Job Troubles? Need some input.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RogueBanana

ヽ(´ー`)ノ
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I just wanted to get the opinion of some of the forum members on my predicament.

I am currently working a job in the medical device industry as a researcher. I can't say anything specific, but my job is far from what I signed up for. I am frequently given tasks that are far outside my job description (to the point of ridiculousness, like running personal errands for the boss). This would not be an issue for me if the environment was not so toxic and unprofessional. I can deal with being the "new kid" but things have escalated and only gotten worse since I first came here. Several long term employees have quit.

Here is my problem.

I am applying this cycle & I listed this job on my primary app. I am preparing for the worst case scenario right now IE. re-applying since I was waitlisted after my last interview.

I have heard that quitting jobs looks bad to ADCOMs for a number of reasons. I have several other jobs lined up (one in clinical research with direct patient contact, and one in bench research for a local teaching hospital)

If I quit this job to pursue another job, will this look bad? I fear that my current boss may not give me a good reference if I quit despite me being a good employee by any measure. This job is already listed on my current primary, so if I have to re-apply what do I do? list it and risk the bad reference? Don't list it and have a giant blank space post-graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All,

I just wanted to get the opinion of some of the forum members on my predicament.

I am currently working a job in the medical device industry as a researcher. I can't say anything specific, but my job is far from what I signed up for. I am frequently given tasks that are far outside my job description (to the point of ridiculousness, like running personal errands for the boss). This would not be an issue for me if the environment was not so toxic and unprofessional. I can deal with being the "new kid" but things have escalated and only gotten worse since I first came here. Several long term employees have quit.

Here is my problem.

I am applying this cycle & I listed this job on my primary app. I am preparing for the worst case scenario right now IE. re-applying since I was waitlisted after my last interview.

I have heard that quitting jobs looks bad to ADCOMs for a number of reasons. I have several other jobs lined up (one in clinical research with direct patient contact, and one in bench research for a local teaching hospital)

If I quit this job to pursue another job, will this look bad? I fear that my current boss may not give me a good reference if I quit despite me being a good employee by any measure. This job is already listed on my current primary, so if I have to re-apply what do I do? list it and risk the bad reference? Don't list it and have a giant blank space post-graduation?
I'd say quit and don't get a LOR from the person. If you're switching to a relatively equivalent position, I don't see how it would look bad. Everyone on the admissions committee has had a bad job... also you don't need to mention why you left. Just describe it (if it's worth including) and focus on the newer activity and more important other aspects of your application. If you get a new job soon, and your employer knows you're applying to medical school, 6 months would be decent enough for them to give some insight in a LOR if desired.

As long as you are switching to something you'll enjoy more, that's really all you have to say

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody will care if you quit, unless you were fired for doing something illicit. It is highly unlikely that anyone will call your employer to confirm anything. Do not hold yourself hostage.

Given that there are soo many reasons people change jobs, I'm sure the ad coms won't even care. Safe yourself the stress from dealing with this toxic environment and move on to something else that you will enjoy more. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Regardless of how it affects your med school apps (it won't), you owe it to yourself to get out of a toxic environment. No one deserves to work in a place where you feel trapped, leave asap.

Hey All,

Here is my problem.

If you list it and they call to verify (which they may not), it will be to confirm your capacity and dates. Nothing more. Quit and list it. Find something else where you'll be happier.

I'm 6 years out of college and have had 5+ jobs (some overlapping)...I've never been asked a question about it other than "tell me about XXX, that seems cool." So long as you weren't fired, no one should care.

If asked about the short duration at the position say you were offered a job that was hard to pass up because of x. And that will be the end of it.

Thank you for the kind words everyone.

One of the main benefits of my switch will be having more time to volunteer during the week (as the new gig is part time)

If asked about leaving, I was going to tell the truth, that I found a better job that would allow me to volunteer and pursue my own personal research while preparing for medical school.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm surprised to hear this advice from so many people. I've also been debating leaving my job for a similar position at the same institution. But I've been hesitant because I've heard from an adcom and a current med student that worked on a committee, that appearing non-committal can be a red flag, especially if you haven't held a job/lab position for more than 6 months.

I would hope that adcoms would be understanding, but with so many people to choose from, they need to make cuts somewhere. It sounds like your situation is worse than mine, so I'd say leave if you feel like you could find somewhere more fulfilling, but I'd also recommend thinking about how bad it really is and whether it's worth sticking out.

I'm surprised to hear this advice from so many people. I've also been debating leaving my job for a similar position at the same institution. But I've been hesitant because I've heard from an adcom and a current med student that worked on a committee, that appearing non-committal can be a red flag, especially if you haven't held a job/lab position for more than 6 months.

I would hope that adcoms would be understanding, but with so many people to choose from, they need to make cuts somewhere. It sounds like your situation is worse than mine, so I'd say leave if you feel like you could find somewhere more fulfilling, but I'd also recommend thinking about how bad it really is and whether it's worth sticking out.
Also in a similar situation.. I'm very unhappy in my current job but i have a few interviews left and I don't know how to explain only working there for three months.

Leaving one job after 6 months is not displaying a lack of commitment, especially if you have a good reason (better opportunity with more options for ECs, family time, etc). Having a ton of jobs you "leave" after a short time combined with not having any real length in your ECs will look on-commital. You have to be happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sticking around a toxic environment just so you'll get a LOR is a really, really foolish choice.

Hey All,

Here is my problem.

Sticking around a toxic environment just so you'll get a LOR is a really, really foolish choice.
not looking for an LOR, just if the adcoms check my reference by calling i'm worried it may not be positive

the detriment if you stay in such an environment is far more than moving onto another that will allow you more mental and emotional growth.

I'm pretty sure not a single one of the numbers I put on my amcas was ever called. I just don't think most places bother

the detriment if you stay in such an environment is far more than moving onto another that will allow you more mental and emotional growth.
I appreciate this encouragement.. I'm currently struggling to pull the final trigger to leaving my job. My biggest concern is the explanation to interviewers. But I really think I would be so much happier spending time with my family and unwinding until matriculation.

I appreciate this encouragement.. I'm currently struggling to pull the final trigger to leaving my job. My biggest concern is the explanation to interviewers. But I really think I would be so much happier spending time with my family and unwinding until matriculation.

I feel your pain friend

Today might be the day.... I'll keep you guys posted :laugh:

Before you quit, memorize this song,and use it to quit.