KCU Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So you can literally have any doctor who's willing to be a "preceptor" for a month?

Yes. Literally any doctor with an MD/DO. Take advantage of that if you can. I had to cold call dozens and dozens of people in order to find someone so I can stay near home. Other people found easier ways.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Soooo...how many core sites did you all rank? I'm submitting appeals for my #1 and don't know how many more I need.

Soooo...how many core sites did you all rank? I'm submitting appeals for my #1 and don't know how many more I need.
We had to rank 15 of them, and had options to rank all of them. Don't you submit appeals if you don't get a site you want? Did they change that this year? I'd just write a DME letter if you have a compelling reason to go to your #1

Members don't see this ad :)
We had to rank 15 of them, and had options to rank all of them. Don't you submit appeals if you don't get a site you want? Did they change that this year? I'd just write a DME letter if you have a compelling reason to go to your #1
Ah okay, I didn't know we had to rank all of them. Same thing, we can submit DMEs and another letter for personal reasons, they're calling them appeals this year I guess.

Can anyone on here comment on the quality (or lack thereof) of KC rotation sites? I reached out to a few people on the list given to us and only one person responded without much info. I don't really want to move but I'm afraid it's going to me standing over the shoulder of 7 other students as I try to watch procedures from the distance.

Can anyone on here comment on the quality (or lack thereof) of KC rotation sites? I reached out to a few people on the list given to us and only one person responded without much info. I don't really want to move but I'm afraid it's going to me standing over the shoulder of 7 other students as I try to watch procedures from the distance.
Mix bag but you'll be fine here. I know plenty of friends getting first assists, closing, etc on procedures. My friend got to amputate a big toe. My buddy was scrubbing in for lipoma removal in a rural FM rotations.

I reached out to several people and got mixed responses, from some saying don't pick KC unless you have a personal reason to stay here and others having awesome experiences. Most people seem to fall in the middle-- it'll be what you make of it is what I've gotten from most. Also, most people said not to sweat it because you can make up for anything you didn't get experience in (working with residents or presenting, for example) with your electives and in 4th year.

I rotated in KC. As stated above it's a mixed bag. You will get preceptor based rotations mostly that will vary greatly in quality and learning. You will have the chance to choose to work in a more academic setting in some specialties, but expect mainly preceptor based rotations and having to commute 20-55 minutes for each rotation and sometimes, multiple times a day to different hospitals, depending on where you live. Expect to have to find your own OB Gyn preceptor, and also expect to do some sort of rural rotation were you might live there for a month.

Wanted to also note: Whether you do procedures or not really isn't something you should be using to grade the quality of rotations, because I can guarantee the 1-2 students rotating at podunk city in KS/MO are doing a TON of procedures and first assisting during their surgery because there are no residents or students there. You'll get to do all these cool procedures you'll brag about to family and then realize that you will NOT be offered to do any of this stuff when you rotate at a university hospital during 4th year. All the stuff you needed to learn (pumping out progress notes for 5-6 patients on the wards before 6-9am, presenting them PROPERLY and in the correctly format) was addressed in the most discombobulated way if at all because you were with Dr. Podunk who was too far removed from academics and too busy to worry about that stuff, and all essentially complains about the takeover of EMR and how we need to get back to "real medicine".

I think being first assist in surgery is helpful if you want to do surgery. But again, when you are a 4th year, your chances of doing this during auditions is NILL because that's the "gift" a surgical intern is given if they don't have anything else to do and is essentially what's required in a PGY-2. A medical student is not running the camera as a 4th year so anything you did as a third year is for you to pride yourself in. So if you are just chompin at the bit to be first assist as a third year I honestly would not expect to get that with certainty at the KC rotation, try popular bluffs MO instead if you absolutely need this experience.

Reactions: 3 users
I rotated in KC. As stated above it's a mixed bag. You will get preceptor based rotations mostly that will vary greatly in quality and learning. You will have the chance to choose to work in a more academic setting in some specialties, but expect mainly preceptor based rotations and having to commute 20-55 minutes for each rotation and sometimes, multiple times a day to different hospitals, depending on where you live. Expect to have to find your own OB Gyn preceptor, and also expect to do some sort of rural rotation were you might live there for a month.

That sounds terrible... Particularly having to do a rural rotation where you live there for a month. Is that really true? How can this school just expect you to up and move away from your spouse, kids, etc. for a month?

That sounds terrible... Particularly having to do a rural rotation where you live there for a month. Is that really true? How can this school just expect you to up and move away from your spouse, kids, etc. for a month?
Things are a little different for the more recent classes. We have like 150+ more KC site then AlteredState's class had. My class (3rd year now) I've only heard of a few students having to go somewhere rural like that. Majority of us do not have to go further than 45mins. If its more than an hour from school the school will provide you with a place to stay. Obviously sucks if you have a family but its actually easy to get out of. My friends had a rural rotation and was supplied housing but they said no pets, and he has a dog so he said he can't leave his dog so they just gave him a new rotation in town.

Reactions: 1 users
Things are a little different for the more recent classes. We have like 150+ more KC site then AlteredState's class had. My class (3rd year now) I've only heard of a few students having to go somewhere rural like that. Majority of us do not have to go further than 45mins. If its more than an hour from school the school will provide you with a place to stay. Obviously sucks if you have a family but its actually easy to get out of. My friends had a rural rotation and was supplied housing but they said no pets, and he has a dog so he said he can't leave his dog so they just gave him a new rotation in town.

Wait so, there are 300 students in KC now?

I was gifted a rotation that was considered "in the region" as supposed to rural. From downtown, it was 55 minutes away so I was not given housing but offered a "call room" which was actually a patient room that I could essentially be kicked out of if the hospital got full.

Also, students must now find their own ob/gyn preceptors in KC which is ridiculous. Or they have the option of finding or choosing an FM doc that focuses on OB.

I was gifted a rotation that was considered "in the region" as supposed to rural. From downtown, it was 55 minutes away so I was not given housing but offered a "call room" which was actually a patient room that I could essentially be kicked out of if the hospital got full.

Also, students must now find their own ob/gyn preceptors in KC which is ridiculous. Or they have the option of finding or choosing an FM doc that focuses on OB.

I think there were like 160ish spots available in KC?

Do you know if finding your own OB preceptor is still happening today? Not sure they ever mentioned us having to find a preceptor in any location, unless I slept through that part of the presentation.

I think there were like 160ish spots available in KC?

Do you know if finding your own OB preceptor is still happening today? Not sure they ever mentioned us having to find a preceptor in any location, unless I slept through that part of the presentation.
Okay for us it was like 110 spots.

Are you on clinical rotations right now? This discussion was apart of the second year class coming up into third year I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never heard about this. We've had multiple presentations from clin ed about the different sites and this has never been mentioned, nor have I heard it from current third years...so not sure about it.

I have never heard about this. We've had multiple presentations from clin ed about the different sites and this has never been mentioned, nor have I heard it from current third years...so not sure about it.

You wouldn't hear it from third years as its apparently something new. But I may be wrong. I've heard this from 2-3 people about the enter clerkships next year.

Are you staying in KC?

Okay for us it was like 110 spots.

Are you on clinical rotations right now? This discussion was apart of the second year class coming up into third year I believe.

I'm a 2nd year so I haven't started clinicals yet. Just going off of the presentation we've had and no one has mentioned rural training sites, finding preceptors, etc.

You wouldn't hear it from third years as its apparently something new. But I may be wrong. I've heard this from 2-3 people about the enter clerkships next year.

Are you staying in KC?
Don't know yet, but hoping to.

Thats not exactly true. My class (3rd year) were told there was a shortage of OB preceptors and that if we knew someone we could rotate outside our site for OB. But that was just an option. Everyone, including myself was given an OB preceptor if we didn't know an outside one.

Thats not exactly true. My class (3rd year) were told there was a shortage of OB preceptors and that if we knew someone we could rotate outside our site for OB. But that was just an option. Everyone, including myself was given an OB preceptor if we didn't know an outside one.

Okay so your class had a shortage. And I am assuming the year below now has to find their own from the get go and if they don't, they will be assigned either an Ob/gyn potential at a rural location, or an FM doc in KC who only does the OB aspect right?

Okay so your class had a shortage. And I am assuming the year below now has to find their own from the get go and if they don't, they will be assigned either an Ob/gyn potential at a rural location, or an FM doc in KC who only does the OB aspect right?
Not to my knowledge. None of my second year friends have mentioned that. The school just got some new OB preceptors. I have a new Ob doc at research for instance, not rural. The clas below still has the option to find their preceptor at an outside site if they wish tho.

Not to my knowledge. None of my second year friends have mentioned that. The school just got some new OB preceptors. I have a new Ob doc at research for instance, not rural. The clas below still has the option to find their preceptor at an outside site if they wish tho.

That's good to hear. Is your OB doc Ob/gyn or FM?

That's good to hear. Is your OB doc Ob/gyn or FM?
She's OB. Fresh grad from residency I think. But newly associated with KCU as far as I can tell. Not sure if the OB issue is totally remedied. I do have a friend who's preceptor was FM but did OB fellowship. he still says his experience was awesome.

Hey all, KCU first year here, I was wondering if any of you are part of the DO/MBA program and would be willing to PM me for some questions I have about the program? Thanks!

Any of you 3rd or 4th years remember when you got loans disbursed? Is it still end of July/early August? Trying to budget for the next few months after spending $2,000+ on boards..

Any of you 3rd or 4th years remember when you got loans disbursed? Is it still end of July/early August? Trying to budget for the next few months after spending $2,000+ on boards..
3rd year came early, like mid-late July. I remember getting them while I was still on vacation.

Some questions regarding time off in 3rd year--
1) Do we get time any time off between rotations? I'm talking like a weekend between each or something.
2) Kind of goes along with the 1st, but are you able to request time off? Like if you have a wedding on a Saturday and know that you'll have to travel the Friday beforehand.
3) Do we get a Christmas/spring break?
4) Kind of unrelated but how do shelf exams work? Do you take one for each specialty or just your core rotations? Do you have to travel to take them or are they offered at the hospital typically?

Mostly just trying to give my family an idea of how much they'll be seeing me next year now that we have our rotation assignments. Thanks!

Anyone have any info on the Palm Beach rotation site? Good things, bad things? pros/cons? Trying to do all my research since it's the trade week.
I have friends there, you should post in the FB group and ask, they will be more than willing to tell you everything.
However you have to do an extra rotation, no breaks, and the hospitals are all within an hour of eachother. There will be rotations you drive an hour to the hospital, stay 13 hours, and then drive an hour back depending on where you live.

1) Do we get time any time off between rotations? I'm talking like a weekend between each or something.
2) Kind of goes along with the 1st, but are you able to request time off? Like if you have a wedding on a Saturday and know that you'll have to travel the Friday beforehand.
4) Kind of unrelated but how do shelf exams work? Do you take one for each specialty or just your core rotations? Do you have to travel to take them or are they offered at the hospital typically?

Mostly just trying to give my family an idea of how much they'll be seeing me next year now that we have our rotation assignments. Thanks!
1) It depends on your rotation site. Freeman is month to month some months you get the weekend, others you go straight from one to the other.
2) You can request off. You get a few discretionary days that you can take throughout the year.
3) Christmas, sometimes depending on your preceptor and the site. Spring break, no.
4) Only your core rotations (OB, PEDS, FM, Surg, IM, Psych) and one OMM shelf. If you are local, they will be proctored at your campus. I'm not sure if you are at a rural site.

1) It depends on your rotation site. Freeman is month to month some months you get the weekend, others you go straight from one to the other.
2) You can request off. You get a few discretionary days that you can take throughout the year.
3) Christmas, sometimes depending on your preceptor and the site. Spring break, no.
4) Only your core rotations (OB, PEDS, FM, Surg, IM, Psych) and one OMM shelf. If you are local, they will be proctored at your campus. I'm not sure if you are at a rural site.
awesome, thank you for the information!

awesome, thank you for the information!
Yeah as above, totally depends on the site.
My site gets All major holidays off, 2 weeks off for christmas, and all weekends off on every rotation except for OBGYN.

Thanks! I tried to PM you but it wouldn't let me. Which FB page would that be? I have heard about the commute. I don't think that will be an issue for me because I have family that lives near the hospital that's an hour away so I'll just stay with them for that rotation. Besides the long commute, do you know if they said it was an overall good or bad experience?

When you say no breaks, do you mean like they don't give us holidays? or like the rotations are back to back? (even on weekends? sorry this might be a dumb question but I don't know anything about 3rd year lol).

Also any idea why they have an extra rotation?

Thanks for the help!
That site has an extra rotation crammed in, so you do not get holidays off. My friends took discretionary days for Christmas. Rotations I believe are back to back, and that site has you work weekends. Post it in class of 2021 student group page.

Just to add a little extra information on time off, most of the time if you ask your preceptor & it is a reasonable request they will let you have it off without any school involvement as long as you're working hard & being respectful to everyone on rotation.

Most preceptors are nice & recognize that this is your last year (or two) to take time off before you aren't allowed to anymore (residency) so they'll let you do things like weddings.

how many elective weeks/rotations do we get in 3rd year?

Is there any way to find out when our rotations start next year (specifically Freeman)? I want to try to plan a small vacation with the family after boards so I want to know how much time I can have .

Is there any way to find out when our rotations start next year (specifically Freeman)? I want to try to plan a small vacation with the family after boards so I want to know how much time I can have .
Email current 3rd years at your site and ask. Shouldn’t change much.

The last week of July for orientation

Which site?
Orlando Rotation. Probably its only downside. It's a really good rotation though. Most of the rotations are ward/resident based with a lot of teaching. You really get to see and a be a part of the team. You do get some preceptor-based clerkships and those are great as well. Adventhealth, which is the hospital system we rotate at, is ranked #1 in Florida and has a ton of opportunities. Feel free to message if anyone is wanting to know more about the site.

Orlando Rotation. Probably its only downside. It's a really good rotation though. Most of the rotations are ward/resident based with a lot of teaching. You really get to see and a be a part of the team. You do get some preceptor-based clerkships and those are great as well. Adventhealth, which is the hospital system we rotate at, is ranked #1 in Florida and has a ton of opportunities. Feel free to message if anyone is wanting to know more about the site.

Be sure to ask AdventHealth what happened to their IG famous FM resident also known as the "Rave Doc" when you rotate there.

Be sure to ask AdventHealth what happened to their IG famous FM resident also known as the "Rave Doc" when you rotate there.
what happened to him? pretty sure he's still there

He's been removed from the resident roster last I checked.
Yeah you're probably right. I knew someone that worked with him but it was probably before whatever happened

haha I know him actually. Don't wanna say anything else about him though cause people be lurkin' n schemin'

Anyone have any recommended electives for KC M3? They want us to rank them, but there's no mention of where they would be so I don't know which ones are inpatient/outpatient or if the same field could go both ways depending on which spot you get (ie, cardio could be either outpatient or inpatient depending on your luck).