KCU Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have any luck with the financial aid dept to reimburse us for signing up for step 1?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any luck with the financial aid dept to reimburse us for signing up for step 1?
I don’t think we get reimbursed...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does the next disbursement cover COMLEX? I know it doesn't cover USMLE so I'm saving my xmas money for that and Uworld.

How hard’s GI compared to Msk? Seems we have mostly anatomy on the midterm

How hard’s GI compared to Msk? Seems we have mostly anatomy on the midterm
One of the hardest practicals, upstairs exam wasn't easy either. For me, anything was better than MSKso YMMV.

How is second semester of first year overall? I looked at the schedule for the next five months and it looks much worse lol

People said after anatomy everything is easier but this next semester looks like a walk thru hell.

I joke but ya I do think it’s comparatively easier/more manageable. Or maybe you just get better at school over time; not sure.

Neuro is the beast of second semester I think. Or at least it was for us. Might be different for you guys since last year was so hectic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I joke but ya I do think it’s comparatively easier/more manageable. Or maybe you just get better at school over time, not sure.

Neuro is the beast of second semester I think. Or at least it was for us. Might be different for you guys since last year was so hectic.

Is there a reason why neuroscience was a beast? Some people said Keim's GI is really hard so I am scared for these two classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a reason why neuroscience was a beast? Some people said Keim's GI is really hard so I am scared for these two classes.

Keim makes ya work for it yep haha. She’s a tough cookie. Know your embryo! It’ll pay off in lecture and in lab. She likes testing embryo in anatomy lab.

GI & neuro are just dense in general, but if you put in the time you have nothin’ to worry about.

Last edited:
When I looked at the lectures for the midterm and saw that Keim has over 50% of them, I almost cried.

When I looked at the lectures for the midterm and saw that Keim has over 50% of them, I almost cried.

I had the same reaction. I wish she would just post her lecture notes instead of trying to decide for us how we learn best.

I had the same reaction. I wish she would just post her lecture notes instead of trying to decide for us how we learn best.
I'll likely watch whoever is lecturing in Joplin and then just skim through her lectures a couple of days before the test (if she decides to grace us with posting them). I'm more worried about the amount of questions that she'll get on the exam where she'll try to 3rd order the hell out of them just because she can.

I'll likely watch whoever is lecturing in Joplin and then just skim through her lectures a couple of days before the test (if she decides to grace us with posting them). I'm more worried about the amount of questions that she'll get on the exam where she'll try to 3rd order the hell out of them just because she can.
I think most of the material is still from Kiem's lectures. She is the only one teaching Embryo for this test

I think most of the material is still from Kiem's lectures. She is the only one teaching Embryo for this test
Yeah, but she's also teaching a lot of the anatomy :( there are only 4 lectures that aren't being given by her

FWIW, Brauer typically does a pretty good job of putting what we need to know on his slides for anatomy. Watching his lectures can be kind of a drag because he mostly reads off of his slides, but it might be a good alternative to listening/watching Keim.

Reactions: 1 users
Any Anki users have deck recommendations for MOD? Not sure if anything from Zanki corresponds directly.

Any Anki users have deck recommendations for MOD? Not sure if anything from Zanki corresponds directly.
We had a different schedule. MOD was broken into 1 and 2. MOD 1 was the first 4 chapters of Robbins, and the exams were really easy. MOD 2 was chapters 5-10 for exam 1, and ALL of sketchy micro in exam 2.

For MOD 1: Pathoma covers chapters 2-4, but the info isn't in one Zanki subdeck. I recommend using the Duke Pathoma deck and reading Robbins.

For MOD 2 exam 1: I recommend pathoma and reading Robbin's because like earlier, the information is spread all throughout zanki. The 1st exam was much harder than MOD 1 exams, which in retrospect, were some of the easiest exams we had. For the microbiology section, screw the book they recommend and watch ALL of sketchy micro ASAP and Immediately begin either Zanki micro deck, or the pepper deck if you're running short on time. I cannot reiterate this enough: the MOD micro exam is 90% straight out of sketchy with all of the buzzwords. The people who struggled with this only watched sketchy maybe 1 or 2 times, and thought they were good. Unless you have an insane visual memory, doing the flashcards helps immensely to the point where you can fly through that exam.

Reactions: 1 users
Any tips on Neuro? The Zanki deck is way different than all our previous blocks.

Any tips on Neuro? The Zanki deck is way different than all our previous blocks.

Ya u guys don’t need to know everything in the Neuro Zanki + Misc Zanki decks. All the basic science is mixed in with the path. Clutch for year 2 tho!

I’ve heard the Kaplan Neuroscience + Basic Neuroanatomy decks are good if u have those but I haven’t done either of those so couldn’t tell ya for sure. Might be worth scrolling through the cards and seeing what kinda stuff is in there.

What deck are you referring to by this? The Microbio pharm deck? I don't think Zanki has a straight up micro deck. I have lolnotacop's micro deck.
The BG expansion pack can be found on the /r/medicalschoolanki subreddit contains all of the micriobio and pharm included in sketchy. I highly recommend it over the others.

The BG expansion pack can be found on the /r/medicalschoolanki subreddit contains all of the micriobio and pharm included in sketchy. I highly recommend it over the others.
I think that's what I currently have? Thanks for the recommendations :) Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 4.02.49 PM.png

Tips for Neuro?

Know your lesions backwards & forwards. This includes spinal tract, brainstem, cranial nerves, & the brain itself (including infarcts.) Honestly that pretty much covers it, because you have to understand the associated physiology/anatomy to understand the lesions.

Neuro is a class to go the extra mile for. Pain is temporary. Wake up early, study extra hard, minimize distractions, etc.

But also make sure you drink water & brush your teeth. Take your vitamins. Health stuff. I got sick at the end of neuro 'cause I went "too hard in the paint." We had a CPA & neuro final & grand rounds & maybe some other stuff idk; it was the most miserable week of year 1 'cause I was running a fever & couldn't breathe.

Know your lesions backwards & forwards. This includes spinal tract, brainstem, cranial nerves, & the brain itself (including infarcts.) Honestly that pretty much covers it, because you have to understand the associated physiology/anatomy to understand the lesions.

Neuro is a class to go the extra mile for. Pain is temporary. Wake up early, study extra hard, minimize distractions, etc.

But also make sure you drink water & brush your teeth. Take your vitamins. Health stuff. I got sick at the end of neuro 'cause I went "too hard in the paint." We had a CPA & neuro final & grand rounds & maybe some other stuff idk; it was the most miserable week of year 1 'cause I was running a fever & couldn't breathe.
I can't imagine anything more miserable than last week, but every time I say that, a new level of misery seems to unearth itself lol. Thanks!

I can't imagine anything more miserable than last week, but every time I say that, a new level of misery seems to unearth itself lol. Thanks!

This is the most relatable thing I have ever read hahaha.

Good luck

For those of you who use BnB, Sketchy micro, etc., do you just passively watch the videos or should we be doing something while we watch?

I haven't been entirely pleased with our neuro lectures so far and am thinking of watching the BnB videos, just not sure exactly how to go about this-- same for Sketchy for MOD.

For those of you who use BnB, Sketchy micro, etc., do you just passively watch the videos or should we be doing something while we watch?

I haven't been entirely pleased with our neuro lectures so far and am thinking of watching the BnB videos, just not sure exactly how to go about this-- same for Sketchy for MOD.

I take notes while I watch, just so it's not passive. They've also added quizzes for micro and pharm

Thinking ahead a little-- Is there anyone in here who had success in MOD without reading Robbins? Reading from a textbook realllllly doesn't vibe with my study style. I've seen some mention Pathoma/Sketchy/Zanki/Practice problems, but I didn't know if that was more a second year thing

Thinking ahead a little-- Is there anyone in here who had success in MOD without reading Robbins? Reading from a textbook realllllly doesn't vibe with my study style. I've seen some mention Pathoma/Sketchy/Zanki/Practice problems, but I didn't know if that was more a second year thing
I didn't touch Robbins for the micro portion of MOD. For the basics of pathology, you might as well just read it. But use Pathoma to help you solidify concepts.

You won't need Robbins for the micro portion, but for the rest of MOD you will. It's a tough transition from having all the information given to you via power points, but you'll get used to it, and reading Robbins will pay off when it comes to Dobson and Putthoff exams.

You won't need Robbins for the micro portion, but for the rest of MOD you will. It's a tough transition from having all the information given to you via power points, but you'll get used to it, and reading Robbins will pay off when it comes to Dobson and Putthoff exams.
looking forward to this cause I love learning from textbooks

looking forward to this cause I think I love learning from textbooks
Fixed it for you. Robbins will likely ruin that for you. If it was a well organized textbook, maybe you'd love it.

I used Zanki for MOD I and II. I thought it was very helpful and I did really well in those courses, but I also made a decent amount of my own cards while "reading" Robbins.
I stopped fully reading Robbins after the first exam. Instead I used Gaspers outlines while adding some additional info (mostly tables and pictures) from the PDF version of Robbins into the outline; this is still my method in M2 + doing Zanki.
I always make my own cards based off the LOs if I can't find a particular concept in Zanki (I usually make ~200-300 cards for each path exam).

For the Micro portion (which is the 2nd exam of MOD II) I used lolnotacops deck + made some of my own cards from that clinical micro book and that exam was my 2nd highest score of M1 (1st was the immuno final lol).

For those of you who read Robbins, do you read the actual version, the 'pocket companion' version, or something else? There's like 3 different Robbins books and I know a lot of people mentioned baby Robbins, I'm just not sure which one that is lol

For those of you who read Robbins, do you read the actual version, the 'pocket companion' version, or something else? There's like 3 different Robbins books and I know a lot of people mentioned baby Robbins, I'm just not sure which one that is lol
Big Robbins is "Pathologic Basis of Disease" book
Little Robbins is the "Basic Pathology" book
Baby Robbins is the outline version of Big Robbins.

I read out of Big Robbins because the others don't have all the information you will be tested on. I did find later in the year that Sketchy+Pathoma + genetic markers and Syndromes in Robbins was usually good enough.

Do you guys passively watch Pathoma, or take notes? I'm planning on doing the Duke Pathoma cards, so not sure if I should just passively watch it and try to absorb as much as I can, or take notes. I'm using Gasper's outlines, so if taking notes is redundant, I don't want to waste my time.

Edit: never mind, I just realized there's a Pathoma textbook so taking notes would probably be pointless..

Do you guys passively watch Pathoma, or take notes? I'm planning on doing the Duke Pathoma cards, so not sure if I should just passively watch it and try to absorb as much as I can, or take notes. I'm using Gasper's outlines, so if taking notes is redundant, I don't want to waste my time.

Edit: never mind, I just realized there's a Pathoma textbook so taking notes would probably be pointless..
You should actively watch! It’s all high yeild. What I do to make myself more active is I have First Aid open when I watch boards and beyond and pathoma and take little notes in my first aid while watching. The outlines are funna have everything you need for the exam but def internalize the concepts in those first chapters of pathoma. Super high yeild.

You should actively watch! It’s all high yeild. What I do to make myself more active is I have First Aid open when I watch boards and beyond and pathoma and take little notes in my first aid while watching. The outlines are funna have everything you need for the exam but def internalize the concepts in those first chapters of pathoma. Super high yeild.
Thanks for sharing! I'm thinking I'll do something similar and annotate into the Pathoma textbook when it comes, at least for MOD (I'm not sure which First Aid chapters correlate).