KCUMB Discussion Thread 2010-2011

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Forums are getting boring. What ever happened to our stupid posts about nothing? Is everyone stuck in snowmageddon? I think the party moved to FB.

It def seems like FB's where it's at for those of us that are accepted.

I'm stuck in the sunmageddon that's going on in cali right now. I'll go ahead and contribute my stupid post about nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6_1aRhSfis&feature=related

Bye bye SF. Bring it KC.

Are you in the FB group?

Been busy with Music for the Listener. Who would have thought this class actually requires effort?! I definitely didn't sign up for this.

As for snowmageddon, I haven't been able to get out of my parking spot for 2 days because of the ice. I fell three times just getting out to my car which there is 15 feet of just ice leading up to my car. I was contemplating putting on my ice skates to get out there and wish I did now. I've got a nasty hipper.

Haha, I hate classes like that.

anyone know when exactly the new student activities center will be completed? i am very spoiled at my university here in texas and am really looking forward to the new facility at KCUMB..hopefully it's a nice, big gym and activities center..

Haha you and me both. I'm bummed as it is that we don't have a basketball court on campus, the weight room better be stacked.
 
Last edited:
I'm still filling out all the paperwork - Scroll, waivers, resume, references... Hopefully I will get everything sent out by next week. Has your paperwork been approved for MEPS?


No, not yet, but I do have the rest of the paperwork finally finished (or so I think). My profs all finished their recommendation letters last week.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, does anyone remember when the second $1000 needs to be paid?

Fees

Application Fee (KCUMB Supplemental).
$50​
Fee is payable upon submission of application for admission. (May be waived if applicant receives an AACOMAS fee waiver). Fee is non-refundable regardless of reason.
Acceptance Fee
$1,000​
Accepted applicants need to make sure payment is received according to the following schedule:

  • those accepted prior to Nov. 15 will have until Dec. 14;
  • those accepted between Nov. 15 and Jan. 14 will have 30 days;
  • those accepted between Jan. 15 and June 14 will have 14 days;
  • those accepted on or after June 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.
Payment is credited toward tuition once payment of the balance of the tuition is received. Acceptance fees should be mailed to the Admissions Office. The Acceptance fee is non-refundable regardless of reason.
Matriculation Fee
$1,000​
Payable according to the following schedule:​

  • those accepted prior to March 1 will have until March 15;
  • those accepted between March 1 and June 14 will have 14 days to submit a combined acceptance and matriculation fee totaling $2,000;
  • those accepted on or after June 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.
Payment is credited toward tuition once payment of the balance of the tuition is received. Mail Matriculation Fee to the Admissions office. Fee is non-refundable regardless of reason.​
 
Fees


Application Fee (KCUMB Supplemental).
$50​

Fee is payable upon submission of application for admission. (May be waived if applicant receives an AACOMAS fee waiver). Fee is non-refundable regardless of reason.

Acceptance Fee
$1,000​

Accepted applicants need to make sure payment is received according to the following schedule:

  • those accepted prior to Nov. 15 will have until Dec. 14;
  • those accepted between Nov. 15 and Jan. 14 will have 30 days;
  • those accepted between Jan. 15 and June 14 will have 14 days;
  • those accepted on or after June 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.
Payment is credited toward tuition once payment of the balance of the tuition is received. Acceptance fees should be mailed to the Admissions Office. The Acceptance fee is non-refundable regardless of reason.

Matriculation Fee
$1,000​


Payable according to the following schedule:​


  • those accepted prior to March 1 will have until March 15;
  • those accepted between March 1 and June 14 will have 14 days to submit a combined acceptance and matriculation fee totaling $2,000;
  • those accepted on or after June 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.
Payment is credited toward tuition once payment of the balance of the tuition is received. Mail Matriculation Fee to the Admissions office. Fee is non-refundable regardless of reason.​

Awesome, thanks
 
I just got ripped a new one by Dr. Dougherty in my interview. I graduated college in 2002 with only a 3.0 GPA. He didn't even ask any questions about me, just told me that my grades indicate that he would be doing a "disservice" by giving a chair to me instead of someone more deserving and that I would just incur a whole bunch of debt and flunk out.

I feel like they just wasted my time. If I didn't even have a shot because of my grades, why did I even get an interview? That was seriously all we talked about. The interview lasted like maybe 15 minutes at the most.


I agree with the others, man. KCUMB doesn't extend interviews if they aren't interested in you on paper. I think your interviewer just wanted you to prove to him that you can do it. I'm sure he was also trying to see how well you handled the pressure. Also, KCUMB interviews are really short (or at least they feel like they are).

Good luck!
 
I just got ripped a new one by Dr. Dougherty in my interview. I graduated college in 2002 with only a 3.0 GPA. He didn't even ask any questions about me, just told me that my grades indicate that he would be doing a "disservice" by giving a chair to me instead of someone more deserving and that I would just incur a whole bunch of debt and flunk out.

I feel like they just wasted my time. If I didn't even have a shot because of my grades, why did I even get an interview? That was seriously all we talked about. The interview lasted like maybe 15 minutes at the most.

Brazen, sorry to hear about your less-than-hospitable interview experience, but try not to worry. As others on this forum have pointed out, how one perceives the success/failure of any interview is not reliably reflective of where one stands in reality, acceptance-wise. You were offered an interview, which means they were interested: try to be mindful of while you wait to hear back.

My friend had a similar experience at a different school, and I suppose I have yet to fully understand the utility in the hostile-interrogative approach. I appreciate wanting to observe how a candidate deals under stressful situations, but I don't know. . . .I personally think one can learn a great deal more about a person's motivations/acumen/intellectual capacity through a non-intimidating, more conversational approach. 🙂 PS: My friend was accepted to that school. The diversity in interviewee stories I hear from within individual institution's never ceases to astound me.
 
Are you in the FB group? So far there are only two CA kids who've said anything.

I'm not in the FB group because I'm not 100% sure if I will attend KCUMB yet. I'm going to attend my AZCOM interview and my NSU "medical interview experience" (which doesn't actually have an interview 😕) first before I make my final decision. KCUMB is definitely top of my list... but I hear it is getting pooped on by the snow right now. You're Cali grown too aren't you? I consider 50 degree weather to be COLD 😳.

p.s. the more research I do, the more I lean towards KCUMB.
 
Last edited:
I'm not in the FB group because I'm not 100% sure if I will attend KCUMB yet. I'm going to attend my AZCOM interview and my NSU "medical interview experience" (which doesn't actually have an interview 😕) first before I make my final decision. KCUMB is definitely top of my list... but I hear it is getting pooped on by the snow right now. You're Cali grown too aren't you? I consider 50 degree weather to be COLD 😳.

p.s. the more research I do, the more I lean towards KCUMB.

KC weather is less than ideal but it could be a lot worse. The east coast and northern midwest have it a lot worse than us. The way I see it is we'll get to experience the 4 seasons (unlike here) but not have it as bad as it could be.

I got into both those schools (AZCOM + NSU). I felt KCUMB was the best of the lot. When you check them out, however, you can form your own opinion 👍
 
Last edited:
Brazen, sorry to hear about your less-than-hospitable interview experience, but try not to worry. As others on this forum have pointed out, how one perceives the success/failure of any interview is not reliably reflective of where one stands in reality, acceptance-wise. You were offered an interview, which means they were interested: try to be mindful of while you wait to hear back.

My friend had a similar experience at a different school, and I suppose I have yet to fully understand the utility in the hostile-interrogative approach. I appreciate wanting to observe how a candidate deals under stressful situations, but I don't know. . . .I personally think one can learn a great deal more about a person's motivations/acumen/intellectual capacity through a non-intimidating, more conversational approach. 🙂 PS: My friend was accepted to that school. The diversity in interviewee stories I hear from within individual institution's never ceases to astound me.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I did some searching around and found other instances of people who had a great interview and didn't get accepted and then had an interview where they felt they were just berated the whole time and then they did get accepted. Man I hope that happens to me. I guess I can just hope that I did respond the way he wanted - I remained firm in my resolve, but I didn't get angry (and I hope that is how I came across). And thinking back, we may have talked longer than I realize about good things on my application.

I guess at this point, whether I'm hopeful or not, it all comes down to what's in the letter I receive in the next two weeks.
 
Thanks for all the encouragement. I did some searching around and found other instances of people who had a great interview and didn't get accepted and then had an interview where they felt they were just berated the whole time and then they did get accepted. Man I hope that happens to me. I guess I can just hope that I did respond the way he wanted - I remained firm in my resolve, but I didn't get angry (and I hope that is how I came across). And thinking back, we may have talked longer than I realize about good things on my application.

I guess at this point, whether I'm hopeful or not, it all comes down to what's in the letter I receive in the next two weeks.



Sorry to hear about the interview. Hopefully, it was just a "test" like everyone has been saying, and you'll get accepted 😀
 
Anyone else interviewing 2/7 (next monday)?

Starting to get a little nervous. Any advice from accepted students/recently interviewed students??
 
Anyone else interviewing 2/7 (next monday)?

Starting to get a little nervous. Any advice from accepted students/recently interviewed students??



I know everyone says this, but HONESTLY be yourself. I personally was really nervous for my interview, but after hearing everyone explain how the interviewers just want to talk to compassionate, real human beings, I was fine and had a stellar interview. Just be yourself. 🙂

One thing I can say though is have an ethical situation ready that you can talk about. I know a lot of people were asked how they would respond to a chosen ethical situation (mine was end-of-life care).

If you have any specific questions, message me, and I'll be more than happy to assist.

Good Luck!
 
Hello fellow KCUMBers. Quick question. As a California resident I would love to eventually make it back to the sunshine. When I interviewed, my interviewer said I could come back to CA for rotations but after looking at the list of affiliated hospitals, I realized there aren't any CA rotation sites. Are we allowed to set up our own rotations or what's the deal? 😕

I Graduated from KCUMB in 2007. I set up tons of rotations in the sacramento, CA area.

-Hem/Onc and IM SUB I at UC Davis
-ER at Alameda County Medical Center in Oakland (Highland Hospital):scared:
-Cardiology and underserved rotation in Reno NV (I know not CA but it was close to Sactown.)
-Endocrinology and Neurology at Kaiser Sacramento


My core site was in Mobile, AL so I did all my third year stuff there and then I did the majority of my fourth year stuff in Cali.

I know there are not really any core sites in Cali but once you make it past your third year you can pretty much do whatever you want.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know there are not really any core sites in Cali but once you make it past your third year you can pretty much do whatever you want.

Yes, this is true. Third year core rotations have to be done at a core site listed (which you match into during your second year), but you have a lot of freedom during your fourth year. You do have 1 elective block during your third year that, while the OCCE office strongly encourages you to do at your core site, you can do it outside your core site, as long as it meets certain requirements set up by the OCCE. However, the vast majority of fourth year consists of sub-i's and electives that can be set up at any site, as long as you do the leg work to make it happen. There are three required rotations during fourth year (for the non-rural/underserved track): 1 ER core rotation, 1 Cardio core rotation, and 1 underserved/rural primary care rotation. Your ER and Cardio core rotations have to be done at a core site, but your rural/underserved primary care rotation can be done anywhere, as long as the rotation meets certain requirements. For the rural/underserved fourth year track option, you have 3 required rural/underserved primary care rotations instead of 1, in addition to the required 1 ER and 1 Cardio core rotations (basically, for the rural/underserved track, instead of having 2 sub-i's, like you would with the non-rural/underserved track, you have 2 additional rural/underserved rotations, which take the place of the sub-i's, making a total of 3).
 
Last edited:
Brazen, sorry to hear about your less-than-hospitable interview experience, but try not to worry. As others on this forum have pointed out, how one perceives the success/failure of any interview is not reliably reflective of where one stands in reality, acceptance-wise. You were offered an interview, which means they were interested: try to be mindful of while you wait to hear back.

Good advice. You just never know. Your perception of your interview may not be accurate. Wait and see. I had one interview that I swore went horribly in several ways, but led to an acceptance. It's hard to tell. Also, every interviewer is going to have a different style. Some like to play a game where they "test" you, others will be be more "friendly." I know it's a hard wait, but that's just what you'll have to do. Don't write it off just yet. It is well-known that KCUMB is typically pretty selective about who they invite for interviews. While nothing is absolute, it is highly likely that if they didn't like you, they wouldn't have invited you for an interview. There is likely a high probability of acceptance if you interview at KCUMB. The thing that could potentially add a monkey wrench to this picture is a very late interview, as one would expect.
 
Last edited:
Hey guys, over the past month I've been trying to decide between VCOM-CC and KCUMB...I think I am going to end up in KC because the school is established and has a reputation, but it's been a super hard decision. Anyway good luck to everyone and hope to meet you all soon!
 
Anyone watch Jersey Shore? Ronnie goes to the doctor in the last episode and he sees a doc who was a DO. The guy had his name and title clearly labeled on the outside of his practice they showed on TV. I was pretty excited to see that haha.
 
Anyone watch Jersey Shore? Ronnie goes to the doctor in the last episode and he sees a doc who was a DO. The guy had his name and title clearly labeled on the outside of his practice they showed on TV. I was pretty excited to see that haha.

Fist pump for the DO doc on TV. Shame on you for watching the Jersey Shore...👎
 
Fist pump for the DO doc on TV. Shame on you for watching the Jersey Shore...👎

Are you kidding, jersey shore's the most entertaining show I've seen on TV in a LONG time. You said fist pump, I'm sensing a closet fan :laugh:

haha I saw too, maybe we can get a thursday night jersey shore/always sunny study break going.

I'd be way down, calling my CT room for this event 👍
 
Are you kidding, jersey shore's the most entertaining show I've seen on TV in a LONG time. You said fist pump, I'm sensing a closet fan :laugh:



I'd be way down, calling my CT room for this event 👍


Haha. I hate to admit it, but I watch Jersey Shore as well... 😛 So, I'll be there!
 
does anyone know how high KCUMB students score on the COMPLEX? I have heard that the pass rate is ~95%.. but what is the raw score?
 
Are you kidding, jersey shore's the most entertaining show I've seen on TV in a LONG time. You said fist pump, I'm sensing a closet fan :laugh:

Gotta love a train wreck, right? It is about as entertaining as watching late 1980's "Cops" episodes. I haven't actually watched Jersey Shore but of course The Situation and Snooky have been on Leno and other late night TV so I have definitely seen the "Fist Pump". Also, Jimmy Fallon loves to fist pump.
 
does anyone know how high KCUMB students score on the COMPLEX? I have heard that the pass rate is ~95%.. but what is the raw score?

I don't have specifics, but I think performance, once you pass, is an independent factor that is not as attributable to the med school as it is the student.

Here are some interesting tidbits though:

If you look on Pg 10 of the KCUMB summer magazine you will see a list of specialties, which imply that the students did fairly well and landed a wide range of specialties:

http://www.kcumb.edu/Publications/SUMMER10mag_web.pdf


In this fall magazine you can read about how one '10 graduate is doing her residency at JHU in EM and another at Iowa for FM. (pg. 20)

http://www.kcumb.edu/Publications/Winter10_web.pdf

There are just two people, but it shows that attending KCUMB for school will not limit your chances of landing a solid highly competitive residency. 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WAHOOOO!!! Just got my acceptance letter! The first one is the best feeling EVER. If I don't get any love from my state schools, I'll be seeing you guys in KC in a few months 😀
 
WAHOOOO!!! Just got my acceptance letter! The first one is the best feeling EVER. If I don't get any love from my state schools, I'll be seeing you guys in KC in a few months 😀

I just got my acceptance letter as well. The first one is a fantastic feeling.
 
Haha. Hope your interview went well! There were only six of us not from that program.

It kinda hard to judge how it went. I was exhausted at the end and it felt like my interview wouldn't end. How was yours? how did you like KCUMB? were you the girl from pittsburg by chance?
 
It kinda hard to judge how it went. I was exhausted at the end and it felt like my interview wouldn't end. How was yours? how did you like KCUMB? were you the girl from pittsburg by chance?


Pittsburgh (silent 'h'.. lol). My interview went really well (my interviewers were awesome), and I loved KCUMB! I lucked out and interviewed first in my group. Which one of the 20 Bioscience students were you? lol
 
lol im the third brown guy..but i dint interview with u..i intervied january 19...but i am brown, and i did get accpeted and i am muslim and i wil ldefinitely be looking for a muslim roomate once i come to kansas city..not the worst part of my life starts, which is the deicing part..

ne one of u want to help me deicdie between kcumb, ccom (I AM A NATIVE OF CHICAGO, BORN AND RAISED), wvsom, westernu....depost idue in 4 days pelase help
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I got it, silly how SDN doesn't let you see your sent PM's.


It does, it's in your drop down menu within your PM box.

It says "Inbox" (right below the red, yellow, and green bar), but then you can select "Sent".

I don't think it required any special setting, but I know I see my sent messages.
 
Pittsburgh (silent 'h'.. lol). My interview went really well (my interviewers were awesome), and I loved KCUMB! I lucked out and interviewed first in my group. Which one of the 20 Bioscience students were you? lol

The one from southern california that went to Penn State Behrend. Glad you liked the school and that your interview went well!
 
It does, it's in your drop down menu within your PM box.

It says "Inbox" (right below the red, yellow, and green bar), but then you can select "Sent".

I don't think it required any special setting, but I know I see my sent messages.

I actually tried that, but I still can't see them. In the sent message folder, it says 0.
 
I actually tried that, but I still can't see them. In the sent message folder, it says 0.


Click on "My Account" in the top left hand corner of the screen.

Under "Settings & Options" click "Edit Options."

You should see a box that has "Private Message settings."

Scroll to the bottom of the "Private Message Settings" box and check the box by:

"Save a copy of sent messages in my sent items folder by default"

That should do the trick. It won't save your old messages, but it will save all your new ones moving forward. 😉
 
Click on "My Account" in the top left hand corner of the screen.

Under "Settings & Options" click "Edit Options."

You should see a box that has "Private Message settings."

Scroll to the bottom of the "Private Message Settings" box and check the box by:

"Save a copy of sent messages in my sent items folder by default"

That should do the trick. It won't save your old messages, but it will save all your new ones moving forward. 😉

Ah ok I see. Thanks!