KCU Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So we recently got a copy of the KC dissection guide for the thoracic cavity. It's beautiful. No wonder we did so poorly on anatomy.
Also doesn't hurt that we have anatomy fellows

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty sure I had to answer a statement with a statement on the written portion today. Anyone else feel frustrated with the lack of proofreading on these exams?

Reactions: 3 users
Pretty sure I had to answer a statement with a statement on the written portion today. Anyone else feel frustrated with the lack of proofreading on these exams?
Yep.
I got to that question like "Did I read this wrong? Does it make sense with a question mark instead of a period?. Nope. Still confused as hell" lol

Members don't see this ad :)

I feel frustrated with that email about how we’re doing physiology lectures the next week or so...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Reading the previous class KCU threads has made me worried. Are you guys still alive?

We are alive, but really enjoying not schooling right now. Only one week of freedom left :'(

I've been slightly anxious about not having anything to do. I will wake up and think "Oh **** I didn't study" but then I realize there is no studying to be done. While I'm enjoying the break, I am looking forward to being back at school with my friends.

I like the learning, but GI is going to be a crappy course.

The animosity between the two campuses is getting ridiculous. We should be working together to reach out to administration to bring about changes instead of attacking each other (which does nothing for us if I may add). Also, Big Brother is watching those threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
The animosity between the two campuses is getting ridiculous. We should be working together to reach out to administration to bring about changes instead of attacking each other (which does nothing for us if I may add). Also, Big Brother is watching those threads.

Ok...I'll bite, what animosity?

- Curious KCUCOM 2022 Student :whistle:

I found out about that comment from multiple screenshots from different people. I have no doubt in my mind administration has either already seen it, or will tomorrow when they wake up.

But ya this needs to stop - it's pathetic.

What comment specifically? Other than the two threads ****ting all over eachother nothing really stood out to me as bad.

What comment specifically? Other than the two threads ****ting all over eachother nothing really stood out to me as bad.

It wasn't the content of the comment it was just the fact that I got it sent to me so many times - I felt like it was perceived pretty poorly. It was a solid burn if I'm being honest.

I think it's a minority of students causing the animosity. When I was up in KC for the M1 conference, I got no sense of heard feelings between campuses. We like to make some jokes in Joplin about KC, but nothing outright hostile. I'm sure it's the same way in KC.

I think it's a minority of students causing the animosity. When I was up in KC for the M1 conference, I got no sense of heard feelings between campuses. We like to make some jokes in Joplin about KC, but nothing outright hostile. I'm sure it's the same way in KC.

For sure! We are all just trying to survive med school here...

Expect an email from the higher ups tomorrow about professionalism etc. I'd actually be surprised if they didn't mention anything about it.

Whenever someone yells "one cohort" across the lecture hall when something goes astray it literally makes my day.

But yes, I think it's probably only particular subset of people - both campuses. We <3 our Joplinian fam.

Last edited:
Ill preface everything I say with “I did well on this exam so this doesn’t matter to me”.

Joplin clearly had better teaching for this exam. We were told to use our campuses material first. I disregarded and did both. I literally did double the work. That’s nonsense.

I have no hard feelings for Joplin because I have never been to Joplin and I don’t know any of you. It’s almost like this fictitious place we were told not to worry about because we would have nothing to do with you. Now all of sudden I have to use your material to get an education. I know people who did so bad on this exam they’ll remediate the course pretty much regardless of how they do on the next exams. They only used KC materials.

The administration is doing things so terribly and for some reason we just blame each other. What happened to “the material will be the exact same from each campus” or “the materials for the class will be submitted 2 weeks before the course begins”? Is there absolutely no administrative over sight comparing the delivery of material between campuses? Maybe, or maybe not.

That’s my oppinion feel free to disagree or add to it.

Reactions: 2 users
Best thing that you can do to get change to happen is talk to your SGA. Make sure the Exec. President knows about the problems you guys are facing up there.

Best thing that you can do to get change to happen is talk to your SGA. Make sure the Exec. President knows about the problems you guys are facing up there.

Our professor has taught this course for 37 years and now he gets no say, no questions and doesn’t get to tag the practical. Yeah I think that is beyond the Exec President.

Edit: I mean no offense to your suggestion. I think this is very intentional.

I have no reason to ha
Ill preface everything I say with “I did well on this exam so this doesn’t matter to me”.

Joplin clearly had better teaching for this exam. We were told to use our campuses material first. I disregarded and did both. I literally did double the work. That’s nonsense.

I have no hard feelings for Joplin because I have never been to Joplin and I don’t know any of you. It’s almost like this fictitious place we were told not to worry about because we would have nothing to do with you. Now all of sudden I have to use your material to get an education. I know people who did so bad on this exam they’ll remediate the course pretty much regardless of how they do on the next exams. They only used KC materials.

The administration is doing things so terribly and for some reason we just blame each other. What happened to “the material will be the exact same from each campus” or “the materials for the class will be submitted 2 weeks before the course begins”? Is there absolutely no administrative over sight comparing the delivery of material between campuses? Maybe, or maybe not.

I agree. I also did both lectures w/ twice the work and scored "decently" but it does take up a lot of burden by having to go through two different (literally) resources. I was studying nearly the whole day and even had to sacrifice lab time (didn't do well on the practical though), just to make sure I'm understanding the testable information given. There definitely needs to be changes in the way the materials are presented and also the way they write exams (so many mistakes for a"board-style" exam, so they claim). For the next exam, I'll still be doing both lectures, but it's still a burden...

I agree as well w/ what you said on material. The only reason did well is because I kept hearing rumors about things that weren't covered in KC lectures, so I looked at the LO's Friday night (for one of the first times all year - I never do this and I never have to because our lectures are usually solid.) I think by the time I sat for the exam I had been up 30-35 hours. And it wasn't due to cramming - I'm not a crammer - it's because there was so much material that wasn't covered for us (on top of having to visit the dissection lab and stuff I guess too.)

I should note too that I don't think it's our professor's fault. There was likely some major issue in communication between him and administration or something as to what we will be held accountable for on the first exam (spitballing - idk.)

I know people might not be so gungho about this, but it might not be a bad idea to try and organize more events getting us (KC & Joplin) together. I haven't met a single Joplin student and I think that sucks because there are so many of you and we're all a part of the same class. And, as has been said, we shouldn't be attacking each other, we should be pooling our efforts to address the administration and get answers as to why things like this keep happening.

If any of you guys come down to Joplin, I will personally show you around. But what really needs to happen is the loud people get a free trip either direction. I've found once people are face to face with the people they speak against, it is really hard to maintain the bad feelings.

If any of you guys come down to Joplin, I will personally show you around. But what really needs to happen is the loud people get a free trip either direction. I've found once people are face to face with the people they speak against, it is really hard to maintain the bad feelings.

oh boy, i'm so excited for KC v Joplin dramalama in the class of 2022.

huhu. this thread is pretty ambiguous about what's going on but regardless i hope that KCU corrects this oversight for next year's class.

oh boy, i'm so excited for KC v Joplin dramalama in the class of 2022.

huhu. this thread is pretty ambiguous about what's going on but regardless i hope that KCU corrects this oversight for next year's class.

My guess is what is happening this year, will not happen next year. It seems to be growing pains and with every class the administration is learning. We're being ambiguous for a reason, but basically there's a lot of disdain being shown for Joplin from a very few KC students.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 9.39.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 9.39.12 AM.png
    330.8 KB · Views: 161
I think I love and hate the guy that does those Ear lectures.
He is very entertaining, but I feel like his PowerPoints are worthless without the lecture (intentional?). He's an ENT resident at Freeman.

He is very entertaining, but I feel like his PowerPoints are worthless without the lecture (intentional?). He's an ENT resident at Freeman.
Can confirm. I previewed the lecture w/o listening I was like "wtf mate this **** is dense"
Watched the lecture and now I feel like I know the pathways front and back. He's a really good lecturer. Need more professors like him.

Can confirm. I previewed the lecture w/o listening I was like "wtf mate this **** is dense"
Watched the lecture and now I feel like I know the pathways front and back. He's a really good lecturer. Need more professors like him.
Yea, from his first lecture on the inner ear he told us that he remembers being a medical student, so he doesn't throw in too many things we don't need to know (except a brief history lesson about the first otologist, who was a boss btw). I very much appreciate that and the fact that he gave us his phone number and "allows us to keep up the facade that we know everything." xD

Yea, from his first lecture on the inner ear he told us that he remembers being a medical student, so he doesn't throw in too many things we don't need to know (except a brief history lesson about the first otologist, who was a boss btw). I very much appreciate that and the fact that he gave us his phone number and "allows us to keep up the facade that we know everything." xD

What facade? ;)

I really enjoy him too actually. After his lectures I feel really knowledgable about whatever he lectured on. I liked how he demonstrated the tympanic cavity too. One of the questions for E1 I imagined myself standing in there like he did lol.

Anyone else see the accepted student on campus all bright eyes and full of hope and think “oh you just freaking wait”?

You mean just like the 2nd years look at our Pre-Robbins lives?

Exactly. I’ll be curious to see how mod compares to Neuro because the sheer amount of info on this second exam is insane

Oh yeah also, did you find a place for the summer? Just booked mine yesterday

Last edited:
Exactly. I’ll be curious to see how mod compares to Neuro because the sheer amount of info on this second exam is insane

Oh yeah also, did you find a place for the summer? Just booked mine yesterday

I have a few family friends in the area I'm going to try to stay with. Save some money :p

Thanks to all the fellows and tutors! Helped a lot and even though I'm not going to miss all the times in lab, I'll definitely keep all the knowledge you guys have taught us! @AlteredScale @SynapticDoctah (I think you are also a fellow lol)

Thanks to all the fellows and tutors! Helped a lot and even though I'm not going to miss all the times in lab, I'll definitely keep all the knowledge you guys have taught us! @AlteredScale @SynapticDoctah (I think you are also a fellow lol)

I've never felt happier walking out of anatomy lab than I did when that practical finished.

So, who else is loving Robbins?
Robbins? meh. Pathoma and questions to learn? Hell yes. I'm loving this type of studying. I've also gotten to the point where I need to watch the lectures at faster than 2x speed because they don't teach anything, just review. Idk I feel more free.

You guys are almost done with the school year, right?

So, how was it? Spill the deets