-July 31, 2009 MCAT Official Thread-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zona Pellucida

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for all those taking the July 31st 8am administration.

This will be my second time taking the test after May 22nd, 2009.

Members don't see this ad.

For reals??? :laugh: That sucks!!

Alright I feel like I'm the only one that isn't all stressed out about it...its okay everyone, don't worry about it! There is nothing you can do now, just relax and enjoy the rest of your summer!!!!

:luck:

Agree. It's done. Enjoy what remains of summer since we were robbed a big chunk of it this year! Nothing we can do now. I wish the best for all of us!

For those of you that frequent this site, you may consider spending some time looking at other Official _____ MCAT threads. For example, if you go check out the posts for the Official June 18th MCAT thread, you may notice that they (or at least a majority of them) came out of their test feeling remarkably close to how we felt about ours. I think they generally thought the BS section was hardest and that they had at least a few passages based more on tricky experimental setup (like our starving fly passage) than the expected hormones, kidney, orgo, etc. passages. Also, I recommend looking back at this test date specifically because it is the most recent test taken that has received their scores. So you can compare how they felt after their test with how they actually did. July 2nd test takers get their scores on Aug 4th so you can check that out in a couple days. Obviously, those that did better than not are more likely to post their scores, so remember it likely isn't representative of all test takers for that given test date. Typically, people will post their average practice test scores (usually aamc tests are most closely related), the way they felt coming out of their real test, their anticipated score, and then what they actually got. Either way, you clearly have the time to stalk this thread, so you may try to spend less time worrying about our test, and more time investigating recent test pools. If anything, it's a small distraction that may make you feel a little bit better.

Also, for those you that plan on waiting for your score before you decide to apply, I have some advice. As is mentioned elsewhere on SDN, you can submit your application to just one school and then add others on later as you wish. The beauty of this is that you can get your application rolling while you wait for your test scores and decide if and where you want to apply in a month. Remember, application submission opened in June (July for some schools), so many people have already submitted or will very soon submit their application. Hence the reason that during peak submission times, they tell you to expect several (as many as six I think) weeks for your application to process and be verified. So if you are pretty sure you want to apply this year, but are waiting on test scores to confirm where you have a fighting chance, then this is a viable option. Also, for those that feel like they might not have done very well and may just retake and apply next year, you can always just submit to one school, and then withdraw your application when you find out your score if you are not happy with it. The caveat to this strategy is that I believe you can't add more LOR (letters of rec) after you press submit. Also, it requies you to be willing to spend the initial submission fees. Additionally, for anyone that is interested in dual degree programs, you can add additional schools post submission and check which dual program you want. This should then let you add your additional essays (i.e. the two extra essays required for MD/PhD). So instead of worrying about your score, try to fill out your application (entering transcripts, personal essay, work/activities, etc.) and relax a bit. If anything, if you decide to postpone applying until next year, you have already done most of the hard work already.

And one more thing: For the sake of your sanity, try to avoid succumbing to even more stress by having a backup plan. Even if you get interviews, you will still likely be asked "What if you don't get in? What do plan to do?" Do yourself a favor and apply to another program of interest to you (i.e. DO, PA, Master's, PhD, etc.). Clearly all (okay well most) of you are hard-working, determined, and very competent, so you are qualified for other programs as well. This is especially true for those of you that racked up a hefty list of non-fluff experiences (i.e. research, volunteering...) and maintained a decent gpa. Trust me, if you are qualified to apply to to med school, you are definitely qualified to apply to grad school. That being said, try to pick something you would like to do 'in the meantime.' For example, just because you qualify for a Master's program, does not mean it will be worth the money, time, or effort if you 1) hate research, 2) didn't really like you major and can't stand the thought of taking more classes related to it.

For all us that survived the July 31st MCAT, I wish each of you the best of luck!

Indeed, best of luck for everybody.

Trying not to let our thread die!!!!

Anyone else working on apps...if so then this is the most complicated application I have ever filled out..!!! :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
i submitted the primary on friday. can i start doing secondaries yet or do i have to wait to be verified first?

how are your apps coming?

Congrats! I'm still working on mine. I have everything except for which medical schools and essays done. It took me FOREVER to do the activities section b/c I had too many...and had to let some go.

I don't know how secondaries work...I think have to get verified first??? I'm not sure...anyone else?

You will get secondaries from schools after you have been verified. Verification can take anywhere from 4 - 6 weeks. But what you can do while the verification process takes place is go look up the prompts of the secondaries in the 2009-2010 School Specific Discussion forum. So while you won't get secondaries until your primary app. is verified, you can start working on them by writing out your essays. Once your primary app is verified, you'll get the secondaries and you can return them quickly. Good luck.

You will get secondaries from schools after you have been verified. Verification can take anywhere from 4 - 6 weeks. But what you can do while the verification process takes place is go look up the prompts of the secondaries in the 2009-2010 School Specific Discussion forum. So while you won't get secondaries until your primary app. is verified, you can start working on them by writing out your essays. Once your primary app is verified, you'll get the secondaries and you can return them quickly. Good luck.

I already have secondaries that I need to complete although I have not yet been verified. I am hesitant to turn them in seeing as I am not sure how I did on the MCAT.

How did you get them w/o being verified? I'm lost on this process...lol! How many schools should I apply to?? I have 24. Is that way too many? :D

I don't know. I just hopes my apps makes it to the CA schools!

So most state schools don't really accept non-residents, is this true?

Is anyone applying to brand Spanking NEW medical schools? Is this a good idea?

Yea, some schools will send you secondaries before your primary app. is verified (BU and Columbia for example). You can work on those secondaries and submit them without your MCAT score. But if your hesitant that your MCAT score is not up to par with that school's stats, you can fill out the secondary and submit them after you get your score back.

Just wondering what you guys would be happy with?

For me:

30-35 I wouldn't take it again! :)
>35 WTF would not expect to get :D
<30 Don't feel like I did this badly, would be sad :(

What about the rest of ya? Be realistic.

Personally, I'd be happy with 25 or above. I know that might be a low bar to set...especially by student.doctor standards...but I'm a non-trad student and also applying mostly DO. I would LOVE a 28 or above...that would make my MD app very strong. I didn't apply to any top-tier schools...I am being realistic as to where I stand...and also don't want to waste money I don't have.

And a question to all you long-term MCAT studiers out there.....

Did you find that you were continually forgetting the information you learned/reviewed weeks or months ago? I did...and for this MCAT instead of studying for months and then hitting the practice tests hard for a couple of weeks, I decided to review all the material until the night before and then go into the test with all of the information fresh in my mind. I didn't do any practice passages...not one. Since I took it before I knew what to expect in terms of how the passages and questions were constructed, so I just relied on the information to help me reason things through. It seemed to work better this time...but I guess only time will tell...! Did anyone else approach their studying this way?

I will be 'happy' as long as I go up from my 8-9-10 (27) from 5/22. I will be ecstatic to break a 30, since I know I am more than capable of doing so, but failed to do on the one that counts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally would be satisfied with a 9x9x9. I'm not applying to top schools, and I will focus all the energy later on my medical career instead of wasting it on the MCAT, although I'm so scared what my BS grade will look like since I found the biological section very long and tedious. As for Rtrn2sndr, I find that MCAT is all about practice. I had a study plan full of practice tests, and I was actually learning a lot from the explanations and from my mistakes, going back to Kaplan's Permier when I needed to. I also find EK science passages to be most close to the real test.

What did the 7/31 test look like? Was it like the AAMC exam #3 or was it like 2004 Kaplan exams (which are much harder)?

Thanks

What did the 7/31 test look like? Was it like the AAMC exam #3 or was it like 2004 Kaplan exams (which are much harder)?

Thanks

Neither.

Kaplan involves lots of calculations. There was like 2. PS was similar to AAMC except with a few more weird questions IMO. VR same as AAMC. BS harder than AAMCs but not really like Kaplan either in my opinion.

Neither.

Kaplan involves lots of calculations. There was like 2. PS was similar to AAMC except with a few more weird questions IMO. VR same as AAMC. BS harder than AAMCs but not really like Kaplan either in my opinion.

What tests would you recommend to practice on? Which ones would you say were close to the actual? I'm registered to take it on the 14th.

Thanks

What tests would you recommend to practice on? Which ones would you say were close to the actual? I'm registered to take it on the 14th.

Thanks

I suppose EK PS passages were closest to the real test, the explanations give you intelligent hints that would facilitate calculations during the real test. Anybody agrees?

Just found out I got into the UQ/Oschner program! Except that it costs an obscene amount I'd be an IMG and have a MBBS and they're waiting on certs. For this special program. They start Jan. So I'm hoping they'll let me defer a year while I wait to hear from US schools. But its an option! Now to wait until Sept. 1....

Not sure if this was mentioned before, was the verbal passage on Liberalism experimental? That passage was rough.

Yeah that passageg blew. I thought it was the most confusing out of all of them. No way to tell what is experimental and what's not. There may not have been any experimental.

so...a WEEK has passed...how are we all doing? has anyone changed their mind about how the felt after the test?

I'm still mildly upset...i just hope it turns out ok...

so...a WEEK has passed...how are we all doing? has anyone changed their mind about how the felt after the test?

Me too, I'm still kind of cautiously relaxed about PS, yet upset about BS ...

I just hate when I know I made some stupid mistakes. (BS Lacteal FTL)

I just feel like I made LESS stupid mistakes this time around, but I don't wanna get too comfortable as you never know. We'll see!

Yeah I made some stupid mistakes too, especially in the canavan passage! anw let's wait and see, 3 weeks to go.

My favorite is how some schools won't even wait until the retake comes in to consider your application - already got rejected from VCU day after I submitted my secondary. I was under the impression they would have waited for this score to come in...

Yeah, I'm still poed and getting fatter by the minute. I feel like I got myself in more trouble than it was worth.

bumbity bump -

freaaking out

yeah i'm still worried. i feel like i may have still gotten a 10 in verbal, but the ps and bs was so much harder. i'm afraid i'm going to see a score of 6, 10, 6 if i'm lucky. 22!! what if i don't get that 10 in verbal.. a 6, 8, 6?!? :eek:

call it a good or a bad idea but i'm heading out to the battle front again on friday...will get back on how it compared with the 31st.

Not sure if this was mentioned before, was the verbal passage on Liberalism experimental? That passage was rough.

I'm happy to hear that b/c I totally had 5 minutes and had to guess on a lot of the questions. If its hard then I did the right thing by spending more time with the easier passages? Well I guess that is what TPR tells you but I never know what the killer passage is..It would be awesome if it was experimental although sometimes I find that guessing quickly can actually get you quite a few right.

Instincts are important.

I have MIXED feelings about Biology b/c I didn't think it was that hard? Then everyone has been saying it was really hard...but I think it could due to my experiences. I taught the last semester of OCHEM at Berkeley for 2 semesters so OChem is really nature to me. I also took a lot of upperdiv bio classes like biochem, genetics, and cell bio so I found those three to help a lot with the MCATs. My major is molecular cell bio with an emphasis on cell developmental biology? Does that me I should be okay? I'm just scared that I totally bombed it and didn't even know..I found it challenging but I thought Verbal was way harder....

Bio = 90% sure on most questions, ~5 did really know, wasn't sure
Verbal = 50% sure on questions....this is the only section that bothers me!

PS I don't know cuz everyone said its easy so there won't be a general curve...that might suck....sometimes its better to have it be more difficult.

I have MIXED feelings about Biology b/c I didn't think it was that hard? Then everyone has been saying it was really hard...but I think it could due to my experiences. I taught the last semester of OCHEM at Berkeley for 2 semesters so OChem is really nature to me. I also took a lot of upperdiv bio classes like biochem, genetics, and cell bio so I found those three to help a lot with the MCATs. My major is molecular cell bio with an emphasis on cell developmental biology? Does that me I should be okay? I'm just scared that I totally bombed it and didn't even know..I found it challenging but I thought Verbal was way harder....

PS I don't know cuz everyone said its easy so there won't be a general curve...that might suck....sometimes its better to have it be more difficult.

I totally agree! I'm definitely most worried about the verbal section...thought VR >>> BS > PS.

But then again, I took the test 5/28 and scored the highest in the section I thought I had bombed. Just goes to show that there's not a good way to predict what you got, other than your practice averages because so much of it depends on the curve...here's to waiting! Good luck everybody!

Confidence everyone! We made it through the months of studying and hours of testing. This is the easy part!

When we have to make decisions about what to do with our lives after we get the scores that will be much harder. Let's try to enjoy the next 19 days or so.

I think you should be fine. I went to Cal too! If you took genetics and cell biology, you should be just fine.

Physics was supposed to be easy? Eek Eek! Did anyone know what was up with the rocket ship question? Was the equation just to throw us off? What's up with the submarine question? Was gravity the factor that mattered the least?

AHH! Stop reminding me of odd questions! I pretty much have no remembrance of the test at all by this point so whatever.

AMCAS = Finalized today so I should be receiving secondaries tomorrow.

Secondaries > MCAT worrying | any day.

I'm happy to hear that b/c I totally had 5 minutes and had to guess on a lot of the questions. If its hard then I did the right thing by spending more time with the easier passages? Well I guess that is what TPR tells you but I never know what the killer passage is..It would be awesome if it was experimental although sometimes I find that guessing quickly can actually get you quite a few right.

Instincts are important.

So if it was experimental, do the questions not count?

Have we figured out which ones were experimental?

V: Liberalism?

BS: I really hope it wasnt the one about breathing...but it doesn't look like everyone had it.

Aren't there different versions of the test?

I was under the impression there's no reason to think you had an experimental passage just because it varied. lol plus the liberalism passage was THAT bad.

Just because a passage/question was challenging or odd does not mean it was experimental. The whole test probably counts.

Are we there yet?

Physics was supposed to be easy? Eek Eek! Did anyone know what was up with the rocket ship question? Was the equation just to throw us off? What's up with the submarine question? Was gravity the factor that mattered the least?

I was 07 what year were you?

That rocket ship question was totally there to throw you off!!! I saw it and skipped immediately. Its convoluted with lots of variables and some crazy graph. I think it was supposed to be like the Respiration passage or long Ochem passage in Bio. You were suppose to take your time and figure it out. Once you did, it actually was very doable. Expect, I couldn't figure the rocket one out at all....

I don't remember a submarine...? Was it about gauge pressure? Who knows...I hope I did okay :luck: I hope we all did okay..

Hi friends. this is like my second or third ever, but I've been actively following this thread! Working on secondaries, and decided to check in with the fellow 31st-ers. I suppose in an attempt to keep this thread alive, I can share my 2 cents on the test.

Verbal. wtf, mate.

oh, and that passage on a gallstone...despite some serious research on google, I still haven't found a concrete answer.

Anyway, I wish you all the best of luck with the secondaries. for those who are still really anxious, my heart goes out to you. Just know that some of the top scorers felt the same anxiety and uncertainty...better to shift focus on what remains in your control rather than what doesn't. If some of us do have to retake, it's truly not a big deal (i'm a retaker, from a 32R) but we can cross that road when we get there (hopefully, none of us will have to) :luck: