Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Losing that many students to grades each year? That's around 4% attrition, which seems higher than average? Surely, there isn't that many each year afterwards.....

10 people leaving a class of nearly 300 first year isn't bad at all ( some probably joined the next year's class) Chances are they graduate above 90% regardless.

Members don't see this ad.

10 people leaving a class of nearly 300 first year isn't bad at all ( some probably joined the next year's class) Chances are they graduate above 90% regardless.
KCUMB has some linkage programs from some local undergraduate schools that allow students to skip their senior year of college and begin medical school... typically these are many of the students that don't end up doing well. I could be wrong, but I believe a couple of these bridge programs don't require the mcat. Skipping a year of undergrad and basically not knowing how to study correctly ends up hurting these students. Most of the students that are "held back" join the masters program and then matriculate the following year. The graduation rate (at least in the last 10 or so years) has been in the mid 90's.

I don't think KCUMB will ever have a class size of 300. Weaver auditorium was knocked down to make room for the new classrooms, so there really isn't a good spot on campus to host guest speakers/lectures, conferences, and other ceremonies. KCUMB is currently on a huge research kick, and they host a research symposium once a year that hosts speakers and students from around the country. I imagine this is why one of the rooms could potentially hold 400 students.

I asked a family friend who is an associate dean about the possibility of a nursing program. From what he knows, there's never been a plan to start a nursing school. There are already way too many nursing programs in the Kansas City area. He said the only thing he has ever heard of as far as expansion would be the start of PA program in the distant future. With only two classrooms, I can't really see this happening but who really knows.

The only reason more people would potentially be kicked out of school is that the new dean has made it very clear his emphasis is on board scores and matches. The remediation policy has become stricter on repeat offenders, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. When you have a class of 270 students, its not uncommon for a few students to drop out because of grades, health, family crisis, or the fact that maybe their heart was never in it and they decide medical school isn't for them. I would be willing the bet that almost everyone on SDN will be in the 96% that makes it through.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
KCUMB has some linkage programs from some local undergraduate schools that allow students to skip their senior year of college and begin medical school... typically these are many of the students that don't end up doing well. I could be wrong, but I believe a couple of these bridge programs don't require the mcat. Skipping a year of undergrad and basically not knowing how to study correctly ends up hurting these students. Most of the students that are "held back" join the masters program and then matriculate the following year. The graduation rate (at least in the last 10 or so years) has been in the mid 90's.

I don't think KCUMB will ever have a class size of 300. Weaver auditorium was knocked down to make room for the new classrooms, so there really isn't a good spot on campus to host guest speakers/lectures, conferences, and other ceremonies. KCUMB is currently on a huge research kick, and they host a research symposium once a year that hosts speakers and students from around the country. I imagine this is why one of the rooms could potentially hold 400 students.

I asked a family friend who is an associate dean about the possibility of a nursing program. From what he knows, there's never been a plan to start a nursing school. There are already way too many nursing programs in the Kansas City area. He said the only thing he has ever heard of as far as expansion would be the start of PA program in the distant future. With only two classrooms, I can't really see this happening but who really knows.

The only reason more people would potentially be kicked out of school is that the new dean has made it very clear his emphasis is on board scores and matches. The remediation policy has become stricter on repeat offenders, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. When you have a class of 270 students, its not uncommon for a few students to drop out because of grades, health, family crisis, or the fact that maybe their heart was never in it and they decide medical school isn't for them. I would be willing the bet that almost everyone on SDN will be in the 96% that makes it through.

I feel bad when people put so much confidence in me.

My middle school biology teacher always said I would grow up to accomplish great things.

Haha, jokes on her, I turned out stupid.

Reactions: 3 users
Stupid or not, I'm still willing to bet you graduate and you are in the top 96% of the class. Don't let me down.

God I hope I don't fail out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

There were two students in our class who came from one of the linkage programs in which you skip your senior year of college and come straight to KCUMB without taking the MCAT. One is still with us and the other has left to finish their undergrad degree. In my opinion, the MCAT was horrendous and it took me (and I'm sure you all) months of studying to net the scores we did. It seems short-sided to admit someone who hasn't gone through the discipline or 'proven their worth' so to speak with the MCAT, but that's just me. Some other reasons for students leaving include being caught cheating, caught off-campus with drugs, stalking allegations, and finding that med school just 'wasn't for me'. It seems the majority of those who leave (and there's only been about 10 total in a class of almost 300 so really not a whole lot) leave for reasons not relating to academic capability. If you've been accepted, you absolutely can get through the curriculum. Yes it's hard but it's not awful. From what I've seen, the people who leave are those who just mentally quit and find that their heart isn't in it anymore. Chances are VERY slim that that will be any of you gunner SDNer's :)

I sit in on faculty talks about the future of KCUMB and I haven't heard anything about a nursing program opening here and I'd be shocked if anything like that were in the works.

I agree with Lost Vagus that I don't think KCUMB will ever have a COM class size over 300. They are definitely trying to expand their masters programs though, especially bioethics.

Some other reasons for students leaving include being caught cheating, caught off-campus with drugs, stalking allegations, and finding that med school just 'wasn't for me'.

Yikes. I didn't know about some of these. Doesn't the whole taking tests on ipads eliminate a lot of cheating? I don't really know how you would be able to cheat in medical school. Seems like it would be more of a hassle than anything. I knew about the stalking but not about the drugs. Can you get dismissed from school for misdemeanors that happen during the school year? Be careful friends!

Yikes. I didn't know about some of these. Doesn't the whole taking tests on ipads eliminate a lot of cheating? I don't really know how you would be able to cheat in medical school. Seems like it would be more of a hassle than anything. I knew about the stalking but not about the drugs. Can you get dismissed from school for misdemeanors that happen during the school year? Be careful friends!

In this instance, the student was found taking pictures of questions at an exam review, so not blatant cheating as I would describe it. Personally I think the admin used him as an example because they have never been anything but SUPER intense about the questions not being leaked since they're in a giant Q-bank that gets picked from again for the following year's tests. As far as I know, there's no possible way to cheat while taking an exam on the Ipad. The wifi and app availability on those things is in super lock-down mode while in Exam-Soft, the app for the exams.

You may not know this, but the CT office managers are in communication with the school. If you get in trouble in CT, it's very possible that KCUMB will hear about it. That's what happened with the student found with drugs. Don't be dumb. If you are taking the risk of doing drugs in med school, be discrete about it. Other apartment complexes don't have the close relationship with the school that CT does. Just something to be aware of.

How are the tests taken? You sit in the classroom and put the iPad into exam mood?

The exam review after the test or a study review before the test?

Can you wear earplugs during the exam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are the tests taken? You sit in the classroom and put the iPad into exam mood?

yup. just make sure you put yourself into exam mood too ;)

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

I sit in on faculty talks about the future of KCUMB and I haven't heard anything about a nursing program opening here and I'd be shocked if anything like that were in the works.

Do they ever talk about the attendance policy in these talks? This is something I hope changes.

Sorry to beat a dead horse.

Here's the lowdown on exams: midterms are scheduled from 9 AM-12 PM and finals from 8 AM-12 PM. Seat assignments are sent out the day before and we sit every other seat in 2 lecture halls. You can bring one drink item and one 'small' snack. Sidenote: I've seen people bring costco bags of stuff before which is comical. You turn your phone off and put it face down on the desk in front of you. They also have laminated blank sheets of paper with dry erase markers for use during the exams. You load the exam the night before on exam soft and then when everyone is ready to start, you enter the code they give you which opens the exam and you are (usually) good to go. There's been a few app crashes but as far as I know, everyone has been able to restore their answer and resume the test. Every once in a while there's a glitch and a few people have to take the test on paper but that doesn't sound like too big of a deal. They supply earplugs or you can bring your own. Oh and the proctors only let one person of each sex go to the bathroom at a time, so the wait time for the restroom can be LOOONG. There's been a few times where I've just said 'screw it all, I've been waiting an hour' and just gone.
You get your exam results as soon as you press submit, so I'm sure you can understand why we all have minor panic attacks when we're finishing up our exams. The section average is curved to 85%. So say I get a 88% in the section and the average is 79%. Everyone gets 6% added to their score and I'd be ending up with a 94%. Again, individual exams are not curved. Only the section total which includes the midterm, final, practicals and any random assignments we may have had. The exam averages are always released a day or two following exams so you can gauge your grade level.

Post-exam reviews are held usually a week later but they only give you a paper version of the test to go through with the correct answers highlighted. You do not have access to your answers which is something we're trying to change because few people remember what answer they put a week after the exam.
There are no official pre-exam reviews though various clubs will host subject related reviews with food, like the path club does a path review and there's a micro review from one of the family practice clubs. Use these if you want. A little repetition never hurt anyone.

Oh, and it's super important to be in exam mood. Nothing gets done without exam mood :)

Last edited:
Do they ever talk about the attendance policy in these talks? This is something I hope changes.

Sorry to beat a dead horse.

Yeah sorry to burst your bubble but the attendance policy isn't going anywhere soon. The admin say that it's required in order to get funding which I don't really understand because lots of other schools don't require attendance. Dubin is also gung-ho about it saying that studies show that students with the best grades are the ones who go to class. Anywho, it's REALLY not that big of a deal. I was a kid who skipped a fair amount in undergrad and I still skip a fair amount here. You can miss 7 days per 5 week section which actually is a lot. In addition, people sign each other in on the attendance sheet so if you're diehard about missing class there's that option. Though 8 AM lectures can be a little sad on the show-out later in a section, the vast majority of students go to most lectures. Plan your absences wisely though, because if you miss more than 7 sign-in's you get a 5% grade dock which I can tell you is enforced.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone give me a clue about options regarding the $920 required medical equipment purchase for first years from the KCUMB bookstore?
- Are there any opportunities to get a better deal buying equipment from an old student?
- If we have the same equipment from a parent who is a doctor or from a friend who has old equipment from when they were in medical school can we use that instead?

Thanks for the help guys.

Can someone give me a clue about options regarding the $920 required medical equipment purchase for first years from the KCUMB bookstore?
- Are there any opportunities to get a better deal buying equipment from an old student?
- If we have the same equipment from a parent who is a doctor or from a friend who has old equipment from when they were in medical school can we use that instead?

Thanks for the help guys.

You might want to get connected to the group fb page. A lot of old students selling their equipment there at a descent prize

Good news and bad news..... KCUMB officially changed their attendance policy. Attendance is only required at guest lectures and interactive lectures. This is the good news.

The bad news is if attendance begins to look less than 50%, video recordings will be withheld.

Basically, everyone complained about attendance policy (which isn't that bad), and now it is changed for the worse. This means you are depending on your classmates to attend class, and even if you go and other people do not, you wont have recordings. Basically, abolishing the attendance policy has actually made it more important to go to class. Not sure how this is going to work out.

Last edited:
Good news and bad news..... KCUMB officially changed their attendance policy. Attendance is only required at guest lectures and interactive lectures. This is the good news.

The bad news is if attendance begins to look less than 50%, video recordings will be withheld.

Basically, everyone complained about attendance policy (which isn't that bad), and now it is changed for the worse. This means you are depending on your classmates to attend class, and even if you go and other people do not, you wont have recordings. Basically, abolishing the attendance policy has actually made it more important to go to class. Not sure how this is going to work out.
Thats unfortunate, the previous policy wasn't even that bad imo.

I know it might be different this year but what percentage of lectures would you estimate are guest/interactive?

What's the point of removing the attendance policy then?

I know it might be different this year but what percentage of lectures would you estimate are guest/interactive?

Maybe 1, max 2 days per section are guest lectures.

I am SHOCKED it changed, but I actually don't think that many people will skip. Of the people I pal around with, most only miss 1-2 days per section when they could be missing 7. We talked this morning and all but 2 of us plan on still attending class regularly. Many people just don't WANT to miss class because it gets them out of bed in the morning, they would feel like slackers if they missed, etc. I could see the attendance dropping below 50% the last week of the section when attendance is already low, but other than that it's hard for me to imagine. And I'd be surprised if Dubin actually sent out an order to cancel a recording-there'd be an uproar.

I don't get much out of lecture. I never have, but going to lecture gives me peace of mind and I feel like I at least know what I should be doing. Skipping class makes me feel lost and behind. Hopefully there won't be any issues.

Maybe 1, max 2 days per section are guest lectures.

I am SHOCKED it changed, but I actually don't think that many people will skip. Of the people I pal around with, most only miss 1-2 days per section when they could be missing 7. We talked this morning and all but 2 of us plan on still attending class regularly. Many people just don't WANT to miss class because it gets them out of bed in the morning, they would feel like slackers if they missed, etc. I could see the attendance dropping below 50% the last week of the section when attendance is already low, but other than that it's hard for me to imagine. And I'd be surprised if Dubin actually sent out an order to cancel a recording-there'd be an uproar.
Wait till you're studying for boards and realize how much time you're wasting sitting in lectures

I have some friends at other schools that go to zero lectures, wake up around 10, watch the lectures on tegrity and are done studying by five every day. That would be nice, especially during board studies

I don't get much out of lecture. I never have, but going to lecture gives me peace of mind and I feel like I at least know what I should be doing. Skipping class makes me feel lost and behind. Hopefully there won't be any issues.
Sounds like me, I would get so paranoid when ever I missed class lol.

Hmm def see the good and bad with this. Thanks for the update!

How soon are the lecture recordings posted?

You guys all go to class so I don't have to.

How many days a week do we have labs? If I have to be on campus for labs anyway, I might as well go to the lectures.

Do we have to buy the medical equipment from the bookstore or is there a 3rd party vendor that is cheaper?

Do we have to buy the medical equipment from the bookstore or is there a 3rd party vendor that is cheaper?

Seems like it's the best value out there. You can try to piece together your own kit using different online resources (I tried this) but it was cheaper through the bookstore.

Plus, you'll probably be able to sell your kit to an incoming MS1 after 2nd year for about $600 anyway...

A lot of people have just been buying them from the third years by posting in FB. I did it and got one for 650. Probably the easiest way to get it for cheap and still know you're actually getting the right equipment.

Why are they selling them? Will they not need them during rotations and on?

I was accepted off the waitlist last Friday, I'm excited to get up to KC in a few weeks! Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look for housing?

Reactions: 2 users
I was accepted off the waitlist last Friday, I'm excited to get up to KC in a few weeks! Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look for housing?

Congrats!!! There are some helpful housing suggestions in the comments of several posts on the class of 2018 FB group if you scroll down on the page a bit. You can also contact Michelle Sparks (she's a member of the FB group) who's a "relocation specialist"/real estate agent. I sent her a message with what I was looking for in an apartment (price range, distance from school, etc.) and she sent me a list of places to check out. She doesn't charge a fee, but if you want you can list her as the person who referred you when you settle on a place so that she gets the referral fee.

Ooh just got my email/letter from the dean. I am pretty excited now! The cut suit sounds awesome! I hope we really do get to utilize it.

:)

Reactions: 4 users
I'm really excited about these too. I believe Dubin said the dummies along with the sim lab would definitely be ready by our third at the spring accepted day. If we're third and fourth years in KC we should be able to use the lab for practice, but I'm still hoping it's finished for our second year :xf:

Also, only 28 days to orientation and 34 until classes!!!:soexcited:

Hello everyone,

I am willing to answer any questions that you may have about the KCUMB-COM application process or general AACOMAS questions. I have been accepted to the KCUMB-COM Class of 2017! A good place to start searching for information is threads from years past, because it will give you a heads up as to what to look forward to ahead of time. Otherwise, best of luck and hope to see you all in KC!

I applied recently and have received an email basically stating the positive qualities of KCUMB and that they are excited that i applied etc. Pretty standard. But, in the e-mail was no mention of a secondary? I assume that's coming? Otherwise the e-mail seemed very positive!

I applied recently and have received an email basically stating the positive qualities of KCUMB and that they are excited that i applied etc. Pretty standard. But, in the e-mail was no mention of a secondary? I assume that's coming? Otherwise the e-mail seemed very positive!

Post in the 2014-2015 thread.

What are your stats?

Been looking at places to live (didn't get into CT quick enough) and wondered if anyone knows anything about

1. Old Town Lofts
2. The Retreat at Walnut Creek
3. Six40
4. 910 Penn Apts
5. Courthouse Lofts

Any comments would be appreciated!

Been looking at places to live (didn't get into CT quick enough) and wondered if anyone knows anything about

1. Old Town Lofts
2. The Retreat at Walnut Creek
3. Six40
4. 910 Penn Apts
5. Courthouse Lofts

Any comments would be appreciated!
Not too sure on some of them but I know for sure courthouse lofts is income restricted

Really the only Old Town Lofts property we're eligible for as students is Lucas Place - which is a nice building. It wasn't my cup of tea when I toured it, but it would be more than adequate for housing. It seemed to me that you could get more bang for your buck elsewhere, though. They're trying to hit full occupancy in the building, though - so you probably wouldn't have a problem getting a room, as a large percentage of the building is still vacant.