KCUMB COB Discussion 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MicrobeMommy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I didn’t see a current thread started for the new application year, so I figured I would start one. I am a current student in the program and I’d be happy to answer any questions anyone has!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I didn’t see a current thread started for the new application year, so I figured I would start one. I am a current student in the program and I’d be happy to answer any questions anyone has!

I guess we can get some of the basics out of the way

- class size?
- matriculants from the program / # of interviews given to those in the program? (either what you heard or from last years batch)
- how are the professors / staff?
- how have you (personally) been finding the program?
- have any complaints or things you would like to see changed?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: 1 user
I guess we can get some of the basics out of the way

- class size?
- matriculants from the program / # of interviews given to those in the program? (either what you heard or from last years batch)
- how are the professors / staff?
- how have you (personally) been finding the program?
- have any complaints or things you would like to see changed?

Thanks in advance

-class size? I believe we have about 110 students in the one year track and 5 in the two year track

- matriculants from the program / # of interviews given to those in the program? I’m not sure of the exact numbers. I know that last year 80ish% ended up where they wanted to be (medical school, dental school, etc) and it goes up to almost 90% during the year after graduation. We get a guaranteed interview if we get a 3.5 GPA (totally doable with hard work) and 501 MCAT during fall semester. I’m guessing that 50-75% of us will get interviews.

- how are the professors / staff? The staff and professors are wonderful! I have legitimately enjoyed every single professor and staff member that I have met. Everyone really does seem to care about us and they all know your name.

- how have you (personally) been finding the program? I love the program. I was hesitant about going for a masters degree before I reapplied to med school because I had a baby a few days before class started, but everyone was so supportive. They give you a lot of resources and presentations about applying to med school along with a free MCAT prep course if you want it. We had a college fair as well which allowed us to talk to admissions officers from med schools along with employers if we decided to go into industry afterwards. They offer tons of volunteer opportunities and give treats throughout the semester (we got donuts after last exam week). I highly recommend the program.

- have any complaints or things you would like to see changed? I truly love almost everything about the program and people I meet. The only annoyance is that orientation is 3 full days long and it could really be done in a day or even online. We also didn’t get a choice of elective in the first semester which they did last year. I think they are working on fixing that for next year. Also, we had 3 classes back to back on Tuesdays and Thursdays which got a little long.

My schedule for the year:
Fall
-Epidemiology-MWF 9-9:50am
-Molecular and Cell Bio-MWF 10-10:50am
-Histology TTh 8-9:15am
-Human Physiology 1 TTh 9:30-10:45am
-Human Anatomy 1 TTh 11-12:15pm

Spring
-Biochemistry MWF 9-9:50am
-Immunology MW 10-11:30am
-Human Physiology 2 TTh 9:30-10:45am
-Human Anatomy 2 TTh 11-12:15pm
Choice between two electives:
-Human Genetics MWF 8-8:50am
-Human Embryology TTh 8-9:15am

We have exam week where we have one exam every day Monday through Friday every 5-6 weeks (3 exam weeks). They give you the Thursday and Friday off of class before every exam week.

Pass/Fail Comprehensive exam at the end of the year.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
-class size? I believe we have about 110 students in the one year track and 5 in the two year track

- matriculants from the program / # of interviews given to those in the program? I’m not sure of the exact numbers. I know that last year 80ish% ended up where they wanted to be (medical school, dental school, etc) and it goes up to almost 90% during the year after graduation. We get a guaranteed interview if we get a 3.5 GPA (totally doable with hard work) and 501 MCAT during fall semester. I’m guessing that 50-75% of us will get interviews.

- how are the professors / staff? The staff and professors are wonderful! I have legitimately enjoyed every single professor and staff member that I have met. Everyone really does seem to care about us and they all know your name.

- how have you (personally) been finding the program? I love the program. I was hesitant about going for a masters degree before I reapplied to med school because I had a baby a few days before class started, but everyone was so supportive. They give you a lot of resources and presentations about applying to med school along with a free MCAT prep course if you want it. We had a college fair as well which allowed us to talk to admissions officers from med schools along with employers if we decided to go into industry afterwards. They offer tons of volunteer opportunities and give treats throughout the semester (we got donuts after last exam week). I highly recommend the program.

- have any complaints or things you would like to see changed? I truly love almost everything about the program and people I meet. The only annoyance is that orientation is 3 full days long and it could really be done in a day or even online. We also didn’t get a choice of elective in the first semester which they did last year. I think they are working on fixing that for next year. Also, we had 3 classes back to back on Tuesdays and Thursdays which got a little long.

Fall

Spring

We have exam week where we have one exam every day Monday through Friday every 5-6 weeks (3 exam weeks). They give you the Thursday and Friday off of class before every exam week.

Hope this helps!
Yeah it helps a lot honestly. Congrats on the baby btw. I may just go for the donuts alone lol.

A few follow-up questions:
- how is the rigor of the classes compared to upper level undergrad and (if you have talked to any of the med students who were in the COB program) compared to the actual med school classes

- Again, you may not know the answer to this, but do you know the percent of people who received IIs that actually got an acceptance?

- Have you heard anything about how other schools see this programs reputation?

- Any advice to future students planning on attending the program?

Thanks again for all the feedback/answers. It's super appreciated.

Fall

Spring

Hope this helps!
Super helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write this all up. I just was recently accepted to the program and am currently on the waitlist here for the COM. This post really helped me decide it was worth one year to get where I want to go. What's one year and a few bucks to make your dream happen? All of us have already done so much to get here, might as well jump one more hoop. Sounds like a great program and a really good prep for the next step for people whether that be med, dental, or Ph.D. tracks. Thank you again for your time and thoughtful response.
Also...who else got in? Are people moving into the area around KCU and trying to revitalize it? Or is it just falling further into disrepute? I walked around the area for a few days (during daytime) before my COM interview and it seemed like it was on the way up. But, places change at night. How do any current students feel about buying a home in the area (within 1 to 2 miles)? I ride a bike and have never owned a car and I don't want to start now. Prospects, yay or nay? Thanks, see you guys in the fall hopefully.

Thanks!

- how is the rigor of the classes compared to upper level undergrad and (if you have talked to any of the med students who were in the COB program) compared to the actual med school classes
I’ve talked to several students who did COB before they got into medical school and they said it put them at the top of the class. Not only do you learn how to effectively study and manage your time, the level of specificity you learn is tougher than undergrad. A lot of the professors give the same lectures that they give the med students, but they give it to us over a longer period. Because of this, we would definitely have a leg up over students who have never seen it before when we get into med school. I honestly thought I was ready for med school before I took this program and I realized quickly that I wasn’t nearly as ready as I thought I was. Now, I feel confident I can stand confidently at the top of the class. Five graduate classes at once is no joke.

- Again, you may not know the answer to this, but do you know the percent of people who received IIs that actually got an acceptance?
I am assuming that you mean people who got the guaranteed interview? I’m not entirely sure, but from the rumor mill, I’ve heard it is over 50% (but I can’t confirm because our class hasn’t went through our interviews yet).

This program has a very good reputation. In fact, quite a few students in my class have already gained med school acceptances due to their placement in the program (even before grades came out). There are a few med schools who also have an agreement with KCU to hold a couple seats for COB students in their next med school class.

The best advice would be to treat this program like a job. For a lot of us, this is our last chance, so we have to work our butt off. The nice part of this is that you have class only in the morning/early afternoon so they give you lots of time to study and have free time. Also, attend class. The profs are really good at hinting their favorite subjects to test on, so class is always good.

Yeah it helps a lot honestly. Congrats on the baby btw. I may just go for the donuts alone lol.

A few follow-up questions:

Thanks again for all the feedback/answers. It's super appreciated.

Reactions: 1 users
Super helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write this all up. I just was recently accepted to the program and am currently on the waitlist here for the COM. This post really helped me decide it was worth one year to get where I want to go. What's one year and a few bucks to make your dream happen? All of us have already done so much to get here, might as well jump one more hoop. Sounds like a great program and a really good prep for the next step for people whether that be med, dental, or Ph.D. tracks. Thank you again for your time and thoughtful response.
Also...who else got in? Are people moving into the area around KCU and trying to revitalize it? Or is it just falling further into disrepute? I walked around the area for a few days (during daytime) before my COM interview and it seemed like it was on the way up. But, places change at night. How do any current students feel about buying a home in the area (within 1 to 2 miles)? I ride a bike and have never owned a car and I don't want to start now. Prospects, yay or nay? Thanks, see you guys in the fall hopefully.
I agree with you. I’ve learned so much just in this past semester and med schools are actually considering me this year instead of blowing me off like they usually do. I think this program will give me a definite leg up when I get into med school. Also, a lot of different people got in. There are parents like me, older people who decided to change careers, younger people who have good GPAs but need something extracurricular to boost GPA, people with bad GPAs who need a masters program to show med school committees that they can achieve good grades, people who want to be in industry/dentistry/etc. Because of all these different types of people from all over the US are moving to the area for the program, I really do think the area is being revitalized. KCU is a tier 1 school for med school, so they attract a lot of attention. The diversity is great and KCU does a great job of getting us out into the community. There are several people in my program who don’t have cars and use bikes, walking, or public transport, so I think you would be good there!

Did you guys applied to this program through PostBacCas or on their website?

Anyone hear back from them yet? They state they would provide an answer within two weeks of application being completed but it's been nearly a month and nothing yet.

Anyone hear back from them yet? They state they would provide an answer within two weeks of application being completed but it's been nearly a month and nothing yet.
This is their busy time because of DO applications and such, so just keeping hanging in there. It took quite a while before I got an answer as well. If you are worried, you could always shoot them an email and ask the status of your application.

Thank you I will do just that then. Is there any way to check to see if you're missing any required document on your application through their online portal? I can't seem to find this function anywhere within their portal.

Thank you I will do just that then. Is there any way to check to see if you're missing any required document on your application through their online portal? I can't seem to find this function anywhere within their portal.
They should have emailed you that said your application was complete. If they haven’t, call or email to check.

Application submission: 2/9/2018
Application complete: 3/14/2018
Admission decision: 4/4/2018

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the email that I got accepted to the program!

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to multiple programs but will likely withdraw my application and attend KCOB based on the success rate of the program sending students to their professional school of choice.

I can send you my stats in private.

Congrats! You mind sharing your stats? Also, are you looking into any other programs?
Congrats!!! I decided to apply last week and was worried I am applying late. Do you all think if I get things in before February I have a shot? They also mentioned to add a cv and personal statement. I just had my personal statement written more so towards what attracted me to medicine and then added how I believe this program would benefit me...I’m hoping that’s okay. As well as for the CV I was going to list my activities with some bullet points for info about them. I had an aacomas and amcas app ready to go but was not happy with my Mcat as well as I felt that I need to prep myself better during this gap year and apply myself more. Everything was very straight forward on those apps and I was a bit worried about how they want us to organize everything for them. Any advice on the cv and personal statement would be awesome!

Your ideas for PS and CV are what I did. As far as the date, I applied in February last year and I know people who applied even later than me, so you should be fine! Just get it in as soon as you can, :)

Your ideas for PS and CV are what I did. As far as the date, I applied in February last year and I know people who applied even later than me, so you should be fine! Just get it in as soon as you can, :)
ah thank you!!! That is great to hear. I sent it all in today

Seeing no one else post their acceptance to the program is making me nervous that KCU might accidently send the acceptance to me:arghh:

Hello everyone. I was accepted into the KCU-COB for this year and overall looks like a great school. For those looking into doing a Masters Programs have you checked other schools that offer MS as well (PCOM, or LECOM)? Just want to make sure before I commit to this school. My reason to apply was not getting any answers back from DO Schools yet (granted I applied late, and did not have a good MCAT). My stats: 497 MCAT, Science GPA: 3.42 Overall: 3.58 (by AACOMAS)

Hello everyone. I was accepted into the KCU-COB for this year and overall looks like a great school. For those looking into doing a Masters Programs have you checked other schools that offer MS as well (PCOM, or LECOM)? Just want to make sure before I commit to this school. My reason to apply was not getting any answers back from DO Schools yet (granted I applied late, and did not have a good MCAT). My stats: 497 MCAT, Science GPA: 3.42 Overall: 3.58 (by AACOMAS)

Hi congrats on the acceptance! I applied to WesternU MSM/MSBS and LECOM PostBacc, but will most likely attending this program.

Completed in January and was accepted this week!

Are we supposed to receive a package in the mail in regard to securing the seat in 7-10 days of receiving the acceptance email or is this package sent through email?

Based on previous cycle people are still being accepted into the program in late April.

Are we supposed to receive a package in the mail in regard to securing the seat in 7-10 days of receiving the acceptance email or is this package sent through email?
They should send you everything in an email. The email should contain your student ID #. That's really all you need from the email. The rest is already on the website as far as what you need to turn in to them.

They should send you everything in an email. The email should contain your student ID #. That's really all you need from the email. The rest is already on the website as far as what you need to turn in to them.

Weird, my acceptance email doesn't have any information regarding student ID# or received any email with student ID on it.

Weird, my acceptance email doesn't have any information regarding student ID# or received any email with student ID on it.
Hmm, it should say; “Congratulations, next paragraph is about giving them money to reserve your spot, then info from the matriculation page, then your ID #. That’s what you use to associate your fees and other matriculation info. It’s a S0000##### ID. Shoot them an email if you look again and your ID # isn’t there.

Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that the Selection Committee of Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences has selected you as a student in our College of Biosciences-Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences degree program for fall 2019. This program has a rich history of preparing students for study in many professional fields such as medicine, veterinary, and dental programs.

You will be receiving more information about this program and how to secure your seat in the next 7-10 business days. Please feel free to contact the Office of Admissions at[email protected] with any questions you may have regarding your acceptance or the program.

Again, congratulations on your acceptance to Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences-College of Biosciences. We look forward to welcoming you to our university.

This was the content of the email

Welp, deposit made! I look forward to meet those of you who are going to be attending this Fall!

I got accepted today! I applied on January 22nd. Definitely excited to be coming here. My stats are cGPA 3.57, sGPA 3.5, and my GRE score was 290. I wrote in my personal statement that I was planning to attend medical school so I guess they were fine with my GRE score instead of MCAT. Does anyone know when we will be able to register for classes? I really would like to take the histology course and want to sign up as early as possible.

I think with your gpa it would be a waste of money taking an SMP. You should take the MCAT and apply directly into medical school. If you do well on the MCAT you shouldn’t have an issue getting an acceptance if everything else on your application is good.

I'm doing it to get a better foundation, my undergraduate degree is in humanities and I think this will help ease transition into medical school. And I'm not worried about money, I have a great support system back home helping.
Ah I see

anyone from the area have apt they can recommend? Aside from century tower. I’m from the west coast and planning to drive to Kansas City.

I saw some single bedroom apartments for around 600$ by the school. They looked nice and had great reviews, called maple flats. Looks kind of too good to be true but the reviews were great.

Thanks! I’ll look into them.

Does the Maple Flats look like its one of those apartment complex from an episode of Gangland?

I got accepted today! I applied on January 22nd. Definitely excited to be coming here. My stats are cGPA 3.57, sGPA 3.5, and my GRE score was 290. I wrote in my personal statement that I was planning to attend medical school so I guess they were fine with my GRE score instead of MCAT. Does anyone know when we will be able to register for classes? I really would like to take the histology course and want to sign up as early as possible.

Congrats!!
I would go on Zillow and look at the area rentals. There are some nice and cheaper apartments in the north Kansas City area (7 min drive) and the flats toward the Westport/ Gilham area may have some cheaper options as well!

I'm still looking around of apartments too. So far River Market look really enticing.

Have you heard anything about how other schools see this programs reputation?
This program has a very good reputation. In fact, quite a few students in my class have already gained med school acceptances due to their placement in the program (even before grades came out). There are a few med schools who also have an agreement with KCU to hold a couple seats for COB students in their next med school class.

Is there a list of other medical schools that have an agreement with KCU COB students? I haven't heard of this before

Is there a list of other medical schools that have an agreement with KCU COB students? I haven't heard of this before

There is no list but we have heard about a couple of them during the program. I apologize but I can’t remember the names. I remember the one we talked about recently which was Regis University for PharmD, but there were at least one or two medical schools they mentioned during application season.

There is no list but we have heard about a couple of them during the program. I apologize but I can’t remember the names. I remember the one we talked about recently which was Regis University for PharmD, but there were at least one or two medical schools they mentioned during application season.

That’s okay, I’m sure it will be mentioned at some point to us. I was also wondering if it was possible to take biochem in the fall instead of the spring? Or is it only the electives that can be taken in either semester?

Any recommended student housing? I will be moving from Texas and have no idea bout the surrounding area. Walking distance to campus is preferred!

Can I submit the arbitration agreement somewhere online or does it need to be mailed out?

That’s okay, I’m sure it will be mentioned at some point to us. I was also wondering if it was possible to take biochem in the fall instead of the spring? Or is it only the electives that can be taken in either semester?
The schedule is pretty much predetermined besides electives. They used to do Biochem in the fall but they switched in to spring because the average was pretty low from what I’ve heard. Molecular before biochem does help a bit. That being said, they may change it for the incoming class.

When is everyone planning to put the deposit down for apartments? June or July?

Can I have a current/former student message me? I just got accepted and I have a lot of questions.

Congrats to everyone accepted! I was also accepted recently and was wondering if the 3.5GPA first semester with a 501+ MCAT means a guaranteed interview?

There's really nothing on the website confirming this. And does this guaranteed interview basically mean an acceptance as long as you get the stats and don't get in trouble for behavior/professionalism?

I'm wondering and weighing this out to other programs since this program is fairly large and a bit of a risk as well.

Hey. I was wondering if you decided to go to KCUMB. Do you think you would have to retake the MCAT since I keep hearing 501 is MCAT they want. I got 500, not sure if that's a deterrent.