Just Wanted Opinions About Prioritizing

Started by Fishey
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Fishey

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! I'm so indecisive sometimes.. So I've been volunteering at this emergency vet hospital during the summer and it's been great! I love it there - I've gotten some great experience. I'm volunteering there practically most days of the weeks for rather long hours.

However, I also got called back for an interview at a retail store where I really want to work just because they sell things that interest me and I do need money. I also don't have any official work experience either so I thought it would be great to get some work experience but it has nothing to do with animals.

I really want to do both however the retail position requires me to be able to work Friday and Saturday afternoons AKA the days the vet hospital is busiest. I'm also going to be taking one summer class (something pretty easy - history) so I don't know if I have the time to do everything I want to do. I don't want to risk losing potential emergency/vet experiences but I also don't want to lose the option of work experience/money.

This is all happening this summer. I mean I don't even know if I would get the job in the first place, so should I just interview with the retail store and just see what happens? Do you think I can manage juggling volunteering, work, and a class?
Ultimately, I'll make the decision but I just wanted to hear your opinions. Sorry, it's kind of silly. Much appreciated <3
 
Last edited:
Well I definitely think you should see if you even get the job. 🙂 That's a first step.

But you said you've been volunteering at the vet hospital most days of the week. So couldn't you still do this job, and then volunteer on the off times. Especially if the class you are taking is on the easier side.

Honestly, you're the only one who knows if you'll be able to handle all three this summer, but if the vet hospital will let you schedule your time around your work schedule, I don't see it as being THAT difficult.
 
Well I definitely think you should see if you even get the job. 🙂 That's a first step.

But you said you've been volunteering at the vet hospital most days of the week. So couldn't you still do this job, and then volunteer on the off times. Especially if the class you are taking is on the easier side.

Honestly, you're the only one who knows if you'll be able to handle all three this summer, but if the vet hospital will let you schedule your time around your work schedule, I don't see it as being THAT difficult.
That's true. I'm just worried about missing out on emergency vet experience those days I work since Fridays and Saturdays are days that are ideal for me to volunteer during the evening shift. But you're right. I'm the only one who knows if I can manage all three things so I'm definitely still thinking about this. Thank you for your opinion <3
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you really need money it should be an easy answer...paid work > volunteer work. Doesn't mean you gotta quit but you can cut back. Is it also a crazy suggestion to say that you could keep volunteering and look for a paid position at a clinic instead of a retail job?
 
If you really need money it should be an easy answer...paid work > volunteer work. Doesn't mean you gotta quit but you can cut back. Is it also a crazy suggestion to say that you could keep volunteering and look for a paid position at a clinic instead of a retail job?
That would be very ideal. Well the volunteering thing I'm doing now is a result from applying for a vet assistant position and not ending up not getting it because I can only work during summer and winter breaks. However one of the vets told me he would add me to the employee list in a few days when I learn more but another vet told me he couldn't hire me because I only work half of the year. So I have no idea if the vet hospital will hire me or not since everyone is giving me conflicting messages. I feel like many vet hospitals/clinics want people working year-round instead of only summer and winter breaks so that makes it extra difficult 🙁.
You have a great point. Thanks for your opinion <3
 
That would be very ideal. Well the volunteering thing I'm doing now is a result from applying for a vet assistant position and not ending up not getting it because I can only work during summer and winter breaks. However one of the vets told me he would add me to the employee list in a few days when I learn more but another vet told me he couldn't hire me because I only work half of the year. So I have no idea if the vet hospital will hire me or not since everyone is giving me conflicting messages. I feel like many vet hospitals/clinics want people working year-round instead of only summer and winter breaks so that makes it extra difficult 🙁.
You have a great point. Thanks for your opinion <3

For sure. Yeah I can buy that, and it can be tough to find those jobs depending on where you're located. Definitely give it a shot though; keep trying at your place and use your connections and maybe someone can hook you up elsewhere. You might have more luck for scoring seasonal positions with larger clinics too. The practice I worked at during undergrad usually had a couple students coming and going during summer and winter break.
 
That would be very ideal. Well the volunteering thing I'm doing now is a result from applying for a vet assistant position and not ending up not getting it because I can only work during summer and winter breaks. However one of the vets told me he would add me to the employee list in a few days when I learn more but another vet told me he couldn't hire me because I only work half of the year. So I have no idea if the vet hospital will hire me or not since everyone is giving me conflicting messages. I feel like many vet hospitals/clinics want people working year-round instead of only summer and winter breaks so that makes it extra difficult 🙁.
You have a great point. Thanks for your opinion <3

Ugh, I am having the same struggle. It is incredibly hard to find a veterinary job just for the summer, even when you're experienced. I too will likely be taking a crappy retail job just for the money and volunteering at a clinic instead.

I know you said that you'd miss out on the busiest days in the clinic if you took the job, but are the slower days really that slow? Often it's nice to be at the clinic on a quieter day because the vets are more willing to explain cases to you since they don't need to rush right off to get started on the next one. You can also ask the techs or assistants to show you how to do things without feeling like you're interrupting them. A lot of the clinics I have been in kept practice sets of things like fluid lines, catheters, bandages, etc that the students could learn on when things were slow. Maybe you can ask if they have something similar you can use on the quiet days. Just food for thought.

Also, offering to help out with the less savory jobs like cleaning kennels when it's slow will earn you some bonus points if you're hoping to get hired by this clinic some day. 🙂
 
Ugh, I am having the same struggle. It is incredibly hard to find a veterinary job just for the summer, even when you're experienced. I too will likely be taking a crappy retail job just for the money and volunteering at a clinic instead.

I know you said that you'd miss out on the busiest days in the clinic if you took the job, but are the slower days really that slow? Often it's nice to be at the clinic on a quieter day because the vets are more willing to explain cases to you since they don't need to rush right off to get started on the next one. You can also ask the techs or assistants to show you how to do things without feeling like you're interrupting them. A lot of the clinics I have been in kept practice sets of things like fluid lines, catheters, bandages, etc that the students could learn on when things were slow. Maybe you can ask if they have something similar you can use on the quiet days. Just food for thought.

Also, offering to help out with the less savory jobs like cleaning kennels when it's slow will earn you some bonus points if you're hoping to get hired by this clinic some day. 🙂
It feels nice knowing someone else is going through the same issue. Not like I want you to struggle or anything but..you know what I mean 🙂. Your input really helped, thank you so much. I definitely will continue with volunteering and learning as much as I can whether I get a job there or not.
I just interviewed with the retail store and they told me I can work 2-3 days a week which would be great! I hope I get called back for a second interview. But I decided to just go hard or go home. Might as well take on as much as I can when I have the most time to practice time management/prioritizing, right? 😀