KCUMB Discussion Thread 2010-2011

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Because the incompetent critics rated it so poorly I feel like I need to do my part and advocate for everyone to go out and watch The Rite if you haven't already.

It's an AMAZING movie, and especially more so if you like scary movies. Anthony Hopkins is brilliant and the direction is great. Not to mention it's very scary and balanced, unlike Paranormal Activity with random jumpy scenes that everyone expects.

One of my new favorite scary movies of all time, a must-see. One of those you just have to completely ignore the critics for and just see for yourself.


I think that movie looks pretty good, so I might have to check it out. I think tonight is definitely a movie night... now I just need to convince the gf.
 
Accepted today!! Interviewed 1/12. Finally, I can relax! :highfive:

I think somebody could make a good hunk of cash by documenting the amount of stress of anxiety a person feels from just applying...
 
Because the incompetent critics rated it so poorly I feel like I need to do my part and advocate for everyone to go out and watch The Rite if you haven't already.

It's an AMAZING movie, and especially more so if you like scary movies. Anthony Hopkins is brilliant and the direction is great. Not to mention it's very scary and balanced, unlike Paranormal Activity with random jumpy scenes that everyone expects.

One of my new favorite scary movies of all time, a must-see. One of those you just have to completely ignore the critics for and just see for yourself.

Thanks for the review. I've been eyeballing this movie for a while. It's about that time of the year again to get this **** scared out of me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted today!! Interviewed 1/12. Finally, I can relax! :highfive:

I think somebody could make a good hunk of cash by documenting the amount of stress of anxiety a person feels from just applying...


So true. I had the hardest time even filling out my applications and writing my essays because of anxiety. Every time I started writing, I'd get upset and stop. The process was definitely slow baby steps for me.

But I'll NEVER forget the day I was accepted into my first school. That was a beautiful feeling: to know your reason for living is confirmed.

Congratulations! Can't wait to meet you and everyone else in KC!
 
Got my acceptance to KCUMB yesterday! I already have an acceptance to LECOM-B so now I have to make the hard decision of choosing one. I know most people here will be biased towards KCUMB (and that is understandable), but what places did you guys turn down in taking KCUMB's offer?
 
Congrats to everyone who received acceptances to KCUMB!!! My interview is on 2/1... anyone else interviewing on Tuesday? It seems like mostly everyone has interviewed by now...

I am. I'm freaking out about the possibility of cancelling due to the weather 🙁 I guess they are going to decide whether or not to cancel by 9AM tomorrow (Monday) morning.
 
I am. I'm freaking out about the possibility of cancelling due to the weather 🙁 I guess they are going to decide whether or not to cancel by 9AM tomorrow (Monday) morning.


I know me too!! I hope that we don't have to reschedule..I'll have to cancel my flight..and I am not to sure if I will get a refund or if they will even let me change my flight to another day. :scared: Plus, its nearly impossible for me to get off work. AH!
 
I am. I'm freaking out about the possibility of cancelling due to the weather 🙁 I guess they are going to decide whether or not to cancel by 9AM tomorrow (Monday) morning.

I know me too!! I hope that we don't have to reschedule..I'll have to cancel my flight..and I am not to sure if I will get a refund or if they will even let me change my flight to another day. :scared: Plus, its nearly impossible for me to get off work. AH!


Good luck guys. I hope they don't have to reschedule the interview.
 
I am not an MBA candidate and I know very little about MBA programs. However, that said, my understanding is that the dual DO/MBA program that KCUMB/Rockhurst offers is NOT a general MBA program. It is, in fact, an MBA in Healthcare Leadership. That is their specific focus. And that's how it is marketed.

I have also heard what you said here, which is that the reputation of the degree might play a role, but I wonder if that is more with respect to the general MBA, rather than the type we are discussing. It is my imagination that if you are a business man, not a DO/MD as well, then your MBA's reputation is going to play a more important role. However, this is just my speculation here. The main thing, I imagine, is that the specific MBA prepares you for the business aspects of health care, which specifically augments, or adds to, your DO degree (my perception). You have to consider what your focus is going to be, how you are going to be using your MBA. Then, I think, the weight of the reputation of your MBA is going to play a differential role based on that goal. This is, again, just my common sense speculation.

Someone with direct experience with the business world can better answer your question, if one is willing to post a response to your question.

Spicedmanna, I have a general curriculum question as I am currently debating between KCUMB and DMU. Since prospective students hear everything that is awesome about the curriculum, what do you feel are the drawback to it? Do you feel you were prepared enough for pharm? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME! Ok enough with the narcissistic behavior. Hope the weather turns out ok for you 2/1 people! They're predicting an inch + of ice and 5 inches of snow on top of it here in Indiana.
 
ugh! sorry to hear that. Any idea on a reschedule date?


Me too! I'm bummed.. I was really excited for this interview. I'm hoping for sometime next week, but there is another storm that may hit on Monday. I'll probably reschedule my interview and rebook my flight sometime tonight (hopefully for next week).
 
ugh! sorry to hear that. Any idea on a reschedule date?

I rescheduled mine for Thursday. The weather may still be bad, but I live close and will stay with family in KC so I don't have to worry about flights or hotel arrangements in case they cancel again on Thursday. I'll just reschedule again.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for me the whether was so bad that they had to shorten the interview time...the whole touring and interview took only 3 hours (9-12)...that was a bummer cuz we didn't have the time to check everything out...no talk..no century towers...no financial aid talk...
 
for me the whether was so bad that they had to shorten the interview time...the whole touring and interview took only 3 hours (9-12)...that was a bummer cuz we didn't have the time to check everything out...no talk..no century towers...no financial aid talk...


I don't even know why schools do the financial aid talk. It's really pointless and they just waste 30 minutes of time you could have been checking out the campus, asking questions, or sleeping...

The Century Towers tour was kind of pointless as well. If you've ever seen an apartment, the CT doesn't look any different. You should count yourself lucky. 😉

Although, I must say, I do enjoy hearing the faculty/deans talk about their school/history, etc.. I find that one of the most interesting/useful parts of the day, especially if it pre-interview.
 
I don't even know why schools do the financial aid talk. It's really pointless and they just waste 30 minutes of time you could have been checking out the campus, asking questions, or sleeping...

The Century Towers tour was kind of pointless as well. If you've ever seen an apartment, the CT doesn't look any different. You should count yourself lucky. 😉

Although, I must say, I do enjoy hearing the faculty/deans talk about their school/history, etc.. I find that one of the most interesting/useful parts of the day, especially if it pre-interview.


I agree with MightyMoose, you really didn't miss too much. Are you interested in living at CT? If so did you get their little info brochure? If not, I'll be happy to scan mine and send it to you. Just PM me.
 
haha yeah I agree...it's a bummer in a sense that you drove and flew all the way to KC (for me 3 hours drive and 3 hors flight) and then you dont get to do everything...but it's good since they might be pointless...

All I got was a booklet with housing all over KC including century towers (no price included though) just some pictures of CT and phone numbers to call.

booklet is called "apartments for rent"

is that what you have???
 
haha yeah I agree...it's a bummer in a sense that you drove and flew all the way to KC (for me 3 hours drive and 3 hors flight) and then you dont get to do everything...but it's good since they might be pointless...

All I got was a booklet with housing all over KC including century towers (no price included though) just some pictures of CT and phone numbers to call.

booklet is called "apartments for rent"

is that what you have???

No, there is another one that has room layouts and prices.

Here is the info with the appropriate links for floorplans.

They all include ALL utilities:

The Metro:
$605 Inside facing
$625 East
$660 West
http://www.centurytowerskc.com/The_Metro_Apartment.html

The Centro:
$815 East
$850 West
http://www.centurytowerskc.com/The_Centro_Apartment.html

The Lusso:
$990 East
$1020 West
http://www.centurytowerskc.com/The_Lusso_Apartment.html
 
No, there is another one that has room layouts and prices.

Here is the info with the appropriate links for floorplans.

They all include ALL utilities:

The Metro:
$605 Inside facing
$625 East
$660 West
http://www.centurytowerskc.com/The_Metro_Apartment.html

The Centro:
$815 East
$850 West
http://www.centurytowerskc.com/The_Centro_Apartment.html

The Lusso:
$990 East
$1020 West
http://www.centurytowerskc.com/The_Lusso_Apartment.html

Doesn't include cable, internet, or phone. However, they do have limited WiFi in the building but apparently it is spotty. Cable is in the lounge area as well. The lady did tell me that some people that live adjacent to each other have gotten together to purchase and share internet (WiFi).
 
Doesn't include cable, internet, or phone. However, they do have limited WiFi in the building but apparently it is spotty. Cable is in the lounge area as well. The lady did tell me that some people that live adjacent to each other have gotten together to purchase and share internet (WiFi).


That's a good point. Usually, I only assume heat/AC, water, sewer, and trash are included as 'utilities', but that's probably just a habit from the area of the country I live in and how apartments are marketed.
 
How soon after your interviews did you guys call to find out about the decision? i can't wait for snail mail!
 
No, there is another one that has room layouts and prices.

Here is the info with the appropriate links for floorplans.

They all include ALL utilities:

The Metro:
$605 Inside facing
$625 East
$660 West
http://www.centurytowerskc.com/The_Metro_Apartment.html

The Centro:
$815 East
$850 West
http://www.centurytowerskc.com/The_Centro_Apartment.html

The Lusso:
$990 East
$1020 West
http://www.centurytowerskc.com/The_Lusso_Apartment.html

thanks for the info...

I gotta check em out and see which one is better for me....for now I can say the cheapest is best 😎
 
Last edited:
How soon after your interviews did you guys call to find out about the decision? i can't wait for snail mail!

when did you interview??

I interviewd on Jan19th and they told me I should receive the mail by feb 4th or earlier.

This is me at the moment :scared:
 
when did you interview??

I interviewd on Jan19th and they told me I should receive the mail by feb 4th or earlier.

This is me at the moment :scared:

x2!

I interviewed on Jan 25. Patricia told our group Feb 4, but my interviewers said Feb 20!

tom10 said:
Unfortunately, you're going to have to. They don't tell you over the phone anymore.

Damn, i'm gonna try tomorrow anyways. I gotta leave town for a funeral so i won't be by my mailbox on Feb 4. Maybe they'll make an exception...
 
Spicedmanna, I have a general curriculum question as I am currently debating between KCUMB and DMU. Since prospective students hear everything that is awesome about the curriculum, what do you feel are the drawback to it? Do you feel you were prepared enough for pharm? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

That's an excellent question. I'm not sure I can answer it knowledgeably, since I have little to no ability to compare KCUMB's curriculum that of other schools. Also, I am not sure how many of my challenges were my own and not indicative of my education. It is of additional note that I took those classes two or more years ago and things might have changed since then.

I will say that I was underwhelmed with my knowledge of biochemistry, pathophysiology of...well everything, and certain aspects of physiology, for example, renal, cardiopulmonary phys, and reproductive, in particular. I say that because I felt that I had to really study that material in depth for the boards, not just review it. There were basic deficiencies in my knowledge in these areas. However, I was able to make up for them and do well on boards. Keep in mind that I did little to supplement my classwork while I was in those classes. Others in my class might disagree, but that's how I found it. Thank goodness for Goljan's material; his material taught me pathophysiology and tied everything together neatly for the boards, something I found hard to do with the piecemeal systems approach of the curriculum. (Also, please see addendum about immunology.)

Furthermore, I was underwhelmed by the OMT instruction and how it was presented. It was certainly adequate for the boards and all, especially when boosted by Saverese's book, but I left feeling like I didn't pick up that much. Of course, I didn't really put in extra time to learn it, either. Thankfully, I did an elective rotation in OMT at my hospital and that's where I really learned how to do the stuff. Maybe that's how it is with OMT. I don't know. But I felt that it could have been presented better.

I felt particularly strong with pharm and micro, going into boards, part I. I didn't study those much. I just reviewed that information, for the most part, although, I found the Kaplan pharm review to be very excellent. We did not get that much into the fundamentals of pharmacology as much as I would have liked. Thank goodness for Kaplan pharm, which helped fill in those conceptual blanks. It's the way I learn. I like to know the concepts first, before delving into the specifics. My mind works that way. I need a space to put facts into, or they get lost in space.

Neuro was more than adequate. I think, actually, the neuro section was overkill for the boards. No complaints there. I kind of wished there was more instruction on peripheral nerves, plexi, etc, and associated pathologies, however. I felt underprepared for that aspect on boards. However, this might have been my own fault for not spending more time on that myself.

Anatomy was well choreographed. I tutored anatomy, which probably also helped me be well-prepared for that aspect.

I will also say that I was well-prepared for rotations for the most part, at least from a basic science what-you-can-learn-in-a-classroom perspective. Received many complements on my basic science knowledge and I'm sure a lot of that is from what I learned in the first two years. So, despite whatever challenges I had, it all worked out well. I'm sure every school has different challenges and offers different strengths and weakness. It's all about the work YOU do on your own. I mean, you learn a lot during rotations and the basic science stuff really starts to make sense when you see it in patients. That's where the big learning happens. Don't get me wrong, the first two years do matter, but at the end, it's more about just getting familiar with the "language" of medicine. My opinion.

Oh, yeah, of note, I felt really strong with pathology in terms of structural and morphological analysis, if that's what you call it. That is to say, I am aware that I was trained well in that area, when confronted with the need to do that in clinical work. Also, on clinical aspects of pathology. On the onset, I had deficiencies in telling you why something is, but I can sure could identify the specific pathological elements! That's a strength that the curriculum offer.

These are just my slightly-informed opinions. Take them for what they are worth.

Did I answer your question?

Addendum: I forgot to mention that I felt most ill-prepared, knowledge-wise, with immunology. That is to say, this was something I had to learn on my own for boards. I knew a lot of esoteric facts, but pretty much none of the necessary basics. I highly recommend picking up an easy-to-understand basic immunology text to aid your learning.
 
Last edited:
That's an excellent question. I'm not sure I can answer it knowledgeably, since I have little to no ability to compare KCUMB's curriculum that of other schools. Also, I am not sure how many of my challenges were my own and not indicative of my education. It is of additional note that I took those classes two or more years ago and things might have changed since then.

I will say that I was underwhelmed with my knowledge of biochemistry, pathophysiology of...well everything, and certain aspects of physiology, for example, renal, cardiopulmonary phys, and reproductive, in particular. I say that because I felt that I had to really study that material in depth for the boards, not just review it. There were basic deficiencies in my knowledge in these areas. However, I was able to make up for them and do well on boards. Keep in mind that I did little to supplement my classwork while I was in those classes. Others in my class might disagree, but that's how I found it. Thank goodness for Goljan's material; his material taught me pathophysiology and tied everything together neatly for the boards, something I found hard to do with the piecemeal systems approach of the curriculum. (Also, please see addendum about immunology.)

Furthermore, I was underwhelmed by the OMT instruction and how it was presented. It was certainly adequate for the boards and all, especially when boosted by Saverese's book, but I left feeling like I didn't pick up that much. Of course, I didn't really put in extra time to learn it, either. Thankfully, I did an elective rotation in OMT at my hospital and that's where I really learned how to do the stuff. Maybe that's how it is with OMT. I don't know. But I felt that it could have been presented better.

I felt particularly strong with pharm and micro, going into boards, part I. I didn't study those much. I just reviewed that information, for the most part, although, I found the Kaplan pharm review to be very excellent. We did not get that much into the fundamentals of pharmacology as much as I would have liked. Thank goodness for Kaplan pharm, which helped fill in those conceptual blanks. It's the way I learn. I like to know the concepts first, before delving into the specifics. My mind works that way. I need a space to put facts into, or they get lost in space.

Neuro was more than adequate. I think, actually, the neuro section was overkill for the boards. No complaints there. I kind of wished there was more instruction on peripheral nerves, plexi, etc, and associated pathologies, however. I felt underprepared for that aspect on boards. However, this might have been my own fault for not spending more time on that myself.

Anatomy was well choreographed. I tutored anatomy, which probably also helped me be well-prepared for that aspect.

I will also say that I was well-prepared for rotations for the most part, at least from a basic science what-you-can-learn-in-a-classroom perspective. Received many complements on my basic science knowledge and I'm sure a lot of that is from what I learned in the first two years. So, despite whatever challenges I had, it all worked out well. I'm sure every school has different challenges and offers different strengths and weakness. It's all about the work YOU do on your own. I mean, you learn a lot during rotations and the basic science stuff really starts to make sense when you see it in patients. That's where the big learning happens. Don't get me wrong, the first two years do matter, but at the end, it's more about just getting familiar with the "language" of medicine. My opinion.

Oh, yeah, of note, I felt really strong with pathology in terms of structural and morphological analysis, if that's what you call it. That is to say, I am aware that I was trained well in that area, when confronted with the need to do that in clinical work. Also, on clinical aspects of pathology. On the onset, I had deficiencies in telling you why something is, but I can sure could identify the specific pathological elements! That's a strength that the curriculum offer.

These are just my slightly-informed opinions. Take them for what they are worth.

Did I answer your question?

Addendum: I forgot to mention that I felt most ill-prepared, knowledge-wise, with immunology. That is to say, this was something I had to learn on my own for boards. I knew a lot of esoteric facts, but pretty much none of the necessary basics. I highly recommend picking up an easy-to-understand basic immunology text to aid your learning.

Thank you Spicedmanna!! This gives me a lot more to chew on.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks...So it seems that the systems based curriculum does a good job a teaching the fundementals, but lacks in the details needed for the boards so that, in turn, equates to needing more board prep. I am dissapointed though about biochem, but that seems to happen a lot at osteopathic schools ... they seem to breeze through it when it is so important for boards, especially is someone decides to take the USMLE. i know they need to make time for OMM, but still... I am a fan of systems based, but these draw backs are making me think twice
 
Thanks...So it seems that the systems based curriculum does a good job a teaching the fundementals, but lacks in the details needed for the boards so that, in turn, equates to needing more board prep. I am dissapointed though about biochem, but that seems to happen a lot at osteopathic schools ... they seem to breeze through it when it is so important for boards, especially is someone decides to take the USMLE. i know they need to make time for OMM, but still... I am a fan of systems based, but these draw backs are making me think twice

You can make time for it on your own. There isn't a lot we learn that is going to be so advanced we can't grasp it without a professor, so just get a USMLE prep book (its likely you were going to anyway) and learn the biochem stuff we aren't taught/don't spend much time on.

I see what you're saying, but what I guess what I'm trying to say is don't rely on your professors to prepare you for the boards. I'm sure the biochem professor would help you out if you had questions regarding the biochem that is covered on the USMLE. KCUMB has a large number of grads go into specialties which usually correlates to a higher board score. If so many grads can do it, you can too.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm trying to get you to come to KCUMB, but I just wanted you to know that your particular issue doesn't mean you can't get the residency you want.
 
Thanks...So it seems that the systems based curriculum does a good job a teaching the fundementals, but lacks in the details needed for the boards so that, in turn, equates to needing more board prep. I am dissapointed though about biochem, but that seems to happen a lot at osteopathic schools ... they seem to breeze through it when it is so important for boards, especially is someone decides to take the USMLE. i know they need to make time for OMM, but still... I am a fan of systems based, but these draw backs are making me think twice


Just an fyi:

Biochem is low yeild on the boards.
Path and physio are very high yeild. Both seem to be strengths of kcumb curriculum.

Also, spicedmanna went through a slightly different curriculum than we will.

Keep those things in mind when you evaluate a program.
 
Just an fyi:

Biochem is low yeild on the boards.
Path and physio are very high yeild. Both seem to be strengths of kcumb curriculum.

Also, spicedmanna went through a slightly different curriculum than we will.

Keep those things in mind when you evaluate a program.

hopefully my biochem major will come handy. maybe? :meanie:
 
New best friend. Thanks!

hahaha...yeah I could be lots of people's best friend. Ive also taken 8 credits of Hardcore Immunology (I added hardcore lol). maybe BFF?

don't get your hopes up thou cuz I havent received my acceptance yet. :laugh:
 
Forums are getting boring. What ever happened to our stupid posts about nothing? Is everyone stuck in snowmageddon? I think the party moved to FB.
 
Been busy with Music for the Listener. Who would have thought this class actually requires effort?! I definitely didn't sign up for this.

As for snowmageddon, I haven't been able to get out of my parking spot for 2 days because of the ice. I fell three times just getting out to my car which there is 15 feet of just ice leading up to my car. I was contemplating putting on my ice skates to get out there and wish I did now. I've got a nasty hipper.
 
anyone know when exactly the new student activities center will be completed? i am very spoiled at my university here in texas and am really looking forward to the new facility at KCUMB..hopefully it's a nice, big gym and activities center..
 
How is the process coming along for you? I'm waiting on my medical paperwork to go through so I can go to MEPS. How is the process coming along for you? And good luck as well!

I'm still filling out all the paperwork - Scroll, waivers, resume, references... Hopefully I will get everything sent out by next week. Has your paperwork been approved for MEPS?
 
hey all

just to let you know I got rejected today...so no more KCUMB for me...bummer..wasnt expecting it at all

anyhow good luck to all of you and enjoy med school 👍
 
hey all

just to let you know I got rejected today...so no more KCUMB for me...bummer..wasnt expecting it at all

anyhow good luck to all of you and enjoy med school 👍


if you don't mind me asking what was your application like? gpa mcat etc?
 
if you don't mind me asking what was your application like? gpa mcat etc?

3.8 + 26M

lots and lots of extracur...over 1000 hours of various things (hospital,pharmacy...research...) and I thought the interview went really well...I don't know why though
 
hey all

just to let you know I got rejected today...so no more KCUMB for me...bummer..wasnt expecting it at all

anyhow good luck to all of you and enjoy med school 👍


I'm sorry to hear about that, man. It sounded like you were pretty interested in KCUMB. Sometimes the application process can be so random.

Good luck at whatever school you decide to attend. 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got ripped a new one by Dr. Dougherty in my interview. I graduated college in 2002 with only a 3.0 GPA. He didn't even ask any questions about me, just told me that my grades indicate that he would be doing a "disservice" by giving a chair to me instead of someone more deserving and that I would just incur a whole bunch of debt and flunk out.

I feel like they just wasted my time. If I didn't even have a shot because of my grades, why did I even get an interview? That was seriously all we talked about. The interview lasted like maybe 15 minutes at the most.
 
Last edited:
hey all

just to let you know I got rejected today...so no more KCUMB for me...bummer..wasnt expecting it at all

anyhow good luck to all of you and enjoy med school 👍

**** no way. That blows. I was really pulling for you man. Like moose said best of luck the rest of the way, I hope you get somewhere you're happy.

I just got ripped a new one by Dr. Dougherty in my interview. I graduated college in 2002 with only a 3.0 GPA. He didn't even ask any questions about me, just told me that my grades indicate that he would be doing a "disservice" by giving a chair to me instead of someone more deserving and that I would just incur a whole bunch of debt and flunk out.

I feel like they just wasted my time. If I didn't even have a shot because of my grades, why did I even get an interview? That was seriously all we talked about. The interview lasted like maybe 15 minutes at the most.

I wouldn't sweat it until you hear back. There are tons of different interview styles different people use. For all you know he just wanted to check your ability to face criticism/adversity.
 
I wouldn't sweat it until you hear back. There are tons of different interview styles different people use. For all you know he just wanted to check your ability to face criticism/adversity.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I'd be pissed too. However, like Thunder said, it may just be a test to see how you can explain yourself/maintain composure/handle adversity. I know what you're feeling though, that is the same thing I got during my University committee interview. I walked away wishing they would have just double fisted me in the face instead.
 
**** no way. That blows. I was really pulling for you man. Like moose said best of luck the rest of the way, I hope you get somewhere you're happy.



I wouldn't sweat it until you hear back. There are tons of different interview styles different people use. For all you know he just wanted to check your ability to face criticism/adversity.

Man that would be great. I've thought of that, and I talked to the student ambassadors afterwards and they said said the same thing. I kinda feel that if that was true, though, then they would have moved on to other questions. But it was that, and then: well, you'll get a letter within 2 weeks and if not etc etc etc.

I took all my prereqs in the last year and aced every one of them, but as he specifically said "my 17 year old could ace those classes". I guess if I don't get in, I'll try what he suggested: taking some 500 level courses and ace them too. I still have to take genetics anyway, and K-State offers a 500 level genetics course online, so maybe that will help my re-app next year.