Kansas State University c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunshine in a Storm

c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
OOS applicant. 3rd time applying. 1st time applying to KSU.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS applicant, first time applying, super nervous!

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread makes me feel old. I'm coming up on 4th year at K-State if anyone has any questions!

Reactions: 2 users
Wahoo! I was waiting for this thread to be started! I can't believe it's already time to start working on my application again. 2nd time applying, and 2nd time to KState!

Reactions: 4 users
Finally, my class! I'm OOS but in undergrad at K-State now. Loving it. Full disclosure I'm early admit so if I don't screw up in the next year and don't embarrass myself on the GRE I'll be in. Still going to be here until I get my formal acceptance. Good luck to everyone. I'm near campus (live in a frat house) so if anyone visits and wants to say hello just message me.

Reactions: 3 users
Any thoughts on attaching a resume vs a CV?

Any thoughts on attaching a resume vs a CV?

I might be completely off here, but my understanding of CV versus resume is a resume is more work and skill oriented while the CV is largely academic, including publications, research, etc.

In my case, as an older applicant, a CV would not have been beneficial for me to submit to KSU as I did not have any publications or research in my recent academic history (I retook most of my prerequisites as they all were too old and/or I wanted better grades, while working full time - no time for research). I simply submitted a resume outlining education and relevant work experience. For what its worth, I was accepted to Kansas State.

That said, and again I might be off here, I would have submitted a CV instead of a resume if I felt that I could craft a substantial one. To me, a CV makes one look more academically accomplished, you know?

Reactions: 1 user
I might be completely off here, but my understanding of CV versus resume is a resume is more work and skill oriented while the CV is largely academic, including publications, research, etc.

In my case, as an older applicant, a CV would not have been beneficial for me to submit to KSU as I did not have any publications or research in my recent academic history (I retook most of my prerequisites as they all were too old and/or I wanted better grades, while working full time - no time for research). I simply submitted a resume outlining education and relevant work experience. For what its worth, I was accepted to Kansas State.

That said, and again I might be off here, I would have submitted a CV instead of a resume if I felt that I could craft a substantial one. To me, a CV makes one look more academically accomplished, you know?

That makes sense, thank you! I’m a 30-something non-traditional student so I was toying with the idea of a CV just because I’ve done a lot and could go into more detail. But, like you, I haven’t done graduate schoolwork or research so a resume is probably the better way to go. If they want more detail about my experiences they can refer to the experience section in VMCAS :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That makes sense, thank you! I’m a 30-something non-traditional student so I was toying with the idea of a CV just because I’ve done a lot and could go into more detail. But, like you, I haven’t done graduate schoolwork or research so a resume is probably the better way to go. If they want more detail about my experiences they can refer the experience section in VMCAS :)

You're welcome! I'm 34, obviously non-traditional as well, and would be happy to help if you have any questions. I know that being an older applicant presents some unique challenges but I also feel that there are benefits as well. Just let me know if I can be of service.

Hi everyone! I'm a second time applicant, hopefully first time to Kansas State. Just trying to figure out their admission requirements. I come from a quarter system school, so I'm not sure my one 4-unit microbiology will satisfy their pre-requisite o_O
Looking into it for now, so might as well follow this thread! Good luck everyone!!

Hey there, first year applicant (OOS), fingers crossed as first time to K-State! Looking forward to interacting with everyone more as we get further into the application process!

Anyone know what Classes would be examples of expository writing? I have taken English classes would that be the same thing?

For the supplemental app, do the transcripts we upload need to be official? Or can they be unofficial versions?

For the supplemental app, do the transcripts we upload need to be official? Or can they be unofficial versions?

I was under the impression that unofficial was fine but I don’t recall where I read that.

Hi guys!

On the supplemental application, I am entering in Physics and Physics labs, but on my transcript it is listed as one class, worth 4 hours of credit.
On the instructions it says "If lab grades and lecture grades are included in one grade on the transcript, please make sure you enter the grades accordingly." Would that mean that I should put 3 hours under the class, and list the same class again with 1 hour under the lab?

Good question! I want to know that one too! I have to fill that out soon.

Hi guys!

On the supplemental application, I am entering in Physics and Physics labs, but on my transcript it is listed as one class, worth 4 hours of credit.
On the instructions it says "If lab grades and lecture grades are included in one grade on the transcript, please make sure you enter the grades accordingly." Would that mean that I should put 3 hours under the class, and list the same class again with 1 hour under the lab?
Good question! I want to know that one too! I have to fill that out soon.

I emailed about this back in May and of course I can’t find the email now ... but the system won’t let you leave the lab portion blank. I listed the lecture portion as 3 credits and the lab portion as 1 credit and put the same grade in both. They said that was fine.

They’re quick to respond if you email :)

Submitted my supplemental today! Good luck everyone! Waiting is the hardest part right now.

Last edited:
I'm all submitted as of this past weekend! Good luck to everyone!
I'm OOS and this is my first time applying so I'm absolutely terrified in the best way possible!

Hey does anyone know if they changed their Ochem requirement?? Last years made it on my school’s 8AB list but this year it looks like I would need the 3 quarter one and I’m kinda freaking out

Submitted by supplemental 2 days ago and finally starting to feel like I'm making progress!

Hey does anyone know if they changed their Ochem requirement?? Last years made it on my school’s 8AB list but this year it looks like I would need the 3 quarter one and I’m kinda freaking out

Email them! They were super helpful when I emailed about a prereq question.

Application submitted and verified! Now the waiting game begins :)

Email them! They were super helpful when I emailed about a prereq question.
They got back so fast! I go to UC Davis and our Ochem is weird (we have two series) so it's nice they have it figured out for us.

Hi there! I was filling out the supplemental app and was curious what I should put for "accredited by" next to my school? I can't seem to find a clear explanation

Hi there! I was filling out the supplemental app and was curious what I should put for "accredited by" next to my school? I can't seem to find a clear explanation

I googled my school and accreditation after it and they all came up pretty easily.

Does anyone know how KSU communicates with us? Is there a portal or will they email us, if there is a portal what is the address?

Does anyone know how KSU communicates with us? Is there a portal or will they email us, if there is a portal what is the address?
Last year they communicated through email :)

In previous years KSU has sent out interview invites in November but I found this on their website today:
  • September-October, 2019: Applicants are notified and invited to campus to interview for their seat in the Class of 2024 on either January 3-4, or January 10-11, 2020.
Holy what? We might hear this month?!

In previous years KSU has sent out interview invites in November but I found this on their website today:
  • September-October, 2019: Applicants are notified and invited to campus to interview for their seat in the Class of 2024 on either January 3-4, or January 10-11, 2020.
Holy what? We might hear this month?!

And I just said to myself a few minutes ago "I should stop checking SDN on my days off because my anxiety is through the roof lately".

• Haha
From their website it sounds like if you don't get an interview invite by the end of this month, you're denied. I'd imagine only those who interviewed would be placed on the alternate list since they don't have additional interview days beyond January 11th. It sounds like by January everyone will know their status, but again, it's safe to assume (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that if you don't receive an interview invite by the end of this month that you're denied.

From their website it sounds like if you don't get an interview invite by the end of this month, you're denied. I'd imagine only those who interviewed would be placed on the alternate list since they don't have additional interview days beyond January 11th. It sounds like by January everyone will know their status, but again, it's safe to assume (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that if you don't receive an interview invite by the end of this month that you're denied.

That was my impression as well :shrug:

Interesting, I would hope they would email those who didn't get an interview to inform them they were denied so that they aren't left waiting!
It sounds like they'll do that in January when they send out all status updates (accept/alternate/deny).

Yeah I feel like they haven't always been the best about not leaving people in limbo for a bit sometimes. My understanding is that if interview offers are declined they offer those spots to additional applicants. I guess they've felt the logistics of communicating about an interview alternate list to all the individual applicants would be too much? So, at least in the past, it seemed you may get stuck wondering and waiting for a while with no interview offer, until you either get called out of the blue or a rejection letter shows up in the mail.

• Sad
I saw from when I submitted my supplemental application that they won’t notify you until 6 weeks before your schedule interview date but then looked at the schedule on their website and it says September/October so now I’m just confused!!!

Last year I was seeing interview invitations in November so October is pretty nuts!

I called to check in on my application materials today and asked about the timeline and was told we will hopefully be hearing something by mid-November at the earliest.

I called to check in on my application materials today and asked about the timeline and was told we will hopefully be hearing something by mid-November at the earliest.

Thanks for the update! So weird that they’d put something different on their webpage timeline.

Are you IS or OOS?

Last cycle my friend (OOS) heard back mid-November and had an interview mid-December. I was surprised by the October date as well. I thinks it’s honestly too soon given it’s usually been November

Sent from my iPhone using SDN