ivy league LOW gpa high mcat...top schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi all,

So I'm freaking out! I'm a Bio major at an ivy league school (HYP) with a low gpa

cGPA: 3.52
sGPA: 3.46
MCAT: 37Q

I have a somewhat upward trend in my gpa: Freshman 3.3, Soph 3.25, Junior (1st semester) 3.83

I'm applying after my Junior year; ECs are as follows:

2 summers of research (1 poster presentation)
leadership positions in 2 ECs (1 pre-med related)
70+ hours hospital volunteer
50+ hours shadowing (4 different specialties and a General Physician)
Physics tutor (2 semesters)
clinical volunteering in a developing country for a summer

Schools (this list is NOT exhaustive):
JHU
Columbia
Harvard
Georgetown
Emory
NYU
UMaryland
UVA
Howard
Morehouse

My question is: what can I do (if anything) in this last semester to salvage my application? My parents have been on my back about getting into what they consider a "top" medical school (an ivy or jhu), even though I keep telling them my chances are slim because of my gpa (and then they whine about me partying to much; you know how parents are). Also, my parents won’t let me take a year off before applying.

Should I save my time (and money!) and give up on applying to Top medical schools with such a low sgpa or will the fact that I go to an ivy help? I'm also a black male from Maryland, but I've heard that “urm status” doesn’t really help at top schools if gpa <3.5

Any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated!

**Note: I’m mainly asking about Top 20 schools; but I’ll definitely be applying to a wide range of schools come June 1st.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd apply to Mt. Sinai, UPitt and UMichigan (top schools that like high MCAT scores). Overall, you are a solid applicant, but I'd like to see more out of your research and community service to really give you a good shot at a top school. Just make sure you apply early. Like, submit your AMCAS ASAP after June 1st.

Hi all,

So I'm freaking out! I'm a Bio major at an ivy league school (HYP) with a low gpa

I have a somewhat upward trend in my gpa: Freshman 3.3, Soph 3.25, Junior (1st semester) 3.83

JHU
Columbia
Harvard
Georgetown
Emory
NYU
UMaryland
UVA
Howard
Morehouse

My question is: what can I do (if anything) in this last semester to salvage my application? My parents have been on my back about getting into what they consider a "top" medical school (an ivy or jhu), even though I keep telling them my chances are slim because of my gpa (and then they whine about me partying to much; you know how parents are). Also, my parents won't let me take a year off before applying.

Should I save my time (and money!) and give up on applying to Top medical schools with such a low sgpa or will the fact that I go to an ivy help? I'm also a black male from Maryland, but I've heard that "urm status" doesn't really help at top schools if gpa <3.5

**Note: I'm mainly asking about Top 20 schools; but I'll definitely be applying to a wide range of schools come June 1st.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quit fussing; you're fine.

Hi all,

JHU
Columbia
Harvard
Georgetown
Emory
NYU
UMaryland
UVA
Howard
Morehouse

My question is: what can I do (if anything) in this last semester to salvage my application? My parents have been on my back about getting into what they consider a "top" medical school (an ivy or jhu), even though I keep telling them my chances are slim because of my gpa (and then they whine about me partying to much; you know how parents are). Also, my parents won’t let me take a year off before applying.

Should I save my time (and money!) and give up on applying to Top medical schools with such a low sgpa or will the fact that I go to an ivy help? I'm also a black male from Maryland, but I've heard that “urm status” doesn’t really help at top schools if gpa <3.5

**Note: I’m mainly asking about Top 20 schools; but I’ll definitely be applying to a wide range of schools come June 1st.

I think you should continue with the clinical volunteering. It's a relatively easy thing to do before you apply.

If your parents are concerned with ivy schools, you can always make peace by adding Dartmouth and/or Brown. Just make sure they never get a peek at the US News rankings :smuggrin:

I feel you will at least get in Morehouse if you do not mind Atlanta.

having a 37 mcat makes you competitive, and your GPA is really not that bad, plus the strong upward trend i think you'll be fine

What other user said: throw in "top" medical schools that are non-Ivy but still take in students with high MCAT score.

And your parents don't really know what they are talking about because there are many medical schools that are considered "top" (depends on how you come to that category...look at research ranking for example) but are not "Ivy or JHU."

For one thing, you mentioned nothing about schools in "UC"s. They are arguably as hard, if not harder for some applicants, to be accepted when compared to your parents' ideals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your freaking out? Are you serious? Your a URM at HYP with a decent GPA. Your f****** fine. God I HATE these premeds that freak out for no apparent reason. You aren't entitled to any sort of stress whatsoever regarding the admissions process when there are people who have FAILED I repeat FAILED classes. Go bury your head in the sand like an ostrich. Thats the best advice you'll get.

Unless you're at Princeton, you're not going to get anything beyond a 0.2 GPA bump. I recommend you apply to a broader range of schools based on your LizzyM score. That said, you will likely be admitted to a Top 30.

Your freaking out? Are you serious? Your a URM at HYP with a decent GPA. Your f****** fine. God I HATE these premeds that freak out for no apparent reason. You aren't entitled to any sort of stress whatsoever regarding the admissions process when there are people who have FAILED I repeat FAILED classes. Go bury your head in the sand like an ostrich. Thats the best advice you'll get.

Every premed is entitled to stress in the medical school application process. I find it offensive that you're criticizing OP for worrying about his/her stats and chances.

Hi all,

JHU
Columbia
Harvard
Georgetown
Emory
NYU
UMaryland
UVA
Howard
Morehouse

You will for sure get into a top school. When people say stuff like you will be lucky to go there, or apply broadly, it just means they are jelous. I mean its not a guruntee that you will get in to Ivy right away, but chances are if you went to Ivy undergrad, you are in the loop. I'm trying to bank on connections myself right now, one at my current instituion, I've gotten to know almost every doctor here, and I know several sit on the admissions, and also another school my grandpa is professor emeritus. Right now I'd be lucky to get into osteopathic but I think there is more important things then grades. GPA~3.0, MS GPA 4.0.

Hi all,

Wtf that isn't even that low of a GPA. OP is being paranoid, and frankly plain stupid for someone claiming to go to HYP.

Ostriches don't really do that...

Medical school application is a pretty nerve-racking process. Especially since most people in SDN seem to have a 3.7 GPA or higher and outstanding extracurriculars. I have a similar GPA and I'm also freaking out.

Wtf that isn't even that low of a GPA. OP is being paranoid, and frankly plain stupid for someone claiming to go to HYP.

...it's lower than the national average for applicants, and definitely below the average for accepted students. The average for most top medical school programs is around 3.8--it's even further below that. Couple that with decent ECs and a only slightly above average MCAT, and what do you expect? You're being pretty unrealistic if you think this isn't cause for concern.