2024-2025 Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please share the Secondary essay prompts when available and tag a moderator.

We are still waiting to see the secondary prompts for this year, while you wait you might like to read this:
A $1 billion gift to Johns Hopkins University from billionaire Mike Bloomberg will make medical school free for most students, and increase financial aid for those enrolled in nursing, public health and other graduate programs.
Starting this fall, Johns Hopkins will offer medical school students free tuition — normally about $65,000 a year for four years — for those whose families earn less than $300,000 a year. Students from families earning up to $175,000 a year will have living expenses and fees covered as well.
https://wapo.st/4cO2t9B

Good luck to all applying!
Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One of last year's prompts that I assume will be on this year's essay list was the one asking about interrupting college education: "If you interrupted your college education for a semester or longer, please describe what you did during that time."

If I spent two years in between my high school graduation and start of college serving a mission for my church, would I include that here? Or, since it was not in the middle of my college education, should I leave it blank?

One of last year's prompts that I assume will be on this year's essay list was the one asking about interrupting college education: "If you interrupted your college education for a semester or longer, please describe what you did during that time."

If I spent two years in between my high school graduation and start of college serving a mission for my church, would I include that here? Or, since it was not in the middle of my college education, should I leave it blank?
I would say leave it blank. they are trying to see if you were in college continuously, not whether you took a gap year after high school. This can also apply to your gap year after college and before medical school if applicable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Attended Hopkins a few years back. Attending now. Happy to answer any questions.

Hi everyone! I am applying next cycle, but I was hoping for a little clarification on the LOR requirements. I see on MSAR that a committee letter is preferred, but you are allowed to include additional letters, and if you are unable to get a committee letter, you should submit 2 science profs and 1 non-science prof. I will be able to get a committee letter, so my question is, do I have to adhere to the "2 science profs and 1 non-science profs" requirement when I include additional letters? I would love to submit a rec from my clinical supervisor instead of a non-science prof, but I worry that the guidelines for non-committee letter applicants indicate that they are completely uninterested in reading that.

What do you think are the main reasons someone should choose Hopkins over other similar caliber med schools like Harvard/columbia/penn?

I picked Hopkins over two of the names you listed for a variety of reasons. Went to a couple of Second Look, liked the student body at Hopkins the best, and thought I'd be happiest here over anywhere else. Other reasons included international reputation, lower cost of living, unified health system (rather than having affiliated hospitals), research opportunities, smaller class size, college system, match outcomes, and state-of-the-art, new facilities. My suggestion to you is to pick the place where you'd be happiest.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I am applying next cycle, but I was hoping for a little clarification on the LOR requirements. I see on MSAR that a committee letter is preferred, but you are allowed to include additional letters, and if you are unable to get a committee letter, you should submit 2 science profs and 1 non-science prof. I will be able to get a committee letter, so my question is, do I have to adhere to the "2 science profs and 1 non-science profs" requirement when I include additional letters? I would love to submit a rec from my clinical supervisor instead of a non-science prof, but I worry that the guidelines for non-committee letter applicants indicate that they are completely uninterested in reading that.
When I applied many years ago, I submitted a committee letter with all the reference letters attached to it. Our advisors were kind enough to place those letters from strongest to weakest for us. I was a non-traditional and research-heavy candidate so I had 6 letters (2 science, 2 humanities, 1 research, 1 extracurricular), one of which was from my research supervisor.

Y'all might be interested in this:

Reactions: 1 users
Y'all might be interested in this:

Attending Johns Hopkins on a full scholarship is straight up dream world stuff, this is awesome.

I'm a bit confused about the recommendation letter requirements. The FAQ on the Hopkins website says additional letters beyond the required 3 professor letters may be sent (although they may not read the extras). On the other hand, MSAR says the max letters allowed is 3. I have a letter from my PI that I would like to include, which would be a 4th letter (my school does not do committee letters).

Does anyone know if the max on MSAR being listed as 3 means I won't be able to send a 4th letter?

I'm a bit confused about the recommendation letter requirements. The FAQ on the Hopkins website says additional letters beyond the required 3 professor letters may be sent (although they may not read the extras). On the other hand, MSAR says the max letters allowed is 3. I have a letter from my PI that I would like to include, which would be a 4th letter (my school does not do committee letters).

Does anyone know if the max on MSAR being listed as 3 means I won't be able to send a 4th letter?

Please see my response above. You can send in more than 3.

Please see my response above. You can send in more than 3.

I wasn’t sure if that was only allowed because you sent them as a committee letter / letter packet, since that only counts as one letter on AMCAS. I will have to upload 4 individual letters, and was more so wondering if AMCAS will still allow me to send a 4th letter in the system, but I guess I can also just try and see what happens. Thank you!

I wasn’t sure if that was only allowed because you sent them as a committee letter / letter packet, since that only counts as one letter on AMCAS. I will have to upload 4 individual letters, and was more so wondering if AMCAS will still allow me to send a 4th letter in the system, but I guess I can also just try and see what happens. Thank you!
@beanie12 please educate yourself on letters: AMCAS guide pages 56 to 60
You can upload as many as 10 letters to AMCAS, but as they say, it doesn't mean ANY of your schools want that many letters!
It is redundant to send your committee letter to a school and also upload the same letters contained in the committee packet separately
One quote from the guide:
You may have up to 10 letters associated with your AMCAS application. The number is intended to
enable you and your letter authors to target specific letters to specific schools, if you wish to do so.
However, the 10-letter total does not suggest that any one school wishes to receive 10 letters. If your
advising office or career center is forwarding your letters to the AMCAS program, please consult with the
office or center before you enter the information on your AMCAS application in order to avoid
complications. Please review the Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR) for additional
requirements for each MD-granting school.