Kansas State C/O 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everybody, I know how much these threads helped during my application cycle , so I thought I'd hop in a see how everyone is doing. I'm currently a 1st year at Kansas state, and an ambassador, so if you get an interview, it's likely I'll see you 🙂

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll try to periodically check SDN.

Actually, I have an odd question. I am a non-traditional student who (if accepted this cycle) will be selling my home and moving out to that area. Do you know if there are any opportunities to meet and greet with fellow accepted applicants to (hopefully) mingle before starting classes? I am trying to plan for getting a rental out in the area (I have two dogs so campus housing looks out of the question) and wouldnt mind rooming with a fellow student, but as prior experiences have left me being more on guard with roommates I would prefer to meet people first. What is your experience with this?
 
How is your first year treating you? Also, how is an ambassador work if you are in your first year? Is that similar to the class officers I have read about?
So ambassadors are separate from class officers, it's something we applied for early in first year, when I applied we just had to write a couple paragraph-long essays but this year we held interviews. The past couple years there have been 10 ambassadors from each class, but this year they took all 13 first years who applied since they were all good! The main thing ambassadors do is give tours to prospective students, visiting alumni/donors, school groups, etc. throughout the year. Most tours during the semester are over the noon lunch hour, and we can sign up for as many as we're comfortable fitting into our schedule. The other big thing we do is help out with interview weekends, we help check people in, chat with applicants while they're waiting for their interviews, take people to their interview room and back, give tours throughout the day, etc. Then there are some other random events we help out with during the year, like Open House, or helping with the Dean's box during football games and mingling with alumni there. It's not a big time commitment at all, the main times we need people are the interview weekends. It pays $8/hr, so that's a little perk, but definitely nothing significant since a lot of weeks I don't give any tours or anything.

Actually, I have an odd question. I am a non-traditional student who (if accepted this cycle) will be selling my home and moving out to that area. Do you know if there are any opportunities to meet and greet with fellow accepted applicants to (hopefully) mingle before starting classes? I am trying to plan for getting a rental out in the area (I have two dogs so campus housing looks out of the question) and wouldnt mind rooming with a fellow student, but as prior experiences have left me being more on guard with roommates I would prefer to meet people first. What is your experience with this?
There aren't really any formal opportunities to meet other accepted students before orientation, but there's a Facebook group set up for each class, so a lot of people find roommates by posting on there, or there's a housing classifieds page through the school.
 
Actually, I have an odd question. I am a non-traditional student who (if accepted this cycle) will be selling my home and moving out to that area. Do you know if there are any opportunities to meet and greet with fellow accepted applicants to (hopefully) mingle before starting classes? I am trying to plan for getting a rental out in the area (I have two dogs so campus housing looks out of the question) and wouldnt mind rooming with a fellow student, but as prior experiences have left me being more on guard with roommates I would prefer to meet people first. What is your experience with this?

There weren't any formal meet and greets, but I do know that a few weeks before hand many of the students tried to meet up on their own, going to bars and stuff. I personally didn't go because I didn't get to Kansas until a few days before class started. I know a few students that found roommates through the facebook group, and they haven't had any problems. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How is your first year treating you? Also, how is an ambassador work if you are in your first year? Is that similar to the class officers I have read about?

For me, first year has been so much fun. Its amazing how much you learn in such a little amount of time. It can be a lot of information at times, but I haven't been too stressed out. (school is fun when you like what you're learning!). If I understand your question correctly, class officers are more like class president, VP, etc. I want to say that those positions are nominated/voted for within the end of orientation week and the first week of school. To be an ambassador you have to go through an application process/interview. I should remember, but there were a few essay questions about experience, why you want to be an ambassador, etc. My interview was pretty laid back and lots of fun! Unfortunately I haven't started giving tours or anything yet (my first tour I shadow on is tomorrow. Yay!). But basically there is a calendar where ambassadors can sign up for upcoming tours, games, etc. So you sign up for what works best with your schedule. Since most tours are over the lunch break, it shouldn't hinder classes.
 
So ambassadors are separate from class officers, it's something we applied for early in first year, when I applied we just had to write a couple paragraph-long essays but this year we held interviews. The past couple years there have been 10 ambassadors from each class, but this year they took all 13 first years who applied since they were all good! The main thing ambassadors do is give tours to prospective students, visiting alumni/donors, school groups, etc. throughout the year. Most tours during the semester are over the noon lunch hour, and we can sign up for as many as we're comfortable fitting into our schedule. The other big thing we do is help out with interview weekends, we help check people in, chat with applicants while they're waiting for their interviews, take people to their interview room and back, give tours throughout the day, etc. Then there are some other random events we help out with during the year, like Open House, or helping with the Dean's box during football games and mingling with alumni there. It's not a big time commitment at all, the main times we need people are the interview weekends. It pays $8/hr, so that's a little perk, but definitely nothing significant since a lot of weeks I don't give any tours or anything.


There aren't really any formal opportunities to meet other accepted students before orientation, but there's a Facebook group set up for each class, so a lot of people find roommates by posting on there, or there's a housing classifieds page through the school.

Thank you for the quick feedback! 🙂
 
For me, first year has been so much fun. Its amazing how much you learn in such a little amount of time. It can be a lot of information at times, but I haven't been too stressed out. (school is fun when you like what you're learning!). If I understand your question correctly, class officers are more like class president, VP, etc. I want to say that those positions are nominated/voted for within the end of orientation week and the first week of school. To be an ambassador you have to go through an application process/interview. I should remember, but there were a few essay questions about experience, why you want to be an ambassador, etc. My interview was pretty laid back and lots of fun! Unfortunately I haven't started giving tours or anything yet (my first tour I shadow on is tomorrow. Yay!). But basically there is a calendar where ambassadors can sign up for upcoming tours, games, etc. So you sign up for what works best with your schedule. Since most tours are over the lunch break, it shouldn't hinder classes.

It is so good to hear that! I figured it had to be stressful to some extent, but I also thought it should be enjoyable due to the nature of the material. Thanks for the feedback on class officers. I was just a little confused on how people could be chosen for positions that fast when the whole class is so new to each other and the proffessors. I'm just absorbing as much as I can about the community, I can't wait to be there with you all!
 
On the K-state website it says interviews this year are only on two weekends Dec 15-16 (sat-sun) and Jan 3-4 (thurs-fri). Does anyone know when they plan on sending out invites?
 
On the K-state website it says interviews this year are only on two weekends Dec 15-16 (sat-sun) and Jan 3-4 (thurs-fri). Does anyone know when they plan on sending out invites?
Based on previous years I'd guess mid- November for the December weekend and late November/early December for the January interviews, but again it might be different with the new dean of admissions!
 
Based on previous years I'd guess mid- November for the December weekend and late November/early December for the January interviews, but again it might be different with the new dean of admissions!

Thanks for your response. I’m biting my nails! I was waitlisted last year and really loved the school.
 
Thanks for your response. I’m biting my nails! I was waitlisted last year and really loved the school.
This is my third time applying. I’ve interviewed the past two years here’s and fell in love with the school. Got rejected the first year and waitlisted last year. Hopefully I’m going to hear some good news this year!! Good luck to us both!
 
This is my third time applying. I’ve interviewed the past two years here’s and fell in love with the school. Got rejected the first year and waitlisted last year. Hopefully I’m going to hear some good news this year!! Good luck to us both!
Good luck! When I toured it further solidified my love of the school, hope to see you there!
 
Just so I’m not missing something kansas has no portal for you to log into right? It’s just watching for emails? I just want to make sure bc I’m slightly feeling like I missed something
 
No, there is nothing to log into. You should get an email sometime in November or December for interviews if you are offered one.
That’s what I thought from reading past threads and just from being on their website. But I figured I’d cover my bases.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They emailed asking to send unofficial GRE scores because they couldn’t get them from the grad school

I didn't get one. Did anyone receive a confirmation email once their supplemental application was submitted? I didn't and am now wondering if maybe I didn't submit it properly or something...
 
I didn't get one. Did anyone receive a confirmation email once their supplemental application was submitted? I didn't and am now wondering if maybe I didn't submit it properly or something...

The only unprompted email I got from them was confirmation of receiving my VMCAS application and telling me to complete the supplemental application and pay the fee.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
November 1st is this week... As an IS, the inevitable email refreshing is in maximum overdrive 😵:scared:
 
Um, yes. At first, I just saw it said "brief," so here I am, writing a 900-word personal statement. Go to turn it in... "500 words" what!!! I found out that taking out info is much more difficult than putting things in.
I DID THE SAME THING!! I think they changed it midway through the cycle, because all it said was "brief" and I also wrote like two pages and had to MAJORLY cut it down. I'm really glad it wasn't just me :laugh:
 
Is there a time frame for when OOS applicants get notified? I think I missed these things somewhere..
I think the OOS have to wait until the end of the month, unfortunately :/
I just understood that IS can hear anytime after the 1st of November
 
I DID THE SAME THING!! I think they changed it midway through the cycle, because all it said was "brief" and I also wrote like two pages and had to MAJORLY cut it down. I'm really glad it wasn't just me :laugh:
Lol I was SO mad! I was so happy with mine before I had to cut it down then I felt it wasn't sufficient at all with all the stuff I had to cut out hahaha
 
I am out of state and last year I was invited to interview on November 3rd for the first interview weekend, but
I also submitted my application pretty early last year unlike this year because I was waiting on my graduate degree to be posted which doesn't really matter for Kansas State, but does for other schools.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone else receive an Application Confirmation email from the Assistant Dean for Admissions asking to answer questions in order to complete the Kansas application, even though they will receive the info from VMCAS? If so, have you heard from KSU since? I received this Application Confirmation email a few days after submitting my supplemental application, and I have not heard back from KSU since.
 
Does anyone know when we can expect to hear about potential interviews? This waiting game is killing me haha.
Soon I hope. I am assuming in about 2 weeks if we are picked for the 1st round of interviews (Dec 15th-16th). I have put it out of my mind for the last two weeks or so but now that its November I am starting to check my email several times a day lol. The 15th/16th is right after my finals so I hope I have a couple days to relax and really prep for this interview.
 
I checked my application confirmation email lol. It says "Applicants invited for interviews will receive notice 6 weeks prior to their interview date." so.. anywhere between 3-24 days?
 
Two years ago I got an email November 5 for an interview January 20. Last year I got a phone call on january 2 for an interview on January 7
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a first year at K-State and I just wanted to say hang in there!

The application process this year sounds like the timeframe may be a bit different than in previous years and that will likely be due to the new staff and how they do things.

If you applied before then you know that Mary Sue was the angel of admissions for the past umpteen years and she actually retired this year so I wouldn't be surprised if the interview invites were sent out a bit later than usual.

Best of luck to y'all!

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile
 
I'm a first year at K-State and I just wanted to say hang in there!

The application process this year sounds like the timeframe may be a bit different than in previous years and that will likely be due to the new staff and how they do things.

If you applied before then you know that Mary Sue was the angel of admissions for the past umpteen years and she actually retired this year so I wouldn't be surprised if the interview invites were sent out a bit later than usual.

Best of luck to y'all!

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile
Thank you for the heads up 🙂
 
I'm a first year at K-State and I just wanted to say hang in there!

The application process this year sounds like the timeframe may be a bit different than in previous years and that will likely be due to the new staff and how they do things.

If you applied before then you know that Mary Sue was the angel of admissions for the past umpteen years and she actually retired this year so I wouldn't be surprised if the interview invites were sent out a bit later than usual.

Best of luck to y'all!

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile
Mary Sue was very nice. I met her when I interviewed last year. It seemed like she was retiring. I didn't know the dean of admissions was, too, though.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using SDN mobile
 
Mary Sue was very nice. I met her when I interviewed last year. It seemed like she was retiring. I didn't know the dean of admissions was, too, though.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using SDN mobile
Yeah Dr. Elmore retired as dean but he is still teaching some classes, Dr. Schmidt has been doing a fantastic job as the interim dean! [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile