KCUMB Discussion Thread 2010-2011

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got ripped a new one by Dr. Dougherty in my interview. I graduated college in 2002 with only a 3.0 GPA. He didn't even ask any questions about me, just told me that my grades indicate that he would be doing a "disservice" by giving a chair to me instead of someone more deserving and that I would just incur a whole bunch of debt and flunk out.

I feel like they just wasted my time. If I didn't even have a shot because of my grades, why did I even get an interview? That was seriously all we talked about. The interview lasted like maybe 15 minutes at the most.


Sorry you just got unlucky, Dr. Dougherty is just a mean and bitter old man. He is a horrible teacher and his questions are tests are absurdly way to hard. Sorry about that experience.

Don't get down though, during my interview I was tore to pieces because of mcat and they told me the same thing on how I didn't deserve to be here, and how I should do a masters. So I was put on the wait list. One month later I got an acceptance...Keep your chin up!
 
yes sir. i stayed at the holiday inn...i was the brown dude from arizona :laugh: I wonder if we talked that day

I was the white dude which really doesn't eliminate too many people. However, I believe I was the only one from Utah and only Music Major. I think we might have chatted for a couple of minutes somewhere in that long day.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was the white dude which really doesn't eliminate too many people. However, I believe I was the only one from Utah and only Music Major. I think we might have chatted for a couple of minutes somewhere in that long day.


i remember you! you drove to KC, and were on the way to Kirsville, right? we talked about how mountains > plains...congrats on your acceptance👍
 
Drove through KC last night. Staying with a roommate from undergrad and leaving in the morning. ALMOST GO TIME! Very excited. See some of you tomorrow
 
I was the white dude which really doesn't eliminate too many people. However, I believe I was the only one from Utah and only Music Major. I think we might have chatted for a couple of minutes somewhere in that long day.


Hey there. What instrument/voice do you play/sing? I've been a "band geek" for the better part of my life. I'm hoping to get into a community band, orchestra or even a jam band in KC... if I have time that is. Have you checked the music scene yet?
 
If anyone is interested in starting up a musical project I'm game! I own a recording studio and have written music for a living for a number of years now.
 
I play the guitar, but I haven't played regularly for a number of years now... I would be up for a group of guys to play with though. I usually just play solo, but could get into the band idea.
 
Hey there. What instrument/voice do you play/sing? I've been a "band geek" for the better part of my life. I'm hoping to get into a community band, orchestra or even a jam band in KC... if I have time that is. Have you checked the music scene yet?

I play the sax and the piano. My wife plays the clarinet. Both of us have dabbled and have too many other instruments to count. The music scene in KC is awesome if you like jazz (which I do); however, I don't know about any kinds other music. If time does permit, it would be fantastic to have some people to play with.

By the way, I am assuming that you are a trombonist.
 
i remember you! you drove to KC, and were on the way to Kirsville, right? we talked about how mountains > plains...congrats on your acceptance👍

I am the idiot that drove 3000 miles in six days to hit the two Missouri interviews. I do remember the conversation we had about the mountains (or the lack thereof in the midwest).
 
Back home again in Indiana safely after >1,000 miles of driving in 59 hours. Interview day was a great experience. I had never been to KC before, however a college roommate is from there so he informed me plenty.

I really enjoyed the close knit atmosphere of the school....reminded me a lot of undergrad (and the new student activities center/library). The interview itself was really laid back. No grilling questions. We shall find out in 2 weeks! Good luck to all.
 
Ok well thats a start. I already incorporate most of these instruments into my music. Its like Baroque pop/indie pop type stuff. Lots of orchestration and synth and backed with drums guitar and bass. Lets make some noise! I'd love to make some music with my fellow classmates. Songs about pathology. . .
 
Over the last two years.....
About 18 rejections and 1 acceptance!(interviewed 2/9). This is the best feeling ever!

KCUMB Class 2015
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wonder if any of the current med student lurkers on this forum might be able to upload some photos of the new library and fitness center for us? There aren't any recent progress pics of the buildings.

Thanks!
 
Did you get a call or mail that let you know of your acceptance? I interviewed the 9th as well.

I interviewed then too and I haven't received anything either. I'm from out of state so I'm assuming i'll get a letter with my decision sometime soon. DGN are you is or oos?
 
Thanks Moose, I am one un-savvy fella. :zip:
PS. WTF is up with that emoticon?

Well, I expected nothing less from you. :meanie:


I think that character is doing the "Smack that ass" move and getting a little too carried away. :shrug:

I wonder if any of the current med student lurkers on this forum might be able to upload some photos of the new library and fitness center for us? There aren't any recent progress pics of the buildings.

Thanks!

I agree. That would be sweet!

+1

I'd love you long time, seriously.

+2, but I'll let Mega "love you long time." haha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed on Feb. 3 and received my letter of acceptance about a week later. It said I'd be receiving a packet with more information in a few days but have yet to see that arrive. Anyone else get the big packet yet?
 
I need major help.

I have to choose between KCUMB, WVSOM, CCOM, and Touro Nevada.

I narrowed it down to my preferences and now its between KCUMB and WVSOM. This is where i need major help cuz deposit is due in 4 days. Can anyone pm me the pros and cons of kcumb and why they chose it?

Out of the two, I am 51percent wvsom, and 49 percent kcumb.

If anyone oculd help me out, i would appreciate it.

I know that whichever fits me is the better one. well both of them fit me. and i can see myself at both places..but i dont want two DO degrees, only one. so please let me know the pros and cons from your perepsctives
 
You sure bro? We'd make a killer tag team.

Did you join the Navy program? :meanie:

I need major help.

I have to choose between KCUMB, WVSOM, CCOM, and Touro Nevada.

I narrowed it down to my preferences and now its between KCUMB and WVSOM. This is where i need major help cuz deposit is due in 4 days. Can anyone pm me the pros and cons of kcumb and why they chose it?

Out of the two, I am 51percent wvsom, and 49 percent kcumb.

If anyone oculd help me out, i would appreciate it.

I know that whichever fits me is the better one. well both of them fit me. and i can see myself at both places..but i dont want two DO degrees, only one. so please let me know the pros and cons from your perepsctives

Since you like percentages, according to the data in this spreadsheet, your percentage chance of graduating is higher at KCUMB than any other DO school... 😉

But in all seriousness, you're asking us to convince you, and the only person that should be able to sway you on this decision is yourself.
 

Attachments

I interviewed on Feb. 3 and received my letter of acceptance about a week later. It said I'd be receiving a packet with more information in a few days but have yet to see that arrive. Anyone else get the big packet yet?

interviewed 1/25, accepted 2/7. packet came today 2/17 with stuff dated from 2/14. All it contains is immunization form, a physical exam form, credit check form, health insurance form, accommodation form ,and payment form, along with a letter explaining when forms/$$ are due.
 
I play the sax and the piano. My wife plays the clarinet. Both of us have dabbled and have too many other instruments to count. The music scene in KC is awesome if you like jazz (which I do); however, I don't know about any kinds other music. If time does permit, it would be fantastic to have some people to play with.

By the way, I am assuming that you are a trombonist.


Quite true. And I would love to get a little ensemble together. 🙂
 
Well I was told they'll be done in ~2 weeks when I interviewed on Tuesday. I didn't go in, but the old library was pretty scarce so they're busy moving I'm sure. I was told a set of windows in the fitness facility overlooks downtown.
 
Ok well thats a start. I already incorporate most of these instruments into my music. Its like Baroque pop/indie pop type stuff. Lots of orchestration and synth and backed with drums guitar and bass. Lets make some noise! I'd love to make some music with my fellow classmates. Songs about pathology. . .

I'm having a hard time seeing exactly what a hybrid between the Baroque and indie music would be. What exactly is the premise of it? Anyway, it would be awesome to hang out and play some time.

Quite true. And I would love to get a little ensemble together. 🙂

That would be fantastic. What kind of music are you in to?
 
I'm having a hard time seeing exactly what a hybrid between the Baroque and indie music would be. What exactly is the premise of it? Anyway, it would be awesome to hang out and play some time.



That would be fantastic. What kind of music are you in to?

I'm stoked to learn there are so many music buffs in our class! The jazz/alt scene in KC is something I am looking forward to checking out. . . The other day I was listening to Jim Tomlinson and Stacey Kent, and thought -I can't wait for KC! I'm no collegiate-grade band musician, but if you guys need a beginner bass player, I can lend that to this rag-tag band 🙂
 
That would be fantastic. What kind of music are you in to?

I like just about everything. I'm digging folk music right now; I don't know how translatable that is to a trombone, but I suppose one can play folk/ska.

I also really like classic rock, and, of course, jazz and regular orchestral and band music.

You, and anyone else?
 
Is it bad that whenever I get anonymous messages like this, "heloo, i am tring to decided between KCUB and (insert any school), pliz tell me why you chose this school and not another", I either don't respond or tell the person the other school because I don't want to go to school with them? Man I am a jerk.
 
Is it bad that whenever I get anonymous messages like this, "heloo, i am tring to decided between KCUB and (insert any school), pliz tell me why you chose this school and not another", I either don't respond or tell the person the other school because I don't want to go to school with them? Man I am a jerk.


Dude! I totally feel you on that one. I have often wondered if it is bad to tell those people to go to their other school...
 
Dude! I totally feel you on that one. I have often wondered if it is bad to tell those people to go to their other school...

Well, and then you know they sent the same message to EVERYONE else who participated in the thread. Maybe if they would take the time to 1. Spell check 2. Grammar check 3. Come up with anything better than "tell me why...go!" questions, then I would be more than happy to help them out. I still kind of feel like an ass though 😳
 
I'm with you guys. I don't know why they feel like they need to be babied. There's tons of info out there posted by all of us about the school, just take the time and go through the search.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it bad that whenever I get anonymous messages like this, "heloo, i am tring to decided between KCUB and (insert any school), pliz tell me why you chose this school and not another", I either don't respond or tell the person the other school because I don't want to go to school with them? Man I am a jerk.


So in hopes of not starting anything here, but a nice, friendly discussion...

I think that those messages in general are not bad. Yes, there are many other forms of information out there on the internet but I'm sure Mr. Anonymous has investigated those avenues and simply wants another opinion from a live source. (of course if he/she is simply going to you, one sole person on SDN, yeah, that's pretty dumb). I don't think these people want to be babied... they just want another opinion with hopes of gaining some insight on what others have experienced and thought. Is it bad to ask others for information in place of searching on the web? I think this is something we all do. However, I don't know how efficient it would be to privately message a bunch of people for opinions...

I don't think anyone's a jerk here, but I was just trying to argue another point. And, no, I didn't send any of those random messages around... 🙂
 
So in hopes of not starting anything here, but a nice, friendly discussion...

I think that those messages in general are not bad. Yes, there are many other forms of information out there on the internet but I'm sure Mr. Anonymous has investigated those avenues and simply wants another opinion from a live source. (of course if he/she is simply going to you, one sole person on SDN, yeah, that's pretty dumb). I don't think these people want to be babied... they just want another opinion with hopes of gaining some insight on what others have experienced and thought. Is it bad to ask others for information in place of searching on the web? I think this is something we all do. However, I don't know how efficient it would be to privately message a bunch of people for opinions...

I don't think anyone's a jerk here, but I was just trying to argue another point. And, no, I didn't send any of those random messages around... 🙂

I think you are missing the point. It isn't the act, it is the method. I've helped out several people who have sent me a personal message who have taken the time to search a few things out and personalize the message around a particular topic (for example somebody noticed I was conflicted between X school and Y school, so they asked specifically about that). I have a beef with the persistent, poorly spelled, mass, generalized messages I get from people who haven't taken the time to see if I even applied to the other school or if I have even have any insight on the topic of question.
 
Last edited:
I think those people who ask those questions are right from their perspective. Choosing a medical school is not easy, and obviously no one wants to make a bad decision.

Regarding grammar and other spelling mistakes, I would like to mention that this is a forum. You are not being graded on spelling or grammar, as long as the other person comprehends the idea of the question.

I do agree with the other person above, that one needs to go through and search. However, what if they have found out every thing, but some people know more. As you may know, medicine is a collaborative field in which people learn from each other. Maybe thats why that person asked to learn from those that may know more about a certain school.

If anyone does not like my post, then please forgive me.
 
Is it bad that whenever I get anonymous messages like this, "heloo, i am tring to decided between KCUB and (insert any school), pliz tell me why you chose this school and not another", I either don't respond or tell the person the other school because I don't want to go to school with them? Man I am a jerk.


Know that I guarantee that you will be in the same situation once in your life and you may need significant help from others, but your attitude may not help you.

I am 26 years, and I have seen that life is a boomerang. Once you do good, good things happen. Once you do bad, then bad things happen to you.


Sorry if you didnt like my post, please forgive me.