KCUMB COB Discussion Thread 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got put on the waiting list! Really hoping I get in because if I receive an offer, I would definitely choose KCUMB over the other programs I’m also applying to!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for answering questions. Do you think 1-year students have a reasonable amount of time to participate in research? Or would my time be better spent protecting my GPA?
In my opinion, there is plenty of time. The lab I work in is very flexible and I don't come in during test weeks or anything. I probably average 3-5 hours per week in the lab, and feel like I have plenty of time for studying. Honestly, you just need to manage your time. I would say on an average week I'm done with school (studying and everything) by around 5:00 each day. The week before test week and test week all bets are off though... test week is rough and if I'm awake, I'm studying. Overall very doable though.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. Are there any classes or professors you'd recommend or warn against? Also, I'm coming from out of state and I don't know where to live!
The professors here are all awesome. Nobody to steer clear of IMO. As far as where to live goes, I'm probably not as much help as some of the others. I live at CT (Century towers) which is right across the street from school and I like it. It's nothing fancy, but it's a place to sleep and I have no real complaints. I'm not really sure about other options because CT was the the first place I applied to and once I got in here I stopped looking :).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got off the wait list and received my acceptance email today!!!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got accepted. Anyone know how much this program costs for someone out of state?

Hey guys! So glad this forum exists. Just got my acceptance this week. Sorry if this has already been answered, but does anybody know when the fall semester starts? Thanks!

Hey guys! So glad this forum exists. Just got my acceptance this week. Sorry if this has already been answered, but does anybody know when the fall semester starts? Thanks!
Not sure when it starts, but orientation is Wednesday August 1 through Friday August 3, so my best guess would be the semester starts August 6

Just got accepted. Anyone know how much this program costs for someone out of state?

its a private institution. we all pay the same! The estimated cost/budget can be found on kcumbs website

Yes its 4 + 1! You will choose your fall elective during orientation. Electives are first come first serve, but they hold like up to 70ish think in a class.

Fall will be: Anatomy I, Physiology I, Epidemiology, Biochemistry + your elective
Spring will be: Anatomy II, Physiology II, Immunology, Molecular & Cellular Biology + your elective

The two year track students only take 2 course a semester while being full time in their labs.

Hi!
Thank you for your awesome reply. I have some questions if you don’t mind.
1) Is Anatomy and Physiology includes a lab or is it just lecture?
2)Any advice on what to choose for elective courses?
3)Is working part time possible if you want to do well? >3.8 gpa.
4) what do you like best about the program and what is the linkage to their medical school?
5) Also, what’s the dress code?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi!
4) what do you like best about the program and what is the linkage to their medical school?

Thank you!
Hi there!
I’m also a current COB student so I’d be happy to give your questions a shot

1) Lecture only. There are no labs.
2) Choose what interests you as an elective. Your first semester you choose between histology and microbiology. I chose histology and I enjoyed the class overall. From what I hear microbiology was good too. For second semester, you choose either embryology or genetics. I chose embryology and I’m not going to lie, its been rough. Just an overall difficult subject IMO, but I’ll probably be glad I learned it when med school comes around.
3) I wouldn’t recommend a part time job. I think it would probably be possible, but you’d have to manage your time reaaly well. During test week you would regret having a job... that would be hell. Depending on how bad you want it I guess it would be possible, but I’d recommend against it.
4) I think the faculty and the interaction with current med students are the best parts. You really get the feeling that the faculty cares about your success here. Also having med students around is great when you want to get a feel for what they go through and they’ve been happy to give advice if you ask. There is no direct linkage to the medical school per se, but you’re guaranteed an interview if you get at least a 3.5 gpa the first semester and have a 501 or higher MCAT. I’m not sure about the numbers exactly, but several of us were accepted either to the KC campus or Joplin campus. All I could do is speculate as to how many acceptances there were though because they havent told us and you don’t want to go around asking out of respect for those that didnt get accepted. I know that there were several students waitlisted as well and historically a lot of COB students are eventually accepted off the waitlist.
5) most days there is no dress code. Sometimes they have us dress business casual for special events, but they make sure you know ahead of time.

Hi there!
I’m also a current COB student so I’d be happy to give your questions a shot

1) Lecture only. There are no labs.
2) Choose what interests you as an elective. Your first semester you choose between histology and microbiology. I chose histology and I enjoyed the class overall. From what I hear microbiology was good too. For second semester, you choose either embryology or genetics. I chose embryology and I’m not going to lie, its been rough. Just an overall difficult subject IMO, but I’ll probably be glad I learned it when med school comes around.
3) I wouldn’t recommend a part time job. I think it would probably be possible, but you’d have to manage your time reaaly well. During test week you would regret having a job... that would be hell. Depending on how bad you want it I guess it would be possible, but I’d recommend against it.
4) I think the faculty and the interaction with current med students are the best parts. You really get the feeling that the faculty cares about your success here. Also having med students around is great when you want to get a feel for what they go through and they’ve been happy to give advice if you ask. There is no direct linkage to the medical school per se, but you’re guaranteed an interview if you get at least a 3.5 gpa the first semester and have a 501 or higher MCAT. I’m not sure about the numbers exactly, but several of us were accepted either to the KC campus or Joplin campus. All I could do is speculate as to how many acceptances there were though because they havent told us and you don’t want to go around asking out of respect for those that didnt get accepted. I know that there were several students waitlisted as well and historically a lot of COB students are eventually accepted off the waitlist.
5) most days there is no dress code. Sometimes they have us dress business casual for special events, but they make sure you know ahead of time.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY. Very helpful.
Also, From previous posts, I saw that you have presentation project before graduation? But then on their website stated that you’re required to write a thesis paper instead?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY. Very helpful.
Also, From previous posts, I saw that you have presentation project before graduation? But then on their website stated that you’re required to write a thesis paper instead?
Last year they required a presentation project, but they changed that this year requiring a thesis paper instead. You’ll probably have to work on a thesis paper for your class.

Hi!

Thank you!

1) just lecture!
2) most people went with Histology and Embryology!
3) i say no to a PT job. treat this program like an investment in your future.
4) Faculty is super accessible, the school is really into students' success! I also love how our class schedule is structured. As I stated in a previous I gave the breakdown of the previous classes stats of matriculating into COM, you may have to go to it. But it seems pretty congruent to our class this year too.
5) We basically wear what ever want except on special days.

** a good chance you'll see biochem & molecular switching semesters next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got off the wait list and received my acceptance email today!!!!!!!

Hi! I got wait listed a few days ago. Can you tell me how long it took for an acceptance and how they contacted you?? Thanks!!

Hi! I got wait listed a few days ago. Can you tell me how long it took for an acceptance and how they contacted you?? Thanks!!
I got waitlisted on Friday, April 20th and was emailed that I was accepted on Tuesday, April 24th. It was a very quick turnaround, definitely not expecting that as I had read from previous years it took about a month. It was all through email! I received my acceptance email and a separate email with all the Matriculation information + my student ID. I hope this helps and hope you hear back soon with good news!

This might be a better question for admissions/student services, but I wanted to ask on here too. How should incoming students go about securing student housing/finding roomates?

Additionally should we expect an email from admissions about applying for financial aid?

This might be a better question for admissions/student services, but I wanted to ask on here too. How should incoming students go about securing student housing/finding roomates?

Additionally should we expect an email from admissions about applying for financial aid?

A lot of our classmates live in one bedrooms. Last year some people tried to use the Facebook to find roommates. There is a c/o 2019 Facebook group, that'd probably be a good place to start. Other than that it'll be tricky to find randoms outside of COB. I also think most people live alone because people are always weary to live with people they literally don't know to avoid conflict. All in all there you're on your own for picking out housing and signing your lease. but there is somebody who can help make suggestions, or set up tours for you if you make a visit to town, but you'll find her in the c/o 2019 Facebook as well.

The only thing you should have done is completed FAFSA. So you don't "apply" for anything through the university. Within FAFSA you choose to have your info sent to KCU! In the summer, late summer if i remember correctly you will get your KCU login info and will be able to go in agree to all those typical fin aid agreement & then accept the amount of loans you want.

Hey! I know the other person had a quick turn around, but I know someone who was on the waitlist for about 3 months. I think last week or so was the first time they pulled people of the waitlist, because the person I know was told they'd find out in late April when they were waitlisted in January. So they had been patiently waiting to hear back, but they had to submit their Letter of Intent too. Moving forward, I have no clue on how often they revisit that list. That may be a question you could ask them directly!

About the financial aid, after receiving your student ID number and paying your deposit and submitting your arbitration agreement, if you go to the matriculation page and scroll to the bottom, click on financial aid and then click on financial aid process/apply for financial aid in 4 simple steps, you’ll see that after they have your fafsa information, there is also something for the school you have to fill out in net partner. There is a link that will take you to that application. You won’t be able to access it until you have paid the deposit though unless I was misinformed. The application is pretty simple, not long at all. Doesn’t require a whole lot from you just some pretty basic information. After that you’ll be able to get financial aid. I just got my award notification last week. Hope this helps!

Has anyone heard anything about a start date yet? :)

Has anyone heard anything about a start date yet? :)
Orientation is August 1-3 and I think some stuff that weekend on August 4 and 5, so my guess is school would start August 6 cause that makes sense, but I don’t know for sure

Just got word from admissions that Accepted Students’ Day is on June 14th. Mark your calendars :)

So does anyone at all have any idea about grad plus loans? I know what it is and how they check for an adverse credit history, but what I don’t know is how that works in situations and the school or anybody I call can’t tell me. I have a medical debt in collections for about $900. I know I won’t qualify for the loan if I don’t pay it off. What I don’t know is if I pay the $900 if it will allow me to get the loan or not. I wonder if paying it off if they will still count it against me because I just paid it off and it won’t have been that long. If I won’t get the loan without a co-signer whether I pay it off or not, then I might as well save my $900 cause I don’t have anybody willing to co-sign for the loan. And if I can’t get this loan, I’m out of options and I’ll be going back to undergrad to become a teacher or something. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

So does anyone at all have any idea about grad plus loans? I know what it is and how they check for an adverse credit history, but what I don’t know is how that works in situations and the school or anybody I call can’t tell me. I have a medical debt in collections for about $900. I know I won’t qualify for the loan if I don’t pay it off. What I don’t know is if I pay the $900 if it will allow me to get the loan or not. I wonder if paying it off if they will still count it against me because I just paid it off and it won’t have been that long. If I won’t get the loan without a co-signer whether I pay it off or not, then I might as well save my $900 cause I don’t have anybody willing to co-sign for the loan. And if I can’t get this loan, I’m out of options and I’ll be going back to undergrad to become a teacher or something. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

This is straight from the internet:
"Borrowers of Grad PLUS Loans and Parent PLUS Loans must not have an adverse credit history. An adverse credit history occurs when
  • the borrower has a current delinquency of 90 or more days on more than $2,085 in total debt; or
  • the borrower has more than $2,085 in total debt in collections or charged-off during the two years preceding the date of the credit report; or
  • the borrower’s credit report has a derogatory event within the five years preceding the date of the credit report."
So I think you are fine considering your debt collections is below that $2,085, if this is the case. However, I am not familiar with this so I can't say for sure but let's hope that's the case!

This is straight from the internet:
"Borrowers of Grad PLUS Loans and Parent PLUS Loans must not have an adverse credit history. An adverse credit history occurs when
  • the borrower has a current delinquency of 90 or more days on more than $2,085 in total debt; or
  • the borrower has more than $2,085 in total debt in collections or charged-off during the two years preceding the date of the credit report; or
  • the borrower’s credit report has a derogatory event within the five years preceding the date of the credit report."
So I think you are fine considering your debt collections is below that $2,085, if this is the case. However, I am not familiar with this so I can't say for sure but let's hope that's the case!

Agreed!!! I read that too and severely hope that’s the case! But I also got this email from someone at the federal student aid website and here is the quote from them on what adverse credit history is in relation to grad plus loans:
  • Collection account - Any account (open or closed) listed as an unpaid collection with a balance greater than zero in the past 2 years preceding the date of the credit report. By definition, accounts in collection are more than 90 days past due
So my worry based on that wording is that even if I pay it off, the balance within the last 2 years at some point would have been over $0 even though it isn’t currently over $0. In which case there is absolutely no benefit to paying it off, other than just to pay it off to prevent further trouble down the road. But as far as for a grad plus loan now there would be no benefit.

Agreed!!! I read that too and severely hope that’s the case! But I also got this email from someone at the federal student aid website and here is the quote from them on what adverse credit history is in relation to grad plus loans:
  • Collection account - Any account (open or closed) listed as an unpaid collection with a balance greater than zero in the past 2 years preceding the date of the credit report. By definition, accounts in collection are more than 90 days past due
So my worry based on that wording is that even if I pay it off, the balance within the last 2 years at some point would have been over $0 even though it isn’t currently over $0. In which case there is absolutely no benefit to paying it off, other than just to pay it off to prevent further trouble down the road. But as far as for a grad plus loan now there would be no benefit.

Hmmm that's interesting and somewhat misleading!!

I've been reading different things on the internet and it looks like it USED to be "90 or more days delinquent on any debt," however in 2015 it was changed to: "Under the new rules effective March 29, 2015, in determining whether there is an adverse credit history, the Department will consider whether the applicant has one or more debts with a total outstanding balance greater than $2,085, debts that are 90 or more days delinquent as of the date of the credit report."

In my opinion, it would be ****ty for you to be denied getting the loan due to only a $900 debt. But that's weird that they would not give you any information when you called.

Hmmm that's interesting and somewhat misleading!!

I've been reading different things on the internet and it looks like it USED to be "90 or more days delinquent on any debt," however in 2015 it was changed to: "Under the new rules effective March 29, 2015, in determining whether there is an adverse credit history, the Department will consider whether the applicant has one or more debts with a total outstanding balance greater than $2,085, debts that are 90 or more days delinquent as of the date of the credit report."

In my opinion, it would be ****ty for you to be denied getting the loan due to only a $900 debt. But that's weird that they would not give you any information when you called.
Agreed! I just can’t believe it’s so hard to get a straight answer. And I get paying it off is the right thing to do no matter if it helps or not, which I kinda feel like is the reason I can’t get a straight answer because these people just want me to pay it like a responsible person, but I’d rather not have to use my graduation money to pay it off if I don’t have to and use that money to move from Texas to Missouri. That’s why I’m trying to get some concrete answers but I keep getting information that is contradicting. Sometimes even on the same website

Agreed! I just can’t believe it’s so hard to get a straight answer. And I get paying it off is the right thing to do no matter if it helps or not, which I kinda feel like is the reason I can’t get a straight answer because these people just want me to pay it like a responsible person, but I’d rather not have to use my graduation money to pay it off if I don’t have to and use that money to move from Texas to Missouri. That’s why I’m trying to get some concrete answers but I keep getting information that is contradicting. Sometimes even on the same website
Yeah, that is definitely frustrating! Well hopefully you can get some answers, and regardless if you pay it off now or not, I hope you are still able to get the loans because it would be a shame to not attend a great program due to money!!! But I totally understand because I am currently figuring out my moving transition from California to Missouri.

Yeah, that is definitely frustrating! Well hopefully you can get some answers, and regardless if you pay it off now or not, I hope you are still able to get the loans because it would be a shame to not attend a great program due to money!!! But I totally understand because I am currently figuring out my moving transition from California to Missouri.
Thanks me too! And that’s a heck of a move lol. It wouldn’t be so bad if I had someone who could co-sign, but that’s not a burden many people want to co-sign for. God forbid something happen to me and I can’t pay it or I pass away or something crazy, that debt is left to someone in my family. I’m not even sure I would let someone co-sign if they were willing to because thats the only kind of debt you can’t file bankruptcy on or have just disappear. Now I don’t plan on dying by any means but if I get into a car accident or become paralyzed and can’t be a doctor, that’s a ton of debt to take on for my family. I’m the first one to even go to college so we are far from wealthy. Such a tough situation. All centered around a medical bill I got when I was a freshman in college

Thanks me too! And that’s a heck of a move lol. It wouldn’t be so bad if I had someone who could co-sign, but that’s not a burden many people want to co-sign for. God forbid something happen to me and I can’t pay it or I pass away or something crazy, that debt is left to someone in my family. I’m not even sure I would let someone co-sign if they were willing to because thats the only kind of debt you can’t file bankruptcy on or have just disappear. Now I don’t plan on dying by any means but if I get into a car accident or become paralyzed and can’t be a doctor, that’s a ton of debt to take on for my family. I’m the first one to even go to college so we are far from wealthy. Such a tough situation. All centered around a medical bill I got when I was a freshman in college
Definitely a heck of a move but I am beyond ready to get out of California! So I am very excited to be moving to the midwest!
Yeah my parents or anyone won't co-sign for myself either nor would I want anyone to because it definitely is a huge responsibility and a burden god forbid if something did happen. So let's hope you can still get your grad plus loans!!
Once you paid your matriculation fee and were able to apply for financial aid, how long did it take for you to receive your award letter?

Definitely a heck of a move but I am beyond ready to get out of California! So I am very excited to be moving to the midwest!
Yeah my parents or anyone won't co-sign for myself either nor would I want anyone to because it definitely is a huge responsibility and a burden god forbid if something did happen. So let's hope you can still get your grad plus loans!!
Once you paid your matriculation fee and were able to apply for financial aid, how long did it take for you to receive your award letter?

Well when I finished everything, it was still March, and they told me nobody gets an award letter till late April, and that’s when I got it, so I’m not sure what the turn around would be now that it’s past April. I would imagine it’s 2-3 weeks just a good guess

I received access to the financial aid portal (netparter) on 4/25 and completed the documents needed that day. I received my award letter on 5/2. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone knew if we will receive enough financial aid (i.e. loans) to cover not just tuition, but also cost of living and all other expenses? I have not yet committed because my parents want me to come visit first before committing, so I will be visiting KC next week. However, I already have my heart set on attending KCUMB. My parents biggest concern is whether or not I'll be able to receive enough loans to cover everything since they will not be able to help me financially.

I was wondering if anyone knew if we will receive enough financial aid (i.e. loans) to cover not just tuition, but also cost of living and all other expenses? I have not yet committed because my parents want me to come visit first before committing, so I will be visiting KC next week. However, I already have my heart set on attending KCUMB. My parents biggest concern is whether or not I'll be able to receive enough loans to cover everything since they will not be able to help me financially.
Well, I’ve never had any kind of loans, so I don’t know if it’s different or the same for everyone else, but I got enough federal loans to cover everything I need. And I probably won’t even take all they are willing to give just because I think I can live cheaper than what they have budgeted.

Well, I’ve never had any kind of loans, so I don’t know if it’s different or the same for everyone else, but I got enough federal loans to cover everything I need. And I probably won’t even take all they are willing to give just because I think I can live cheaper than what they have budgeted.
Ok thanks! I guess I won't really know anything for sure until I commit and apply for the financial aid to get my award letter. But I guess I was just trying to gauge whether others were getting enough to cover everything!

You would have plenty to cover living expenses, as long as you aren't trying to live in some luxury loft downtown on the top floor lol. But I say that only if you choose to accept the grad plus loan on top of the other loan, then you will be fine. Not accepting the grad plus loan would leave an enormous amount of funds left on your shoulders. KCU keeps an estimated expense living cost on their website and breaks it down. The amount that they estimate is the max amount you would be awarded between the two loans. I think for us our budget for tuition and living was around 58,000 for the year.

You would have plenty to cover living expenses, as long as you aren't trying to live in some luxury loft downtown on the top floor lol. But I say that only if you choose to accept the grad plus loan on top of the other loan, then you will be fine. Not accepting the grad plus loan would leave an enormous amount of funds left on your shoulders. KCU keeps an estimated expense living cost on their website and breaks it down. The amount that they estimate is the max amount you would be awarded between the two loans. I think for us our budget for tuition and living was around 58,000 for the year.
Ok perfect thank you so much for your help! That is what I was assuming, I was just trying to confirm more for my parents' sake. :)

1) just lecture!
2) most people went with Histology and Embryology!
3) i say no to a PT job. treat this program like an investment in your future.
4) Faculty is super accessible, the school is really into students' success! I also love how our class schedule is structured. As I stated in a previous I gave the breakdown of the previous classes stats of matriculating into COM, you may have to go to it. But it seems pretty congruent to our class this year too.
5) We basically wear what ever want except on special days.

** a good chance you'll see biochem & molecular switching semesters next year.
Do people often get the elective of their choosing?

Do people often get the elective of their choosing?

Yes! I believe our cap was around 70 max per class, So the elective classes don't HAVE to be 50/50 but once that cap is reached in one elective then you don't get an option of course. First semester the electives were pretty split around 50/50. Second semester seems more like were at a 70/30 split. lol but one elective class filled all the way up that's why. An email is sent out while at orientation and you sign up that way.

Yes! I believe our cap was around 70 max per class, So the elective classes don't HAVE to be 50/50 but once that cap is reached in one elective then you don't get an option of course. First semester the electives were pretty split around 50/50. Second semester seems more like were at a 70/30 split. lol but one elective class filled all the way up that's why. An email is sent out while at orientation and you sign up that way.
Thanks!! :)

im using my brothers throwaway account.

for current or past biomed science students at kcumb...
out of the electives offered...which ones fill up the fastest and why? serious question.

and also....would you recommend utilizing firecracker/anki?

really appreciate it!

Hey all, lots of great info in this thread I’m really thankful.

Question for those that applied this year how soon did you hear anything after getting the email stating your app was complete and ready for review?

Question for those that applied this year how soon did you hear anything after getting the email stating your app was complete and ready for review?
I received a decision 2 (at most 3 weeks) later after the completion email

Hello! I received my Application Complete and in Review Stage email on April 11th and on April 20th I received an email that I was put on the wait-list and on April 24th I was offered a spot for this upcoming cohort. They say up to 2 weeks to hear back, however, mine was only a little over a week.

I’m so excited to start! I hope you all agree!!

Hello! I received my Application Complete and in Review Stage email on April 11th and on April 20th I received an email that I was put on the wait-list and on April 24th I was offered a spot for this upcoming cohort. They say up to 2 weeks to hear back, however, mine was only a little over a week.

Wow you had a quick turn around!! It’s been a little over 2 weeks now since my “app is complete” email and I haven’t heard anything. Is all communication whether wl/accept/reject via email?

Wow you had a quick turn around!! It’s been a little over 2 weeks now since my “app is complete” email and I haven’t heard anything. Is all communication whether wl/accept/reject via email?
All mine was in email

Yes mine was all via email. However, I did receive hard copies in the mail as well about a week or so after the emails were sent out.

Yes mine was all via email. However, I did receive hard copies in the mail as well about a week or so after the emails were sent out.

Got the acceptance email yesterday!!! Im so excited. Deciding between this program and Midwestern where I was accepted last week. Thanks for all the info @babydoctor101 and @MicrobeMommy !!!