Kansas c/o 2015 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you 2015ers end up creating a Facebook page, will someone let me know? I'm renting rooms in my house, and I'm hoping to infiltrate your social networking group in search of tenants :)

I did try to make one, but couldn't complete it because (so sad...) I don't have any FB friends who are in my class. I'm an OS student, so I don't know anyone in Kansas. If anyone in the class of 15 wants me to start a FB page, PM me, and I'll friend request you and get a page started. I think that's all it'll take. :)

**My sister's dental school class of 15 has a FB page already, and they're having a blast! She even found someone with the same first and last name, which will be interesting during clinical when patients start making requests... haha...

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know if kansas grading is spread across several midterms and one final?

anyone know if kansas grading is spread across several midterms and one final?

When I was there, we were told that they have weekly (friday) tests and weekly (monday) quizzes plus finals. (maybe a midterm as well??). However, maybe one of the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year students can confirm?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

I have started a FB page for the class of 2015, but it looks like there's a bug on FB, and the group is not showing up in searches right away (at least for me).

The name is:

Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2015

It's kinda long, but this is what the class of 2014 did.

Go here:

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_180363355342968

to join the FB group!

Please spread the word to other people who are in our class.

Thanks!

Last edited:
When I was there, we were told that they have weekly (friday) tests and weekly (monday) quizzes plus finals. (maybe a midterm as well??). However, maybe one of the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year students can confirm?

There usually is one exam every Fri, although there are a few Fri with two exams. Electives usually have 2 exams per semester, and they are done during the regular class time. So you might have 2 core exams on a Fri morning, and then if you have the Fri afternoon elective, maybe an exam there as well. Overall the exam schedule is not too bad, most weeks you'll only have the one on Fri. Quizzes depends on the class. Some have no quizzes, but Gross II this semester has a small lab quiz every 2-3 lab sessions. Most of us generally prefer that to Gross I last semester, where we had one HUGE lab exam about every month, with various body parts spread out all over the lab. The core classes usually have 2-3 exams each semster, plus a final. You can (and many of us do) fail an exam or two, and still pass the class. As long as you can make it up on the other exams or various minor points opportunities (group assignments, papers, etc.) to get keep your average for each class above 69.5, you're OK. Not a comfortable position to be in, but you survive. Second year, they do raise the bar, so you need at least a 75 to be considered passing.

As far as tuition, for OOS, yeah figure on about $42K a year, so almost $170K for the 4 years. It will vary a little depending on what electives you are taking, if you're doing one of the mentorships that semester, etc. And def plan on it going up each semester. IS I think is generally about half what they screw oops I mean charge OOS students for.

There usually is one exam every Fri, although there are a few Fri with two exams. Electives usually have 2 exams per semester, and they are done during the regular class time. So you might have 2 core exams on a Fri morning, and then if you have the Fri afternoon elective, maybe an exam there as well. Overall the exam schedule is not too bad, most weeks you'll only have the one on Fri. Quizzes depends on the class. Some have no quizzes, but Gross II this semester has a small lab quiz every 2-3 lab sessions. Most of us generally prefer that to Gross I last semester, where we had one HUGE lab exam about every month, with various body parts spread out all over the lab. The core classes usually have 2-3 exams each semster, plus a final. You can (and many of us do) fail an exam or two, and still pass the class. As long as you can make it up on the other exams or various minor points opportunities (group assignments, papers, etc.) to get keep your average for each class above 69.5, you're OK. Not a comfortable position to be in, but you survive. Second year, they do raise the bar, so you need at least a 75 to be considered passing.

As far as tuition, for OOS, yeah figure on about $42K a year, so almost $170K for the 4 years. It will vary a little depending on what electives you are taking, if you're doing one of the mentorships that semester, etc. And def plan on it going up each semester. IS I think is generally about half what they screw oops I mean charge OOS students for.

Thanks! This is really helpful. It's Spring Break there right now, right? I hope you're having a great time. :) Do most of you go to the AVMA conference? I know this year is in St. Louis MO, so it's not too far away. I'm thinking about going myself, but guests can't go to many of the cont ed lectures, which is what I'm mostly interested in seeing. When did you sign up for the SAVMA, or it automatic for all new students? I'll be using their health insurance plan, so the sooner the better. :) Thanks for all of your help LunaJett

They're starting to get your pictures up on the website!

http://www.vet.k-state.edu/handbook/students/composites.asp?class=2015

I don't think many students go to the AVMA convention, since its during the summer when we're on break/at home/doing externships/on clinics. A large group of us will be at SAVMA symposium this weekend in Davis.

I don't think you can become a SAVMA member until classes start in the fall and you pay your dues

Hey everyone!

Congratulations to those of you who have received acceptances!

If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me. I'll also be here all summer so if you need help moving in or just want to talk to someone. Its a big transition, but very exciting!

I know it can be hard to ask questions to someone you don't know at all, so here is a little bit about me (and therefore the things I can talk to you about): I'm a KSU CVM c/o 2014. I live in a mobile home (totally worth it btw), work in the large animal ICU, am married, and am active in SCAABP, Theriogenology Club, and the Bovine Palpation Team. I am also OOS and was a no-degree applicant. And I'll be working on an MPH with my DVM.

Does anyone know if you can apply for IS tuition at KSU after a year?

Also, how many more OOS seats are there to fill? (I'm looking at the class pics they have up)

Also, how many more OOS seats are there to fill? (I'm looking at the class pics they have up)

If you're out of state, you're out of state for all 4 years. You even sign a paper saying that you acknowledge that you will be paying OOS tuition for all 4 years.

As far as the number of spots for OOS, I don't remember the exact number but I think it's around 55. Hope that this helps (and is close!)

BuggerDoodle is right, we have to sign an agreement to pay OOS all four years :(

I think there are over 60 OOS people in my class, but I think they ended up with a larger class size than they intended (i.e. more people accepted offers than expected). As for how many seats there are left this year, that's certainly still up in the air. The photos they have up are probably those of people who have sent in their paperwork, but since it's still before the deadline there are probably others who haven't officially accepted their seat yet... and then there is the musical chairs game that occurs when people start being called off waitlists at other schools.

Hi all!! My name is Liz Thompson and I am a second year at K-state. I have 1 bedroom available starting august 1st in a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom modern home in a quiet neighborhood 2 miles from the vet school. Myself and another vet student Rachel currently live here, and the rent is 400/month + 1/3 utilities. All appliances are in the home including washer/dryer/dishwasher etc. No pets are allowed because there are 2 dogs who permanently reside here, but they have a fenced in backyard with a deck and a doggie door. Please email me at [email protected] if you would like more info/pictures!

Members don't see this ad :)
The vet school open too, with tours?

Yup. Tours and a Q and A for prospective students. Most of the clubs will have booths and a lot of the students will be running both the club booths and just fun booths for the kids that are from the area (like an anatomy booth and a race through the GI tract booth and a dog on a treadmill booth.)

Does anyone know where I can buy a KSU CVM decal? I found a site for buying shirts, sweatshirts, etc, but I'd really like a decal and I'm not finding one.

I've bought my decals through the vet school bookstore. I'm not sure you can do it through the internet, though. I'm sure that you could find someone willing to pick one up and mail one to you, though.

Has anyone gotten accepted off the waitlist yet? Just wondering when the list starts to move/ letters go out.

I thought I had seen a couple people say they had been called off on the waitlist survivors thread at the end of last week but I'm not sure. I am hoping we all hear soon!

Yep the waitlists are now moving.....got my call last week...sorry I didn't post here yet...good luck everyone:luck:

How will we know when the class is filled? I'm still torn between KSU and Western, so I'm just trying to figure out when the "final day" for KSU would be.

How will we know when the class is filled? I'm still torn between KSU and Western, so I'm just trying to figure out when the "final day" for KSU would be.

There's no set "final day", it just depends on when they fill the class. One way to try to keep informed about how many seats are left is to check this website: http://www.vet.k-state.edu/handbook/students/composites.asp?class=2015

It shows the pictures of the confirmed students for C/O 2015. I think they plan on having 60 OOS and 60 IS total for the class. There are 108 pictures up right now (they update it pretty often, they added 2 since this morning), which means about 12 more people to be accepted. It also lists where they're from, so you can go through and figure out how many IS vs OOS are still available.

Are they really planning on having 120 students? Our class started out with 119 and was overfull!
Not that I don't believe you, I'm just surprised.

Don't quote me but I heard it was approximately 60 OOS and 45 IS.

There's no set "final day", it just depends on when they fill the class. One way to try to keep informed about how many seats are left is to check this website: http://www.vet.k-state.edu/handbook/students/composites.asp?class=2015

It shows the pictures of the confirmed students for C/O 2015. I think they plan on having 60 OOS and 60 IS total for the class. There are 108 pictures up right now (they update it pretty often, they added 2 since this morning), which means about 12 more people to be accepted. It also lists where they're from, so you can go through and figure out how many IS vs OOS are still available.

Keep in mind, though, even once those ~120 pictures are "filled" there may be still be a few changes. As I remember last summer, there were still a few minor changes up until a couple weeks before classes started. They may have the class "finalized" and not plan on calling any more off the waitlist, but then some people get last minute calls from their IS and back out, or get cold feet, or can't get their loans sorted out or whatever. I wouldn't want to keep false hope alive, but if you're on the waitlist it's really hard to say any drop-dead date because things do just happen and the last thing the admin wants is to lose out on tuition due to empty seats.

We started out with I think 119-120, and I heard some rumors this year that they want to continue growing the class up to like 130 or something. They had added new desks around the periphery of the anatomy lab, and those were not all filled this year. It definitely gets crowded, but they have clearly made more space so given the demand I could see them fitting a few more students in.

I have this issue that could become something great. After weeks of research, my soon-to-be-roommate found a really cute/clean nice 4 bedroom (duplex) that is well taken care of and equal in size for the bedrooms for everyone. However, we've ended up with 5-6 people from our 2015 Vet Class that are interested. My roommate spoke with the management companies contact and he said we could have both sides of the duplex. There is a huge fenced yard (this is what sold me), pets (big dogs) allowed, the bedrooms are 12x12, it has a patio for outside grilling, it's on east side of campus 1.5 miles from stadium, it really is beautiful. Please email me and I can get you pictures & the application to get to the management. The rent is right around $400 per person, depending on pets or no pets. But we are supposed to get some deal if we have the 8 people. Please contact me right away if you are interested! PM me or e-mail me at [email protected]

Hi guys,

I wanted to let those of you on the waitlist know that I withdrew my OPS position for the fall today. I loved K-State when I interviewed but got into a school much closer to family and friends off the waitlist and am going to attend there instead. Hopefully one of you will get my spot and the happy phone call soon.

Can anyone confirm this?

Earlier I said I thought it was 60 OOS and 60 IS....not sure where I got that number from. I just checked, and I wrote down at the pizza party that they plan on having about 60 OOS, 45 IS, and 5 contract seats for North Dakota.
That could totally be wrong, but it's what I have written down so it's the best guess I've got.
From the pictures on the website, I'm counting 5 North Dakota spots filled, 44 IS spots, and 60 OOS spots filled

I asked one of the first year professors and they said that the goal is 112. As for the divisions, I do not know.

I just wanted to let you all know that I just got called off the waitlist, so it's not totally full yet. I am not entirely sure what I am doing yet; I also got into my IS and have a deposit there. I have to make my decision quick and that is stressful! I'll keep you updated.

Got the call from Dr. Elmore. I was dead set on going to MSU but I think KSU may be a better fit for me. Looking forward to moving to Manhattan.

I declined on 05/07 in favor of going to my IS... looks like Sunnyshine got the spot! Congrats! I love, love, love KSU but just decided that I couldn't justify the extra cost.

I have a few questions and I was wondering if a current K-State student might be able to help me out.

1. My apt at college heights is less than a mile away from the vet school, grocery stores, and other things that I would need. Is Manhattan a place where I could get away with just being a pedestrian and walking everywhere or is a car pretty much a definite?

2. My laptop recently died and I know that I will be getting a new one in the fall when I start classes. Is the computer I will get one that I could use for itunes/movies in addition to school work or is the computer provided by the school more or less designed just for school?

3. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about college heights apartments.

I give my thanks to anyone who can help. Your advice is worth its weight in gold!

I have a few questions and I was wondering if a current K-State student might be able to help me out.

1. My apt at college heights is less than a mile away from the vet school, grocery stores, and other things that I would need. Is Manhattan a place where I could get away with just being a pedestrian and walking everywhere or is a car pretty much a definite?

2. My laptop recently died and I know that I will be getting a new one in the fall when I start classes. Is the computer I will get one that I could use for itunes/movies in addition to school work or is the computer provided by the school more or less designed just for school?

3. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about college heights apartments.

I give my thanks to anyone who can help. Your advice is worth its weight in gold!

1. You will definitely need a car. :)
2. Your computer should be fine for itunes, movies, etc. I think they're still doing Fujitsu Lifebooks (not sure what model #).
3. Not sure, but if that's over by the stadium--pretty loud-ish, I believe.

Good luck! :)

1. You will definitely need a car. :)
2. Your computer should be fine for itunes, movies, etc. I think they're still doing Fujitsu Lifebooks (not sure what model #).
3. Not sure, but if that's over by the stadium--pretty loud-ish, I believe.

Good luck! :)

Wow, thanks for the great advice! I am scrambling trying to get everything together by this Fall and I really appreciate your help. Looks like I will be visiting a dealership when I arrive :).

Wow, thanks for the great advice! I am scrambling trying to get everything together by this Fall and I really appreciate your help. Looks like I will be visiting a dealership when I arrive :).

When I interviewed at Kansas I remember a student saying he lived in the campus housing that was across the street from the vet school. If I remember correctly he said that he didn't have a car. I can imagine that being super difficult though, especially if you live anywhere else. Just remembered it and thought I'd add it!

When I interviewed at Kansas I remember a student saying he lived in the campus housing that was across the street from the vet school. If I remember correctly he said that he didn't have a car. I can imagine that being super difficult though, especially if you live anywhere else. Just remembered it and thought I'd add it!

Yup, I know who this is and 1) the housing immediately across from the vet school is expensive and allows NO pets (not even goldfish); 2) He is the only person in the school (to my knowledge) that does not have a car--out of about 450 people!; and 3) I think he was re-thinking the car situation for fourth year. :) Just FYI. Manhattan doesn't have any public transportation.

Yup, I know who this is and 1) the housing immediately across from the vet school is expensive and allows NO pets (not even goldfish); 2) He is the only person in the school (to my knowledge) that does not have a car--out of about 450 people!; and 3) I think he was re-thinking the car situation for fourth year. :) Just FYI. Manhattan doesn't have any public transportation.

Manhattan has had public transportation for years.

http://www.rileycountyks.gov/index.aspx?nid=795

Manhattan has had public transportation for years.

http://www.rileycountyks.gov/index.aspx?nid=795

A glorified taxi cab service for which you have to call to schedule a ride does not constitute "public transportation" in the same way that, say, the Blacksburg Transit (with multiple full-size buses and many complicated routes operating approximately 18 hours a day) constitutes public transportation.

At $2 each way--do you want to spend $4 a day just getting to and from school? They also stop operating at 5pm--good luck with getting class done/errands run/etc before 5pm. :) (First year you don't even get done with class until 5pm or just after.)

Update on the situation....we filled both sides of the duplex, and now one of the girls may not be coming to school in the fall due to a family situation. If anyone is still looking for housing, please see the info below and contact me if you're interested!

I have this issue that could become something great. After weeks of research, my soon-to-be-roommate found a really cute/clean nice 4 bedroom (duplex) that is well taken care of and equal in size for the bedrooms for everyone. However, we've ended up with 5-6 people from our 2015 Vet Class that are interested. My roommate spoke with the management companies contact and he said we could have both sides of the duplex. There is a huge fenced yard (this is what sold me), pets (big dogs) allowed, the bedrooms are 12x12, it has a patio for outside grilling, it's on east side of campus 1.5 miles from stadium, it really is beautiful. Please email me and I can get you pictures & the application to get to the management. The rent is right around $400 per person, depending on pets or no pets. But we are supposed to get some deal if we have the 8 people. Please contact me right away if you are interested! PM me or e-mail me at [email protected]

Just wanted to let everyone know... I got called for an acceptance off the waitlist but declined... the waitlist is STILL moving!!!!

Hey all,
I got called off the waitlist last night but declined it (Mohorse, you must have gotten my spot!) Keep the faith if you are still on the waitlist, because you might be the next one to get a call!

HELLO FELLOW CLASSMATES....I just got a call this morning informing me that a spot opened up, and that I was chosen to fill it! I of course said yes!!! I am so excited to start school...but things are pretty crazy because I JUST moved to San Diego in May for a summer internship and now I have a week to pack up and find a place to live...so if anyone has suggestions for close/safe/and pet friendly apartments, please let me know!! WOW this is so exciting :)

HELLO FELLOW CLASSMATES....I just got a call this morning informing me that a spot opened up, and that I was chosen to fill it! I of course said yes!!! I am so excited to start school...but things are pretty crazy because I JUST moved to San Diego in May for a summer internship and now I have a week to pack up and find a place to live...so if anyone has suggestions for close/safe/and pet friendly apartments, please let me know!! WOW this is so exciting :)

Congratulations! I'll see you next week at orientation.:)