Kaplan vs. Princeton Review for 2017 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cancersurvivorfuturedoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post to SDN. I am planning on taking the MCAT on May 18, 2017. I have been studying on my own but want to take a formal MCAT review course to better prepare for the exam. I am graduating from my state school in NJ this semester with a BA in Music and a minor in Bio. I have taken all of my prerequisites for medical school.

Everyone that takes a MCAT review course in my school goes with Kaplan and their reviews are mixed. Those who have taken TPR did so before the MCAT changed. Can someone please shed light to how they compare to each other now?

Also someone was telling me to do Kaplan because with their retake policy he was able to take the normal course first then take an advanced course. Is this a legit thing? I can't find any information on Kaplan's website for an advanced course.

Thank you in advance. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I know people that have taken both and have done well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the input. My biggest concern for wanting a class is to have a dedicated study plan. I suck at keeping myself motivated and on track. I need deadlines and assignments.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I know it will require a lot of work on my own. It's just something to keep me focused and on track. Someone to hold me accountable.

And @Miami_Postbac can you give examples to your claims? Have you used both? From what I heard Kaplan has better practice material but TPR has better information.

Princeton guarantees 123 hours of class time. Kaplan is a bit more on the unstable side. One class is 45 hours, the next 60, etc.

On the flip side, Kaplan offers waived tuition financial aid, Princeton does not.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. My biggest concern for wanting a class is to have a dedicated study plan. I suck at keeping myself motivated and on track. I need deadlines and assignments.

Hopefully this isn't considered giving away trade secrets, but the study plan is basically: month 1, read the first 5 chapters of each book; month 2, read the second 5 chapters...

But the MCAT channel, the concept videos and the 11 practice tests are worth the money imo.