KCU-Joplin v. BCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BellaWriterChic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I have recently been accepted to KCU-Joplin and BCOM. Both are great programs and I am having a hard time deciding between each.

KCU-Joplin Details
  • Located in the Midwest, which is close to family.
  • Curriculum is the same from KC campus, which has shown excellent board performance.
  • Would be the second class at this campus.
  • Small town feel, relatively safe from what I saw
BCOM Details
  • ILocated in Southwest.
  • Las Cruces seems really nice, relatively safe, close to El Paso.
  • Uses Virtual anatomy, and gross anatomy is a 4th year elective.
  • Would be third class, and no data on board performance is available yet since a class has not taken them yet.
There could be more, but I am interested in feedback from everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

KCU will do all their rotations in Joplin. Residency programs at Freeman Health= good rotations, research opps, networking.

BCOM is an unknown.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone!

I have recently been accepted to KCU-Joplin and BCOM. Both are great programs and I am having a hard time deciding between each.

KCU-Joplin Details
  • Located in the Midwest, which is close to family.
  • Curriculum is the same from KC campus, which has shown excellent board performance.
  • Would be the second class at this campus.
  • Small town feel, relatively safe from what I saw
BCOM Details
  • ILocated in Southwest.
  • Las Cruces seems really nice, relatively safe, close to El Paso.
  • Uses Virtual anatomy, and gross anatomy is a 4th year elective.
  • Would be third class, and no data on board performance is available yet since a class has not taken them yet.
There could be more, but I am interested in feedback from everyone.

I haven't heard such great things of BCOM. KCU has a great name in the DO world, despite not being the main campus. I'd easily go KCU.

Current first year here at KCU-KC. Obviously I'm biased, but I would choose KCU. When I applied to KCU, I was totally willing to go to either campus because I knew I'd get what I needed to get great board scores. Joplin's core rotation sites might even be better than the KC ones and Joplin basically has taken up all the ones available in the area. (Although KC is adding 100 more sites.)

Side note: I've thoroughly enjoyed being in gross anatomy's cadaver lab and would highly recommend a school that offers it. There's no experience quite like it and it is extremely helpful for learning anatomy in a 3D manner. I've also used the Anatomage table (virtual cadaver) and though it is cool, it is not necessarily easy to learn from. If you need more help, I'd recommend Essential Anatomy or Complete Anatomy apps. They are worth the price! Also, your class will have the advantage of 2nd year anatomy tutors (that the current class did not receive).

With the interesting financial aid stuff going on right now, I'd not want to risk taking out personal loans for BCOM (not sure if they can get federal loans now though).

Also, having family nearby helps with your support system. I moved from California and had to make my own support system out here.

Feel free to ask me more questions but since I'm not at the Joplin campus itself, I can't answer Joplin specific questions unless maybe it's about curriculum since we share the same curriculum.

BCOM's only pro is that it doesnt have cadaver lab.

Go to KCU.