Job security

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buckeye1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a PGY3 that will be starting my first job in August. I have been looking into picking up shifts at surrounding hospitals so that I can get some experience in different environments while also making some extra money. What is the best to find these opportunities? Cold calling? Recruiters? Locums agencies?

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Cold call. Most recruiters want full time candidates.

Reactions: 1 user
It might be tough to find some shifts since it'll likely take a few months to get credentialed, etc. Is there a history of residents moonlighting at your residency? If so, ask them.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best way to maintain job security IMO is to not work full time anywhere, but maintain multiple part time/PRN jobs, so if your shift count/pay goes down in one location, you can compensate by ramping up shifts elsewhere.

Reactions: 3 users
The best way to maintain job security IMO is to not work full time anywhere, but maintain multiple part time/PRN jobs, so if your shift count/pay goes down in one location, you can compensate by ramping up shifts elsewhere.
Minus the pandemic when part timers and PRNs were more likely to lose their hours.

Reactions: 1 user
I have talked to a few places run by a different CMG than the one I am going to be working for that aren’t interested in adding PRNs right now. Only FT. FWIW.

Minus the pandemic when part timers and PRNs were more likely to lose their hours.
True, that happened back in march/april when stay at home orders/shutdowns caused a massive drop in ED volumes. In most places, the volume has come roaring back and with covid pretty much exploding everywhere in the country, is unlikely to go down. I just recently signed on as part time/prn at multiple places. Although their preference is still FT, I was able to convince them to give me PT work. It also helps that I live in a state with FSEDs, that are seeing a lot of movement due to high volumes and covid testing.
I have talked to a few places run by a different CMG than the one I am going to be working for that aren’t interested in adding PRNs right now. Only FT. FWIW.
Gotcha. See if you've got a academic/county place in your area, that offers 'per diem' work. I know that's available in Houston, but I guess this city is a different beast due to having the medical center and FSEDs.

Agree with this. All the PRNs I had across 4 different hospitals have completely dried up. If you’re not FT right now you’re kinda swinging in the wind even with volumes up now that the CMGs realize they can get more work out of the docs with less complaining. Especially at the places where there is an RVU component to the salary.

I am a PGY3 that will be starting my first job in August. I have been looking into picking up shifts at surrounding hospitals so that I can get some experience in different environments while also making some extra money. What is the best to find these opportunities? Cold calling? Recruiters? Locums agencies?

TIA

Just look for a FT job. I used to be of the mindset that it was always good to have your hands in multiple cookie jars so to speak but over time my perspective has changed somewhat, especially in these turbulent times. While yes, having privileges at multiple facilities does increase your leverage and allow you to experience multiple environments. The reality is that most jobs have a relatively low opinion of PRN docs. You are there to fill gaps in the schedule but are not valued like a FTE. The FT docs will always preferentially get their requested shifts and there is always a vested interest by the employer to hire FTE until you aren't forced to use PRN anymore. Nobody wants to rely on PRN on a consistent basis because they are by nature...inconsistent. They might could give 6 shifts one month, 2 the next, none the next, and so on. They don't feel particularly loyal to a job site because they are working the majority of their shifts somewhere else. They can be entitled and demanding as well as difficult to schedule at times.

Another way to look at it... Whatever shifts you are working PRN takes away from your full time gig. If you are working 16/mo and only 12/mo at your FT site, then the employer will staff accordingly and sooner or later when your PRN jobs dry up, you won't be able to pick up extra shifts at your main site because they staffed so that there wouldn't be any extra shifts/mo left over. That's why it's better to negotiate extra hours in your contract that are guaranteed instead of minimum hours. My colleagues at my current gig are contracted 120 hours. I negotiated for 140 and probably would have negotiated higher if they had let me.

Anyway, working multiple PRN is a good thought. The multiple environment thing is not untrue but in today's environment I really don't think it's the way to go. You should search for a great FT gig and take it before someone else does. If you truly are lost about what types of environments you want to work in then take a firefighter job with one of the major CMGs for the first year or two to figure it out.

I used to do PRN a lot outside my FT gig for the first 3-4 years outside of residency and stopped for all the reasons above. Plus, it's a pain in the ass to stay credentialed at multiple other hospitals. The only thing that would make me change my mind would be if there was the ability to scalp high paying gigs at nearby EDs on a consistent basis like several years ago but those opportunities are gone for the most part.

Currently PRN at one other site. It pays better than my pre-partner rate at my SDG. It's a CMG that runs the ED into the ground.

I work there largely to feel grateful for my current fulltime gig.

And, money. Once I'm partner I'm out.

Just look for a FT job. I used to be of the mindset that it was always good to have your hands in multiple cookie jars so to speak but over time my perspective has changed somewhat, especially in these turbulent times. While yes, having privileges at multiple facilities does increase your leverage and allow you to experience multiple environments. The reality is that most jobs have a relatively low opinion of PRN docs. You are there to fill gaps in the schedule but are not valued like a FTE. The FT docs will always preferentially get their requested shifts and there is always a vested interest by the employer to hire FTE until you aren't forced to use PRN anymore. Nobody wants to rely on PRN on a consistent basis because they are by nature...inconsistent. They might could give 6 shifts one month, 2 the next, none the next, and so on. They don't feel particularly loyal to a job site because they are working the majority of their shifts somewhere else. They can be entitled and demanding as well as difficult to schedule at times.

Another way to look at it... Whatever shifts you are working PRN takes away from your full time gig. If you are working 16/mo and only 12/mo at your FT site, then the employer will staff accordingly and sooner or later when your PRN jobs dry up, you won't be able to pick up extra shifts at your main site because they staffed so that there wouldn't be any extra shifts/mo left over. That's why it's better to negotiate extra hours in your contract that are guaranteed instead of minimum hours. My colleagues at my current gig are contracted 120 hours. I negotiated for 140 and probably would have negotiated higher if they had let me.

Anyway, working multiple PRN is a good thought. The multiple environment thing is not untrue but in today's environment I really don't think it's the way to go. You should search for a great FT gig and take it before someone else does. If you truly are lost about what types of environments you want to work in then take a firefighter job with one of the major CMGs for the first year or two to figure it out.

I used to do PRN a lot outside my FT gig for the first 3-4 years outside of residency and stopped for all the reasons above. Plus, it's a pain in the ass to stay credentialed at multiple other hospitals. The only thing that would make me change my mind would be if there was the ability to scalp high paying gigs at nearby EDs on a consistent basis like several years ago but those opportunities are gone for the most part.

I have a funny situation that *may* be relevant to some. I happen to be (very blessed) at the job in my city that pays the best. Like. Its well known it does AND we got hour *increases* and no pay cuts during this whole pandemic. Its not even that bad of a job, boss is awesome and nursing staff is really nice.... just the usual county/city hospital with county/city inefficiencies.

The downside? We are all HARD capped at 12 shifts a month and basically the only way to get to 13 is to have someone have something come up and ask if someone can cover for them. Powers that be wont let us negotiate any more hours and are very openly trying to get some prn people explicitly so that there is a sick call back up system beyond the 10 of us that are full time. So for us finding side jobs that want a part time guy has become a *must*. Well not a *must* but a strong preference. Most of us are younger and 12 shifts just isnt that much work, even if we are making a solid $20-30 hour more than anyone else around in this city. So we are out here cold calling places offering much less per hour (not that its bad per hour... just much less) and getting turned down left and right because no one really has staffing needs after cutting everyone elses hours so much during covid and if they WERE going to hire someone, then they want a full time commitment.

Its hard to get that side job. Thankfully I've had a side job doing travel medicine for a while but that has only now started to be anything beyond a bare minimum trickle of shifts.

I have a funny situation that *may* be relevant to some. I happen to be (very blessed) at the job in my city that pays the best. Like. Its well known it does AND we got hour *increases* and no pay cuts during this whole pandemic. Its not even that bad of a job, boss is awesome and nursing staff is really nice.... just the usual county/city hospital with county/city inefficiencies.

The downside? We are all HARD capped at 12 shifts a month and basically the only way to get to 13 is to have someone have something come up and ask if someone can cover for them. Powers that be wont let us negotiate any more hours and are very openly trying to get some prn people explicitly so that there is a sick call back up system beyond the 10 of us that are full time. So for us finding side jobs that want a part time guy has become a *must*. Well not a *must* but a strong preference. Most of us are younger and 12 shifts just isnt that much work, even if we are making a solid $20-30 hour more than anyone else around in this city. So we are out here cold calling places offering much less per hour (not that its bad per hour... just much less) and getting turned down left and right because no one really has staffing needs after cutting everyone elses hours so much during covid and if they WERE going to hire someone, then they want a full time commitment.

Its hard to get that side job. Thankfully I've had a side job doing travel medicine for a while but that has only now started to be anything beyond a bare minimum trickle of shifts.

That's horrifying if that's the current state of affairs. I got lucky in finding a new FT job in my city within a much healthier environment at decent pay. Have you tried doing 6 shifts a month for a CMG as a firefighter? I don't know if they hire PRN guys for those gigs but it was a thought. What about telemedicine?

Doesn't florida have FSEDs? I'd think you could get hired there, as they're seeing a ton of activity due to people coming in for covid related complaints. Tons of that going on in DFW and Houston.

Doesn't florida have FSEDs? I'd think you could get hired there, as they're seeing a ton of activity due to people coming in for covid related complaints. Tons of that going on in DFW and Houston.

Only allowed as hospital affiliated FSEDs. And even then, with literally an entire new hospital and two new freestanding EDs opening in the next few weeks/months they are also only looking for full timers. It's just the nature of the beast down there. Every system has a fully stocked backup service that is desperate for shifts and has already been flexed out to FSED land. If they want any new people at all it's to replace someone who retired, and they're happy to keep filling the slot in with part-time people before accepting a new part timer.

I guess the big point I'm trying to make is that there are some communities that are truly saturated. If you can get credentialed elsewhere it is worth its weight in gold because you would never have expected in a million years that this area would be saturated before covid-19 hit.