KCUMB class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
dulcinea said:
hi all, i'm a 2nd year here a KCUMB and am just basically wasting time today and enjoying my summer, so i thought i'd answer a question about the equipment. i personally really like having all of the equipment. you have to bring it to many labs, it's great practice, and i think the best doctors are those who try and really want to learn. it's great to be able to do your own respiratory and cardio exams your first year and practice on family and friends. plus, you'll need it for score 1, any other volunteer activities/screenings/ that you do, and many other things. i'm going on a mission this summer and am definitely bringing my own stuff. plus, even when you're shadowing a doctor, it's nice to have your own stethoscope-who wants to put someone else's ear goo in your own ear!

hope this helps a little! of course, you can always buy it on your own off of e-bay, the brand really isn't important but you'll see that the school's offer is a good deal for all that you get. :)

me
Well the brand really is important apparently. Dr. Desai (sp?) has to check off on all the equipment that we get. The reason we have to buy these packages is because apparently past students would try to get by as cheap as possible and either not buy any equipment, or use some cheaper stuff a drug rep gave them. This is to put everyone on the same level with the same equipment. I would not buy anything outside the package they offer unless it is the exact same brand, just to be safe. I just think it sucks they hit us with it so late, and are requiring it before fin aid comes in, oh well, se la vi...

Members don't see this ad.

dulcinea said:
hi all, i'm a 2nd year here a KCUMB and am just basically wasting time today and enjoying my summer, so i thought i'd answer a question about the equipment. i personally really like having all of the equipment. you have to bring it to many labs, it's great practice, and i think the best doctors are those who try and really want to learn. it's great to be able to do your own respiratory and cardio exams your first year and practice on family and friends. plus, you'll need it for score 1, any other volunteer activities/screenings/ that you do, and many other things. i'm going on a mission this summer and am definitely bringing my own stuff. plus, even when you're shadowing a doctor, it's nice to have your own stethoscope-who wants to put someone else's ear goo in your own ear!

hope this helps a little! of course, you can always buy it on your own off of e-bay, the brand really isn't important but you'll see that the school's offer is a good deal for all that you get. :)

me

It is not that people don't want to learn, they might not be able to afford it in less than a month's notice. It does seem like a good deal for what the package entails.

Anyway,

I haven't called KCUMB, I don't think it would matter, they'll just say it is required. I'd like to have the package.

I have talked to other med students at different schools, and docs and they said buying a Pan Optic is an overkill for a med student. :confused:

Now, I'm not trying to discourage anyone from getting it. It is just, of course, if we don't buy the Pan Optic (since it is top of the line) the playing field won't be equal, but still wondering if we can get away with a less expensive non-pan optic. I dunno.

who's going? I want to check it out, but already booked my plane ticket and can't move into CT till Aug 1, what do you guys think? is it worth it to spend like 200 bucks to stay in a hotel and change my plane tickets for this course? Wish they told us about this class earlier... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
the book list is LONG....wow...
I can't believe medical school is only a month away!!!! :eek:

JJcandy said:
who's going? I want to check it out, but already booked my plane ticket and can't move into CT till Aug 1, what do you guys think? is it worth it to spend like 200 bucks to stay in a hotel and change my plane tickets for this course? Wish they told us about this class earlier... :(
I guess I haven't been paying attention. What is this program?

has everyone received their matriculation packets? i didn't get mine yet, maybe they dropped me from the class :smuggrin:

docmd2010 said:
has everyone received their matriculation packets? i didn't get mine yet, maybe they dropped me from the class :smuggrin:

I got mine at the beginning of last week.

med-i-cal said:
I guess I haven't been paying attention. What is this program?

I too must have missed out on this. Was it somewhere in our packet?

ambernikel said:
I too must have missed out on this. Was it somewhere in our packet?

Same here. I thought those titled programs were for pre-meds, no?

Hey guys, once again congrats on attending KCUMB, you won't regret coming here. Every school has major/minor plusses and minuses, KCUMB is a good place. If you need any suggestions or advice please feel free to either pm or ask on here. If i can suggest this, don't buy all the books on the list, that's a common mistake. Talk to 1st and 2nd years and see what they've found important. Most of the books i used i found important--and now that i'm done with my 2nd year i'm selling them, they are attached as well as some other stuff i'm selling. Feel free to email or call if you're interested. Good luck with this awesome endeavor

Attachments

• stuff for sale.doc
    57 KB · Views: 162
2010!!! Are there any other single mother's accepted for the 2010 graduating class? I am wondering how you are coping with the move and transition with your child/children. What financial plans do you have in place, etc.....

so is everybody buying a new computer? i have one that's 3 years old and it definitely doesn't have the capabilities that they emailed to us. i'm trying to decide if i really need to buy a new one or not.

definetily not buying a new computer, i think u just need one for basic functions, we don't even have wirless on campus so i think we'll be using them for personal use only. if u think u need a new comp get one, but i wouldn't get one cuz the university tells u too.

just my two cents

Members don't see this ad :)
I just built a computer a couple months ago, so I should be set for some time to come...

Hey all-
Anyone else starting to feel like "OMG, they're going to let me become a doctor!"? Its weird to be finally starting something I've worked so long for. Anyway... I'm driving from Chicago to KC Weds-Friday if anyone wants to meet up. I plan on apartment hunting and driving around to get the hang of KC. See you all in August!

Khia18 said:
Hey all-
Anyone else starting to feel like "OMG, they're going to let me become a doctor!"? Its weird to be finally starting something I've worked so long for. Anyway... I'm driving from Chicago to KC Weds-Friday if anyone wants to meet up. I plan on apartment hunting and driving around to get the hang of KC. See you all in August!

I live an hour away from Chicago in Michigan City--ever heard of it? I'm leaving for KC to find a place to live next thursday.

Never heard of Michigan City. Well I'll probably be staying at the Quarterage or whatever its called. Anyone/Everyone in the area who might want to meet up for some drinks Weds or Thurs night, let me know!

Khia18 said:
Hey all-
Anyone else starting to feel like "OMG, they're going to let me become a doctor!"?

I was just having a conversation with someone tonight (a fellow classmate/recent grad) in which the statement was made "whoever decided to grant me a medical degree was a real idiot". So the feeling never really goes away, just FYI.

LovelyRita said:
I was just having a conversation with someone tonight (a fellow classmate/recent grad) in which the statement was made "whoever decided to grant me a medical degree was a real idiot". So the feeling never really goes away, just FYI.

Good to know. I was thinking about all this recently too. :rolleyes:

Khia18 said:
Hey all-
Don't worry about it too much, after all, there is a 50% chance you'll graduate in the top half of your class (just don't think about the converse implication) ;)

Is anyone else moving early to KC? I'm moving July 15th if anyone is around then and wants to meet up or go for a drink let me know... I'll just be trying to figure out how to get around and where or what there is to do.

I'm moving July 15th too! We should get together sometime (anybody in town)! I'll be figuring out where everything is and enjoying those last weeks of no studying (even though I have to admit that I'm excited to start) :)

ambernikel said:
Is anyone else moving early to KC? I'm moving July 15th if anyone is around then and wants to meet up or go for a drink let me know... I'll just be trying to figure out how to get around and where or what there is to do.

Hey there! So you're back from Tokyo! My sister is getting Married on the 15th and I'm in the wedding. I am going down thursday to find a place to live...don't know when I can move I was hoping right after July 15th. Guess I will see what happens.

ambernikel said:

My fiance and I are planning to move into our place on July 15th also. We both know the kansas city area pretty well and would be happy to show you around and hang out.

Hey guys, I was just running through some of my old stuff and found that Medical Terminology book that the school suggests. If anybody wants to buy it ($15) just private message me.
Also, I've noticed a few people mentioning they need to learn the area and whatnot. My fiance and I going to be in the KC area until late August so if anybody new to KC / KCUMB wants to ask (or meet up in KC) for advice on school, what to do in the area, where to live etc...just private message me on here (we're originally from chicago burbs).
Good luck everybody!

Hey classmates!

I found a website where you can buy scrubs for cheap! 10 bucks per pair-if you buy more than 2 pairs, really cheap in my opinion. I bought 6 pairs for a total of 76 bucks with shipping and everything. I believe the school sells them for 15 bucks, so you're saving about 15 dollars.

www.allheart.com

See ya in august!

kumark13 said:
My fiance and I are planning to move into our place on July 15th also. We both know the kansas city area pretty well and would be happy to show you around and hang out.

Awesome!

so in my financial aid package it didn't have any money listed under health insurance. is that just something we add later when we have it or what's the deal.

It's something you have to take care of on your own. It is required and they will have to see proof of insurance before they let you start (supposedly). They have an agent or two that deals with a lot of the students, I'm sure if you called, they'd give you the names.

med-i-cal said:
It's something you have to take care of on your own. It is required and they will have to see proof of insurance before they let you start (supposedly). They have an agent or two that deals with a lot of the students, I'm sure if you called, they'd give you the names.

yeah i know i have to take care of it on my own, but i'll need extra loan money to pay for it. i looked at those booklets we got and it's gonna be over $100 a month. I was just saying i didn't have any extra loan money to pay for health insurance.

I spoke with the school and they add this into your finacial aid package when you show proof you purchased it. You don't have to purchase it up-front, you can have it billed to you and show the school the bill statement once you get it.

Hope this helps. I am in a financial bind,too. I didn't realize that getting started was going to cost a fortune. No wonder why more people don't try to get into medical school. You have to be independently wealthy to start!!! Or have a mommy and daddy that spoil you!!!

ihateresearch said:
yeah i know i have to take care of it on my own, but i'll need extra loan money to pay for it. i looked at those booklets we got and it's gonna be over $100 a month. I was just saying i didn't have any extra loan money to pay for health insurance.

I'm feeling the same way... poor, very poor.
radioactive_sci said:
I spoke with the school and they add this into your finacial aid package when you show proof you purchased it. You don't have to purchase it up-front, you can have it billed to you and show the school the bill statement once you get it.

Hope this helps. I am in a financial bind,too. I didn't realize that getting started was going to cost a fortune. No wonder why more people don't try to get into medical school. You have to be independently wealthy to start!!! Or have a mommy and daddy that spoil you!!!

ambernikel said:
I'm feeling the same way... poor, very poor.

yeah it's pretty sad. i really wish we could get our loans before school starts to pay for all this start up stuff. now i'm thinking i shouldn't be taking this next month off.

ihateresearch said:
yeah it's pretty sad. i really wish we could get our loans before school starts to pay for all this start up stuff. now i'm thinking i shouldn't be taking this next month off.

I decided I will just deal with being poor. Even that extra month of work a lot of times isn't enough :rolleyes: . Good luck with moving everyone!

Might as well get used to this being poor thing. We're all going to be poor as hell for probably the next 8 years or so. How I love explaining to people that I am working my butt off so I can be poor for the next near decade.

Okay people. I'm driving into KC from Chicago Wednesday sometime, will be there through Friday. Who wants to meet up? I'm hoping none of you are crazy people, because here is my aim Leah12682. Please don't stalk me. :D
Hope to see some people while I'm in town, since I will inevitably get lost.

Hey guys, I have a question for you. I read in the osteopathic forum that some schools don't set up clinical rotations for you. Is this true for KCUMB? So It possible that we could be screwed third year and not have rotations? How does this system generally work?

docmd2010 said:
Hey guys, I have a question for you. I read in the osteopathic forum that some schools don't set up clinical rotations for you. Is this true for KCUMB? So It possible that we could be screwed third year and not have rotations? How does this system generally work?

Your 3rd year will be set up by the school. During your second year (a few months into it... around October), you will select your 3 top choices for rotation sites. There are tons from Florida to KC to Oregon to New Jersey... you get the picture.
During your 4th year, the rotations are set up by YOU. From what I understand the rotation can be setup wherever there is an accredited program that is approved by the school-- many students will stick to their core site, but in essence you could be at the same site all year, or be in 6 differents states!
As long as you pass your classes and boards, there is no way you will go without a rotation site for your entire 3rd year.

ihateresearch said:

I already gave up trying to save, and started putting everything on my credit card. :p

who's opting for option B on the medical equipment? i'm scared the NiCad battery will die in four years... :scared:

i'm gonna go for option B-might as well spent a little more and get the nicer package.

Me too on the 2nd option.....one of the students got on here and talked about how she wished she had gotten the lithium battery one....hell what's another $100 (approximately) when we're spending $700.....VISA...cha-ching :oops:

Regarding the equipment. I am going to purchase everything seperately as I need it. That way I can get the type of stethoscope I want. I'm sure you can find cheaper otoscopes from other med student, too. Just my thoughts.

radioactive_sci said:
Regarding the equipment. I am going to purchase everything seperately as I need it. That way I can get the type of stethoscope I want. I'm sure you can find cheaper otoscopes from other med student, too. Just my thoughts.
I don't think they are going to allow you to do this, you are supposed to have all your equipment by orientation, and it has to be approved equipment. I wish we could do this though, it would be so much cheaper.

To those going for option B, I considered doing this as well, but I thought I may try to get by as cheap as possible and upgrade later when I get my financial aid money. I guess the catch to this is in the question; Will it even be possible to switch out a NiCad battery for a LiIon? Or are they permanently in the equipment? Does anyone know the answer to this by chance?

med-i-cal said:
I don't think they are going to allow you to do this, you are supposed to have all your equipment by orientation, and it has to be approved equipment. I wish we could do this though, it would be so much cheaper.

To those going for option B, I considered doing this as well, but I thought I may try to get by as cheap as possible and upgrade later when I get my financial aid money. I guess the catch to this is in the question; Will it even be possible to switch out a NiCad battery for a LiIon? Or are they permanently in the equipment? Does anyone know the answer to this by chance?

I called the university the other day and asked them about the equipment, and they said that you CAN buy the equipment on your own, you DO NOT have to get it from the university. it is just an option that they have presented to you. Also, about option B,i think i'm gonna go with it-just in case-i would like my equipment to last for a lifetime. I think the lithium ion battery kit is more expensive because the instrument is made to accomodate the lithium ion battery, whereas the kit with the standard battary only accomodates the standard battery. of course this is what i think ;)

I knew that you can buy the equipment on your own, but it still has to be APPROVED equipment. A friend of mine talked to the person who has to do the approval, so those are his words, not my own. In other words, I don't think they would accept a free drug-rep stethoscope or ophthalmoscope over the nicer ones they are requiring us to buy. Once again, this is only what I was told, I just didn't want to see anyone waste money on something they couldn't use.

On second thought, I may go with option B as well...

med-i-cal said:

I thought about replacing the battery later..but I couldn't find on the welch allyn site if they sold the LiIon battery separately. I didn't want to risk it so I went with option B.

med-i-cal said:
I knew that you can buy the equipment on your own, but it still has to be APPROVED equipment. A friend of mine talked to the person who has to do the approval, so those are his words, not my own. In other words, I don't think they would accept a free drug-rep stethoscope or ophthalmoscope over the nicer ones they are requiring us to buy. Once again, this is only what I was told, I just didn't want to see anyone waste money on something they couldn't use.

On second thought, I may go with option B as well...

Awesome. I already have some equipment so I am not buying any of the options.

Hey guys,
I've been a lurker for a while but now I need your help. I'm from California and well this is my first time moving somewhere. So far I've ben excited about getting out of the bad air quality here in the Inland Empire. Now, however, I am faced with a problem and I am hoping you guys can help me.
I need to pick up furnitures (not from Century Towers) from the owner on July 30, however my move-in date for century towers is not until August 1. I asked the manager from Ct if it's possible to move in on July 30 (Sunday), but she won't let me. She also won't let us use the storage because the furniture is not from a tenant at CT. It's not even that much, its just 1 couch, 1 desk, 2 lamps, and 1 end table.
I hope you guys can help me. If you guys can help me I'll be your best friend :D

ambernikel said:
Awesome. I already have some equipment so I am not buying any of the options.
Even if you have your own equipment, I'd take it in and make sure they ok it. I'd hate to hear them say no, and then it's too late for the July 5th deadline on the schools packages. :eek: