KCOM class of 2005 meeting room

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep Toran...I know you've contacted me. But, since there's no sig on the little black line, I gotta keep pimpin it! LOL!! By the way, I don't plan to sell it until I graduate...but who knows, maybe a rent to purchase deal???

Oh...and the garden thing...there is a "community" garden that the maintenence guy plows, waters and maintains that is open to residents. However, I think everyone only plants veggies in the thing. But, my wife keeps a few potted flowers out around the entry way and no one seems to mind.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Toran:
I have already written you several times Dave. The place sounds great, and I might take you up on that housing option. However, I saw how much you were gonna sell the place for and I thought I could just buy the place! I guess I am just from California, and can't imagine that cheap of a price for a house or rent for that matter.
What I really am holding out for is the ability to have a garden. If you can get me a garden, not including the utility shed, you have got me sold. I'll rent that place from you for sure.

Thanks OMD,

Toran

ps. Carrie I can't wait for that fellowship! I think that we met at the bar once while I was there for interview; I was with Duke. Can't wait to see you again.

------------------
David W. Kelley, MS-2
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

Members don't see this ad.

Are utilities included in the rent?
Maybe we should talk about this more...
I have seen the online pictures of the apartments and am interested in the housing, especially if there is a garden available.
Is the kitchen grill electric or gas?
What is you Internet connection speed like there?
Send me some mail, and we can get you a signature/john hancock.

Toran
When do you plan to start renting the place; I guess that is the most important thing now.

Hey Toran,
I recently rented a 3 bedroom place in the Woodwind complex. My lease starts June 1. I suppose that has nothing to do with your situation, since the units are individually owned. I was so pleased with the information and pics I got that I decided to rent the place without seeing it (wow, that's living with no regard for sanity), and I didn't even know about the community garden. I hear that Kirksville has cable modem service. Anyway, I won't be spending that much time there this summer, compliments of the USAF (I'll be attending officer training in Montgomery, Alabama during the lovely month of July). Anyway, I don't know how I got from there to here, but I'll stop for the sake of those reading.

[This message has been edited by KCOM2005 (edited April 10, 2001).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Renting sight unseen, that is a risk. But hopefully it will work out ok. Kirksville does have cable modems we also have DSL (though not at the woodwinds that is too far from the hub) DSL is available closer to the downtown area.

------------------
Carrie
MSII KCOM

Howdy to my fellow 2005ers. I can't wait to meet you all. Does anyone know what the quality of the on-campus housing?

Utilities included?...No

Community garden?...Yep, but very few use it, except for a few of the senior citizens that live in the Woodwinds

Electric/Gas?...as far as I know, the entire complex is all electric

Pictures?...Yes, I have some that I zap to whomever

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Toran:
Are utilities included in the rent?
Maybe we should talk about this more...
I have seen the online pictures of the apartments and am interested in the housing, especially if there is a garden available.
Is the kitchen grill electric or gas?
What is you Internet connection speed like there?
Send me some mail, and we can get you a signature/john hancock.

Toran
When do you plan to start renting the place; I guess that is the most important thing now.

------------------
David W. Kelley, MS-2
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

Send me those pictures Dave!

Check your email,

Toran

For more info on quality of student housing check out the following

www.kcomstudents.org
click on forums
click on new or prospective students
click on new students
Read the thread entitled "Hi All"

Feel free to post any questions there that you have as well.

------------------
Carrie
MSII KCOM

I am just so excited to go. I can't stand it. You have all been helpful and that increases my excitment. I feel like the little kid who can't sleep the night before Disneyland.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by fireman2DOc:
I am just so excited to go. I can't stand it. You have all been helpful and that increases my excitment. I feel like the little kid who can't sleep the night before Disneyland.

fireman2DOc,

I hear you!! I wish time travel was possible. I got accepted about a year ago. This last year, it's been quite a challenge to stay focused at work. However, light is at the end of the tunnel. I'm quitting my job in two weeks. Then it's chill time until school starts.

Mike

Carrie,

As far as the course load you take at KCOM, how much time do you spend in class per day and how much time do you have out of class to study and relax?

I know KCOM does great at helping almost everyone pass their boards the first time around but how high do students score?

How are the winters at KCOM. Is there a lot of snow? does it make it difficult to get around?

If you have a family, are there things to do in Kirksville?

Sorry I have so many questions. Maybe someone can anser them ir give their opinions. Thank you.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Aloha Kid:

I know KCOM does great at helping almost everyone pass their boards the first time around but how high do students score?

For the answer to this question, you might find some useful info at www.kcomstudents.org
When at that website, click on COMLEX RESULTS. Is seems KCOM students did very well that year.
CJ

Aloha Kid,
The time we spend in class varies from day to day and quarter to quarter. During the first year I would say you usually spend from 8 or 9am until 3 or 5pm in class. You usually only stay in class until 5pm on days when you have labs (Anatomy, Biochem, Histology, Physiology) Right now as a second year we are usually in class from 8am -3pm every day with the whole day being devoted to lecture.
The amount of time you have to study and relax really varies as well depending on how well you learn sitting in class and what kind of grades you want. It still generally takes most of your time to put toward school but not all of it. Extracurricular activities are very big at KCOM (clubs, IM sports, muscial groups etc) I have found that putting time into outside activities makes my studing more productive and the rest of my life more enjoyable.

Last year out of 150 students taking the boards only 1 person failed (it is my understanding they had extenuating circumstances such as a family emergency or something) As for scores the website refered to above is the best way I know to find more.

How you feel about winters in Kirksville depends on what you are used to. I am from the midwest so this is nothing. We get a decent amount of snow but nothing too bad. We don't seem to have a lot of ice like I am used to so I am happy about that.

Kirksville (KCOM) seems to be a pretty family oriented place. There are parks, the local lake to do things with your family at. Most school activities seem to be family oriented. One good thing about KCOM is that things are so close that it takes no time to run home and be with your family or for your family to be with you.
There are no amusement parks to take your kids to closer than 3.5 hours away (KC and St. Louis) there are no malls in Kirksville (we do have a Walmart and other stores though) There is also a NICE city pool that is a little less than 2 years old. (has both indoor and outdoor facilities)

I hope I answered your questions. Post back if you have more.

------------------
Carrie
MSII KCOM

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven?t taken out any undergraduate loans so I am unfamiliar with the process. I applied for the student loans quite a while ago and I am still waiting to hear. I am also having some trouble believing that the government will actually guarantee a loan for so much money. Do the loans really pay for all of school and living expenses or do most of you have some back-up funding? How much do these loans cover? Do they come immediately? What if you made a fair amount of money prior to entering medical school? I?m sorry to be so ignorant in this area. I would appreciate some input from my new KCOM family on this matter if you have a moment to spare.

The loans do cover everything but you do have to live on a budget. I think they assume that even if you made quite a bit the year before you came to school that you will not be working in school so you won't have that income.

Do you have filled out your FAFSA and any applications with KCOM? If you have then you are on the ball. If you have any questions just give the financial aid department a call and ask them if they have received everything they need from you for financial aid and what you should do next. (I still do that once in a while if I am not sure I did everything correctly.)

You are right in that the loans are a TON of money but it is there for the taking. Try to seek out all of the outside scholarships you can find though and apply for everything KCOM gives you a chance to. You never know what you will get and every little bit helps. Some of the student loans are quit pricey in the interest department and you want to avoid those if at all possible.

Loan checks are usually available the first day of classes of each quarter. Financial aid usually can tell you the exact day.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

------------------
Carrie
MSII KCOM

Thanks for the info Carrie. I appreciate it. On another note, I have noticed a number of non-traditional students posting on the sites I have frequented. How old is the average student @ K?ville? Did many of the students have previous careers?

Do students typically change over to Missouri residents when they go to KCOM (change of driver's license/plates, taxes, etc.)? Does it make a difference if you have a spouse that is going to be working there? It seems silly to do all that changing if we're most likely only going to be in the state for 2 years.

On a separate subject, I don't know who you are "KCOM2005er", but your name makes me awfully uncomfortable. What kind of sick joke is this? Are you stalking me?

Glad the new class is getting to know each other.

The average age for entering classes the last two years has been 26 or 27. My class had students who ranged in age from 20 to 39 when we started. The class below me still has an average age similar to ours but they have 3 or 4 students in their fourties. It is a nice mix over all.

Many students do not change their address over to MO. I know some do but not all. The friends of mine that changed their address over where homeowners who didn't have an address else where to claim. I chose not to go through the hassle to change my address over to MO. If you life in an area of high property taxes it might be worth it though because taxes, like everything else, are very cheap in Kriksville.

I don't know why it seems that it is more of the non-trads from KCOM that post more on this board. I know we have more computer junkies in the class.

------------------
Carrie
MSII KCOM

Hey Carrie,
thanks for the reply. I'm still not certain if it would be beneficial for me to change my residency status or not (I don't really have another permanent address I can use).

I was wondering if anyone else is considering having children while at KCOM. It seems that if you are crazy enough to actually have children while in med school, you should consider doing so in the first 2 years. This is what I gather from speaking with doctors. After the first couple years there is even less time to start having children (with clinicals, residency, etc.). Anyway, just wondering if anyone had some insight on the subject.

Also, KCOM2005er, I hope that my earlier post about your choice of username didn't offend you, I just thought it was a funny coincidence.

No offense at all. I forgot my password and I wanted to post a question so I just started making up names until I found one that I could open a new account. Maybe I should change my name to copycat. I should really make a better effort to remember my passwords. I will think of some other user name so you will not get confused with me, I wouldn?t wish that on anyone. Hope to meet you in Aug.

KCOM2005er,

You sound like you are a nice guy. Are you from BYU or something?

I am not from BYU but all the rest of my 5 sisters and one brother are. I'm the black sheep of the family. Or you could say I am the running ute of the family.

As a matter of wonder, I have always thought that a DO school would open one day in Provo UT,"Brigham Young's College of Osteopathic Medicine"

Am I the only one to have ever thought this?

It seems as if there is something in the water in Kirksville. Either that or there just isn't anything else to do. Many of my classmates have had children or will have had children while at KCOM.

As for a DO school at BYU. Until that happens we could probably change KCOM's name to the BYU School of Ostopathic Medicine. :rolleyes:

YES!!! I remembered my password. Sorry again KCOM2005. From this point forward Fireman2DOc will be playing the part of KCOM2005er.

About the BYU thing, it just seems like BYU has been a well-represented undergrad school at KCOM. The State of Utah seems to want more docs; maybe a satellite program of KCOM would do the trick. Just thinking out load, ignore me if you can.

Andrew
:D

Hey everyone,
just wondering what the weather is like this time of year in lovely Kirksville? Moving time is near, I'm only working 5 days this month (trying to use up all the vacation time I've accumulated). My wife just got a job teaching 2nd grade in K'ville, so things are looking good. I'm ready to get things rolling, I may die of anticipation at any moment. :D

When is everyone moving up (or down) to Kirksville? I am going to go look for a place here in the middle of May. I want to find something that is fairly nice. I realize that we may have to wait for something to come available, but that is fine with me. My wife is about 5 months pregnant so we are coming down as early as something is available.

If you know when you are going up to K'ville, then more power to ya I guess. I will see you all definitely by next fall!

Later,
Bry

Hey we are up to a sixth page now! woohoo i guess

wannabe_doctor,
nice to see that you are going to K'ville, I didn't know that when I replied to your family post. Looking forward to meeting everyone, including your new baby!

Howdy,

We're moving in a couple of weeks.

KCOM2005, how was the your brides interview/employment with the school district handled? When did she apply? When did she hear back? Etc, Etc, Etc. Email me if you'd like. Thanks.

Howdy,

Doc_2_be, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Yes, I'm at MSU-Bozeman. It will be good to have a few Montanans in Kirksville. When did you graduate from MSU?

Guess what,
I was born in Montana and still have quite a bit of family there (mostly in Livingston).

Anyway, my wife started the application process a couple of months ago. She turned in an application to the district and started to work on gaining her Missouri application. A couple of weeks ago the district started to check up on her references (which was a bit of a surprise). Then they called her up and told her that they wanted to interview her. They were very accommodating; they set up a phone interview for her so that she wouldn't have to travel there. The interview went well and they called her up the next day to tell her that she had a 2nd grade job. She is very excited; she says everyone seems very nice there. The school she is teaching at is the primary school (grades K-3 I think). Apparently, there are 9 classes for each grade level. Well, if we can be of any more help let us know.

I will be attending KCOM next year and just wanted to say hello. I am just as excited as all of you seem to be about starting school!!! Can't wait to get started!!

Hey friends, throw me a bone. Am totally behind the power curve if I haven't found a place to live yet? I was interested in the on-campus bit that is directly across the street but rumor has it that it is completely full, and a huge waiting list to boot. What are you guys and gals going to do?

Andrew

Fireman2Doc;

First, you should call the admissions people about the on-campus houseing and not just off of rumors.

Second, all of the members of your class should/has received usernames & passwords to get onto KCOM's website to peruse housing options. Renting to KCOM & TSU students is a cottage industry here in the 'Ville. If you have not gotten this information, again, call the admissions office.

Lastly, there is a Century 21 agency in town. Call them and ask to speak to Larry Daniels. he was very helpful to my wife and I when we moved here two looooong years ago.

Best of luck to you and...let me emphasize that it is very risky/unwise to rent property here in K'ville w/o actually seeing it! :cool:

Have others received there Stillnet password/username?

Nope, haven't received anything like that yet. I keep going to the mailbox..getting REALLY excited when there is something from KCOM...then bummed because it's about housing, or spousal stuff...which doesn't apply to me because I already live here! I am waiting for CRITICAL info about SCHOOL! Not to say some of this isn't important to those of you from far away...I am just excited!!!!!!!!!!! Be sure to post it when you get into town! Wouldn't hurt to get together...especially if you would like someone to show you around. [email protected]

In the summer months before I started, it seemed as though every other day I got a package, some small & some large, from KCOM. After a while, it became rather anti-climactic.

I just wanted to say hi to all my fellow 2005ers. I have bittersweet feelings about returning to Kirksville after having spent 5 years in undergrad there, but I am definitely excited to be in the "Ville" under different circumstances now. Can't wait to meet some new people!
...and in addendum to OldManDAve's housing comments, I would also suggest trying Four Horizons Realty seeing that they manage most of the properties in the middle of town and around the KCOM campus. Tom Duncan would be the man to talk to there. And I completely concur that it is MUST to do a walk through of any property before renting. There are some nice places, but don't take the realtor's word for it.
See You Soon!

Funny you should mention the spousal stuff. Though I appreciate the effort, much of this stuff is extra copies of what I had already received. Nice thought, but my wife and I do actually communicate. Not to be unfair, there have been a couple of useful bits of info.

The packing is on for me, The move in date will be June 1st (I know this isn't the best time with graduation going on).

I think Double Elle is right, those that get there this summer should throw back a few beers and get to know each other.

Hey, where did Akron and a few of the other early posters to this topic go? Seems kind of quiet around here lately. :D

Congrats on your acceptance! Where are you headed?

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure there is much your friend can do but wait. It is my understanding that the wait list has an order to it so that as one person declines an acceptance to the school the top person on the wait list is given the opportunity to take that spot. I think it is unlikely that they randomly choose from the list or that people can change their rank (feel free to correct me).

As to advice for your other friend, remind them that there is always next year. It sounds far away, but the time flies. I would suggest that if they aren't already involved in gaining some sort of hospital experience that they do that. Persistance is powerful. Also, this friend will have all the inside info when they get in and start school since s/he will have friends like you to give tips. It probably seems like the end of the road to them, but with some friendly help they just might be encouraged enough to start the process all over again (now's the time).

As for beeing waitlisted at KCOM. There is some hope. Some of the people that get waitlisted will later on get early acceptances to the class of 2006. While that would be frustrating it is still better than no acceptance at all. They are still interviewing all of this week.

Things I wish I knew before going to KCOM:

1. Spend your summer having fun, do something memorable

2. Don't study, it won't do you any good. If you feel like you need to study pick up information on studying strategies (the ones you use may not work for you here) and on taking multiple choice tests (there are some definate tricks) - I think Oklahoma Notes makes a book on this for medical students specifically.

3. Don't buy any books etc until you meet with some upper classmen and ask them what you need. As several students until you find one that studies like you do and compare all of your answers.

4. Don't buy an equipment before you come to school (ex. Stethescope) SOMA gives you a pretty good deal on them.

5. Don't buy scrups and disecting equipment until you get here (NOWPA, a club at school, sells used stuff for cheap)

6. Keep an eye out for second years, my class, who are getting ready to leave town who are selling things dirt cheap.

7. You will need OLD TESTS.. .Send in your money before you get here so you have the tests ready for you when you get here.

8. Note service is important as well, you won't use it for every class but when you use it it is invaluable.

9. Ask students in the class above you how to study for each instructor. Time is valuable and these can be real time savers.

10. Hook up with a study group (or partner) While this may not be your style it is amazing what a diferent persons perspective might do for you plus it will be someone who will keep you going at night when you would really rather go to sleep.

Well that is it for now. Not because I am out of ideas but because you all would probably rather not read all of them now and I need to get back to studying.

See you all in a few months.

:rolleyes:

Is it worth having cable modem service in Kirksville? How much do you use the internet at home? Is the service any good, or are there lots of bottlenecks? I can see myself getting frustrated with slow service (like a regular dial-up). I am hoping to spend some time at home studying rather than all of it at school, does this make it worth it? This may also just be a futile attempt to gain some support in my favor so that I may justify to my wife the expense of broad band, so any opinions in my favor would be particularly useful. :D

I have the DSL and love it. I know several of my classmates have the cablemodems and love them. (Maybe one will post back) Having high speed access is nice if you study at home because of all of the notes and large files you will be wanting to download. You can get by without it though.

The one caution I have is that having high speed access makes playing on the internet even more tempting than it already is when you are studying something really dull.

:cool:

I am thinking about coming out to K'ville the first weekend of June to look for a place to live, does anyone know of any reason that would not be the best time to visit? Secondly, how do we get a hold of the old tests to study from? Thanks!!

With each successive class, there is progressively more information that is available via StillNet. Most all of it is available in the paper form...however, a significant amount is not. Yes, you can definitely get by with dial-up or even nothing; but that would be an enormous pain in the @$$!!!

Having internet access is mandatory -- you can use the computers at school -- but they tend to be dinosaurs and StillNet congested during the school day.

Long & short, if you have the $$, I would STRONGLY recommend broad-band access of some sort. I have cablemodem and LOVE it. DSL does not reach all the way to the Woodwinds...all of 3 miles. However, all of the units are pre-wired for cable tv...which means you can get cablemodem service.

Best of luck to you guys! Keep an eye out both on here, SDN, in our advertising section and on www.kcomsga.org & www.kcomstudents.org for members of my class selling items CHEAP! I know I will unloading some textbooks...once I know I have passed Boards!!

:D

rsanders,
I'm driving out in a uhaul on May 31/June 1 to K'ville from Colo. Springs. Do you need a ride? It is a one way offer but I think tickets back to Denver from Kansas City are pretty cheap. Anyway send me an email if I can be of any help. You may run into KCOM graduation, I think it is June 1 or 2.

Hey Carrie and Dave, thanks for the info.

Any idea how much cable modem service runs in Kville? Just wondering.
I must say that I secured some good housing in Kirksville. The black book in the admissions office gives some great listings for realtors that cater to KCOM students. There are still some great listings left for 1 person dwellings. If anyone is interested in a particularly good one at a great price, email me.

About three weeks ago I visited KCOM to look for an apartment and I found one. I will be living in the woodwinds. If you have not looked for an apartment yet I would do it as soon as you can. It seemed that alot of the quality places out there were already taken. I used Century 21, and they seemed like they still had a decent amount of apartments available. I did not realize how fast nice apartment go in K'ville.

Hey, I was wondering if the test files offered by the notetaking service are different from the test banks that some of the clubs have (Atlas, etc.)? Is it necessary to order these 1600 pages or can you join a club and have the files avail. for use?

Some of the clubs like Atlas ect have the same test files.

With the Atlas test files you do not get your own copy but rather you share them with others. Atlas has many, many more years of tests though.

Thets Psi - you get the same test files as the class with your own copy given. I don't know much about how they will be done this year, I got mine there first year and they were not as organized or complete as the ones bought from the class noteservice. There are new people running Theta Psi though so it should be a lot better.

:eek: