• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

ivy league LOW gpa high mcat...top schools?

Hi all,

So I'm freaking out! I'm a Bio major at an ivy league school (HYP) with a low gpa

cGPA: 3.52
sGPA: 3.46
MCAT: 37Q

I have a somewhat upward trend in my gpa: Freshman 3.3, Soph 3.25, Junior (1st semester) 3.83

I'm applying after my Junior year; ECs are as follows:

2 summers of research (1 poster presentation)
leadership positions in 2 ECs (1 pre-med related)
70+ hours hospital volunteer
50+ hours shadowing (4 different specialties and a General Physician)
Physics tutor (2 semesters)
clinical volunteering in a developing country for a summer

Schools (this list is NOT exhaustive):
JHU
Columbia
Harvard
Georgetown
Emory
NYU
UMaryland
UVA
Howard
Morehouse

My question is: what can I do (if anything) in this last semester to salvage my application? My parents have been on my back about getting into what they consider a "top" medical school (an ivy or jhu), even though I keep telling them my chances are slim because of my gpa (and then they whine about me partying to much; you know how parents are). Also, my parents won’t let me take a year off before applying.

Should I save my time (and money!) and give up on applying to Top medical schools with such a low sgpa or will the fact that I go to an ivy help? I'm also a black male from Maryland, but I've heard that “urm status” doesn’t really help at top schools if gpa <3.5

Any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated!

**Note: I’m mainly asking about Top 20 schools; but I’ll definitely be applying to a wide range of schools come June 1st.

thestrokes14

7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2009
  1. Pre-Medical
    I'd apply to Mt. Sinai, UPitt and UMichigan (top schools that like high MCAT scores). Overall, you are a solid applicant, but I'd like to see more out of your research and community service to really give you a good shot at a top school. Just make sure you apply early. Like, submit your AMCAS ASAP after June 1st.

Hi all,

So I'm freaking out! I'm a Bio major at an ivy league school (HYP) with a low gpa

I have a somewhat upward trend in my gpa: Freshman 3.3, Soph 3.25, Junior (1st semester) 3.83

JHU
    Columbia
    Harvard
    Georgetown
    Emory
    NYU
    UMaryland
    UVA
    Howard
    Morehouse

My question is: what can I do (if anything) in this last semester to salvage my application? My parents have been on my back about getting into what they consider a "top" medical school (an ivy or jhu), even though I keep telling them my chances are slim because of my gpa (and then they whine about me partying to much; you know how parents are). Also, my parents won't let me take a year off before applying.

Should I save my time (and money!) and give up on applying to Top medical schools with such a low sgpa or will the fact that I go to an ivy help? I'm also a black male from Maryland, but I've heard that "urm status" doesn't really help at top schools if gpa <3.5

**Note: I'm mainly asking about Top 20 schools; but I'll definitely be applying to a wide range of schools come June 1st.

About the Ads

Goro

Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere west of St. Louis
    1. Non-Student
      Quit fussing; you're fine.

Hi all,

JHU
      Columbia
      Harvard
      Georgetown
      Emory
      NYU
      UMaryland
      UVA
      Howard
      Morehouse

My question is: what can I do (if anything) in this last semester to salvage my application? My parents have been on my back about getting into what they consider a "top" medical school (an ivy or jhu), even though I keep telling them my chances are slim because of my gpa (and then they whine about me partying to much; you know how parents are). Also, my parents won’t let me take a year off before applying.

Should I save my time (and money!) and give up on applying to Top medical schools with such a low sgpa or will the fact that I go to an ivy help? I'm also a black male from Maryland, but I've heard that “urm status” doesn’t really help at top schools if gpa <3.5

**Note: I’m mainly asking about Top 20 schools; but I’ll definitely be applying to a wide range of schools come June 1st.

nadaba

5+ Year Member
      May 25, 2010
      1. Medical Student

I think you should continue with the clinical volunteering. It's a relatively easy thing to do before you apply.

If your parents are concerned with ivy schools, you can always make peace by adding Dartmouth and/or Brown. Just make sure they never get a peek at the US News rankings :smuggrin:

Oct 25, 2009
        1. Pre-Medical
          What other user said: throw in "top" medical schools that are non-Ivy but still take in students with high MCAT score.

And your parents don't really know what they are talking about because there are many medical schools that are considered "top" (depends on how you come to that category...look at research ranking for example) but are not "Ivy or JHU."

For one thing, you mentioned nothing about schools in "UC"s. They are arguably as hard, if not harder for some applicants, to be accepted when compared to your parents' ideals.

About the Ads

DeterminedDoc

Removed
          Nov 29, 2011
            Your freaking out? Are you serious? Your a URM at HYP with a decent GPA. Your f****** fine. God I HATE these premeds that freak out for no apparent reason. You aren't entitled to any sort of stress whatsoever regarding the admissions process when there are people who have FAILED I repeat FAILED classes. Go bury your head in the sand like an ostrich. Thats the best advice you'll get.

varsityblue

Lifetime Donor
            Dec 15, 2011
            1. Medical Student
              Your freaking out? Are you serious? Your a URM at HYP with a decent GPA. Your f****** fine. God I HATE these premeds that freak out for no apparent reason. You aren't entitled to any sort of stress whatsoever regarding the admissions process when there are people who have FAILED I repeat FAILED classes. Go bury your head in the sand like an ostrich. Thats the best advice you'll get.

Every premed is entitled to stress in the medical school application process. I find it offensive that you're criticizing OP for worrying about his/her stats and chances.

Poisson

5+ Year Member
              Feb 6, 2012
              1. Pre-Medical
                Hi all,

JHU
                Columbia
                Harvard
                Georgetown
                Emory
                NYU
                UMaryland
                UVA
                Howard
                Morehouse

You will for sure get into a top school. When people say stuff like you will be lucky to go there, or apply broadly, it just means they are jelous. I mean its not a guruntee that you will get in to Ivy right away, but chances are if you went to Ivy undergrad, you are in the loop. I'm trying to bank on connections myself right now, one at my current instituion, I've gotten to know almost every doctor here, and I know several sit on the admissions, and also another school my grandpa is professor emeritus. Right now I'd be lucky to get into osteopathic but I think there is more important things then grades. GPA~3.0, MS GPA 4.0.

BurntFlower

10+ Year Member
                7+ Year Member
                Mar 31, 2009
                1. Medical Student

Ostriches don't really do that...

Medical school application is a pretty nerve-racking process. Especially since most people in SDN seem to have a 3.7 GPA or higher and outstanding extracurriculars. I have a similar GPA and I'm also freaking out.

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
                  10+ Year Member
                  Jul 14, 2007
                    Wtf that isn't even that low of a GPA. OP is being paranoid, and frankly plain stupid for someone claiming to go to HYP.

...it's lower than the national average for applicants, and definitely below the average for accepted students. The average for most top medical school programs is around 3.8--it's even further below that. Couple that with decent ECs and a only slightly above average MCAT, and what do you expect? You're being pretty unrealistic if you think this isn't cause for concern.

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.