KCUMB COB Discussion Thread 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the acceptance email yesterday!!! Im so excited. Deciding between this program and Midwestern where I was accepted last week. Thanks for all the info @babydoctor101 and @MicrobeMommy !!!
WOOHOO Congrats!!! I got accepted to Midwestern IL and an interview invite for AZ campus, but turned both down for KCUMB. Keep us updated on where you decide!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
WOOHOO Congrats!!! I got accepted to Midwestern IL and an interview invite for AZ campus, but turned both down for KCUMB. Keep us updated on where you decide!!!!

Out of curiosity what made you decide on KCU? They’re both such great programs!!

Out of curiosity what made you decide on KCU? They’re both such great programs!!
Honestly, I really only applied to Midwestern-IL and AZ as last minute, back up programs. I didn't really do much research about the programs but they were on the PostBacCas application and I was applying to other programs through the general application service so I just added those before submitting my application. KCU was my top choice out of the programs I was applying to because of it's reputation and how established the program is. I have read so many great things about their program and my plan is to matriculate into a DO program and KCU has one of the best, so I figured it would be a no-brainer to attend their program. Plus the location of the school appealed to me most out of the other ones. Ultimately, it's where you see yourself the happiest because that's where you will succeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

I was accepted to this program as well, but I'm still debating between KCUMB and Rowan GSBS. I'm really leaning KCUMB, but if anyone has any insightful information about the later it would be greatly appreciated. Big thanks to all the COBers who gave information on the program! I'll be attending the accepted day on 6/14 as well. Hopefully that'll help me with my decision. Anyone get their hands on a some of the fall syllabi yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I got acceptance last week but I am not since I am from California and I had never been other States.
And I need to submit immunization packet and health Documents.
So I am pretty much confused this steps...Also now, I don't have any idea about housing.
If you don't mind, anybody comment for me?
I am still waiting for another school decisions since I came from California.

Thanks.

Hi,
I got acceptance last week but I am not since I am from California and I had never been other States.
And I need to submit immunization packet and health Documents.
So I am pretty much confused this steps...Also now, I don't have any idea about housing.
If you don't mind, anybody comment for me?
I am still waiting for another school decisions since I came from California.

Thanks.

You should have received an email with the immunization instructions.

I tried to copy the link, but apparently I haven't met the minimum posts to attach a link. Basically, just google "KCU COB Matriculation" and click on the first result.

For housing, there is Century Towers which is right across the street from campus.

You should have received an email with the immunization instructions.

I tried to copy the link, but apparently I haven't met the minimum posts to attach a link. Basically, just google "KCU COB Matriculation" and click on the first result.

For housing, there is Century Towers which is right across the street from campus.

Thanks.
I got a information about all of immunization examination and criminal background check up packets.
However, it would be taking over 3-5 business day from now.
So I actually, what should I have to do. And I am not a residency student who is international student so I need help for the international office form KCU but it still hard to contact any admission office in KCU.

And I want to know the estimated expense for the housing please.

Thanks.
I got a information about all of immunization examination and criminal background check up packets.
However, it would be taking over 3-5 business day from now.
So I actually, what should I have to do. And I am not a residency student who is international student so I need help for the international office form KCU but it still hard to contact any admission office in KCU.

And I want to know the estimated expense for the housing please.

this is the budget the school estimates. of course you can change this estimate easily my adjusting living style and personal wants.

http://cdn.agilitycms.com/kansas-ci...ions/financial-aid/Budget_Guide_BIOS_2019.pdf

Hey everyone!

I was accepted to this program as well, but I'm still debating between KCUMB and Rowan GSBS. I'm really leaning KCUMB, but if anyone has any insightful information about the later it would be greatly appreciated. Big thanks to all the COBers who gave information on the program! I'll be attending the accepted day on 6/14 as well. Hopefully that'll help me with my decision. Anyone get their hands on a some of the fall syllabi yet?

you won't get syllabi until the weekend before classes or orientation at the earliest. what is that you're looking for specifically? maybe its something as a past COBer we can help answer or guide you in the right direction.

Im currently in COB and don't mind answering any questions you guys may have!

Congrats to those accepted! and good luck to those applying!
Hey I'm attending this fall and wondering if the school offers any part time positions? Or if there are any places students typically work part time to make money on the side. Thanks!

Hey I'm attending this fall and wondering if the school offers any part time positions? Or if there are any places students typically work part time to make money on the side. Thanks!

There's one. the person who assists with technology in the back of the classroom. You of course have to there before class, and have to be at every single class. Honestly there's no way to say whether the position will even be open in the fall. But all the coffee shops and bookstore employee are not students.

You truthfully won't have time for a PT job. If you're getting financial aid, just budget well. None of my class worked and Admission has always said only a couple people have ever worked during the COB program and they were nurses who worked two 12 hour shifts on Saturday and sunday and they wouldn't recommend that on anyone else.

Im sure you have your own reasons for doing the program, but you most definitely want to do you best. 20 hours a week is cutting into way too much of your time. I promise you'll study full time. Especially if you treat COB like a FT job. Class at 8 study until 6ish? or later. lol you'll be tired, and want to use your extra time to actually relax, workout, go see a movie, or go out with friends.

I stressed about the whole job for extra money too, especially as a person who's had a job since I was 16. So I feel where you're coming from, but not having a job is so worth it for 10-11 months.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the class schedules are up yet? I know they said to expect it to be up the week after accept day, but I haven’t seen it yet. Thanks!

Does anyone know if the class schedules are up yet? I know they said to expect it to be up the week after accept day, but I haven’t seen it yet. Thanks!
If you log into power campus. Click on schedule and you can see your personal schedule.

powercampus (dot) kcumb (dot) edu

Sorry, couldn't post links yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else find the immunization process a bit difficult? This form has my doctor stumped and I found out I might have to retake titers as my doctor does not provide quantitative results. I've been spinning my wheels with this since mid June.

Did anyone else find the immunization process a bit difficult? This form has my doctor stumped and I found out I might have to retake titers as my doctor does not provide quantitative results. I've been spinning my wheels with this since mid June.
Very difficult. I had to go to the county health department for the titers because my doctor didn’t do them. Then I needed a new meningitis shot, but the health department wouldn’t do it because they didn’t think I needed it, even though KC said I did, so I had to go to CVS to get that shot. Every step of the way was a hassle but I got it done. Those titers and stuff were due July 1st though unless you got an extension?

Very difficult. I had to go to the county health department for the titers because my doctor didn’t do them. Then I needed a new meningitis shot, but the health department wouldn’t do it because they didn’t think I needed it, even though KC said I did, so I had to go to CVS to get that shot. Every step of the way was a hassle but I got it done. Those titers and stuff were due July 1st though unless you got an extension?

Yep, I'm late. They granted me an extension til July 13th. Going in tomorrow to have the titers redone somewhere else.

The process was a little crazy, but you can send in the form that the doctor gives you showing you had the shot or the form from the titer test with quantitative results. It does not have to be the form that KCU provides.

It was a pain for me as well. I had to have the doc contact the lab himself and get the blood sent off for quantitative results. After I was all finished, I saw within the small print that you can get qualitative results if you get the lab to give the quantitative values they consider positive and negative for each test. Super annoyingly difficult process.

Even when I did it last year it was annoying. my doc tried to tell me they didn't give quantitative results. and I literally had to explain to his nurse that a quantitative number was used to determine whether or not I was immune and that without the number they couldn't provide me results, so they can and do have quantitative results. Nurse said "uhhhhh i'll give you a call back one second." nonetheless I redid the tithers on their dime bc the form was very specific and they agreed to do them in the first place.

Glad to know this wasn't just me. I'm just waiting on my quantitative titers and I should be clear of this.

png08, having completed COB, what are your thoughts on this program? Expectations pretty reasonable?

Can any former/current COB student advise on textbooks? There is NOTHING I dislike more than paying $100+ for a textbook that is used more as a paper weight. Are there certain books more necessary than others? Does the library have copies of the book to loan out? Any help/advice is appreciated/ @png08 @DrMrsP @blm24 @I'd Rather Be Camping

Can any former/current COB student advise on textbooks? There is NOTHING I dislike more than paying $100+ for a textbook that is used more as a paper weight. Are there certain books more necessary than others? Does the library have copies of the book to loan out? Any help/advice is appreciated/ @png08 @DrMrsP @blm24 @I'd Rather Be Camping
So, I actually read this tip on a blog from a former COB student. Go to the KCU website, search for library and go to the library page, click on the link under required textbooks for COB Fall 2018. There are two links in blue which are links to the full textbooks online. That’ll at least save you some money for 2/4 of the required books. Hope this helps!

Anyone else waitlisted but hasn't heard back yet??

I just got confirmation that my app is under review. Can any current students message me? I have some questions

I just got confirmation that my app is under review. Can any current students message me? I have some questions
Did you ever have any of us answer you? I’m a current student and would love to help out.

Did you ever have any of us answer you? I’m a current student and would love to help out.

Hey I’m most likely entering this program for next year’s class (didn’t see a more recent SDN thread) and maybe you could answer some questions I had. If I’m planning on doing the one year track, am I basically forced to do a gap year after that year before medical school? Since I’d have to wait for my grades to be on the transcripts for it to benefit my application?

Hey I’m most likely entering this program for next year’s class (didn’t see a more recent SDN thread) and maybe you could answer some questions I had. If I’m planning on doing the one year track, am I basically forced to do a gap year after that year before medical school? Since I’d have to wait for my grades to be on the transcripts for it to benefit my application?
So, it depends on what your stats are before you enter the program. If you get at least a 3.5 GPA and 501 MCAT, then you are guaranteed an interview at KCUMB- you will apply there in fall while in the program and any other schools you wish. I applied to med school at KCUMB only this year because my GPA before entering the program was low. If I don’t get in, I will apply this summer and will take a gap year. So, in short, you aren’t forced to take a gap year, but you can if you feel it is necessary or you need a whole year of grades to boost a previously low GPA.

hi! how long did it take to receive notice that your app was completed? I submitted today and was thinking of calling them next week? I hope I don't annoy admissions lol thanks for all the awesome advice!
Mine took almost a month to be marked complete. If you don’t hear back that it is complete within a couple weeks, I would call or email. As for your stats, I wouldn’t worry. MANY students in the program with me have lower stats than you. I had a sGPA of 2.8 and cGPA of 3.0, so you are sitting pretty well.

Hello,
Anyone know the statistic of gaining acceptance to the COM for this year?

Hello,
Anyone know the statistic of gaining acceptance to the COM for this year?
For this year, we don’t know yet. Our interviews are set for March 2nd, so I’m guessing we won’t know until April. However, quite a few people have already received acceptances from other schools. That being said, I have heard the policy is to accept 30-40% of our class every year. Don’t take my word on that, but it seems pretty consistent with other years. That seems low, but they don’t interview all of us.

For this year, we don’t know yet. Our interviews are set for March 2nd, so I’m guessing we won’t know until April. However, quite a few people have already received acceptances from other schools. That being said, I have heard the policy is to accept 30-40% of our class every year. Don’t take my word on that, but it seems pretty consistent with other years. That seems low, but they don’t interview all of us.

When you said they don't interview everyone, does that mean only a small percentage of the class reached the 3.5 and 501 MCAT required to obtain an interview? Also, how they grading the class? is it against each other or they have the basic grading scale?

When you said they don't interview everyone, does that mean only a small percentage of the class reached the 3.5 and 501 MCAT required to obtain an interview? Also, how they grading the class? is it against each other or they have the basic grading scale?
Our class GPA for last semester was 3.63. They aren’t done offering interviews yet because the new MCAT scores just came in for a lot of students, but I think they interview around half (previous year stats). That being said, if the whole class gets 3.5 and 501 first semester, they will interview everyone. Our grading scale is typical and not based on each other.
A 90-100
B 80-89
C 70-79
F 69 and below

Our class GPA for last semester was 3.63. They aren’t done offering interviews yet because the new MCAT scores just came in for a lot of students, but I think they interview around half (previous year stats). That being said, if the whole class gets 3.5 and 501 first semester, they will interview everyone. Our grading scale is typical and not based on each other.
A 90-100
B 80-89
C 70-79
F 69 and below

Great to know, thank you!

Hey, I’m currently in COB. I applied in November 2017 (I think) and found out I was accepted in December. My AACOMAS GPA is 3.58s and 3.59c and my MCAT is low at a 495. I retook in August and unfortunately got the same low score. I managed to pull out a 4.0 in fall semester so i have been granted an interview next month (march). If you achieve a 3.5 GPA first semester and a 501 MCAT (unless something changes next year) you’ll get a garunteed interview!

Our class average GPA first semester was a 3.45 and the average MCAT is a 499, however several classmates retook last weekend, so that will probably change.

Hope this helps!

Hey. I was wondering about this 501 MCAT. Does high GPA in masters compensate for a low MCAT score? And based on the avg. it seems many people didnt meet 501.

Hey. I was wondering about this 501 MCAT. Does high GPA in masters compensate for a low MCAT score? And based on the avg. it seems many people didnt meet 501.

So for me, the high GPA in my Master's at COB did not get me a seat in COM. I earned a 4.0 first semester as stated and second semester was a little more challenging for me personally, so I ended with a 3.8 cumulative GPA. That got me on the waitlist and eventually not called off for a seat in the medical school. Now I've retaken the MCAT at I have a 509, so I'm hoping my chances will improve. I do think COB helped me score higher on the MCAT. If you're MCAT isn't as low as mine, a good GPA might compensate. Also, there were many people in my class that had lower MCATs (as you referred to the average) but I think many of them retook in January and they did not recalculate the averages, if that makes sense.

So for me, the high GPA in my Master's at COB did not get me a seat in COM. I earned a 4.0 first semester as stated and second semester was a little more challenging for me personally, so I ended with a 3.8 cumulative GPA. That got me on the waitlist and eventually not called off for a seat in the medical school. Now I've retaken the MCAT at I have a 509, so I'm hoping my chances will improve. I do think COB helped me score higher on the MCAT. If you're MCAT isn't as low as mine, a good GPA might compensate. Also, there were many people in my class that had lower MCATs (as you referred to the average) but I think many of them retook in January and they did not recalculate the averages, if that makes sense.

Thanks for responding. What you said does make sense. It sucks you didnt get a spot in COM. But, congratulations on your high MCAT!!! I hope it opens up more opportunities for you and you get a spot somewhere.

Thanks for responding. What you said does make sense. It sucks you didnt get a spot in COM. But, congratulations on your high MCAT!!! I hope it opens up more opportunities for you and you get a spot somewhere.

Thanks! It's all good. COB was a good experience and I learned a lot. It was worth it in the end. I hope you get in!

anyone have any stats? i have a low gpa and not sure if its worth applying.

hey guys i got into COB(2 yr) and also midwesterns 2 year program. any advice?

Has anyone heard back yet??
What ended up happening? Did they ever let you know if you were in or not? Curious because I am in the same boat and moved to Kansas a week ago in the case that I would be accepted.

Hey everyone!

Hey could you dm me?