Kaiser Psychology Post Doc Drug Screen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychologistChico

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
On the typical UDS form there will be a spot to list your medications. The labs can account for meds you are taking. They can screen in/out other metabolites so there isn't a false positive. It should be a minor issue at most since many ppl are on some type of medication, so this is a common inquiry for them.

Reactions: 1 users
Why not just warn them of this possibility ahead of time? If it's prescription drugs causing the potential false positives, you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the typical UDS form there will be a spot to list your medications. The labs can account for meds you are taking. They can screen in/out other metabolites so there isn't a false positive. It should be a minor issue at most since many ppl are on some type of medication, so this is a common inquiry for them.

Thank you, but I’ve been burned before on these prescriptions and missed opportunities regardless of listing my medication. I don’t want to give too much info about it. Still curious about what happens and when.

So, you're concerned that your system won't be clear of any traces of your "medication" in two weeks and you've been "burned before" by disclosing it? It's cannabis, isn't it?

They can't and won't discriminate against you for medications you've been legally prescribed, but cannabis doesn't necessarily fall into this category, because it's still federally illegal.

I would be interested if there is any documented benefit from pre-employment drug screens at this level of training/education. Also, do places actually care about marijuana in your system? Besides it being technically illegal Federally and in some states.

I would be interested if there is any documented benefit from pre-employment drug screens at this level of training/education. Also, do places actually care about marijuana in your system? Besides it being technically illegal Federally and in some states.
One of my parents works in an industry where a large percentage of people have PhDs, and people are literally fired/walked out under supervision immediately for any positive drug screen. So, yes, they care.

One of my parents works in an industry where a large percentage of people have PhDs, and people are literally fired/walked out under supervision immediately for any positive drug screen. So, yes, they care.
But what do they care about exactly?

Why not just call HR anonymously, not tell them you’re applying specifically to psych but are a perspective new employee (I imagine they contract with a standard company across all employees for testing), and ask for the company stance on the issue given that you have a legitimate prescription? If not we are all just speculating as we don’t know their specific policy. I imagine it may vary by company?

To the OP or anyone with knowledge, which medications would look like a drug on a screen?

To the OP or anyone with knowledge, which medications would look like a drug on a screen?
I've been told that bupropion can, but personally it's never been an issue. If bupropion can show up positive, I would speculate that ADHD stimulants might also. A bit of time perusing Erowid would probably answer that question and be entertaining.

ETA: Also a lot of cold meds (e.g., sudafed, cough syrups) according to my dad, who won't risk taking these even when he clearly needs them because apparently (and thankfully) nuclear power plants don't mess around with their random drug tests. It's not worth the paperwork and inconvenience to take a sudafed.

Last edited:
C'mon, it's so clearly cannabis. It's really the only thing that would have a long-enough half-life to be detectable for that long and cause employment problems for OP.

Since OP is a psychologist and not, say, a big rig truck driver or fork lift operator (i.e., you don't really have to worry about any medication usage creating safety issues), it's really the only thing that wouldn't be explainable and legally protected under the ADA. E.g., if they popped a false positive for amphetamines for using stimulants for ADHD, all they'd have to do is produce the legal prescription and/or a note from their prescriber. The employer could accept the prescription/note at face value or do a second more expensive test with better sensitivity and specificity.

But what do they care about exactly?
Maybe it has something to do with accepting government funds through Medicare and Medicaid or maybe it has something to do with DEA regulations for prescribing providers.

ADHD meds do show up in drug screen; however, when mine showed up the lab called to ask if I am legally prescribed the medication and asked for my pharmacy's and physician's information to verify. Once verified they did not disclose it to the employer because it was legally prescribed.

Members don't see this ad :)
ADHD meds do show up in drug screen; however, when mine showed up the lab called to ask if I am legally prescribed the medication and asked for my pharmacy's and physician's information to verify. Once verified they did not disclose it to the employer because it was legally prescribed.
Exactly. Kaiser isn't going to endanger themselves by discriminating against a new hire for using a legitimate prescription, that's why it has to be cannabis.

I would imagine much of that caring is related to insurance policies, liability, and the appearance of caring, but yeah, same result.

Yikes! Ibuprofen made the list? This includes so many commonly used drugs/medications that it could potentially render tons of false positives. I'm surprised that drug tests would be that sensitive and lack specificity to such a high degree. That's concerning if it's accurate.
I'm pretty sure that list is not for all drug screens. It's likely just the cheapest urinalysis tests, which are used as initial screeners despite their poor specificity, because they are significantly cheaper than the more specific ones. This is why they'll often perform a stepped-testing model and only use more specific tests if someone tests positive.

There's lots of variability in the type of test and the sample used (e.g., urine vs. blood vs. saliva vs. hair).

I was wondering about this, as well.. I take both Adderall and bupropion.

Thank you, but I’ve been burned before on these prescriptions and missed opportunities regardless of listing my medication. I don’t want to give too much info about it. Still curious about what happens and when.
There is no reason you should be denied a position if you provide a copy of your prescriptions to the testing facility. You can appeal any results that you have a matching script for without issue and if you are denied a position you have a strong case for a lawsuit, unless it's marijuana, in which case you're SOL because it's still illegal at the federal level (and even if it weren't, employers are given latitude in regard to tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana).

Interestingly, my brother just got a job for a healthcare company (not providing clinical services) and his drug test is using a hair sample. I'm wondering if this is becoming more commonplace.

Most likely not because of the cost. I guess if it’s a higher level position....maybe, but a UDS is likely $30-$50, depending on the panel being tested and the overall volume of people sent to the lab. A hair follicle test is $100+. It can go well into the hundreds, depending on what you screen for. I’m not sure if there is a volume discount, as i’ve only seen them done for high level positions.

Most likely not because of the cost. I guess if it’s a higher level position....maybe, but a UDS is likely $30-$50, depending on the panel being tested and the overall volume of people sent to the lab. A hair follicle test is $100+. It can go well into the hundreds, depending on what you screen for. I’m not sure if there is a volume discount, as i’ve only seen them done for high level positions.
I wonder if it's because of the longer testing timeframe... around 90 days for most substances, right?

Interestingly, my brother just got a job for a healthcare company (not providing clinical services) and his drug test is using a hair sample. I'm wondering if this is becoming more commonplace.

I have to ask what if the person was bald? I know it sounds silly but plenty of men are.

Hi all. I've been interviewing at Kaisers and was informed that after UND, if offered the job, the HR department will reach out and we'll need to do a drug screen within 48 hours. I was floored by this. I have prescription medications that can cause false positives so I normally stop those and had planned to, but I assumed that the drug screen would be closer to the actual date the post doc starts. Now I'm worried I won't be clear in 2 weeks if I do get the offer. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for the HR department to reach out/how long after receiving the offer I'd have until the drug screen? Anyone with past experience? If so, which specific Kaiser's? Any information is appreciated!
They do screen and they have withdrawn offers. However, your evidence of current prescriptions would make a case for an appeal if there was a positive finding.