KCU Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not sure about the pepper deck (I switched from it after ~200 cards) but the lol deck covers a good deal of stuff not in sketchy.

Members don't see this ad.

The only thing worrying me right now is all the antibiotics we have to memorize. I didn't go to that lecture or watch it, so I'm unsure of what's expected from us for that one so far.
I didn't go or watch either. Putthoff said there will only be 10-12 questions on that content, so watching a 3 hour lecture on it felt like a waste of time to me. You can do sketchy pharm for the drugs listed in the DSA.

I also punted any basic micro stuff, as I don't really know how important it's going to be. I'll probably just end up watching some Boards and Beyond to cover that stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else feel like super behind for this exam lol? The sketchy videos are taking me forever because I'm doing cards every 5 or 7 videos, and having to keep up with the reviews takes a lot of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else feel like super behind for this exam lol? The sketchy videos are taking me forever because I'm doing cards every 5 or 7 videos, and having to keep up with the reviews takes a lot of time.

I'm doing this method and while its taking longer I feel like I am retaining a lot more. keep at it my dude we are almost done.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm doing this method and while its taking longer I feel like I am retaining a lot more. keep at it my dude we are almost done.

Yeah i feel like the retention is amazing. I remember about 95% of the facts for each pathogen. Just taking a while. About to start viruses now.

I'm finally wrapping up Sketchy micro today after starting on Wednesday. I do however many videos it takes me to get to ~50 new cards in the pepper deck, then roll through the cards. I've been doing 200 new cards a day + all reviews....so yeah, hella time consuming, especially when I get a block where almost every video is 10+ minutes lol

Haven't even looked at pharm yet. Not sure how I'm gonna approach that yet-- I wanna do sketchy, but the videos all seem long ha

Yeah i feel like the retention is amazing. I remember about 95% of the facts for each pathogen. Just taking a while. About to start viruses now.
I thought viruses came was one of the easiest to do personally, nematodes has been a bitch though

I'm finally wrapping up Sketchy micro today after starting on Wednesday. I do however many videos it takes me to get to ~50 new cards in the pepper deck, then roll through the cards. I've been doing 200 new cards a day + all reviews....so yeah, hella time consuming, especially when I get a block where almost every video is 10+ minutes lol

Haven't even looked at pharm yet. Not sure how I'm gonna approach that yet-- I wanna do sketchy, but the videos all seem long ha

Damn that's a lot of cards.

Is anyone who is using Sketchy + Pepper reading CMMRS? I'm set to finish all the cards by tomorrow but haven't been reading it and I'm worried about the fact that I might be punting important info.

Is anyone who is using Sketchy + Pepper reading CMMRS? I'm set to finish all the cards by tomorrow but haven't been reading it and I'm worried about the fact that I might be punting important info.
Nope. Not worth a couple of extra points IMO, and he covered a lot of the bugs not covered in Sketchy throughout the CIS sessions.

Guys, I have lost all motivation. Help me lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
What are you guys doing for practice questions and also for antibiotics stuff? I have so many cards to do probably gonna be up late tonight lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you guys doing for practice questions and also for antibiotics stuff? I have so many cards to do probably gonna be up late tonight lol.
No practice questions outside of the random ones from tutoring. Sketchy for abx.

Tutoring questions suck for MOD :(

Badly formatted and only a handful. But I guess it's all we got.

Idk how I feel so far behind, no motivation to study I guess. But I have like 400 new cards to go over today... wish me luck lol. Gonna cram in antibiotics tomorrow I guess.

Idk how I feel so far behind, no motivation to study I guess. But I have like 400 new cards to go over today... wish me luck lol. Gonna cram in antibiotics tomorrow I guess.
I think his CIS questions are the most useful practice questions for this test so I'm not going to get lost in the weeds of outside sources.

You got this!! We're so close

I'd honestly say read it if you can. Its a quick read and there are quite a few bugs in there that are not in sketchy. There are helpful Mnemonics, pictures, and charts he references to in the LOs and the lectures.

I'm trying to find a zanki deck, and this is overwhelming... Which one do I download? lol

Does anyone on here have good info about rotation sites? It's kind of hard to tell from the info posted on the KCU website what is considered to be a good site and what isn't-- specifically talking about ones that aren't in the KC region.

Does anyone on here have good info about rotation sites? It's kind of hard to tell from the info posted on the KCU website what is considered to be a good site and what isn't-- specifically talking about ones that aren't in the KC region.

The best bet is asking 3rd years what their opinions are once they're in the rotation. For the new sites, that will be your only saving grace.

Also, "good site" and "bad site" is relative depending on what specialties you're interested in, what your priorities for cost and living situation are, etc. So I'd start figuring out your priorities now, and when it comes time you can ask pointed questions that will help inform your decision.

Did they ever post a tentative class schedule for 2nd year? I can only find the new 1st year schedule online

Fellow soon-to-be M2s, what’s your current plan for board studying? Try to set a game plan for myself

In my personal opinion, the best rotation sites have SOLID hospitals with residents, research, and lots of specialties. That way you get the "classic med student experience". There are a few of those sites. For instance, Michigan is one of those. Kansas City has a few high quality hospitals, but they also have some lower quality spots and unless your'e in an honors track, you're not guaranteed a good site for any specific rotation.

If you're interested in super hands on and only working with a doctor and no residents, there is Wichita.

Then there are the sites people choose because they want to go to a cool city, like Denver.

You'll get presentations on all of the sites, so don't worry about it and you wont have to decide until December.

In my personal opinion, the best rotation sites have SOLID hospitals with residents, research, and lots of specialties. That way you get the "classic med student experience". There are a few of those sites. For instance, Michigan is one of those. Kansas City has a few high quality hospitals, but they also have some lower quality spots and unless your'e in an honors track, you're not guaranteed a good site for any specific rotation.

If you're interested in super hands on and only working with a doctor and no residents, there is Wichita.

Then there are the sites people choose because they want to go to a cool city, like Denver.

You'll get presentations on all of the sites, so don't worry about it and you wont have to decide until December.
Lol sorry for taking over your thread!

I'm considering an honors track but I'm not sure how it would reflect on my eventual residency apps if I decide that I want to pursue another specialty in the end.

Lol sorry for taking over your thread!

I'm considering an honors track but I'm not sure how it would reflect on my eventual residency apps if I decide that I want to pursue another specialty in the end.
Literally no one in the hospital will know you're in an "honors track". Being in an honors track guarantees you stay in Kansas City for rotations, some of your selectives are pre determined, and you'll have case reports/meetings once a month ish. Your preceptors, or anyone else working in the hospital with you will not know you are in the track, it's really just a KCU specific thing.

Literally no one in the hospital will know you're in an "honors track". Being in an honors track guarantees you stay in Kansas City for rotations, some of your selectives are pre determined, and you'll have case reports/meetings once a month ish. Your preceptors, or anyone else working in the hospital with you will not know you are in the track, it's really just a KCU specific thing.

Do you gain much from the honors track in terms of improving your residency apps?

Do you gain much from the honors track in terms of improving your residency apps?
Honestly? No clue. I'm assuming it won't hurt it but how much it helps is unknown. You'd have to ask current 4th years or previous graduates who were in it for their perspective.

Do an honors track if you are interested in a specialty and want some extra experience. No one really cares about honors tracks.

I meant more along the lines of whether or not you were exposed to more opportunities like research to improve your residency app.

I meant more along the lines of whether or not you were exposed to more opportunities like research to improve your residency app.

It depends on the track.You will get more experience, yes. For example, surgery track you get to meet with Berbel and go over suturing, laparoscopic stuff, basic stuff.

Last edited:

I don’t think the opportunity is different with respect to research in the Internal Medicine track either. You have extra cases you’ll go over with your fellow track people & do some extra stuff on campus.

I would think (just speculating haven’t actually started rotating yet) that having extra rotations in your area of interest (surgery, ob/gyn, IM, etc.) would allow you to network more though & potentially get involved in some if you’re interested in research?

Last edited:
I don’t think the opportunity is different with respect to research in the Internal Medicine track either. You have extra cases you’ll go over with your fellow track people & do some extra stuff on campus.

I would think (just speculating haven’t actually started rotating yet) that having extra rotations in your area of interest (surgery, ob/gyn, IM, etc.) would allow you to network more though & potentially get involved in some if you’re interested in research though?

Possibly, but most docs don’t do research is the problem since you rotate with community docs.

Anyone have a good grasp on exactly what resources we need for comats/level 2/step 2? I keep seeing stuff about buying uworld, COMBANK, amboss etc and I’m not sure where to start

Anyone have a good grasp on exactly what resources we need for comats/level 2/step 2? I keep seeing stuff about buying uworld, COMBANK, amboss etc and I’m not sure where to start

I used COMQUEST throughout for shelf exams. They worked well because the shelfs are NBOME administered so similar styling. Pretty affordable and can split it with someone else b/c you can restet the shelf question bank once per subject. It was clutch having an OMM shelf question bank as well for the OMM shelf you have to take.

For boards, I did UW 1.5 times starting near the end of 3rd year, Savarese, and First aid Step 1 for review of bioethics and bio stats.

Amboss is fairly new on the market. Really cool interface with lots of great information. Better interface than UW and cheaper but I just didn't want to run to something new. The questions are meh the remind me of Kaplan questions either simple or absurdly difficult.

Never touched COMBANK as it was hella expensive.

As @SynapticDoctah said, the honors track doesn't expose you to more research opps.

The school really does not do a good job of connecting students with research. the basic science research they provide only fits for a select group of people (neurology, anesthesiology, hematology focus). And TBH, only 1-2 of those investigators have ever won an NIH grant and currently, only 1 is funded with an R15 so the weight they carry across academic medicine is miniscule.

If you are wanting to do research, find faculty at KU Med or UMKC/St Luke's online, email them and ask to help with whatever projects they are working on.

If you rotate with residents on a service for your core rotation you can also ask them as well.

Is sketchy sufficient for the pharm in 2nd year? A small part of me is dying inside imagining a year of learning about drugs the way antimicrobials went for me

Is sketchy sufficient for the pharm in 2nd year? A small part of me is dying inside imagining a year of learning about drugs the way antimicrobials went for me
yeah if you do sketchy pharm and either the zanki pharm or pepper pharm deck you'll never miss a pharm question 2nd year.

Oms 1 incoming at Joplin. Did you guys use any resources first 4 weeks when you do foundations of medicine except zanki?

Also how does one start to do research around Joplin? I know some older class men are doing research at Joplin.

Oms 1 incoming at Joplin. Did you guys use any resources first 4 weeks when you do foundations of medicine except zanki?

Also how does one start to do research around Joplin? I know some older class men are doing research at Joplin.
Talk to Dr. Staudinger, he knows who to connect you with.

I pretty much just used lecture slides, First Aid, and maybe some YouTube for HDM/MCM (I believe these courses last year were the equivalent of your foundations of medicine course this year).

I never used zanki for those so I can't tell you if they work or not, but MCM/Immuno are about as spoon-fed as the material gets at KCU (in my opinion). All of the material, as far as I can recall, is basically highlighted whenever it's particularly relevant to a test. Just study those powerpoints and you're golden.

For MCM, Zaidi's slides are golden-- you don't need anything else, she puts in red basically everything you need to know, and tells you which clinical boxes to look at in your textbook.

For immuno, I did use Zanki alongside the slides, and that was more than enough.