Kaplan vs Uworld, What competition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stacks

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I, like many medical students, used the internet as a resource when trying to determine what study materials to use when studying for the Step exams. In doing so, I came across the Kaplan vs Uworld Qbank debate multiple times. I only used Uworld for Step 1 (ended up with a 259), and I also used the Step 2 bank during my clinical rotations. I did it for a second time following my rotations, but I had some extra time left over and I was debating between UWorld again, or trying Kaplan. After reading the debates online, I was left with the impression that there was a real competition between the two, so I decided to give Kaplan a try. Fast forward to today, where I am a little over halfway through reviewing the answers to my first full-length practice test (a test that doesn't give you a score correlation after the 8 hrs you put in btw), and I have already found over half a dozen errors. Kaplan is a joke compared to Uworld. The more actual medicine you know the more frustrated you will become with the product. My second Uworld practice test predicted a score of 272, and I think I have regressed at least a dozen points by using Kaplan. I have had to question and correct so many answers it has caused more confusion than clarification/education. In the almost 5000 UWorld questions (between Step 1 and Step 2), I had only found one or two corrections that needed to be made (and they ended up responding me and fixing at least one of the questions). I have been finding an average of 2-4 issue per 40 question block in the Kaplan Qbank (they have responded and fixed only few of the errors I have pointed out). The questions are poorly written and many of them give multiple correct answer choices (or at least an answer choice that should not have been included for whatever teaching point they were trying to make). Many of their explanations are also very poor leaving the reader with many questions they would never have after reading a UWorld explanation.

I'm sorry if this seems long winded and bitter, but that is only because it is and I am. I just want to save other people from the bad advice out there regarding these two products.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Same. I study the USMLE on my free time (I just want to be a surgical tech; so I don't have to take the USMLE) But one day I would at least like to try to be a doctor and attend the schooling if I will ever get the money to do so one day.
UWorld all the way. Kaplan does a terrible job at explaining things. Kaplan only goes "Well; it isn't this because x y and z." And frankly, google does a better job at explaining why it isnt x y and z. There is a long answer with no concise explanation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same. I study the USMLE on my free time (I just want to be a surgical tech; so I don't have to take the USMLE) But one day I would at least like to try to be a doctor and attend the schooling if I will ever get the money to do so one day.
UWorld all the way. Kaplan does a terrible job at explaining things. Kaplan only goes "Well; it isn't this because x y and z." And frankly, google does a better job at explaining why it isnt x y and z. There is a long answer with no concise explanation.
I’ve got to assume something like Kaplan is assuming you’ve been through med school and can draw on those classes in order to understand their shorter explanations.

Last edited:
I’ve got to assume something like Kaplan is assuming you’ve been through med school and can draw on those classss in order to understand their shorter explanations.
Yeah, I can agree with that. But still, a more thorough explanation is best for those situations where you may not understand the material, and perhaps another explanation would help understanding further, if that makes any sense.