Just took the DAT, no luck. Should I apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jo_erde08

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone :),

I just took the DAT. It didn't go as well as I planned.

PAT 20
QR 17 (didn't even finish this section =/)
RC 20
Bio 20
Gen. Chem 18
Orgo 19
TS 19
AA 19

I was aiming for a 23 but fell quite short of it =/ My GPA is 3.19. I was planning on applying this cycle had I did exceptional on the DAT. Now I'm kinda bummed and don't know what I should do. Should I go ahead and still apply with these scores?

I'm definitely planning on retaking the DAT (the soonest I can retake would be in July). I want to send in my applications as soon as possible since my GPA isn't great ='/ If I send in my application on June 1st with these scores and send in my new DAT score (if they're any better) how would that affect my chances? Or do I wait to send in my application altogether after my second attempt at the DAT?

Also, I believe dental schools can see all your attempted DAT scores, right? It's not like the ACT or the SAT where you can choose the highest to be sent? So would even waiting to send in my application after my second attempt do any good for me? I'm sorry if all these questions seem bit silly but I'm just confused at this point. I had a plan and it obviously didn't pan out, so I need some genuine advice from my fellow student doctors.

I know my GPA looks scary but I have lot of volunteer hours/extracurricular activities, I've volunteered with Global Medical/Dental Brigades for two years (I'm hoping that will show dental schools that I am a good all-arounded person) and I'm still working on shadowing hours.

Do I have a bit of chance here or no =/ ?

Members don't see this ad.

You have a chance, but your GPA and DAT are below average, as you already know. I would advise getting your application in the first week the cycle opens and then updating your app with your DAT scores in July. Your scores aren't that bad. I'm sure that with a couple extra months of studying that you can get 20+ across each section. Work on your timing. For QR, practice with Math Destroyer. Since QR is the last section, a lot of people tend to burn out near the end of the exam. If you can time yourself and get about 30/40 with Math Destroyer you should be able to get 20+ on the actual exam. Best of luck!

From what I've seen a few people say before, I think you would benefit from either applying as early as possible and making sure the schools know you are retaking, or wait until you get those better scores in July and then applying. Whatever you do, make sure the schools know of your retake, or they may just pass your application into a "maybe later" pile without checking in on whether you retook or not until much, much later.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've seen a few people say before, I think you would benefit from either applying as early as possible and making sure the schools know you are retaking, or wait until you get those better scores in July and then applying. Whatever you do, make sure the schools know of your retake, or they may just pass your application into a "maybe later" pile without checking in on whether you retook or not until much, much later.

Do you know how I would let the schools know I am retaking? Should I just call each school and tell them that I would be retaking?

Also, in the DAT Scores section of AADSAS you can put the date of future tests.

3.36 overall, 3.48 BCP, 18AA 19TS 22oc, 18gc, 17 bio, 17rc, 18qr, 23pat and I had 6 pre dec invites 2 post dec invites and was accepted dec 2nd. this site blows things wayyyyyy overboard. You will be fine

You're fine. I got a 19AA, 16QR, 18TS with 3.1 sGPA and got 6 interviews and accepted on dec 2nd. It's all about applying to the right schools.

PAT 20
RC 20
Bio 20
Gen. Chem 18
Orgo 19
TS 19
AA 19

I was aiming for a 23 but fell quite short of it =/ My GPA is 3.19. I was planning on applying this cycle had I did exceptional on the DAT. Now I'm kinda bummed and don't know what I should do. Should I go ahead and still apply with these scores?

I'm definitely planning on retaking the DAT (the soonest I can retake would be in July). I want to send in my applications as soon as possible since my GPA isn't great ='/ If I send in my application on June 1st with these scores and send in my new DAT score (if they're any better) how would that affect my chances? Or do I wait to send in my application altogether after my second attempt at the DAT?

Also, I believe dental schools can see all your attempted DAT scores, right? It's not like the ACT or the SAT where you can choose the highest to be sent? So would even waiting to send in my application after my second attempt do any good for me? I'm sorry if all these questions seem bit silly but I'm just confused at this point. I had a plan and it obviously didn't pan out, so I need some genuine advice from my fellow student doctors.

I know my GPA looks scary but I have lot of volunteer hours/extracurricular activities, I've volunteered with Global Medical/Dental Brigades for two years (I'm hoping that will show dental schools that I am a good all-arounded person) and I'm still working on shadowing hours.

You should go ahead and apply this cycle. But before you submit your application make sure you rock this semester and bring your cum/sciGPAs to at least 3.2. Some schools (like NYU and Nova) dont want anyone with GPAs lower than that. Try to get at least a 21AA, learn from your mistakes

You can submit your app before you retake the DAT, many people do this. Once you get the retake scores theyll be sent to the schools after 10-14 days. If you want the schools to see it right away you can scan your unofficial score report and fax or email it to them.

Schools can see all your attempted DAT scores. Some only look at the higher one, most look at the recent one, others consider both equally or the more recent one with more weight.

If you bring your GPAs to at least 3.2, get at least a 21AA on the retake, and have at least 100hrs of shadowing then youll have a reasonable chance of getting in at 1-3 schools as long as you apply broadly to the right schools. I recommend buying the 2014 ADEA dental guide book, it'll help a lot.

3.36 overall, 3.48 BCP, 18AA 19TS 22oc, 18gc, 17 bio, 17rc, 18qr, 23pat and I had 6 pre dec invites 2 post dec invites and was accepted dec 2nd. this site blows things wayyyyyy overboard. You will be fine

Wow, congrats! That's awesome. Definitely gives me some hope :) If you don't mind me asking, which schools did you apply to?

You're fine. I got a 19AA, 16QR, 18TS with 3.1 sGPA and got 6 interviews and accepted on dec 2nd. It's all about applying to the right schools.

Hambone556, that's really awesome, congratulations to you as well! Hearing there are other people out there who were in the same boat as me and has made it gives me encouragement to keep on pursuing my dream. Which schools did you apply, if you don't mind me asking ?

PAT 20
RC 20
Bio 20
Gen. Chem 18
Orgo 19
TS 19
AA 19

Hey! We have very similar DAT scores. You're one or 2 points higher in some cases and one or 2 points lower in others, but same AA and TS. My GPA was a bit higher than yours. I didn't even decide to apply last year until about this time, and I didn't take the DAT/apply until mid-July. I applied to 15 schools and still had 8 interview invites and was accepted on December 2/3. To be honest, your scores are fine, especially if you have other experience (GBD and other extracurriculars). If you really feel like you need to retake it in July, then do so. Applying in mid-July will not hurt you, that's still early. Do you have the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools? If so, just make sure you apply to schools where your scores fit, and apply to one or two stretch schools if you really want!

BEST OF LUCK! :luck:

Is it ever a good idea to actually aim for and expect a 23? It just seems unreasonable to aim for the 99th%.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Is it ever a good idea to actually aim for and expect a 23? It just seems unreasonable to aim for the 99th%.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Why not? If you're studying a ton and taking practice exams with scores in the 20s, then there is no reason why you shouldn't expect a score of 23+. If your practice scores are in the teens, then there is no reason to expect an actual score of 21, 22, or 23+. It all depends on the amount of preparation you put into the exam.

Posted using SDN Mobile
Dude I was aiming for a 25AA (100%ile) and I fully expected to get it. If the cold didnt get to me (who blasts the air conditioner in the middle of winter? folks at my prometric site thats who; I wore a sweater too) I wouldnt have bombed the QR section, arguably the easiest section, and gotten a 20; in the month leading up to the test I consistently scored above 26, often 30, for all the QR practice exams/questions I did. So yeah it's not a bad idea to aim high; at worst, assuming youre not delusional of what your capable of, youll score close to what you aimed for.

Posted using SDN Mobile
Well, I was aiming for a 30. But I got a 23 on the AA instead.