KCU-COM vs ACOM please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tony101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I was accepted to KCU-COM and ACOM and I have to make a decision. I really did love KCU-COM and it's preparation in boards and rotations, BUT I also really loved ACOM! Both campuses were amazing! However I have to make a decision soon and I don't have much time to do it. Any input or knowledge of either school to help me better understand this will greatly be appreciated especially since the merger heavily impacts the chance of residency! .Here is what I have so far
ACOM
Pros:
- Beautiful Campus
- Very nice area, enjoyed being there
- Very nice staff, seem to be very involved in working in teams and all were very nice
- Apartments are close to school
Cons:
- Very new school
- I've heard that they are scoring around average on the boards

KCU-COM
Pros:
- Very well established, over 100 years old
- Has shown statistically they score above national average on boards(by a decent amount)
- Great working staff, I loved the people there, they were all so nice ^.^
- Apartments are also close to school
Cons:
- Freezing area, so kind of sucks, I like running
- Area that is around school apparently is not so nice

So I am wondering this, can anyone from KCU-COM comment on the surrounding area of the school and tell me what it's like? I want to know this because I want to make sure I am comfortable in the area I may be living in for 4 years ^.^
I'm curious about this because I heard many many stories from the Med students and they made it sound like the area around it was terrible, is this true?

Also can anyone from ACOM tell me how they felt ACOM has better prepared them for the boards and residency positions?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I was accepted to KCU-COM and ACOM and I have to make a decision. I really did love KCU-COM and it's preparation in boards and rotations, BUT I also really loved ACOM! Both campuses were amazing! However I have to make a decision soon and I don't have much time to do it. Any input or knowledge of either school to help me better understand this will greatly be appreciated especially since the merger heavily impacts the chance of residency! .Here is what I have so far
ACOM
Pros:
- Beautiful Campus
- Very nice area, enjoyed being there
- Very nice staff, seem to be very involved in working in teams and all were very nice
- Apartments are close to school
Cons:
- Very new school
- I've heard that they are scoring around average on the boards

KCU-COM
Pros:
- Very well established, over 100 years old
- Has shown statistically they score above national average on boards(by a decent amount)
- Great working staff, I loved the people there, they were all so nice ^.^
- Apartments are also close to school
Cons:
- Freezing area, so kind of sucks, I like running
- Area that is around school apparently is not so nice

So I am wondering this, can anyone from KCU-COM comment on the surrounding area of the school and tell me what it's like? I want to know this because I want to make sure I am comfortable in the area I may be living in for 4 years ^.^
I'm curious about this because I heard many many stories from the Med students and they made it sound like the area around it was terrible, is this true?

Also can anyone from ACOM tell me how they felt ACOM has better prepared them for the boards and residency positions?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Honestly it's not close KCU hands down. I was accepted to both and was going to matriculate to ACOM unless KCU accepted me. Once they did I didn't have any thoughts about going to ACOM anymore. Sure the area around campus isn't great but you're not going to be hanging out in those neighborhoods anyway and the security at KCU appears to be top notch. Not docking ACOM as I really liked the school, but at the end of the day it is still only 4 1/2 years old.

Reactions: 1 users
KCU by a landslide. The first class at ACOM only had a 81% 4 year graduation rate, KCU has better rotations, KCU has a better pre-clinical curriculum, KCU doesn't have mandatory attendance, KCU has an extensive alumni network, KCU has a good reputation with the nearby MD residency programs, KCU consistently matches well.... should I go on?

ACOM is a decent school -especially for a brand new one- and will get better as time goes on, but as of right now this is a no contest.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
KCU all the way...

and @AlteredScale is gonna be sooooooo pissed when they see that this thread wasn't posted in the DO school specific sub-forum.

RIP in OP

;)

Reactions: 1 user
So for everyone who has posted, is the area actually not that bad? Were people there just a bit over exaggerating?

KCUMB.
Amazing school and people. I'm sure ACOM is a great school but KCUMB just has too much going for it-- I loved it there when I interviewed!

So for everyone who has posted, is the area actually not that bad? Were people there just a bit over exaggerating?
I think @AlteredScale will have the most knowledge concerning the area nearby but I felt very safe on campus-- unfortunately didn't spend too much time in KC proper.

No it really is pretty bad. Current students told me they don't even like the students crossing the street to go to 7eleven because it is actually that bad. That's why they built the store in campus that sells all of the little snacks and drinks you can get at a gas station. You will be spending 0 time their though as a student. Downtown KC is where you will he spending your free time, and their are lots of places to live that are in much safer, better neighborhoods.

Students go to 7-eleven to get alcohol but that's about it. The surrounding area has gotten better (there actually used to be a public street that crossed through the campus but we bought the street out). However, I will say it's still a rough neighborhood but you will be spending almost all your time on campus and campus security takes care of not only the campus but also the surrounding area so really it's not so bad.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Students go to 7-eleven to get alcohol but that's about it. The surrounding area has gotten better (there actually used to be a public street that crossed through the campus but we bought the street out). However, I will say it's still a rough neighborhood but you will be spending almost all your time on campus and campus security takes care of not only the campus but also the surrounding area so really it's not so bad.

May I ask, has there been any incidents with med students? And as in incidents, I mean lethal incidents towards med students going there?

Members don't see this ad :)
KCU intangibles

Negatives
-downtown KC sucks ...every girl there acts entitled and they inherently think you OWE them something. Maybe I am a dick and girls avoid me, but its not just me !
-BBQ gets old really fast.
-Airport is close
- There is no traffic and the city can seem like a ghost town
- if you do bad in school don't expect any remorse from the faculty unless you got a real excuse or a great BSer **

Positives
- Living in CT kicks ass, Its super safe I practically have my own security team walking me to class every day.
- apparently were "in the top 5%" ( im not sure what that means)
- weather is good most the time
- its not that dangerous jeez
- cheap AF
- OS is good and they dont make you do it that much

my advise to OP.... the freedom to make your own decision is the only freedom you really have...use that freedom
( if you know the movie thats from come to KCU )

any questions not about curriculum or other school stuff DM me

EDIT: IDK anything about ACOM, but it sounds like it sucks. Try the cold weather out ;)

May I ask, has there been any incidents with med students? And as in incidents, I mean lethal incidents towards med students going there?

There have not been any incidents to students since 2014 based on the security report. There have never been any lethal incidents to students. The police and security at the school is very very large (like a small brigade) 365 days a year, 24/7.

The area is fine. If you're not comfortable with the area near the school, simply don't live at CT. I'd say many people live "off campus" like 10-15 mins away in really nice areas and just drive to school. Once you're on campus, you're in a very safe bubble.

You might be wishing for non-mandatory lectures when it's time to study for boards.

Go where you feel comfortable and where you think you'll do well.

KCU. If you don't do well academically at established school, you wouldn't likely do well at any other school. If you don't do well academically at new school, you really won't know why. Is it the curriculum, faculty, board prep, new rotations, lack of support services, lack of alumni support, lack of school name recognition by residency program directors, administration, etc.? You should always have a REALLY good reason to choose a new school over an established school.

Acom is brand new and while a lot of SDN treats them like some rising star in the DO world, the only thing they're known for right now is below average boards, a complete lack of research, a dean who got a DUI, and an assistant dean facing sexual voyeurism charges. But hey, at least they have mandatory attendance, almost 100% preceptor based third year, and an alarmingly high attrition rate despite having pretty decent stats for a new school.

They both cost more or less the same. Go to the one that you know has it's **** together.

Acom is brand new and while a lot of SDN treats them like some rising star in the DO world, the only thing they're known for right now is below average boards, a complete lack of research, a dean who got a DUI, and an assistant dean facing sexual voyeurism charges. But hey, at least they have mandatory attendance, almost 100% preceptor based third year, and an alarmingly high attrition rate despite having pretty decent stats for a new school.

They both cost more or less the same. Go to the one that you know has it's **** together.

Yeah I don't get it either, they will probably have a ceiling as an average DO program. I know people like to put ACOM over CUSOM but at least they had a 95% 4 year graduation rate.

So it sounds like KCU isn't as dangerous as some people make it seem? Or there are lots of security there to protect and I can live a bit away to be safe.

So it sounds like KCU isn't as dangerous as some people make it seem? Or there are lots of security there to protect and I can live a bit away to be safe.

There have been no incidents to students since 2014. Security is essentially off duty police and they are on campus 24 hrs a day 7 days a week 365 days a year.

kcu by a landslide, great board scores, and match lists, and its in an actual city with a nice culture

Reactions: 1 users

I'm curious, do you know where the board score average for ACOM is posted? For Comlex 1,?
Curious because you said below average board scores? I was wondering where I could find that stat?

Last edited:
I'm curious, do you know where the board score average for ACOM is posted? For Comlex 1,?
Curious because you said below average board scores? I was wondering where I could find that stat?
I don't. I remember from talking to students there that it was "2% below the average" for the inaugural class. Which is pretty good for an inaugural class to be fair. Then it decreased to the high eighties the following year.

KCU-COM by a landslide.

ACOM does have a good clinical experience due to PCOM and several other DO schools setting up rotations in the area years ago.

But both schools have mostly preceptorship opportunities. Go with the school that has better experience pumping out medical students(KCU-COM)

Reactions: 3 users