KCOM class of 2005 meeting room

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey ya'll I am glad to see everybody is excited about school. I share your excitment and look forward to starting in August. I am just glad to have a few more weeks before things get going to be able to have some fun. I look forward to meeting all of you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, persistance was the name of the game!

I'm spending my summer waiting tables, playing some golf and trying to get in as much fishing as possible...

I'm trying to find someone to work for me Monday and Tuesday so I can come up and check out a couple places--I'll let ya'll know if that plan comes together.

I'm engaged--getting married July 28th and the fiance and I have decided to try to find a house--we'll see how that goes. Any leads?

Julie won't be joining me in K'ville, but being from St. Louis she plans to come up as many weekends as possible. Anybody else in the same boat?

Congratulations on being accepted to KCOM. If you are still looking for a place to live, consider the Atlas House. At $265/mth (inc: cable, util, wash/dryer, beer) it is a great deal. I am the current house manager and can answer any questions you may have. Please email me.

Steve Arbogast
KCOM 2004

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, a couple of you have mentioned being in Kville already--my fiance and I are gonna be there Monday night and Tuesday (maybe Tuesday night as well) looking for a place to live.

If anybody is interested (or knows someone there who might be) in getting together, I'm all ears...

Monkey,
I am really glad to hear you got in. I was really frustrated when you said you were waitlisted. I was really hoping you would get in. I think that is the hardest part of being a student here and getting to know interviewess by having them stay at your house or going out to eat with them and then watching them get rejected or put on the waitlist.
enjoy the rest of your summer. Take some time to enjoy you fiance while you are all in the same town.

None of my business, Monkey, but your new wife won't live with you after the wedding? Or she just won't move to KV until after July 28th? Just wondering . . .

john

p.s.--i've been married eight years and have 2 kids. if kids don't bother you, you're more than welcome to come over Mon or Tues and we can grill, or we can go out somewhere in town! Glad you got in!

No, she does want us to live together, but she's a teacher and has already signed a contract here in St. Louis and it's all complicated.

It sucks--but sometimes tough decisions have to be made.

I'll shoot you an email about Monday/Tuesday.

I'll be in Kirksville on the 13th and 14th looking for housing w/ my wife. I know there is a listing of housing on the schools website, I also saw posts about not renting "unseen," any other advice? Does anyone know any good land lords? Also any 2nd years getting ready to move with a decent place? Thanks,

Dave

I have been trying to buy a bike online for sometime now in preparation for that single track around the lake. I can't wait...
I find myself driving while daydreaming about study groups...Sick I know. My brain is starting to decompose from all the rest and recreation!

Can't wait to meet you all,

Toran

Toran,

i know excatly how you feel--i have mush for brains. How can i get back into gear after getting up at 9:00 every morning? Oh, well, maybe we'll all be in the same boat!

Dave,

It was my experience that the school housing list had mostly run-down residences. If you are looking for a house, I've seen several in town and you might have luck checking the classifieds (www.kirksvilledailyexpress.com) or checking with a realtor--let them know you're a KCOM student because most landlords love the students here; Heritage House is good, as is Century 21. If you want an apt or condo (saves on upkeep!), we live in the condos on Sundown about a block from the school. I know several students here will be moving out in August, but i don't know how the timing will work out there. We have met some friends in the Woodwinds apts, and we both thought those were VERY nice, too (but a little far from campus; of course, nothing in KV is very far from anywhere!). Hope all this helps!

Tom Duncan is a great realtor. (He can also be spotted regularly at the town watering holes. (i.e. T.P.'s every day) Really nice guy that won't B.S. you. He is at 4 Horizon's realty.
Toran....good news. Some of the trail at the lake has been redone. Apparently it is really nice now. Not a trail for novices at least. I just traded my bike in for a Trek 4900. I love it but there isn't a decent trail around here to properly break it in.
Hopefully you can find a good ride soon so we can tear the lake up come August!!

Man, I get whip-lash every time I see a bike go the opposite direction. The thought of a bike just makes me whimper; I need a good ride to get out my aggressions.
Can't wait to move in, the drive is going to be tough though.

So Justin, you up for a good trail ride, and some serious beer afterwards?

Toran

Man, I get whip-lash every time I see a bike go the opposite direction. The thought of a bike just makes me whimper; I need a good ride to get out my aggressions.
Can't wait to move in, the drive is going to be tough though.

So Justin, you up for a good trail ride, and some serious beer afterwards?

Toran

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey 2005,

If you are in town on July 3rd or 4th Atlas will be having a get together for everyone. It should be starting in the afternoon, depending on weather. Feel free to stop by. We'll be grilling some food and there will be drinks for all (soda or adult).

Does anyone know what our schedule is for the first year? What are our classes, times, holidays?

I just got back from K'ville. I got a place that is right behind that "med row" complex. It is apparently administrated by the same organization as med row. Anyway, what kind of online service is best for that area? I've got some info from cable one and the phone company in the area. Does anyone have any advise for me in this area?

I also got one hell of a speeding ticket in Milan while going back to the airport in KC. He busted me doing 83 in a 55. The officer claimed that because my speed was so excessive that I had to appear before the judge. I am all for taking responsibility for my adventures of speeding in my rental car through Missouri but there is one problem; I live in Salt Lake City. My court date is well before I will move down for school. I've called the prosecutors office and they are insisting I appear before the judge. Does anyone have any experience with these small town governments that can give me some direction? I haven't had a ticket in 10 years but it looks like you will all be going to school with a wanted man. Any advice would be great. Hope to meet you guys soon.

Fortunately, missouri practices "good ol' boy" law. Call the prosecuting attorney in milan and he will settle with you out of court without an appearance. Of course, if it was state patrol, you might be f**ked. A lot of prosecuting attorneys won't even talk to you if you are not an attorney. They want to talk to your representation. If the prosecutor insisted on you appearing, get an attorney to talk to him/her and he might change his mind. If you need to find a local attorney, Jay Benson handles a lot of traffic stuff out of Kirksville. Sorry about your ticket man. Any road going into or out of Kirksville is a speed trap. A hard lesson learned on your first visit. During my undergrad at Truman I racked up 3 tickets before I learned my lesson.

BTW you can look up the schedule for the class of 05 by going to the KCOM website and going to student services < Student support services < college catalog < college calendar < class of 2005

Bustinbooty, I just got a 2001 specialized stumpjumper - I can't tell you how excited I am to finally have a bike again!
I treated myself a little because it has been a long summer.
Can't wait to hit the trails there.

Toran

It's too bad you two can't come mnt bikining Moab with me before school. Have you guys done any riding in the Utah area?

Andrew

Originally posted by Monkey:
•HELL YEAH!!

After three arduous years, three app cycles--I got in! Third time is the charm, baby!!

I had all but given up when I was called for an interview on the 21st. They called me yesterday to give me THE GOOD NEWS!!

I'm looking forward to meeting you all and am definitely planning on coming up there within the next week or so to find a place to live--I know I'm WAY behind on that one.
Anyway, when I do, maybe some of us should try to get together or something--whatdya say?

Carrie and OMD--I met the both of you in Feb. 2000 before that interview at dinner at Ailerons (after which I was placed on the dreaded "Alternate List"). Anyway, thanks for your advice and everything and now it's finally happened--on to Kirksville!

WOOHOO!!•

Hey...is this the same "Monkey" that Carrie and I had dinner with at Aileron's about 1 app cycle ago? If it is...CONGRATULATIONS!!! PERSEVERENCE certainly pays DIVIDENDS!!!

:D

Originally posted by ndrw:
•Does anyone know what our schedule is for the first year? What are our classes, times, holidays?

I just got back from K'ville. I got a place that is right behind that "med row" complex. It is apparently administrated by the same organization as med row. Anyway, what kind of online service is best for that area? I've got some info from cable one and the phone company in the area. Does anyone have any advise for me in this area?

I also got one hell of a speeding ticket in Milan while going back to the airport in KC. He busted me doing 83 in a 55. The officer claimed that because my speed was so excessive that I had to appear before the judge. I am all for taking responsibility for my adventures of speeding in my rental car through Missouri but there is one problem; I live in Salt Lake City. My court date is well before I will move down for school. I've called the prosecutors office and they are insisting I appear before the judge. Does anyone have any experience with these small town governments that can give me some direction? I haven't had a ticket in 10 years but it looks like you will all be going to school with a wanted man. Any advice would be great. Hope to meet you guys soon.•

Welcome to life and the LAW according to backwoods Missouri! Unfortunately, there is most likely not a single thing you can do other than appear as requested. You have to remember that here in the nether-lands, they can choose to be as stringent as they wish about the law...and, it is most likely a primary source of revenue for the cities/counties...farms do not provide the best of taxation bases.

Just last week, my wife had her car inspected for tag renewal...they refused to pass it, even though it's been licensed here for over 2 years, due to her tinted windows. In MO-land, tinted windows ARE ILLEGAL. In civilized areas of the country, if you tinting is from the factory -- meaning it is chemically applied and not an applied film -- they will cut you some slack. However, the wondefully benevolent super-trooper officer told me that we'd have to have her passenger and driver's side windows REPLACED! He said he could not and would not make any allowances for the fact it is factory done since he did not believe that there was any difference in how the tint was applied.

SOLUTION??? We rolled donw the windows and went to another place -- passed with flying colors despite having those EVIL OFFENSES TO SOCIETY AS WE KNOW IT ---> THE TINTED WINDOW!!!!!

:rolleyes:

OldmanDave...very cleverly done. You couldn't be more right about the good ole'boy law of missouri.
Toran, congrats on the bike. I wanted to test ride a stumpjumper but there just so few specialized dealers here in the old breadbasket of america. I did some riding yesterday along some trails of the current river and got the fork pretty much broke in. I'm ready to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everyone enjoy their last month of summer. I'll be in Kirksville in less than a month!!!

Hey y'all... I just found this little forum tonight, and it's made me so happy!! I've been wondering for months about who else will be starting in the fall, so it's been great to read all the comments.

I'll be in town and sort of into my new digs as of 8/5, if anyone's up for dinner before orientation let me know!

The day after my interview I was on my way out of town when officer friendly pulled me over because my rental car had expired plates, I figured I'd get a warning but he actually gave me a ticket, saying it is still the drivers responsibility to make sure the car is properly marked. Supposedly Thrifty was going to take care of it but I've had to make a ton of calls to get them to do anything. I'll be in Kirksville this weekend to find housing. Any ideas?

Dave, Looking for a place to live? My husband and I are looking to sell our house. Only 20 minutes from Kville..your own ponds, horse barn, two-story, 4BR, 2bath home! LOTS of places to study! hehe..
Good luck on your search!!

HEY 2005'ers!!!! I am finally feeling better (from the Mexico trip) and hubby and I want to meet some of you! We are going out on the town on Saturday, July 14th in Kville!!!! Email me if you would like to meet up. We are looking at a late (7-8) dinner and then who knows. Sorry this is late notice, but we are terrible at planning things like this. Do it on a whim. So....Let me hear from you if you want to get together! :eek: [email protected]

I'll be moving out to K'Ville with my soon to be husband on August 7. I can't wait to meet you all.

bustinbooty - I'm Navy HPSP. Just got back from OIS. If you have questions, let me know. I'm really excited about the program. There was another incoming KCOMer there. So there are at least 3 of us.

Monkey - I can't believe it. I'm getting married on the same day, July 28! Congratulations to you.

Wow. Pretty crazy going from beginning a new marriage to beginning medical school, huh?

We start orientation less than 72 hours after Julie and I return from our honeymoon. I hope I can change gears that quickly.

ER Doc, I am extremely excited to hear about your OIS experience. I want the inside scoop!! Unfortunately, I missed OIS this year due to some terrible hang ups with my physical clearance. I am allergic to cats and have asthma due to them when I am around them. The Navy thought this condition warranted a necessity of medical waiver so I had to see a pulmonologist, etc. Long story short, I missed OIS this year because of that and now I won't have a window to go until after I graduate KCOM!! Nevertheless, I still would be interested in your experiences. ...Look forward to talking to you at school.

Originally posted by Monkey:
•Wow. Pretty crazy going from beginning a new marriage to beginning medical school, huh?

We start orientation less than 72 hours after Julie and I return from our honeymoon. I hope I can change gears that quickly.•

Monkey Boy -- are you the same person that had dinner with me, Carrie and a couple of others about a year + ago?

:confused:

OMD,
Yes, that is the same Monkey boy.

BustinBooty,
in the past some students at KCOM have done their preceptorship over a vacation (like christmas etc) so they could get their military OIS in during the summer between the first and second year. You could probably go to the KCOM Miliatary Med website and contact on of their officers through their e-mail address and see if any of them know more about it and can help you.

I didn't really have much to say, but I hated seeing our school so low on the topic list!

I am getting excited about school starting! I am so bored staying at home it is not even funny!

come on guys!!! Lets get together! only 2 weeks until we officially begin....eeks!!

Hey hey there fellow classmates. I am coming back to Kirksville on August 3. I have been in Alabama (yes, it is damn hot here) for all of July. I have been at the Air Force Commissioned Officer Traing class. I'm looking forward to seeing some new faces in Kirksville. It sounds like people should be moving in soon. If you need an extra hand when you get to Kirksville, let me know. We may even be able to form up a moving in team, anyone interested (John?)? I know that John and I (as well as our wives) have recently moved to Kirksville and can answer quite a few questions.

Oh, yeah, I can help! I know that one of our fellow classmates (who apparently does not post on SDN) is moving out here on August 1 (Wed). I will be helping her move then. Let me know if you might be able to help. Also, a lot of second-years are moving out that same week--if you can, you might consider helping them out; they can offer a lot of good insight in exchange! Two of my friends are moving on Aug 3 and 9, respectively, out of the condos on Sundown Dr (off of Osteopathy behind the school)--look for the moving vans if you can help! :)

Look for the moving vans so you can get some good stuff Cheap. Especially books.

I just wanted to post and let everyone know that the condo next door to me is open and not rented, yet (usually these condos rent fast). The contact person is Tom Duncan at (660) 665-3400. I don't have any interest in this property except to get some decent neighbors! The big attraction of these condos is the proximity to the school. You would be within walking distance--it is about a block from here. They are also nice and very well-kept, in addition to being in a nice area. Most of the tenants are students, so you will be in good company. The school is about to start construction in the field north of here to build a nursing home type facility, but we haven't yet noticed any detriment due to this project. If you haven't yet found a nice place to live, this could be the ideal location: 2 story, 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath with garage (auto door opener--big help in the winter!). Free snow removal and lawn care. Our favorite pasttime is to watch the chipmunks, rabbits, deer, etc, eat in our back yard!

bustinbooty and Toran,
Keep your damn hands off my computer. I must say that I am quite disappointed to have met you. All that excitement all summer has led to severe disappointment. Well, hopefully you guys drop out.

signed,
your hero

what up doc?

I think that histo just officially kicked my a$$!

Toran
"NO SLEEP 'TIL BROOKLYN"

Histo is "Going to be GREAT"! I don't know what you guys are worried about. Ha Ha Ha.

Mr. Extreme Sarcasm

My word on Histo,
don't waste your time going to class. OLD TESTS, OLD TESTS, OLD TESTS. (not as much old quizes) one quiz the whole class will do well on the next one will kick your ass. this is just how it seems to go.

Goodluck, I hope you are all enjoying Kirksville.

:eek:

Okay that histo quiz....man that sucked.
The word on the street is that by 3 or 4 weeks into the quarter, only about 1/2 to 1/3 of the class is attending histo lecture. Anyone heard the same/different.
Man O' Man.
J Moody

I think the 3-4 weeks may be a bit short but very true. I never found histo be be worth going to class. though one of the lecturer's was quite entertaining in the way he walks around the room and is so hyper.

they are both supernice guys who will give you all of the extra time you might need they just weren't great as lecturer's (at least in my opinion)

what I am wondering....what is the difference between a 'quiz' and an 'exam'..
when you have to study the exact same for both??? That doesn't seem to make sense.

If anyone can make sense of it for me...I'd really appreciate it! I mean, after studying for this quiz, I feel like we just need to go ahead and have the real exam..because I am not studying any differently for tomorrow's quiz..."know everything"
...that's an exam thing, isn't it?

Focus on the end result, and don't get too caught up on the individual trees from the forrest.

So, How did histo go for the rest of you?

I am considering making a t-shirt...
The front will say "Got 70?"
The back will say "Just DO it!" with a cadeucus on its side and the snake arching up on the end.

Man, what once was found, now is lost.

The only equation you need to know:

C=DO

It'll get you there, man.

Biochem pains me to the heart!

Toran