Kansas c/o 2015 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my letter today notifying me that I made the alternate list. Not the best situation, but still a favorable one that I am thankful for. Does anyone know how many people usually get called off the alternate list? My letter said that a "considerable amount" are offered admission.

Members don't see this ad.

Finally got my letter today. Only made the alternate list. Pretty bummed but trying to stay positive.
Congrats to all who have been accepted already :thumbup:

Hello! I just found this website last night! I don't know why I didn't know about until now. I read all nine pages last night and worked myself into quite a panic, but I did get the acceptance just now.

Here are my details. Am I supposed to post this somewhere else too?

I have a BA in English, MS in Applied Linguistics. I teach Academic Prep ESL at a University here.
I'm doing post bac classes here in TX.
This is my first application cycle, and Kansas State was my first choice because I want to do food safety animal medicine.

I got the invitation to interview on Dec. 1 for the weekend of January 22-23. This was my only interview (I didn't apply very many places), so I guess I got lucky.

Best of luck to everyone else out there. I'm excited that I can "meet" some of my future classmates through these forums. I hope we all become great friends really soon!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Alternate as well...lets keep our fingers crossed for lots of movement into the waitlist! Congrats to those who got in!

Woohoo just got a paper cut on my finger opening the letter, but I got in! I'm so excited I could cry!! :p

Rejected. I hate this process. I feel like I didn't really have much of a chance after being pulled off the "viable applicant" list. Oh well, hopefully Western or Mississippi will show me some love.

Rejected. I hate this process. I feel like I didn't really have much of a chance after being pulled off the "viable applicant" list. Oh well, hopefully Western or Mississippi will show me some love.

I'm so sorry DVMDream...I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you for Mississippi and Western!!

I'm so sorry DVMDream. I was really hoping you would be offered admission. I've got my fingers crossed for your Western & Mississippi interviews :xf:.

I'm sorry, DVMDream, for them to get your hopes up and then quash them... BAD Kansas. Good luck on your two remaining schools. :xf::luck::xf:

UGH still no mail in Fremont, CA (for me, at least.) All we got today was a bank statement. As time goes on I am becoming more and more convinced I have been rejected. I know I can't really speculate and there remains a chance, but I keep thinking that if they didn't take Squibbs or DVMDream, they probably are not going to take me. I'm too chicken to call the school and ask, but I'm having bad dreams about my dad going out to the mail box and finding a "thin envelope" inside. Why couldn't they have used e-mail as well? The interviews were by e-mail. *grumps*

OK, to the gym to blow off some steam.

Welcome to SDN, FoodieVet! Were you accepted, or are you still waiting for your letter?

To those of you who were rejected: keep in mind that just the fact that you got an interview shows that you had a strong application. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your other schools send you happier letters. Don't get discouraged, it's still early in the game.

Those of you accepted, congratulations! I look forward to meeting some of you next fall. If you have any questions about classes, housing, Manhattan, etc. please feel free to get in touch :)

To those of you still waiting: maybe you need to stare a little harder at the mailman. If you need coaching in that skill, perhaps you should invest in a puppy (they double as excellent little anatomy study guides, too).

Yay! I was hoping you would show up soon and let us know. Congratulations!

Congrats goldielocks137:)

Thank you guys both so much! Squibby I really had my fingers crossed for you :( This application cycle, where I've been more in contact with other applicants, has made me realize just how arbitrary admission can be.

This is what I don't get about this process. Western and Kansas saw the same applications, yet I get alternate at Kansas and you get rejected, and you interviewed at Western and I haven't heard anything from Western. Two schools judge us in two very different ways!

Oh man...dumb Kansas. Sorry DVMDream.

I know I can't really speculate and there remains a chance, but I keep thinking that if they didn't take Squibbs or DVMDream, they probably are not going to take me.

Nonsense! Obviously this is all done through pulling names out of a hat!

Members don't see this ad :)

shoot. well, I know how you feel about being pulled off the "viable" list. I don't think any of us got accepted??

:(:mad::confused::thumbdown:barf:that is total:bullcrap::wtf:kansas

So sorrry

Welcome to SDN, FoodieVet! Were you accepted, or are you still waiting for your letter?

Hi Willow. I was accepted today. I've been in a dream all day even though I had to to teach some classes. :)

Thanks everyone for the support! I do appreciate it. I especially love your smilie story there vetme, that was funny.

I agree with TT, they had better accept fromthebox, or else.

Time to move on, I shall put all of my energy into my Mississippi interview this upcoming Monday.

Congrats to everyone who got an acceptance from Kansas and good luck to all the waitlisters! :luck:

Sorry to all you who didn't make it; I know how tough it can be. All I can say is remember that if you made it to the interview process, you ARE qualified, at least on paper. There is some "randomness" about the interview process - who you click with, what questions are asked, how nervous you are, the moon cycle, etc. So don't give up. I eventually came to look at my first application cycle and my three rejections as kind of a "practice" round. I learned alot from my post-mortems, took another deeper look at schools I might qualify for, and kept working my butt off for another year (finished the rest of the pre-reqs and added about 2000 hr experience) and got in my second try. And honestly, it's probably better I didn't get in my first try; while it is still a struggle, I am definitely better prepared for this now.

Like Willow said, feel free to hit me up with any questions. And a quick tip on those beginning to look for housing - the CVM does have an online "housing classifieds" section that a lot of the vet students use: http://www.vet.ksu.edu/admit/housing/index.htm. It's not necessarily *just* vet students, but generally only vet students know about it, so its a good way to hook up with other vets students for roomies.

GAH! Still no mail for me.:(
I am dying here people. It's after business in KS for the day, so I think will be calling them tomorrow morning. Wish me luck, y'all.

PS: is calling the right thing to do? Or should I e-mail / wait?

GAH! Still no mail for me.:(
I am dying here people. It's after business in KS for the day, so I think will be calling them tomorrow morning. Wish me luck, y'all.

PS: is calling the right thing to do? Or should I e-mail / wait?

I'd call. When I interviewed there I remember them saying that we should hear "during the first week of February". Since the first week of Feb is well over I vote you call!

I know it's driving you crazy, but I would wait till maybe Friday before inquiring. Remember, we did have two snow days last week that might have slowed things down here, and who knows where mail might have gotten held up heading crosscountry. What's a few more days, and I personally would rather not risk catching some one at a bad time and getting stuck in somebody's mind as "that annoying applicant."

And if you do inquire, I would just send a quick one or two sentence email. People are in and out so much, and we do so much by email, it just seems like the easier way to get things done. And then you always have a record of whatever was said. Just my $.02.

Called today.
Spoke to Marci, she said they will put another copy of my letter in the mail today. No word as to the contents and I didn't want to pry.

No way. You have such restraint!

First I'd just like to congratulate those of you who have been accepted to KSU CVM! Good job and I can't wait to meet all of you next fall. Maybe I'll be your sophomore buddy!! For those of you that got the evil letter don't be too down. Your dream will happen just maybe not in the exact path you thought it would. Don't give up.
For those of you that will be attending KSU in the fall I wanted to give you guys a heads up that I'll be subletting my room for the summer. In case any of you want to come out here earlier to get settled or to find a place for the upcoming year. I know that it was a real pain to find a place to live via Craigslist and not actually being able to look at places in person.
My room will stay furnished as well as the rest of my townhouse. My female roommate will be here all summer but she's also a KSU vet student c/0 2014 so you can pick her brain all summer about classes : ) My rent is usually $550 but it's definitely negotiable. If you guys have any questions about subletting my room or about anything send me a PM. Again, I look forward to meeting you all!

I just thought I'd let those of you who are alternates know that I got accepted to Iowa State today... I'm fairly certain that I'm going to accept my position at ISU, so hopefully one of you on the waitlist gets my position!!

I was accepted to K-State as an OOS applicant. I have been accepted to schools I would rather attend and just wanted to let you wait-listers know I will be creating room for you!!

Hi!
I'm new here.... obviously...lol.

I'm another waitlister... gulp. This is my first time applying anywhere. I applied to K-state (OOS) and Mizzou (IS). Still waiting for my MU interview, but I REALLY WANT TO GO TO KANSAS.

I'm wondering if waitlisters will be notified as soon as a spot opens up? Or do you think it will be after April 15th? And I wonder how much they overaccepted this year... Grr. Too much, too much.

Hi!
I'm new here.... obviously...lol.

I'm another waitlister... gulp. This is my first time applying anywhere. I applied to K-state (OOS) and Mizzou (IS). Still waiting for my MU interview, but I REALLY WANT TO GO TO KANSAS.

I'm wondering if waitlisters will be notified as soon as a spot opens up? Or do you think it will be after April 15th? And I wonder how much they overaccepted this year... Grr. Too much, too much.

Well good luck at your interview, and congrats on your waitlist status. I don't think that we(us Kansas waitlisters) will hear anything until after April 15th. Hopefully they didn't do too much over accepting:xf:

OK, I'm bumping this thread. Hopefully other kansanites or future kansanites will come have some discussion here to pass the time. I am going crazy because of this waiting!!!!

Topic: classes you think you will take if you don't get in for fall 2015.

I think I want to take some off topic courses like cake baking 101:laugh:

I'm also going to give up my spot. I hope one of y'all gets it!! :)

(And yes, as I recall Kansas doesn't touch the waitlist til April 15th)

I know at Florida they told us if we got put on a waitlist, in certain circumstances, they would tell us our rank. Like if we would have to pay a large deposit to go to another school but Florida was our in state or first choice, they would let us know so we could decide not to pay a deposit on another school if we were ranked very high. Do anyone know of or think Kansas would do the same? i have been thinkin about that for a while and just wanted to know if y'all had any idea.

I am pretty sure that Kansas won't give out ranks. And even if they did, there is no way I would not pay a deposit at a school that I'd already been accepted to and miss out on that spot in hopes that the waitlist moves. Even if a school has a large deposit, it is not a big deal in the grand scheme of the 120,000-200,000 dollars we will pay to go to vet school.

Thats very true, you are right. A deposit is nothing in the long run. I am just thinking into it too much :) I would definitely not give up the chance to go somewhere else by depending on a waitlist, I guess I was just hoping they would consider telling us. The anxiety is getting to me!

I can't seem to find where Kansas says how much their deposit is...does anyone know how much it is?

OH, you know what would be terrible? If you were accepted and couldn't get enough money pulled together to pay the deposit.......:eek:

The deposit is 500 dollars. Which is definitely not as expensive as some other schools that I've heard of! So that's a good thing.

And Knockout, don't stress yourself out too much. Whatever happens happens. And it will all work out!

Called today.
Spoke to Marci, she said they will put another copy of my letter in the mail today. No word as to the contents and I didn't want to pry.

Did you receive the letter?

:xf: Hoping for good news for you!

The deposit is 500 dollars. Which is definitely not as expensive as some other schools that I've heard of! So that's a good thing. QUOTE]

Ya...that doesn't sound too bad, I read somewhere that someone had a deposit that was a little over 2k:eek:

I can't seem to find where Kansas says how much their deposit is...does anyone know how much it is?

OH, you know what would be terrible? If you were accepted and couldn't get enough money pulled together to pay the deposit.......:eek:

The deposit is $500 plus another $30 for the K-State application fee. I got confirmation that they received payment, but haven't received anything else. I heard that we're going to get information about the tablet computer that we'll be receiving (usually a Fujitsu tablet) and a preview edition of OneNote, which we'll be using for class notes.

Also, if you get accepted, it might be good to start looking at housing now. I've already signed a lease on a house next to campus and aggieville, and I've heard from the "locals" that the good places go fast. :)

Just wanted to let those of you on the waitlist know that I called Friday and declined my spot, so hopefully an SDNer will get it :xf:

Also, if you get accepted, it might be good to start looking at housing now. I've already signed a lease on a house next to campus and aggieville, and I've heard from the "locals" that the good places go fast. :)

For KSU housing, don't forget to check out http://www.vet.ksu.edu/admit/housing/index.htm. This is the housing section that the CVM maintains on its website. Not limited to *just* vet students, but generally only vet students know about it so it's a good way to find housing with other vet students.

Also, a couple students in our class took the initiative to set up a Facebook group for C/O 2014 last summer. Kind of hard to get the word out to everybody, but as people searched and heard about it and spread the word, it was a good way for people to start sharing plans and meeting each other as they arrived in Manhattan over the summer. It was nice to at least feel like you know a few people before that first day.

For KSU housing, don't forget to check out http://www.vet.ksu.edu/admit/housing/index.htm. This is the housing section that the CVM maintains on its website. Not limited to *just* vet students, but generally only vet students know about it so it's a good way to find housing with other vet students.

Also, a couple students in our class took the initiative to set up a Facebook group for C/O 2014 last summer. Kind of hard to get the word out to everybody, but as people searched and heard about it and spread the word, it was a good way for people to start sharing plans and meeting each other as they arrived in Manhattan over the summer. It was nice to at least feel like you know a few people before that first day.

Thanks for the advice! My husband will be gone the first year, so I will be looking for a roommate for me and my two dogs for this coming academic year. FB might be helpful and fun, and after I move to KS I'll look into posting on the KSU CVM page you mentioned. Thanks!

If you 2015ers end up creating a Facebook page, will someone let me know? I'm renting rooms in my house, and I'm hoping to infiltrate your social networking group in search of tenants :)

Soooooo, everyone going to KSU.....Have you all found housing yet? I know there are a couple of spots just outside of town near Saint George if you don't mind 20-30 min. commute. It's only like five miles to Manhattan city limits, but morning traffic is pretty heavy on highway 24. PM me and I can get the the contact info if you want.

KSU campus was so beautiful this morning, I had to take a couple of pics! I wish I had my good camera, but all I had was my phone.

2011-03-14090830.jpg

2011-03-14090746.jpg

these were taken over by the international student building

does anyone know how much the tuition per year is? i found their page on tuition, but it just gives you the cost per unit hour. i mean...here is the curriculum and it has the hours, but i don't think the tuition varies by year, does it? i added all 4 years worth of hours, multiply by the rate, and got $44,054, which seems higher than i remember.

anyhow, if someone could shed light on this...then i would be grateful.

Last edited:
does anyone know how much the tuition per year is? i found their page on tuition, but it just gives you the cost per unit hour. i mean...here is the curriculum and it has the hours, but i don't think the tuition varies by year, does it? i added all 4 years worth of hours, multiply by the rate, and got $44,054, which seems higher than i remember.

anyhow, if someone could shed light on this...then i would be grateful.

According to "Veterinary Medical School Admission Requirements", it was $17,772 for KS residents and $40,104 for non-residents for the 2008-2009 academic year. It may have changed a little since then, but it sounds like you got it pretty close if you are OOS.

By the way, to anyone that will still be applying in the future, the VMSAR book is AWESOME! It helped me so much for this app cycle, and is put out by the AAVMC. It includes residency requirements, pre-reqs, tuition, deadlines, etc. for all the vet schools. Basically, a total breakdown of all the requirements to apply to a given school. SO worth the 30 bucks or so to get it!! :)

:luck::luck: Also, to all waitlisters, I will be taking my name off of the KSU waitlist because I got into my IS. Hope this helps someone!! :luck::luck:

In my acceptance letter the tuition and fees they listed for the 2010-2011 year is $42,169/yr. They also say there will likely be an increase in the 2011-2012 year. I just declined my offer to K-State so best wishes to everyone!!