Johns Hopkins... when should we expect to hear, and general discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dancer77

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at Hopkins early Dec.... anyone know when we should expect to hear back from them???

I'm also curious to hear from people who interviewed there... what was your impression of the school? Pros? Cons? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed in early October and heard from them late October.

Pros: best hospital in the country, by far.

Cons: Baltimore.

Are you saying Baltimore is a con because of the safety/crime, or other reasons as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
I went into that interview not expecting a lot -- weird, I know -- but I cam out from it completely impressed. I loved the school and honestly, I didn't expect to. *sigh* Now I've just got to waite until March... it's not going to be a fun month. :rolleyes:

Are you saying Baltimore is a con because of the safety/crime, or other reasons as well?

Crime, and it's a pretty blah city in general.

i know this has probably been posted somehwere, and is in the usnews book, which I don't have...but doesn't anyone have the statistic for #interviewed and #of offers...specifically offers, not just those who matriculated?

I'm interviewing next week, the invite came as a bit of a surprise

anyone know when December interviewees are supposed to hear back?

does anybody know if jhu is still sending out interview invites

I believe Johns Hopkins accepts about 40% of interviewees (per data of 2004).

december interviewees will most likely hear at the end of january thanks to rolling admissions. just to put it out there, they say that if you get the waiting list letter 'with return envelope' you are on an actual waiting list and if you get the letter 'without return envelope' you're on some list but will never get in - this is not true.

jh is a great school but still uber-competitive b/c they have grades, and grades make otherwise nice students mean.

Jack Bauer!!!!!!

wowwwwwwwwwwww.... as if you're not saving the country on FOX, but you wannA go to med school TOO!!#$&!

:)

is he/she a stellar+++ candidate?
wondering if these recent invites to top schools are only for the 40+ 3.9+ and the likes :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, as someone interviewing at this school in February, I'm encouraged by the late acceptances. In reality though, I only see my interview as an invite to the waitlist :(

i know this has probably been posted somehwere, and is in the usnews book, which I don't have...but doesn't anyone have the statistic for #interviewed and #of offers...specifically offers, not just those who matriculated?

I'm interviewing next week, the invite came as a bit of a surprise

Here is the data straight from US News & WR:

# Applicants: 4289
# Interviewed: 643
# Accepted: 255
# Matriculated: 120

So, as someone stated earlier, ~40% of those interviewed will be accepted. Interestingly, less than 50% of those accepted will actually attend! What's up with that? I'm guessing those are the peeps that are accepted by the other "H" school or absolutely despise the city of Baltimore. ;)

So, as someone stated earlier, ~40% of those interviewed will be accepted. Interestingly, less than 50% of those accepted will actually attend! What's up with that? I'm guessing those are the peeps that are accepted by the other "H" school or absolutely despise the city of Baltimore. ;)

Almost every school is at 50% (accepted: matriculated) or less with the exception of a small few (Harvard, Penn, UCSF, Stanford).

I think you are right, though: Hopkins' rate is low because Baltimore sucks. From what some of my friends at Penn tell me, many students choose Penn over Hopkins.

Almost every school is at 50% (accepted: matriculated) or less with the exception of a small few (Harvard, Penn, UCSF, Stanford).

I think you are right, though: Hopkins' rate is low because Baltimore sucks. From what some of my friends at Penn tell me, many students choose Penn over Hopkins.

Yeah - I guess I expected Hopkins to be higher, considering its status among med schools. Harvard has a ridiculously high matriculation rate. I would expect Hopkins to be on par with that, but I guess Boston >>> Baltimore in the city rankings.

Yeah - I guess I expected Hopkins to be higher, considering its status among med schools. Harvard has a ridiculously high matriculation rate. I would expect Hopkins to be on par with that, but I guess Boston >>> Baltimore in the city rankings.

Yeah. I imagine that a lot of these Hopkins people are turning them down for Harvard. I know I would.

Majority of people would say JHU is blah and Baltimore is blah. Others say JHU rocks and Baltimore is blah. I think JHU is ok and Baltimore rocks. Bmore is what you make of it. If you decide to make it a waltz through the east side rowhouses at 3AM talking on your cell phone and waving your ipod nano in the air while dressed in your Sunday's finest, well you deserve what is coming to you.

There are nice little treasures in Baltimore that are waiting for you to dig them up. Granted, you do have to dig through alot of garbage to get there...

I fell in love with Hopkins when I went for my interview and I really want to go there. Sad news, though...I'm on the lower part of the alternate list; the one in which they tell you that they will not be contacting you again. I figure if this was truly a rejection, they would have just rejected me.

So my question is, what can I do to get myself bumped up to the upper part of the wait list? Would it be beneficial to have someone call on my behalf? What else? I'm desperate. I really think Hopkins is perfect for me. How do I convince them of that?

a) has anyone heard back this week?
b) what time do they call?

I have not heard anything yet. When did you interview? :luck:

When I was there, they told us to expect to hear something in 6-8 weeks. Have they been generally keeping to schedule, or do they overestimate *is secretly hoping this is the case*?

At any rate, :luck: boys and girls.

I got called in the afternoon. When I interviewed, they told us EXACTLY (to the DAY) when we would hear news (if good news). It was about 2 months. They said there are three places to put your application, post interview:

(1) Accepted
(2) Waitlist*
(3) Reject**

*I think this is called "hold" maybe, I don't know. But in SDN terms, this is the waitlist and people will be accepted from this group.
**I think they call this the "waitlist" but they also say you will no longer be considered.

Is B'More really that bad? Statistics show the city is one of the least safe in the country, but what I saw wasn't too bad (I didn't go off campus at all, though). There were armed guards on street corners, others on segways, couldn't even walk in the hosptial without someone asking you why you were there. I remember walking in the Broadway building and turning left to go in the admissions office and the guard got REALLY ticked off, made me sign in, etc. Besides crime in the area (not campus), do people not like the city because it is not very big compared to the other NE cities?

hey smokey,

exactly when did you interview?

thanks =)

I got called in the afternoon. When I interviewed, they told us EXACTLY (to the DAY) when we would hear news (if good news). It was about 2 months. They said there are three places to put your application, post interview:

(1) Accepted
(2) Waitlist*
(3) Reject**

*I think this is called "hold" maybe, I don't know. But in SDN terms, this is the waitlist and people will be accepted from this group.
**I think they call this the "waitlist" but they also say you will no longer be considered.

Is B'More really that bad? Statistics show the city is one of the least safe in the country, but what I saw wasn't too bad (I didn't go off campus at all, though). There were armed guards on street corners, others on segways, couldn't even walk in the hosptial without someone asking you why you were there. I remember walking in the Broadway building and turning left to go in the admissions office and the guard got REALLY ticked off, made me sign in, etc. Besides crime in the area (not campus), do people not like the city because it is not very big compared to the other NE cities?

thanks smokey. did anybody interview on nov 16? do you remember when we are supposed to hear back? i think they said mid january...did anybody get a phone call yet?

does the # accepted include those that get in off the waitlist? or does # accepted refer to only those initially accepted?

does the # accepted include those that get in off the waitlist? or does # accepted refer to only those initially accepted?

That number will include off the waitlist.