MD Just received my MCAT today, what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plebeian

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello people!

This is my first post although I have been looking through SDN for a couple years now. I saw my MCAT score this morning as wasn't too impressed to say the least.

MCAT: 503 - 125/128/124/126 I thought I did much better but what can ya do.. I don't have the time to study or retake the MCAT until at least July though I don't want to take it again either way :/.

I study advanced chemistry and graduate in May 2018.
-GPA: 3.86
-sGPA: ~3.8
-First generation college student, black male.
-Will have 1.5 years research and 1 publication by time I apply.
-Two presentations and talks at ACS and a chemistry technology foundation.
-I have taught organic chemistry I and II labs for roughly 2.5 years.
-Tutoring semi-frequently.
~50 hours shadowing.
~500 hours volunteering.
-I work about 40-50 hours a week not including research.

What do you think my chances are at getting accepted into an MD program in the next cycle?
My thoughts if I don't get in are to take the MCAT again(unlikely), or take the Chm GRE and apply to masters and Ph.D programs in chemical engineering as a backup plan.

I plan on applying to many low-tier schools (15), a few mid tier and possibly one or two reaches.

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Arizona state resident, the reason I am weary of taking the MCAT again is that I spent the better part of the summer studying and thought I would have done well. Kaplan tests averaged about 504, and aamc 509. I don't know if I can improve on the score the second time and would be short on studying time too it's just odd that for example I got such a bad score in bio/biochem - I was top of the class in 3 biochemistry courses so maybe I'm just discouraged.

I would consider applying to some DO as well as a safety.

I suggest applying to these schools where you could receive interviews with your stats:
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
any new schools that open for 2019 (Seton Hall, Roseman, Kaiser, NOVA MD)
You also have 2 DO schools in AZ: ATSU-SOMA and AZCOM.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Being a dynamo in biochem class is impressive, but it doesn't mean you'll do well on MCAT biochem--two different skill sets. You could study hard, address your weaknesses, and retake the test. If you get over a 510 I think you'd be golden for almost any school outside the top 20-30. As Faha showed above, though, you probably have a solid chance with your score as is if you apply intelligently. You seem to have a stellar app with the MCAT being the only weakness. Good luck!

Retake the MCAT. Take practice tests, go over every question you get wrong and analyze the you-know-what out of it. Your URM status could lead your low MCAT to be forgiven at low-tier MD schools and state schools, but if you want an MD acceptance a retake and higher score, 508+ and preferably 510+, is going to seal the deal for you. If you're open to DO schools you don't need a retake. The good GPA, mediocre (for DO) MCAT and your URM status will probably land you a seat in a DO program.

I honestly feel with those stats you'll definitely get in somewhere for sure. How many? I have no clue, but just be strategic where you'll apply. Good luck, hopefully it worked out!

I hate to say it this way but the fact that you're URM will probably help your chances a lot. Your GPA is great and your EC's seem pretty good. From what I know a first gen college URM with research and publications, good gpa, but a bit low MCAT should still be set as long as your interviews are good.

I also think you'll be okay with that MCAT considering your URM status and your great ECs. If you want to put a guarantee on it, retake your MCAT... but I don't think it will hurt to roll the dice one cycle and see what happens. Apply to DO and low to mid tier MD and I think you'll get in somewhere.

Hello people!

This is my first post although I have been looking through SDN for a couple years now. I saw my MCAT score this morning as wasn't too impressed to say the least.

MCAT: 503 - 125/128/124/126 I thought I did much better but what can ya do.. I don't have the time to study or retake the MCAT until at least July though I don't want to take it again either way :/.

I study advanced chemistry and graduate in May 2018.
-GPA: 3.86
-sGPA: ~3.8
-First generation college student, black male.
-Will have 1.5 years research and 1 publication by time I apply.
-Two presentations and talks at ACS and a chemistry technology foundation.
-I have taught organic chemistry I and II labs for roughly 2.5 years.
-Tutoring semi-frequently.
~50 hours shadowing.
~500 hours volunteering.
-I work about 40-50 hours a week not including research.

What do you think my chances are at getting accepted into an MD program in the next cycle?
My thoughts if I don't get in are to take the MCAT again(unlikely), or take the Chm GRE and apply to masters and Ph.D programs in chemical engineering as a backup plan.

I plan on applying to many low-tier schools (15), a few mid tier and possibly one or two reaches.

Thanks for any input!

You’ll get into an MD program. Your GPA alone secures that. Just retake the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user