KCOM class of 2005 meeting room

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akron Ohio

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to set up a section to see who will be attending KCOM this fall. I will be and would like to hear from others who have made the decision also. If you can please give the reasons for for your choice and any other information you would like to share.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be seeing you in the fall. I absolutely loved KCOM when I visited. The students that I met, including OldManDave, were friendly, had a noncompetetive nature, and were very helpful. I love the small town atmosphere as I did my undergrad at Montana State (Bozeman). It seems that a small town atmosphere is conducive to forming close relationships with classmates. The facilities were really high-tech compared to all other med schools that I visited. I love the osteopathic philosophy over allopathic. I'm not saying that I don't like allopathic medicine, I just feel osteopathy is more for me. I felt that KCOM was the best place to learn osteopathy, especially OMM. In short....I CAN'T WAIT TO GO!!!

Mike

I will see you all there next fall. My wife and I are excited to move up to K'ville. I am so sick of undergrad, the quicker this fall gets here, the better.

Later all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mike I would have to totally agree with you. After my interview was over at KCOM I knew without a doubt where I was meant to be. KCOM was the only place I interviewed at where I felt like I made friends in the process. The faculty was excited to meet me and very interested to work with me in the future. The facilities were amazing, and very high tech. The curriculum was the strongest also. The focus was not on memorization but critical thinking in the medical sence. I was also impressed with the integration approach to learning. All the classes were on the same page teaching about the same system. The board pass rate is also the highest of all DO schools too, which clearly sets KCOM apart from the rest of the pack. Another aspect which impressed me was the closeness of the faculty and students. Faculty are so open to students they give them their home phone numbers if they have any questions. That is true dedication on the faculties part.

I just sent in my admissions deposit today! I am also pumped to go to K'ville. I spoke to several current students there and it's no joke, what we all felt during the interview is actually how it is there. We all had a great time touring the facilities and those students that I spoke to said they are all very happy with their choice. I cant wait to meet all ya'll.

I can't wait until the parade of Ryder & U-Haul trucks begin to arrive bringing the Class of 2005 to K'ville...cause that signifies time for my departure to Paterson, NJ, where I complete my final two years of KCOM education!

By the way, a word to the wise...DO NOT RENT ANYTHING IN KIRKSVILLE SIGHT, UNSEEN!!!! Contact Larry Daniels at Century 21 and he'll be of great assistance in finding a place to live...especially if you have pets! Larry is a dog-lover.

Also, as I have mentioned to doc_2_be, my wife and I will be renting out our 2BR/2BA condo in the Woodwinds while we are away. If you are interested, e-mail me.

------------------
David W. Kelley, MS-2
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

I, too, am excited about the fall! I can't wait to meet all of you (that sounds incredibly cheesey, doesn't it!) My only regret is that I found out so soon...and now I have to wait so long to begin! Oh well, at least I KNOW!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by double elle:
I, too, am excited about the fall! I can't wait to meet all of you (that sounds incredibly cheesey, doesn't it!) My only regret is that I found out so soon...and now I have to wait so long to begin! Oh well, at least I KNOW!!!!!!!!

I've known since last May. My job has always been somewhat boring....but ever since I found out that I was accepted, the boredom has increased exponentially. The waiting is killing me!!!
eek.gif
Oh well, August will be here before we know it. I just wish I could fast forward the next few months.

Mike Chase

Hey can't wait to meet all you guys next year at KCOM!!!
I'm really excited about the program there, it is definately the strongest one I saw during all my interviews this fall.

Old Man Dave,
How do you know already? Did you guys already do the lottery?
cause that signifies time for my departure to Paterson, NJ, where I complete my final two years of KCOM education!
[/B]

Hey everyone, congratulations on your acceptance to KCOM, I think you will really like it here.

John DOe, we have already matched. We had the match a little over a week ago. Overall I think it went pretty well.

See you all in a few months. Enjoy your free time!!! (And if you don't have any now - make some, you won't have any again for a while)

------------------
Carrie
MSII KCOM

Good to hear the lottery went fairly well.
Can someone post it on www.kcomstudents.org that way we can see who is going where.

I'll check and see if the results can be posted somewhere on the web...but, it will most likely not be right away. You see, we begin two weeks of "trade season" and then onother two weeks of appeals immediately upon our return. So, the list is not exactly finalized, although, if you are happy with where you are, your spot can't be taken from you.

Are you actually interested in all of the site options? That is something I could most likely provide for you.

E-mail me to let me know what you are interested in finding out. I am one of the Chairmen for the Rotations Committee...and the two new Chairs are already pretty much set. The way it works is that two of each first year class' SGA officers/representatives will serve on the Rotations Committee in addition to the 6~7 second year members. That way, the first years learn the ropes and can be immediately up and running when they become second year students.

------------------
David W. Kelley, MS-2
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not interested in any of the regions, I am interested in who is going to what regions.
I am a current third year wanting to know who is coming to my region/site.
Thanks

John DOe,

Tell me your region and send me your e-maol address, off-line if you prefer, and I'll be happy to send you the list for your region, as it stands.

------------------
David W. Kelley, MS-2
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Hey is anyone going to KCOM doing the HPSP scholarship? Are there any KCOM student out there doing it now? The reason I ask is because I have recieved the scholarship.

Akron,
I'm applying for an Air Force HPSP scholarship but the board doesn't meet until the end of this month. I'll let you know.

Mike Chase

Mike,

My application was sent to the Army boards on December 5th, and I found out I was accepted December 8th. I'm sure you will find out just as fast. Good luck and let me know what happens.

P.S. I was on the site kcomstudents.org and they said that currently there are 80 students on HPSP. This site has alot of information about KCOM from the students point of view

Mark C. Duber

Yep, www.kcomstudents.org is also a great site w/ info on KCOM from a purely student perspective. KCOM has no control or ownership of the site..the only connection is that all of us who run the site are KCOM students...yes, I moderate there as well!

------------------
David W. Kelley, MS-2
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Hey future KCOM students, housing information
will be sent out in April for those that did not know.

I agree with most of the comments made above. I think what solidified my decision to attend K.C.O.M. was its heritage, the low standard of living, the small town atmosphere, and most importantly the curriculum. I look foward to meeting everyone in August.

What is everyone doing this summer before medical school at KCOM?

Hello,
Are there job opportunities for spouses in
the Kirksville area? Also are there malls
in the area? Is Kirksville urban at all?
Has anyone been to Lewisburg, WV? Does
Kirksville compare to Lewisburg?
Thanks,
Tim

------------------
tb

Originally posted by Thebeyonder:
Hello,
Are there job opportunities for spouses in
the Kirksville area? Also are there malls
in the area? Is Kirksville urban at all?
Has anyone been to Lewisburg, WV? Does
Kirksville compare to Lewisburg?
Thanks,
Tim

Hey Tim,
Yeh, I've been to Lewisburg. I interviewed at WVSOM early in October. Lewisburg is about 3000 people and the population of Kirksville is about 18,000. When I was at K'ville there was sort of a "mini-mall". It had a Sears (I think, or JCPenny). But it was not comparable to the JCPenny or Sears you would find in a regular mall. It was much smaller, I think it only had one level.
But there are all the fast food joints in K'ville...Taco Bell, Burger King etc. and many more places to eat than in Lewisburg. Lewisburg had a nicer appeal to it though, I have to admit. But maybe my oppinion is based on the autumn season (when all the trees look so beautiful) since I visited Lewisburg at around their color peak.
But without a doubt, I would choose K'ville (KCOM) over WVSOM-Lewisburg. KCOM has so much more to offer, IMHO.
cool.gif

Anybody know when the best time to look for housing is? What is the typical rent in Kirksville for a 1 br? 2br? Any advice or information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Originally posted by Akron, Ohio:
Mike,

My application was sent to the Army boards on December 5th, and I found out I was accepted December 8th. I'm sure you will find out just as fast. Good luck and let me know what happens.

I just found out that I got the AF HPSP scholarship.

doc-2-be,

Congrads on the acceptance, I'm sure all of us HPSP's will get to meet each other over the next two years at KCOM.

Originally posted by ER_DOc_2b:
Anybody know when the best time to look for housing is? What is the typical rent in Kirksville for a 1 br? 2br? Any advice or information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The admissions department keeps a black book of rental properties in the area that you can use at any time. All you have to do is show up and ask for it...they'll even give you access to a telephone.

As far as pricing...ranges from circa $250 up to as much as you wish to pay. However, be AWARE that much of the rental property here is not fit for human habitation, at least in my opinion.

My wife and I own a unit in the Woodwinds condo complex...if you want info, please contact me off of the list.

------------------
David W. Kelley, MS-2
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Congrats to everybody who will be attending KCOM next fall. I can't wait. I recently received an Air Force HPSP also, which means COT this summer in Alabama. Looking forward to meeting more of you (Mike Chase and I are both from Colorado Springs and have met).

Mehdi Shelhamer

How much are the deposits for tuition?
There is one upon receipt of acceptance, and some others in May and June.
I was accepted to another school that wants a deposit immediately and my interview at KCOM isn't until March 1. Any advice? I would love to attend KCOM, but I realistically won't know until I see the school. I don't feel that I can gamble with the other school and then be out a seat for next year's entering class at either schools. I know that you have a higher percentage of acceptance if invited to an interview at KCOM, but I don't know by how much. Anyone know what the chances of acceptance are at this point?
Thanks a bunch,
Toran

If I remember correctly the deposit at KCOM was $1000 upon acceptance (or maybe 500) and then another $1000 in may. It may have changed though. I wouldn't gamble. It would be very hard to turn down an acceptance on the hopes of getting into and wanting to come to KCOM before you have even been there. If you interview at KCOM at it is where you want to be then loosing the deposit at the other school won't be that bad. (Especially when you look at how much cheaper it is to live in Kirksivlle) Call the admissions department at KCOM, talk to an admissions councilor and explain your situation. Maybe they can get your interview moved up. (I don't know)

------------------
Carrie
MSII KCOM

Unless it has changed since Carrie and i started, it will be $1000 w/i 2-weeks of your acceptance and another $1000 in May. However, by the time the second grand is due, you should have long since made up your mind as to which school you will attend.

My adivce to you is twofold. One) under no circumstances would I allow an acceptance to fold on the hope that you will get in somewhere else. This game is far far too competitive! Besides, just think how relaxed you can be going to any interviews with that "Yes" letter stuffed into your pocket!

Second) even as much money as $1000 appears to be...it is not even a drop in the bucket when you view in the context of the total costs of your pre-med & medical education.

------------------
David W. Kelley, MS-2
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Howdy,

I'M IN! YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEE HHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
BSD
______
Work under the assumption that you will be happy one day

Congradulations BigSkyDreams!!

Originally posted by BigSkyDreams:
Howdy,

I'M IN! YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEE HHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

BSD,
Where in Montana are you from. I grew up there (Lewistown) and went to college in Bozeman.

Mike Chase

What other schools did you all get accepted at?

I spent five years in undergrad at Kirksville. Most housing leases in the ville run from May to May or August to August. There is some decent apartment housing just southeast of KCOM and also some nice apts on the south end of town. If you share rent with some roommates, you can get by on $150 a month rent + utilities. I did this at three separate apt. locations in K-ville and my rent + utilities never exceeded $250.

Just found out I got the Army HPSP scholarship. I see that there are quite a few "HPSP-ers" going to KCOM. If anyone knows, when do we do the OBC? Is it this summer? (As you can probably tell, I just found out and haven't been able to nail down the exacts yet)

Later all...just a couple months of undergrad left. Hell yeah!

Officer basic starts June 15th in Fort Sam Houst. in Texas. I'll probably get to meet alot of you there. It should be a fun time.

Hey fellow 2005'ers. I was accepted recently and I was just wondering where everyone was living. I am going to start apartment hunting and, of course, roommate hunting also.

------------------
"Life is what is happening while you are preparing for your future."

There are posts in the housing section. I was planning on living in a house off campus, because my girlfriend will be coming with me. However, on campus housing seems to be pretty good. It may be more expensive than living off campus though.
Let's keep this topic going though, for I'd like to meet all of my new classmates.

Toran

Everyone who has been accepted to KCOM's class of '05 will be receiving a user name & password sometime in April that will allow you onto to StillNet, our intranet. There will be a section on housing for you to peruse. You will also be able to begin interacting with your new classmates and current students, as I understand it,

------------------
David W. Kelley, MS-2
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

I tried to access stillnet by sending in my information to the computer department. I hope to gain access soon, so that I can confirm some housing there. When is the typical arrival date for students, and when would you recommend looking for housing.

Toran

I have not recieve my user id to get on the Still Net System, do you get yours or just contact someone about getting it? My fiance and I are going to kirksville late April to look for an apartment. We have no idea as to where to look, but I know we are not looking at the school apartments. When will you start looking?

Don't forget to look at Houses too. I think a lot of the houses you can find will be as nice if not nicer than the apartments and a lot cheaper.

You can look for housing by using information from the school, the paper (of course) or probably one of you best assets is contacting any of the students at the school you might know. That way you could find something that opens up in August (when most students want it) and you can talk to the rentor to see how they like the apartment and the landlord etc.

Good Luck,
See you in August

------------------
Carrie
MSII KCOM

Carrie, Why are you gonna be there in August? Are you doing a fellowship?

I am still waiting to get the user id...
I am planning to leave for MO in the middle of July via U-haul. However, I hope to secure housing before I leave. I am waiting to hear from some current MS-IIs, and the black book on stillnet.

Toran

Toran,
I will still be here in August because I chose to do my 3rd and 4th year rotations here in Kirksville. That is something when I came to Kirksville I never thought I would do but I have spent a good amount of time talking to students who did their rotations here and they are really appy with the experiences they got so I chose to stay here.
No fellowship for me. I thought about the OTM fellowship and I think it is probably a great opportunity but it just wasn't right for me.
I don't know anything about Stillnet and getting passwords. Stillnet didn't even exist until the end of our second quarter here so we never went through getting passwords etc.

------------------
Carrie
MSII KCOM

According to the Admissions folks, the usernames and passwords will go out sometime this month...you will be able to get on to view the housing adverts until 1 May.

Personally, I will be renting out my 2BR/2 full-bath apartment in the Woodwinds. E-mail me off SDN if you want further information!

------------------
David W. Kelley, MS-2
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

I have already written you several times Dave. The place sounds great, and I might take you up on that housing option. However, I saw how much you were gonna sell the place for and I thought I could just buy the place! I guess I am just from California, and can't imagine that cheap of a price for a house or rent for that matter.
What I really am holding out for is the ability to have a garden. If you can get me a garden, not including the utility shed, you have got me sold. I'll rent that place from you for sure.

Thanks OMD,

Toran

ps. Carrie I can't wait for that fellowship! I think that we met at the bar once while I was there for interview; I was with Duke. Can't wait to see you again.

Howdy,

Testing a theory

------------------
BSD
______
Work under the assumption that you will be happy one day