Kansas State C/O 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah Dr. Elmore retired as dean but he is still teaching some classes, Dr. Schmidt has been doing a fantastic job as the interim dean! [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Never thought I'd see the day for him hah.

Yeah you probably didn't know Donna, but she worked here for over 30 years (retired from being the admissions coordinator person in 2015) and she was super helpful and nice too. They've generally had a pretty good group running things.
 
Um, yes. At first, I just saw it said "brief," so here I am, writing a 900-word personal statement. Go to turn it in... "500 words" what!!! I found out that taking out info is much more difficult than putting things in.
How did you all feel about the character count limit on VMCAS. I definitely wrote two 1500 word and one 2000 word essay in word before copying and pasting into VMCAS and only seeing less than one paragraph in the box. That was fun.
 
How did you all feel about the character count limit on VMCAS. I definitely wrote two 1500 word and one 2000 word essay in word before copying and pasting into VMCAS and only seeing less than one paragraph in the box. That was fun.

Same here.... not enough room to thoroughly write!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How did you all feel about the character count limit on VMCAS. I definitely wrote two 1500 word and one 2000 word essay in word before copying and pasting into VMCAS and only seeing less than one paragraph in the box. That was fun.
Yeah I definitely thought it was very limited... I thought just one general, longer, personal statement would have been more efficient but that's just my opinion. Surprisingly enough Kansas State was the only one who asked for the additional personal statement on top of the VMCAS questions
 
How did you all feel about the character count limit on VMCAS. I definitely wrote two 1500 word and one 2000 word essay in word before copying and pasting into VMCAS and only seeing less than one paragraph in the box. That was fun.
Same here.... not enough room to thoroughly write!
Yeah I definitely thought it was very limited... I thought just one general, longer, personal statement would have been more efficient but that's just my opinion. Surprisingly enough Kansas State was the only one who asked for the additional personal statement on top of the VMCAS questions

Lollllll last year was 500 characters.
two cycles ago you actually got one whole essay but last cycle they split it up into three prompts. And it forces you to actually figure out how to write concisely, which is a useful skill.
 
Anyone know how many applicants they had this year? I feel like every school I applied to had 500 more applicants then ever before so kinda dying inside
 
Yeah Dr. Elmore retired as dean but he is still teaching some classes, Dr. Schmidt has been doing a fantastic job as the interim dean! [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile
Just a clarification, Dr. Rush is the interim dean of the college, Dr. Schmidt (who was hired fall 2016) is the associate dean for academic programs and student affairs, and Dr. Rost is the new associate dean for student admissions. 😉 And I won't get into my opinions on Dr. Schmidt here, but I'll just say I beg to differ.
 
Just a clarification, Dr. Rush is the interim dean of the college, Dr. Schmidt (who was hired fall 2016) is the associate dean for academic programs and student affairs, and Dr. Rost is the new associate dean for student admissions. 😉 And I won't get into my opinions on Dr. Schmidt here, but I'll just say I beg to differ.
Well Dr. Rost has been very nice and helpful so far with all the questions I’ve sent her way. 🙂 Totally not on topic of the people but I wanted to put it out there. :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am an OOS student, offered an interview to Kansas State CVM. I have gone through their website on their program and watched their video. I was hoping to hear from you guys what the program is like? Does it focus more on large animal than small, or is it about equal?

Any and all information is appreciated, thank you!
 
I am an OOS student, offered an interview to Kansas State CVM. I have gone through their website on their program and watched their video. I was hoping to hear from you guys what the program is like? Does it focus more on large animal than small, or is it about equal?

Any and all information is appreciated, thank you!

I'd call it fairly equal because there's no curriculum tracking. You can tailor your elective course choices to your interests, and your rotation electives as well. Some people wanted as much equine as they could get, I did my minimum of 4 weeks on clinics and was happy when it was over hah. Equine case load is on the low side compared to some other schools, more action on the ag animal side of things. Small animal is generally fairly busy, about what you'd expect. You cover everything but the scale might be slightly skewed towards the small animal side in time and effort put in (example: first semester junior surgery with dogs is required, with each group of 4 having 8 surgeries total. Second semester JSL everyone had to participate in only one equine castration, and it was completely optional to do a bovine c-section).
 
I'd call it fairly equal because there's no curriculum tracking. You can tailor your elective course choices to your interests, and your rotation electives as well. Some people wanted as much equine as they could get, I did my minimum of 4 weeks on clinics and was happy when it was over hah. Equine case load is on the low side compared to some other schools, more action on the ag animal side of things. Small animal is generally fairly busy, about what you'd expect. You cover everything but the scale might be slightly skewed towards the small animal side in time and effort put in (example: first semester junior surgery with dogs is required, with each group of 4 having 8 surgeries total. Second semester JSL everyone had to participate in only one equine castration, and it was completely optional to do a bovine c-section).
Thank you so much! Does Kansas do 3 years of lecture style learning and then 4th year is clinicals?
 
Does anyone know if all interview invites are sent out at the same time? Or are they staggered?
There will be another round of invites sent out for the January dates, I'm not sure if all of the invites for the December weekend have gone out!

Thank you so much! Does Kansas do 3 years of lecture style learning and then 4th year is clinicals?
Yes! There is a clinical skills class each semester before 4th year, but from what I've heard most of it first and second year is on models.
 
I received an interview as well for December 16th at 10:47 last night lol, and I am an OOS applicant. I look forward to meeting you all!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got an invite for December 16th last night too at 9:58, but I was already asleep because I have to get up at 3AM for work currently. Same weekend and day of the week as I interviewed last year. OOS

Sent from my XT1635-01 using SDN mobile
 
I have an interview at Midwestern on Dec 12th so I called Kansas State to see if they were sending out anymore interviews for December dates (I didn't want to book my round trip flight from Tampa to Arizona if there was a chance I'd need to be in Kansas just a couple days later, especially since it's much cheaper to fly from Arizona to Kansas than to do another round trip) and admissions said they sent all interview invites for December dates.
 
I have an interview at Midwestern on Dec 12th so I called Kansas State to see if they were sending out anymore interviews for December dates (I didn't want to book my round trip flight from Tampa to Arizona if there was a chance I'd need to be in Kansas just a couple days later, especially since it's much cheaper to fly from Arizona to Kansas than to do another round trip) and admissions said they sent all interview invites for December dates.
Sad. 🙁
 
OOS applicant who also received an interview request for Dec 16th!
Is anyone going to be going to the dinner on the 15th, and if so, does anyone have any knowledge of attire for it? I can't quite tell if it's more formal or casual from the email.
 
OOS applicant who also received an interview request for Dec 16th!
Is anyone going to be going to the dinner on the 15th, and if so, does anyone have any knowledge of attire for it? I can't quite tell if it's more formal or casual from the email.

I am going to try to make it to the dinner -- coming straight from finals! I was also wondering about if it is business formal or business casual.
 
I am going to try to make it to the dinner -- coming straight from finals! I was also wondering about if it is business formal or business casual.

If we can't find someone from a previous year I suppose we could ask when we send our email reply accepting the interview request?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If we can't find someone from a previous year I suppose we could ask when we send our email reply accepting the interview request?

Last year It was pretty business casual. Nice pants and a nice shirt but did not dress up fully in my interview suit for the dinner. I don't know if anything has changed for this year, but we had a pizza party and it was pretty casual.
 
OOS applicant who also received an interview request for Dec 16th!
Is anyone going to be going to the dinner on the 15th, and if so, does anyone have any knowledge of attire for it? I can't quite tell if it's more formal or casual from the email.

The bottom of my email for 1/3/19 invite said the dress for the dinner the night before is work casual.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk