation..

i think all this crap from the litigious nature of our country. so many useless notes especially nursing notes, diluting the actual important information in the chart. everyones trying to cover their butt. its sad. its changed the way people practice and teach

That’s why I wanted to know which EMR was good and facilitated patient face time?
Recently, cancelled an add-on after the nurse took another half hour to charter after the pervious case. Surgeon did not want to wait any longer. Good for me, not for the guy next day.....

Would love to know what you guys are using. Thanks

Epic...but, you have to put the time in to customize it to suit your personal preferences and practice. For our practice, one of the best things about it is the ease in finding histories, discharge summaries, old caths and echo's, pft's etc. There's stuff in the nooks and crannies of an EMR that would be impossible to find with a "hard" chart or just unavailable. If all you do is mostly healthy people, then maybe not so much, but when the occasional ASA 3 is a rare treat, like where I am, having a well customized account is gold and makes the actual pre-anesthetic visit far more efficient and meaningful. Then its just a matter of checking boxes and you're done. Way easier and faster than it used to be.