Jan 2010 PCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TnTpharmD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Looked for an official score thread for Jan 2010 and could not find one. So my excitement made me make one.

Got my scores in the mail today.
This was my first time taking the PCAT.

Verbal 97
Biology 96
Reading Comprehension 60
Quant Ability 16
Chemistry 68
Composite 82

Conventions of Language 3.0
Problem Solving 3.0

I have a Bachelors in Chemistry (2009)

I knew after the exam I did badly in the Math section. After the 1st half of the PCAT, I was drained mentally and did not walk with anything to eat or drink for the break. Hopefully in the schools I'm applying to it won't hurt me. I was worried that my handwriting was illegible near the end of the essays as I rushed to finish.

My thoughts after the exam.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9158061#post9158061
I thought I did pretty well in the Reading Comprehension. Guess not.

Dr. Collin's material definetly helped with the Bio and Verbal. I should have focused more on the math and Chemistry practice questions. Time managenment is important as well as being exposed to PCAT styled questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am in a state of complete and utter shock right now.

Verbal: 437/92
Biology: 446/96
Reading: 427/84
Quantitative: 499/99
Chemistry: 472/99
Composite: 456/99

Writing: 3.0/2.5

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad that I purchased my scores now. I think that I scared my dogs with the girly man shrieks that I let loose when my score report came up. I'll post feedback about my test preparations after I get back from the gym. Good luck with your scores everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad that I purchased my scores now. I think that I scared my dogs with the girly man shrieks that I let loose when my score report came up. I'll post feedback about my test preparations after I get back from the gym. Good luck with your scores everyone!

Congrats!

Yeah I'm very glad that I bought the report too. I just couldn't take it anymore:

Verbal Ability - 77
Biology - 94
Reading Comprehension - 84
Quantitative Ability - 97
Chemistry - 95
Composite - 96

Conventions of Language - 3.0
Problem Solving - 3.0

I also caved and bought the scores online. Couldn't type my credit card number fast enough! I am so happy I did, too.

Verbal: 92
Biology: 87
Reading Comp: 89
Quantitative Ability: 55
Chemistry: 77
Composite: 87

Conventions of Language: 3.0
Problem Solving: 3.0

Totally impressed by my Chem considering that I barely scraped by Orgo II with a 51% on the final. Pretty proud of my bio too because I am a bio major but there was a lot of stuff that I completely forgot about on the test.

Anyway, what is your opinion on my quantitative score? I completely underestimated the time it would take. Do I still have a chance of getting accepted since I've got a pretty good composite, decent GPA, loads of pharmacy technician experience, and two references from pharmacists?

Last edited:
Verbal- 427/86
Biology- 414/71
R.C.- 447/96
Quant- 408/55
Chem- 412/64
Essay- 2.5/2.5

Comp - 422/83 :)

Honestly I was expecting a score in the 50's or low 60's. I had some terrible time management on Chem had to guess on about 9 so the low chem was expected. Haven't had a math class in several years, so again the score was expected.

Overall extremely pleased- :laugh:

Chemistry 426 81
Quantitative Ability 393 29
Reading Comprehension 439 93
Biology 446 96
Verbal Ability 461 99
composite 433 93:love:

bad math, but thats what happens when you run out of time!

I paid for my scores today... Wish I wouldn't have done that :(

I have been out of college for two years and teach Biology. I ran out of time on the math and chem sections so they were low. My composite was only a 59%

Do people even get interviews with scores like that?:confused:

ordered my pcat scores online today :D

verbal 63
biology 84
reading comp 66
quant 98
chemistry 91

composite 90 :oops:

could've done better... but i guess i did pretty well for being in first year university :rolleyes:

VA - 97
Bio - 94
RC - 60
QA - 65
Chem - 93
Composite - 92

Three 90s and 2 60s, still a 92 composite, works for me!

Oh yea, writing 3/3. What's the max score for writing? I always see 2-3's

Last edited:
How is the composite calculated? It's obviously not an average, since some people had less total points than me, but a higher composite.

I just got my scores online and I am so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
It was my 3rd time taking the pcat and I used Dr. Collins Study Guide.

Chemistry 449 95
Quantitative Ability 438 91
Reading Comprehension 375 12
Biology 429 87
Verbal Ability 432 89
Composite 425 86

Members don't see this ad :)
Verbal 77
Biology 99
Reading 73
Math 95
Chemistry 88
Composite 95

soo i guess these are good i hope....

I dunno....95 composite....you might want to consider retaking.:rolleyes:

Seriously though, nice job!:thumbup:

I'm afraid my score may have been invalidated. My composite score in August '09 was pretty mediocre, but I still think it's impossible for it to have gone up 50+. See the screenshot. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• score.jpeg
    score.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 696
Last edited:
I am afraid that might be the case according to the text listed below the scores. I would check out the candidate information booklet on Pearson's website to see what your options are from here. I believe there is an appeals process if your scores are invalidated. Good luck.

I'm afraid my score may have been invalidated. My composite score in August '09 was pretty mediocre, but I still think it's impossible for it to have gone up 50+. See the screenshot. What do you guys think?

PCPRODUCT do not worry contact pearson through their email along with your pcat id. If you believe you were sincere, then you will get your scores. No body can turn against you. NOt even Pearson. good luck.

PCPRODUCT do not worry contact pearson through their email along with your pcat id. If you believe you were sincere, then you will get your scores. No body can turn against you. NOt even Pearson. good luck.

Depending on the circumstance that triggered the invalidation, they have stated in their information booklet that they will not release the score. However, in most circumstances, there seems to be an opportunity to appeal the score invalidation. PCPRODUCT, according to the booklet, they should let you know the reason for your invalidation. After you have that information, then you can proceed from there. The link for the booklet is below. Good luck.

http://www.pearsonassessments.com/hai/Images/dotCom/pcatweb.info/PCAT_CIB.pdf

Hey does anyone know if Adcom's look at the highest scores from different tests? (i.e Oct 09 and Jan 2010)?

Lol I fail at pacing myself in quant. Didnt get to fill out like ten to fifteen problems cuz I ran outta time but I guess I can't complain...

VA: 432/92
Bio: 434/90
RC: 469/99
Quant: 396/34(rofl)
Chem: 422/77
Writing: 3 & 3

Composite: 432/92

up from 67 comp in Oct.

Depending on the circumstance that triggered the invalidation, they have stated in their information booklet that they will not release the score. However, in most circumstances, there seems to be an opportunity to appeal the score invalidation. PCPRODUCT, according to the booklet, they should let you know the reason for your invalidation. After you have that information, then you can proceed from there. The link for the booklet is below. Good luck.

http://www.pearsonassessments.com/hai/Images/dotCom/pcatweb.info/PCAT_CIB.pdf
I downloaded and took a look at that a few hours ago. But it just now hit me that the 50+ rule applies to the scaled score, not the percentile rank. So it's definitely possible that that's the reason why my score was canceled. I really hope that's the case because it would mean I made 90+ Composite :xf:.

BTW I can't see any indication or specific reason for the score invalidation. I sent an email to [email protected] and hope to hear back soon.

LOL. Very nice!!!:thumbup:

I got a 3 on writing...kinda surprised since I thought I wrote pretty killer essays. Is it really hard to get above a 3?

Last edited:
Did anyone got score in Maryland? Somehow pharmcas posted my two privious scores which I really don't want to show anybody. I asked PCAT to send a pending test last Tuesday. I don't understand why they leave out my Jan score. I have good confidence this time that I did good on the Jan test. If PCAT invalidated my score I'm going... This sucks...

Congrats to all!

October 2009 PCAT: 95% composite
Verbal: 80%
RC: 85%
Quant: 91%
Bio: 98%
Chem: 91%

January 2010 PCAT: 99% composite
Verbal: 97%
RC: 98%
Quant: 99%
Bio: 99%
Chem: 99%

Woo!! Went up 4 % points with 0 studying required in between October to January exam!!!

Last edited:
that is a top score mrm. you must've bought your scores online. i hope mine comes in the mailbox today

Congrats to all!

Woo!! Went up 4 % points with 0 studying required in between October to January exam!!!

wow you retook after a 95%?!!?? I would've done something more fun with the $150 =P, but congrats!!

MrMeowphers :eek: Damn man how you got that score? Is killer...if you don't mind sharing your study tips? for how long did you study for it? Getting a score that high two times is not a coincidence... It would be nice if I get that score as well... help us!!! :D

MrMeowphers :eek: Damn man how you got that score? Is killer...if you don't mind sharing your study tips? for how long did you study for it? Getting a score that high two times is not a coincidence... It would be nice if I get that score as well... help us!!! :D

My best friend and I have had competitions in almost everything.

18 hole golf, basketball, video games, putt-putt, bowling, darts, drinking, fishing, etc...

I retook it because we also have competitions in exams too.

He won on the SAT and MCAT.
I won on the GRE.

To make the competition fair, we took the PCAT on the same day so there wouldn't be any discrepancies on the exam.

Yea I know there will be plenty of people who say we're lame or whatever, but we have fun making random things into competition whether it be sports or education.

Study habits: Since I havnt seen an intro-bio/chem/statistics/calculus question for 8 years now, I basically read the Kaplan 2010 PCAT book twice (it covers Bio and Chem in detail but lacks on the calculus and organic chemistry), I reviewed the calculus sections using online math sites (e.g. chain rule, etc...), and dusted off an old MCAT book for the organic chem help. I didn't study for verbal or RC because there really isnt any solid way to prepare for this in a short time period (good reading comprehension skills are developed over-time). Studied for 3 weeks prior to my Oct. 2009 exam, but didn't study anything else for the Jan Exam.

I suggest everyone find their best method for studying. There are many posts on this great site where people provide their study opinions (some use these crash courses, some use GRE verbal books, some don't study at all). I prefer reading things twice, I'll remember it better that way. I feel taking the exam twice helped because then you better understand the stress/format/timing better. Sure you can always time yourself at home, but remember that this is in the comfort of your home (nice temperature that you control, you control the lighting and noise around you, etc...). I didn't include the "time" and "energy" required for the 2 essays when I first took the exam and was pretty exhausted by the time the last few sections rolled around.

Good luck to you all though! I wish everyone the best.

Last edited:
Guys I am so excited after getting my scores today. I have taken 2 pcats (24 & 26 percentile) prior to these. I did not prepare well for those tests. This time I used Collins study guide and prayed a lot. I studied during the christmas holidays. Now I jumped from 26% to 73%. I am happy with my scores. These are my scores
Verbal 73
Biology 84
Reading 12 (English is my second language)
Quantitative ablilty 82
Chemistry 88
Composite 73 :).
Writing scores
conventions of language score: 3.0 mean: 2.68
Problem solving score: 3.0 mean: 2.70
Good luck to everybody.

Thats a gr8 score..
CONGRATS!!!:)

Congrats to all!

I donno about that 97% in verbal, you might want to retake that :p :laugh:
how were your essays?

My best friend and I have had competitions in almost everything.

18 hole golf, basketball, video games, putt-putt, bowling, darts, drinking, fishing, etc...

I retook it because we also have competitions in exams too.

He won on the SAT and MCAT.
I won on the GRE.

To make the competition fair, we took the PCAT on the same day so there wouldn't be any discrepancies on the exam.

Yea I know there will be plenty of people who say we're lame or whatever, but we have fun making random things into competition whether it be sports or education.

Study habits: Since I havnt seen an intro-bio/chem/statistics/calculus question for 8 years now, I basically read the Kaplan 2010 PCAT book twice (it covers Bio and Chem in detail but lacks on the calculus and organic chemistry), I reviewed the calculus sections using online math sites (e.g. chain rule, etc...), and dusted off an old MCAT book for the organic chem help. I didn't study for verbal or RC because there really isnt any solid way to prepare for this in a short time period (good reading comprehension skills are developed over-time). Studied for 3 weeks prior to my Oct. 2009 exam, but didn't study anything else for the Jan Exam.

I suggest everyone find their best method for studying. There are many posts on this great site where people provide their study opinions (some use these crash courses, some use GRE verbal books, some don't study at all). I prefer reading things twice, I'll remember it better that way. I feel taking the exam twice helped because then you better understand the stress/format/timing better. Sure you can always time yourself at home, but remember that this is in the comfort of your home (nice temperature that you control, you control the lighting and noise around you, etc...). I didn't include the "time" and "energy" required for the 2 essays when I first took the exam and was pretty exhausted by the time the last few sections rolled around.

Good luck to you all though! I wish everyone the best.

Wow, amazing scores!! But, wait, are you ALREADY a pharmacy student?(that's what your status is) and if you are.. lol... then you just took it to beat your friend?? (That's so epic)

I FINALLY received mine today (Atlanta). It seemed that everyone else received theirs on Saturday and the mailman was just playing a mean trick on me. I was pleasantly surprised with the 25 pt. composite jump.

NOOOOOOO! Oh my gosh! I don't believe this! :(

This was my third time taking the PCAT. I got a 26 the first time, and a 56 the second time. I didn't study the first two times. So when I went to take the January one, I put all my classes on the back burner to study. I especially spent a lot of time doing reading and biology practice. For the Biology, I studied packets from Dr. Collins. I felt so confident about both the reading and biology sections. I finished both with plenty of time to spare. I thought I would get in the 90th percentile in Biology but I scored even lower than the second time! I went from a 61 to a 60 in Biology.
This was the third time I took it and I got a 58 Composite :scared:

I submitted my application material already and it looks like my chances of getting in are ruined. And now my grades for this semester are ruined too. AAHHHH! I still can't believe all that studying didn't pay off.

All of you guys who got higher than a 70 Composite should be really happy because I have no idea how to do it. :confused:

wow that's pretty funny. My friends and I make bets on bio exams (e.g. lowest score needs to buy drinks), so I kind of understand. Are you pre-med or pre-pharm? I took the MCAT too and I LOVED the PCAT in comparison to the MCAT..

Same as us! The lowest score buys the first round.

I actually am not pre-anything. I took the MCAT because 6 years ago I was going for my MD/PhD and decided I didn't really like the MD stuff and just finished up the PhD work. As I recall, the PCAT is much more enjoyable than the MCAT.

I donno about that 97% in verbal, you might want to retake that :p :laugh: how were your essays?

4.0/3.5 for the essays the second time around, first time was 3.0/3.0

Wow, amazing scores!! But, wait, are you ALREADY a pharmacy student?(that's what your status is) and if you are.. lol... then you just took it to beat your friend?? (That's so epic)

I've been accepted to the school I wanted (so technically I'm not a Pharm student yet). The Jan. PCAT wouldn't have been able to be used for any of the applications though, so I took it to just have our final competition with my friend (he was taking it for real though). Because after this, we'll be in different schools/programs/years.

He was my buddy/rival since elementary school. He pwned me on the SAT's and MCAT (his 39 score > my 37 score), which in retrospect counts more then my 99% to his 97% composite.

I'll just say that I got a 29% jump.

Hopefully a composite of 60 is good enough this time.....

So if you know math, you would know what my other composite was at the time :p

Hey we didn't have time allotted after every section.. We had just 5 secs for the next section other than the 10-min break. Was it different at your test center? Thanks

Lol I fail at pacing myself in quant. Didnt get to fill out like ten to fifteen problems cuz I ran outta time but I guess I can't complain...

VA: 432/92
Bio: 434/90
RC: 469/99
Quant: 396/34(rofl)
Chem: 422/77
Writing: 3 & 3

Composite: 432/92

up from 67 comp in Oct.

Wow! Congratulations! I took mine in Jan too but won't be getting my score until I go back home this weekend. By the way, how did you prepare for this one differently, considering that your score has increased significantly. Thanks

after reading this thread i ran to the mailbox lol. i got my scores (i live in Miami, fl). i am happy, i went from a 58 composite to a 79! :D
still did bad on reading comp (37) but oh well. hopefully schools will look at my high chem/bio scores before that.

Hey how are your scores for the other sections?
I am a chemistry major but English is my second language. I will be finding out my score this weekend. I am just curious how the low score in reading comp will affect my composite grade. How was your verbal score? Thanks for your time

Guys I am so excited after getting my scores today. I have taken 2 pcats (24 & 26 percentile) prior to these. I did not prepare well for those tests. This time I used Collins study guide and prayed a lot. I studied during the christmas holidays. Now I jumped from 26% to 73%. I am happy with my scores. These are my scores
Verbal 73
Biology 84
Reading 12 (English is my second language)
Quantitative ablilty 82
Chemistry 88
Composite 73 :).
Writing scores
conventions of language score: 3.0 mean: 2.68
Problem solving score: 3.0 mean: 2.70
Good luck to everybody.

Hey what is the actual point score for your reading section? English is also my second language and I totally felt that the reading section was a torture. I'm a chemistry major but I still think that those reading sections were way too abstruse for nonnative students. thanks for your time.