Just wondering...

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by tisusa, Jan 7, 2009.

1. tisusa

Medical Student
    how much does the program directors know about you when you are interviewing? for instance, if you applied to other specialty, will they know that? do they know the number of interviews you got?
    :confused:

2. forfinity08

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My impression is that they do not know those kind of details, what they get is basically the same application you can print off ERAS. That being said, I know in many instances there is friendly chat that happens amongst PD's in different fields, and I guess it is plausible that the same applicant's name is mentioned, albeit pretty unlikely. In regards to how many interviews you get, none of them know this (I have been asked though) but I think that an experienced PD can pretty much guess if you've gotten a lot or only a few.
    But then again, what do I know, I'm only a med student.

3. EM_Rebuilder

EM_Rebuilder Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I dont think they get that info from ERAS. If you interview at two different departments in the same house, its certainly possible they talk, although I think that is VERY unlikely. One, I dont think many PDs just hang out with others in different departments...and there are other things to talk about than the M4 they just interviewed... Just my 0.02 as a resident...

I think they are only going to know what you tell them or what they ask you about. If asked, I would certainly be honest about it. I interviewed at like 12 EM progams..one place asked where I interviewed at and wrote them all down. I thought that was a bit tacky of them and actually did not rank them on my list.. several other reasons besides that one...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...