You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Kaiser Psychology Post Doc Drug Screen
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
On the typical UDS form there will be a spot to list your medications. The labs can account for meds you are taking. They can screen in/out other metabolites so there isn't a false positive. It should be a minor issue at most since many ppl are on some type of medication, so this is a common inquiry for them.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On the typical UDS form there will be a spot to list your medications. The labs can account for meds you are taking. They can screen in/out other metabolites so there isn't a false positive. It should be a minor issue at most since many ppl are on some type of medication, so this is a common inquiry for them.
Thank you, but I’ve been burned before on these prescriptions and missed opportunities regardless of listing my medication. I don’t want to give too much info about it. Still curious about what happens and when.
So, you're concerned that your system won't be clear of any traces of your "medication" in two weeks and you've been "burned before" by disclosing it? It's cannabis, isn't it?
They can't and won't discriminate against you for medications you've been legally prescribed, but cannabis doesn't necessarily fall into this category, because it's still federally illegal.
They can't and won't discriminate against you for medications you've been legally prescribed, but cannabis doesn't necessarily fall into this category, because it's still federally illegal.
I would be interested if there is any documented benefit from pre-employment drug screens at this level of training/education. Also, do places actually care about marijuana in your system? Besides it being technically illegal Federally and in some states.
One of my parents works in an industry where a large percentage of people have PhDs, and people are literally fired/walked out under supervision immediately for any positive drug screen. So, yes, they care.I would be interested if there is any documented benefit from pre-employment drug screens at this level of training/education. Also, do places actually care about marijuana in your system? Besides it being technically illegal Federally and in some states.
But what do they care about exactly?One of my parents works in an industry where a large percentage of people have PhDs, and people are literally fired/walked out under supervision immediately for any positive drug screen. So, yes, they care.
Why not just call HR anonymously, not tell them you’re applying specifically to psych but are a perspective new employee (I imagine they contract with a standard company across all employees for testing), and ask for the company stance on the issue given that you have a legitimate prescription? If not we are all just speculating as we don’t know their specific policy. I imagine it may vary by company?
To the OP or anyone with knowledge, which medications would look like a drug on a screen?
I've been told that bupropion can, but personally it's never been an issue. If bupropion can show up positive, I would speculate that ADHD stimulants might also. A bit of time perusing Erowid would probably answer that question and be entertaining.To the OP or anyone with knowledge, which medications would look like a drug on a screen?
ETA: Also a lot of cold meds (e.g., sudafed, cough syrups) according to my dad, who won't risk taking these even when he clearly needs them because apparently (and thankfully) nuclear power plants don't mess around with their random drug tests. It's not worth the paperwork and inconvenience to take a sudafed.
Last edited:
C'mon, it's so clearly cannabis. It's really the only thing that would have a long-enough half-life to be detectable for that long and cause employment problems for OP.
Since OP is a psychologist and not, say, a big rig truck driver or fork lift operator (i.e., you don't really have to worry about any medication usage creating safety issues), it's really the only thing that wouldn't be explainable and legally protected under the ADA. E.g., if they popped a false positive for amphetamines for using stimulants for ADHD, all they'd have to do is produce the legal prescription and/or a note from their prescriber. The employer could accept the prescription/note at face value or do a second more expensive test with better sensitivity and specificity.
Since OP is a psychologist and not, say, a big rig truck driver or fork lift operator (i.e., you don't really have to worry about any medication usage creating safety issues), it's really the only thing that wouldn't be explainable and legally protected under the ADA. E.g., if they popped a false positive for amphetamines for using stimulants for ADHD, all they'd have to do is produce the legal prescription and/or a note from their prescriber. The employer could accept the prescription/note at face value or do a second more expensive test with better sensitivity and specificity.
Maybe it has something to do with accepting government funds through Medicare and Medicaid or maybe it has something to do with DEA regulations for prescribing providers.But what do they care about exactly?
ADHD meds do show up in drug screen; however, when mine showed up the lab called to ask if I am legally prescribed the medication and asked for my pharmacy's and physician's information to verify. Once verified they did not disclose it to the employer because it was legally prescribed.
Exactly. Kaiser isn't going to endanger themselves by discriminating against a new hire for using a legitimate prescription, that's why it has to be cannabis.ADHD meds do show up in drug screen; however, when mine showed up the lab called to ask if I am legally prescribed the medication and asked for my pharmacy's and physician's information to verify. Once verified they did not disclose it to the employer because it was legally prescribed.
These 15 Medications Can Cause a False Positive on Drug TestsTo the OP or anyone with knowledge, which medications would look like a drug on a screen?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would imagine much of that caring is related to insurance policies, liability, and the appearance of caring, but yeah, same result.One of my parents works in an industry where a large percentage of people have PhDs, and people are literally fired/walked out under supervision immediately for any positive drug screen. So, yes, they care.
Yikes! Ibuprofen made the list? This includes so many commonly used drugs/medications that it could potentially render tons of false positives. I'm surprised that drug tests would be that sensitive and lack specificity to such a high degree. That's concerning if it's accurate.
I'm pretty sure that list is not for all drug screens. It's likely just the cheapest urinalysis tests, which are used as initial screeners despite their poor specificity, because they are significantly cheaper than the more specific ones. This is why they'll often perform a stepped-testing model and only use more specific tests if someone tests positive.Yikes! Ibuprofen made the list? This includes so many commonly used drugs/medications that it could potentially render tons of false positives. I'm surprised that drug tests would be that sensitive and lack specificity to such a high degree. That's concerning if it's accurate.
There's lots of variability in the type of test and the sample used (e.g., urine vs. blood vs. saliva vs. hair).
I was wondering about this, as well.. I take both Adderall and bupropion.
There is no reason you should be denied a position if you provide a copy of your prescriptions to the testing facility. You can appeal any results that you have a matching script for without issue and if you are denied a position you have a strong case for a lawsuit, unless it's marijuana, in which case you're SOL because it's still illegal at the federal level (and even if it weren't, employers are given latitude in regard to tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana).Thank you, but I’ve been burned before on these prescriptions and missed opportunities regardless of listing my medication. I don’t want to give too much info about it. Still curious about what happens and when.
Interestingly, my brother just got a job for a healthcare company (not providing clinical services) and his drug test is using a hair sample. I'm wondering if this is becoming more commonplace.
Interestingly, my brother just got a job for a healthcare company (not providing clinical services) and his drug test is using a hair sample. I'm wondering if this is becoming more commonplace.
Most likely not because of the cost. I guess if it’s a higher level position....maybe, but a UDS is likely $30-$50, depending on the panel being tested and the overall volume of people sent to the lab. A hair follicle test is $100+. It can go well into the hundreds, depending on what you screen for. I’m not sure if there is a volume discount, as i’ve only seen them done for high level positions.
I wonder if it's because of the longer testing timeframe... around 90 days for most substances, right?Most likely not because of the cost. I guess if it’s a higher level position....maybe, but a UDS is likely $30-$50, depending on the panel being tested and the overall volume of people sent to the lab. A hair follicle test is $100+. It can go well into the hundreds, depending on what you screen for. I’m not sure if there is a volume discount, as i’ve only seen them done for high level positions.
Interestingly, my brother just got a job for a healthcare company (not providing clinical services) and his drug test is using a hair sample. I'm wondering if this is becoming more commonplace.
I have to ask what if the person was bald? I know it sounds silly but plenty of men are.
Apparently they shave a patch of hair from your arm or leg. He’s not getting an upper level position or anything. Perhaps they have an in-house lab to make it cheaper? I found it all kind of amazing.
They do screen and they have withdrawn offers. However, your evidence of current prescriptions would make a case for an appeal if there was a positive finding.Hi all. I've been interviewing at Kaisers and was informed that after UND, if offered the job, the HR department will reach out and we'll need to do a drug screen within 48 hours. I was floored by this. I have prescription medications that can cause false positives so I normally stop those and had planned to, but I assumed that the drug screen would be closer to the actual date the post doc starts. Now I'm worried I won't be clear in 2 weeks if I do get the offer. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for the HR department to reach out/how long after receiving the offer I'd have until the drug screen? Anyone with past experience? If so, which specific Kaiser's? Any information is appreciated!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 1K