KCU Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you test positive for the antibody you don't need to get the whole series right?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you need a 3rd let alone a 2nd HepB titer? If your firsr HepB titer was positive, and it was quantitative, that should be sufficient for the Immunization requirements. Do you mean doses? The whole HepB series has 3 doses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there another accepted students day because march 17th is the Saint paddys parade in Chicago

Who's all going to accepted students day next month? Great excuse to see the school again and celebrate st pattys day as a soon to be class!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know what the itinerary for the accepted students day is? I can't seem to find the original email on this.

Does anyone know what the itinerary for the accepted students day is? I can't seem to find the original email on this.

8-3 I believe. Lots of time for us to meet each other and talk to faculty as well as the financial aid presentation.

I'm starting to feel old. I can't believe you guys will be graduating 4 years after I will.

I remember being in your position like it was just yesterday.

It goes by quickly guys... enjoy it.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm starting to feel old. I can't believe you guys will be graduating 4 years after I will.

I remember being in your position like it was just yesterday.

It goes by quickly guys... enjoy it.

Is accepted students day fun, awkward, both, neither? Do people typically dress nice? Most people bring family?

My family can't go but I want KC BBQ and I like flying so it's whateva!

Last edited:
Is accepted students day fun, awkward, both, neither? Do people typically dress nice? Most people bring family?

My family can't go but I want KC BBQ and I like flying so it's whateva!

I'm not sure how much things have changed in the last 2-3 years but ours was quite fun. It's pretty much a 2nd look at the campus and facilities with your family. On interview day most of the students are usually anxious about the interview at the end of the day. The 2nd look allows students to check everything out without being so anxious.

In the morning there was a breakfast and then a small tour. You get free goodies and stuff. I mostly used that day to look round at apartments with my roommate.

They had a realtor who worked with KCU students to make a schedule for you to check out apartments. I'm not sure if she still is there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes that sounds right in terms of the global track.

Grocery stores: Consantinos kind of an uppity grocery store 5-10 min away in downtown. There are about 2-3 Asian markets at river market as well that's about 5 minutes away from CT.

What Asian stores are they? I cant live without Asian food and am struggling with the idea that I might not be able to have any over there.

I'm not sure how much things have changed in the last 2-3 years but ours was quite fun. It's pretty much a 2nd look at the campus and facilities with your family. On interview day most of the students are usually anxious about the interview at the end of the day. The 2nd look allows students to check everything out without being so anxious.

In the morning there was a breakfast and then a small tour. You get free goodies and stuff. I mostly used that day to look round at apartments with my roommate.

They had a realtor who worked with KCU students to make a schedule for you to check out apartments. I'm not sure if she still is there.

Ok cool; sounds like a chill day

Good stir fry sauce? I'm addicted to it at the moment!

Also, would you be able to give us the tentative schedule for accepted students day?

Ah that I'm not too sure of but they are pretty legit Asian markets so I'm sure they have some!

Lemme see if I can get that info from our school and I'll send it your way :)

Reactions: 1 user
I could only come for half the day the first accepted students day. Does anyone know when the second one is?

May be getting a bit ahead of myself here, but how much time off do you get during 3rd and 4th year rotations at KCU?

Is there any sort of summer break or are you rotating for like 24 months straight

May be getting a bit ahead of myself here, but how much time off do you get during 3rd and 4th year rotations at KCU?

Is there any sort of summer break or are you rotating for like 24 months straight

No time off. You get about a month "off" to study for Step/Level 2 and then you start 4th year.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

No time off. You get about a month "off" to study for Step/Level 2 and then you start 4th year.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Can you tell me a little more about Step/Level 2 since you mentioned it. Is it as important as Step 1 for residency applications? Does everyone take it? What does it entail?

Can you tell me a little more about Step/Level 2 since you mentioned it. Is it as important as Step 1 for residency applications? Does everyone take it? What does it entail?

Step 2 is a two part exam. PE is physical exam (8 hrs, 12 standardized patient), pass/fail.

Clinical Knowledge is a culmination of what you learn third year and is a written exam like step 1. It is also in the range of 6-8 hrs I believe.

Certain residencies have increased focus on step 2 such as EM. Step 2 can act as a second chance of sorts if you don't do that great on step 1.

You must take COMLEX level 2 (PE and CK) to graduate from a DO school. USMLE step 2 CS and CK are optional. Many DO students take the written portion (CK) as some ACGME programs prefer having that score as well.

Excited to be attending here in the fall! Is there just not a class thread for the Joplin Campus? I couldn't find one.

You get 4 weeks of "Flex time" after Sept of your 4th year and before May I think.

You tell the school how many weeks you want off and when. Minimum is 1 week and maximum is 2 consecutive weeks. You can take off 4 weeks in total.

This was just introduced this year.

2nd year here, if anyone is interested in purchasing my used medical kit (Welch Allen) send me a Private message. It's a required to have one.

You get 4 weeks of "Flex time" after Sept of your 4th year and before May I think.

You tell the school how many weeks you want off and when. Minimum is 1 week and maximum is 2 consecutive weeks. You can take off 4 weeks in total.

This was just introduced this year.

Sep 1 to March 1 is the timeframe for the weeks off. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Sep 1 to March 1 is the timeframe for the weeks off. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Is this just for residency interviews, or is it actual vacation time? How does time off for interviews work?

According to the paperwork they gave us, the flex time thing is a COM 2018 exclusive.

According to the paperwork they gave us, the flex time thing is a COM 2018 exclusive.

I think they seem to be aiming to have that for us too.

But I think the school is going to need to recognize that in this day and age most of us will likely need to interview at over 10 programs to have a very good chance of matching in a field that does not have a significant soap.

I think they seem to be aiming to have that for us too.

But I think the school is going to need to recognize that in this day and age most of us will likely need to interview at over 10 programs to have a very good chance of matching in a field that does not have a significant soap.

My husband went on 17 interviews for general surgery with a 240 Step 1. His program had a one month block students could schedule for vacation (most used it for taking Step 2 CK and CS), and then another month off for interviews (he did November). Their December block was a lecture based course that didn't require attendance (so they could catch up via echo when they were traveling), and he took a research elective in January in order to have time for all of them. He probably went a little overkill, but because the average US Senior who matched gen Surg. went on 12 (I think in 2015) he felt like he should go on as many as he could/wanted to. Four weeks wouldn't have been enough even for 12.

My husband went on 17 interviews for general surgery with a 240 Step 1. His program had a one month block students could schedule for vacation (most used it for taking Step 2 CK and CS), and then another month off for interviews (he did November). Their December block was a lecture based course that didn't require attendance (so they could catch up via echo when they were traveling), and he took a research elective in January in order to have time for all of them. He probably went a little overkill, but because the average US Senior who matched gen Surg. went on 12 (I think in 2015) he felt like he should go on as many as he could/wanted to. Four weeks wouldn't have been enough even for 12.

Ya, I think one month for interviewing should be a minimal.

]Been reading some rather meh reviews on the briar cliff city apartments and it's making me rethink my choice to live there. Anyone have any thoughts on the place or any suggestions on other places to look at??

]Been reading some rather meh reviews on the briar cliff city apartments and it's making me rethink my choice to live there. Anyone have any thoughts on the place or any suggestions on other places to look at??

I highly suggest Cordillera Ranch up near Liberty. 15-20 mins drive to the school in the northland suburbs. I moved in last week and am really loving it. Quiet, picturesque community, large apartments, 24/7 gym, saltwater pool open 365 days a year, free parking and plenty of it, sand volleyball court, tennis/basketball court. Really quiet during the day and very conducive to studying. Just my 2 cents and have only been here a week but I have no complaints. Idk if the special is still going on but I got a free month and $500 off my second month. PM me if you want to know more specifics.

I highly suggest Cordillera Ranch up near Liberty. 15-20 mins drive to the school in the northland suburbs. I moved in last week and am really loving it. Quiet, picturesque community, large apartments, 24/7 gym, saltwater pool open 365 days a year, free parking and plenty of it, sand volleyball court, tennis/basketball court. Really quiet during the day and very conducive to studying. Just my 2 cents and have only been here a week but I have no complaints. Idk if the special is still going on but I got a free month and $500 off my second month. PM me if you want to know more specifics.

Pet friendly by chance? Have a 75 pound golden I'm bringing with me.

57 days until orientation! Anyone else have mixed feelings between wanting it to be here already and wanting more free time before hand?